April 20, 2024, 03:32:13 AM

Author Topic: Garth Roach - Former Tranquil GK passed  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Garth Roach - Former Tranquil GK passed
« on: September 29, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
Good Evening Forumites,
                                  Garth passed last Thursday. For those in the Va/Dc Metro area and Baltimore area,  His viewing will be at the Jenkins Funeral home off route 202 in Landover, PG County. I will get the address later. Time of the viewing is 6 pm to 9 pm. 

Garth played with Tranquil under the late Roderick Warner(RIP) when they got promoted. He was a decent keeper. He had a lot of competition from Hashim Khan who eventually went to Fatima. He also played a lot of savannah football. That is where I know him first. He lived in Maryland. Played for Ebony in Baltimore and some other teams in DC. He was very likeable guy. He and his family used to sell food(roti, bake and shark at all the Baltimore and DC football tournament and fetes, etc.  May the Higher Bless Him. RIP Garth.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Garth Roach - Former Tranquil GK passed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »
Garth Justin Wade Roach
April 15, 1954 – September 24, 2009
Written by Jenny "Fergie" Ferguson and Dexter Faustin
Garth Justin Wade Roach was born in Belmont and spent his formative years at 7 Industry Lane, before migrating to the U.S.A. “Roach” as he was favorably called, attended Tranquility Government Secondary School from 1966 – 1971. During his Tranquill years he starred in Track and Field and football. On the track, his colleagues were Dawn Martin, Joan Porter, the “Prescott” sisters; “Walcott” the “Ramsingh” brothers and “Fergie” to name a few. As the goal-keeper, he led Tranquil to victory in its 2nd intercol against Fatima in 1971. A featured article in the Sunday Guardian dated October 19, 1971 said and I quote “Fine effort by keeper, Garth Roach, the 16 year old Tranquility goal-keeper, stretches every inch of his tiny frame to put this Fatima shot around the post in Wednesday’s Intercol game played at St. Mary’s ground. Roach was one of the heroes of the game and did yeoman service in his team’s 2-0 win”. Team mates such as Brian Rigsby (captain), Dexter Faustin, Wade Coker, Vincent Benjamin, Tom Philip, Bert Balfour, Neil Clouden, Val Sebro, Neil Harvey (flag man),Anthony Clarence and Michael Wiley (now deceased) to name a few and they all admired and learnt from Johnny Hislop, Anthony Loney, Errol Joseph and Errol Sebro, whom they looked up to as their mentors and models.

Garth migrated to the U.S.A. in 1972 to join his mother (now deceased) who was already living in Baltimore, Maryland. He continued to run track and field. With just one season of U.S. soccer under his belt, he was named to the National All-Star squad for small colleges. After another season “Roach” graduated and earned scholarships to many large universities with good soccer programs. In 1975 Garth enlisted in the United States Army. Ft. Hood, Texas was his first duty station where he led his soccer team to two post championships and was chosen most valuable player.

Every spare minute he found, he practiced the soccer skills learnt during his Tranquil “glory” days. In Baltimore, Maryland, Garth also met with his beautiful wife, Bernadette Gordon and the blessed union of 33 years producing 2 wonderful children, Garth Roach Jr., and Chaconia Roach.

Garth Justin Wade Roach was called “Home” on Thursday, September 24, 2009 at the Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC.
A true ‘son of the soil’, a true’ Tranquillite’ and a ‘TRINI TO THE MARROW’

On Thursday, October 1, 2009 there will be a viewing from: 6:00 P.M. – 9;00 P.M
.at J.B. Jenkins Funeral Home; 7474 Landover Road, Landover, Maryland 20785;
301-322-2300 and on Friday, October 2, 2009, there will be another viewing from 9:00 A.M. to 10:00 A.M., followed by a Full Catholic Funeral Mass at 10:00 A.M. at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, 2020 St. Joseph Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20774; 301-773-4838. He will be buried with military rights and laid to rest at Cheltenham Veterans Cemetery, 11301 Crain Highway, Cheltenham, Maryland, 20623; 301-372-6398. For more information, contact:- The Roach residence @ 301-499-1193
Dexter Faustin @ 410-624-9748 and/or Fergie @ 301-412-5008.

Offline dspfootballer

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
RIP

What football team did he play for growing up in Belmont?
What elementary school did he attend?

Big Tom Phillip St Margret Boy's football star!!

Well writen tribute as well.
Can you post a photo please.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:04:24 PM »
Before my time at Tranquil, RIP son of the soil, bless
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
rip friend, neighbour, competitor..Garth played with Leeds, an did ah stint with Parkites, when 'Chuka' came in..nuff argument by Norville and Louie which was king...Chuka then saved for Belmont(i think), and Garth for Tranquil....Garth really didn't like saving, he just did for "kicks"....quiet as a young man, used to say -  "anybody else could score, except you...and you....and you....and you"  - then would just duck and smile when we buss shot on him...sorry didn't get to say it "Safe Journey G"...also young friend of the Wards, the McKenzies
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:25:25 PM by maxg »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »
RIP

What football team did he play for growing up in Belmont?
What elementary school did he attend?

Big Tom Phillip St Margret Boy's football star!!

Well writen tribute as well.
Can you post a photo please.

Yes a pic pls
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:22:40 PM »
Very nice tributes Deeks and Maxg... didn't know him, but ah sure Garth smiling from above all now  :beermug:

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:52:07 AM »
As a tranquil boy myself much respect to garth and the roach family......

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:10:01 AM »
RIP, Partner!  Garth was always pleasant and easy to talk to.  One season with Juniors Soccer Club of Washington, DC, I had Garth, Chucker, and Shaka on the squad.  I could only roster 20 players, thus, I had to cut myself.

Trevor Leiba

1]; } ?>