April 24, 2024, 02:53:42 PM

Author Topic: Thread for the T&T vs Costa Rica Game (10-Oct-09).  (Read 53449 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Thread for the T&T vs Costa Rica Game (10-Oct-09).
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:41:41 AM »
Greetings.

As usual, any updates/scores, shout-outs, reports, predictions, views, etc, on the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying game vs Costa Rica (October 10th) in San Jose, Costa Rica will be posted here, this way, we can help maintain the message board and not make it look too scrappy with un-necessary or related headlines and postings on game day.

Possible Live Internet Links.

I95.5fm

105.1FM

Justin TV

http://www.atdhe.net/

TV Viewing.

GolTV: LIVE – Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago at 10 p.m. ET

Chat

http://chat.socawarriors.net

T&T Squad:

Goalkeepers:
Marvin Phillip (W Connection), Jan-Michael Williams (W Connection), Glenroy Samuel (United Petrotrin).

Defenders:
Robert Primus (Jabloteh), Kern Cupid (W Connection), Radanfah Abu Bakr (Swansea FC), Dennis Lawrence (San Juan Jabloteh), Julius James (DC United).

Midfielders:
Jake Thomson (Southampton), Trent Noel (Joe Public), Densill Theobald (Caledonia), Leston Paul (University of South Florida), Keon Daniel (Caledonia AIA), Hughton Hector (W Connection), Carlos Edwards (Ipswich Town), Hayden Tinto (Joe Public), Clyde Leon (W Connection).

Forwards:
Kerry Baptiste (Joe Public), Devon Jorsling (Defence Force), Juma Clarence (United Petrotrin), Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:12:52 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the T&T vs Costa Rica Game (10-Oct-09).
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
we colleckin no less than 5 of the best in de Saprissa!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »
New Costa Rica coach faces early problems
(AP)

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Rene Simoes is the new soccer of Costa Rica, and has problems after one day on the job.

He was hired Wednesday, a day after Rodrigo Kenton was fired after three straight losses during World Cup qualifying.

The Brazilian coach had hoped to assemble his team two weeks before its final group qualifying games — Oct. 10 at home against Trinidad and Tobago and Oct. 14 in Washington against the United States.

On Thursday, the directors of two clubs — Saprissa and Cartagines — said they would not give up their players for two weeks to the national team.

"This was negotiated beforehand with first-division teams," Costa Rica federation president Eduardo Li said.

Costa Rica is trying to reach its third straight World Cup. It once led the North and Central American and Caribbean region but is now fourth with 12 points following losses to Honduras, Mexico and El Salvador. The U.S. leads with 16 points, one ahead of Mexico and three in front of Honduras.

The top three teams qualify automatically and the No. 4 team faces a playoff with the fifth-place team in South America. The fifth-place team in South America is currently Argentina.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »
How you so sure ?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »
Simoes: 'Costa Rica sí puede'
by Paul Kennedy (Soccer America)

[WORLD COP 2010 QUALIFYING] Brazilian Rene Simoes is confident he can turn around Costa Rica, which is in danger of missing out on the 2010 World Cup after leading the Hexagonal at the halfway point, but he is facing obstacles in preparing the Ticos for the final two games against Trinidad & Tobago and the USA.

Simoes wants to open training camp for domestic players on Tuesday, but two clubs, Saprissa and Cartagines, reportedly don't want to release players for two weeks to the national team.

Following Wednesday's surprise loss to the Columbus Crew, Saprissa is in danger of not qualifying for the knockout stage of the Concacaf Champions League.

Simoes insists he can get the job done.

"With 12 points," he said, "Costa Rica is very strong." He was referring to the 12 points in the Ticos' first five games (four wins and one loss). They have since lost to Honduras (4-0), Mexico (3-0) and El Salvador (1-0) and dropped to fourth place.

"Costa Rica sí puede," he said. ("Costa Rica can do it.")

"I'm very happy to coach Costa Rica," Simoes added. "I know its soccer. I've been in touch with what has been going on, and I'm a friend of Alexandre Guimaraes."

Guimaraes, Simoes' countryman, coached Costa Rica at the World Cup finals in 2002 and 2006.

Simoes is familiar with Concacaf teams, having coached Jamaica twice and Trinidad & Tobago.

He led the Reggae Boyz to the World Cup finals for the first time when they finished in the top three in 1997 Hexagonal. One of Jamaica's key results was a 1-1 tie with the USA at Washington's RFK Stadium.

Costa Rica will need a win on Oct. 14 at RFK to have any chance of overtaking the USA for one of the three automatic berths in the World Cup finals.

It currently holds a four-point lead over El Salvador in the battle for fourth place. Concacaf's No. 4 team will advance to a playoff against South America's No. 5 team for a berth in the finals.

Simoes also coached the Brazilian women's national team to the silver medal at the 2004 Olympics and coached three Brazilian teams earlier this year.

He handed in his resignation after officials of Portuguesa came into the locker room with guns on their belts and threatened the players after a loss.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »
TT needs to beat CR and Mexico to give ES the chance to get to SA2010,it was ES who gave TT a brilliant chance to go to Italy in 1990.ES held the US to a draw and that gave us the chance to get one point which we failed to do,lets do the best we can for them in return.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:13:59 PM »
What team allyuh think latas would play for this game? would he finally give james, roberts, jaggy, and hyland ah sweat? maybe even thompson.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:52:28 PM »
What team allyuh think latas would play for this game? would he finally give james, roberts, jaggy, and hyland ah sweat? maybe even thompson.

Latas need to bring in at least 4-5 new players into the team or he ent serious.

He need to say thank you for your contribution but is time to rebuild to the following players

Can't keep taking up a spot that younger players could fill now. There really is no excuse to keep these fellas around if he like them that much put them on the staff like he do with he partner Dwight.

Ince 37
Marvin Andrews 33
D Lawrence 35
K Thomas 31
Lyndon Andrews 33
Trent Noel 33
Spann 28 Yes Spann (he just not good enough)
Scotland 30 (chance just come and gone) 35 in 2014

Theobald 27 (on thin ice)
Samuel 28  (33 in 2014)

We need at least 4 years of younger players playing together to stand a chance of making it to the next world cup. These players ent that good to keep around. That is just the reality

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »

Latas need to bring in at least 4-5 new players into the team or he ent serious.

He need to say thank you for your contribution but is time to rebuild to the following players

Can't keep taking up a spot that younger players could fill now. There really is no excuse to keep these fellas around if he like them that much put them on the staff like he do with he partner Dwight.

Ince 37
Marvin Andrews 33
D Lawrence 35
K Thomas 31
Lyndon Andrews 33
Trent Noel 33

Samuel 28  (33 in 2014)

We need at least 4 years of younger players playing together to stand a chance of making it to the next world cup. These players ent that good to keep around. That is just the reality
The two samuels should definatly be part of our 2014 plans, Jlloyd and collin. i wouldn't mind keeping trent noel, if he stays fit , then i don't see why not, noel is 31 not 33 and by 2014 qualifers he'll be 34/35, so was yorke and latas in 06.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »

Ince 37
Marvin Andrews 33
D Lawrence 35
K Thomas 31
Lyndon Andrews 33
Trent Noel 33

Samuel 28  (33 in 2014)

The two samuels should definatly be part of our 2014 plans, Jlloyd and collin. i wouldn't mind keeping trent noel, if he stays fit , then i don't see why not, noel is 31 not 33 and by 2014 qualifers he'll be 34/35, so was yorke and latas in 06.

That is Colin. Jlloyd is ah must.

The reality is collin just aint that good to keep until he 33. We really need to get away from carrying on with these older players. Is not like is Henry on have. Is Collin Samuels. We have to get serious. Dwight and Latas are exceptions. Yuh really think we should be denying ah younger player to keep noel (33 I believe could be wrong) and samuels 4 more years on the team.
Is not like ah have anything personal against the following players is just that they not that good enough to say we can't start fresh.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »
Trinimassive, show me ah younger player who could play the left wing better than collin samuels? right now we using ah center mid tuh play on the left side, and i don't really know why either! especially when we have samuels who have speed, skills and could put ah good cross.

show me another youngun who could play trent's position better than him? that fella is ah beast, i wonder how he didn't make beenies team in 05/06. my belief is , if noel still have it come 2012 then why not let him continue? that fella is ah hard workin effective player, and just as useful as yorke and latas in 05/06.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Latapy might go with.

Phillip
Cupid, Abu Bakr, Lawrence, James
    Edwards, Noel, Leon, Daniel
            Jones, Baptiste

If it was up to me.

Williams
Cupid, Primus, Lawrence, James
   Edwards, Noel, Paul, Hector
           Winchester
              Jones
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »

Sweet, commentary is shit, but we'll take it. Only hope we give a good account ourselves.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Good luck, especially to the yutes!!!!!!!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »
Good luck T&T. I realized that Latas was aware of the holes in our wing backs and I feel that he will use Julius James in the left wing back, a position that Julius can handle as he did for Toronto (although not his original specialty position which is stopper) as he has enough speed and lovely ball control.  So happy to see him in the mix.

Excited to see Keeper Samuel, Juma, Primus being groomed as Samuel is the future provided he proves that he is strong in the air with crosses. Plenty fresh blood in defense. Happy to see Leston Paul too. Sorry not to see Daryl Roberts. Does anybody know why he is not getting called? Did something behind the scenes happen?

Hopefully,

Philip or Jan

Keyeno or Radanfah                 Tallest

Cupid (Help us Lord) or Carlos                                             Julius

Theobald                        Noel

Tinto                                                                         Hector

Jones                     Baptiste

Subs:        Leston Paul for Theobald,    Primus if a stopper is yellow carded.           
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:32:24 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »
TNT
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 10:16:09 PM »
ok costa rica stadium is the fake turf, so did tnt practice at the MLS at all this week?

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 10:26:05 PM »
sorry for going off topic but, i have one thing to say about roberts. the reason why he is not getting called up, is it because of where he is playing? location wise? for instance he can't handle making the trip from turkey to trinidad and back? dont get me wrong but thats a lot to handle...with all that jet lag.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
Simoes: It's not impossible.
FIFA.COM

It is no accident that Rene Simoes is often referred to simply as 'The Professor'. The Rio de Janeiro-born coach is every inch the thinking man, a student of the game and a thoughtful presence on the touchline. His latest assignment, to get foundering Costa Rica's 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ qualifying campaign afloat, may well be his trickiest to date. However, Simoes has no fear, only zeal for the challenge.

"When I was first contacted for the job, I thought, 'two games - what can I do in two games?' But I phoned around to [former Costa Rica coach and fellow Brazilian] Alexandre Guimaraes and other people who know Costa Rican football, and I started to get interested," he told FIFA.com. "I began to think, 'yeah, why not?' It's not impossible. We'll have our fate in our hands."

Simoes has coached women's teams (leading his native Brazil to an Olympic silver at Athens 2004), youth sides (in both Brazil and Iran) and vaunted clubs in his homeland, like Coritiba and Fluminense, over the last two decades. His travels, which have taken him to three continents, are varied to say the least.

We must focus on this first game and not worry about the USA or the play-offs or Argentina or anybody else. Costa Rica coach Rene Simoes on his side's upcoming qualifier with Trinidad and Tobago.

"The principles of the game are always the same," said the coach who insists on "living, driving, going to the cinema" in each country where he works. "But people everywhere are different and you must motivate them in different ways. Jamaicans are not the same as Iranians or Brazilians. You need to understand people and their culture first."

The 56-year-old's greatest claim to fame came in 1998, when, midway through his tenure at the Jamaica reins, he led the Reggae Boyz to their first-ever FIFA World Cup. France 1998 was the first-ever appearance at a world finals for an English-speaking Caribbean side and the overhaul that took place in the island's football was down, in large part, to Simoes. "As a coach I have many moments that make me smile, but as a human being my achievements in Jamaica make me happiest. We changed a culture there," he said, smiling.

Simoes's current position represents perhaps one of his most complicated. Costa Rica roared through the semi-final qualifying rounds in CONCACAF and then led the pack in the final hexagonal for months on end. However, the last three matches have seen crisis set in. Three straight losses, no goals scored and eight conceded brought the sacking of Rodrigo Kenton, and 'The Professor' took over with only three weeks to prepare the side for the two remaining qualifiers. Currently in fourth place and out of the running for the three automatic berths in the region, the new man will need better performances, goals and points.

First up is Trinidad and Tobago, a team Simoes guided in 2001 and 2002. He even famously benched current T&T coach Russell Latapy - then a player - for a disciplinary violation, adding spice to the weekend's duel. Trinidad and Tobago, already out of contention for South Africa, will be playing only for pride when they visit San Jose on 10 October, but this offers little comfort to the Brazilian.

"I know Trinidadian football," insisted Simoes, whose second game in charge will come four days later against USA in Washington DC. "They will play a tough game; they will play a freer game. In 2001, when I coached Trinidad, we went to Honduras after we were eliminated and we beat them in San Pedro Sula with ten men! So I will not look past them.

"We must focus on this first game and not worry about the USA or the play-offs or Argentina or anybody else," he added, making sideways reference to the fact that the fourth-placed finishers in CONCACAF will meet the fifth-placed South American team - possibly Argentina - in a play-off for one of the last spots at South Africa 2010.

Costa Rica coach Rene Simoes; I want only strong men in my squad. I want winners, thinking players who understand we must win now.

Simoes refuses to allow the short preparation time to become an excuse. "When you start talking about the weather or the surface of the field or the amount of time you have, that's an easy way to lose a game before you even kick off," he remarked. "We want to think, 'yes, we can do this.' So let's use the time we have and do it."

The new coach also stamped his authority on the squad list from the start, calling old captain Luis Marin out of retirement, recalling 35-year-old Rolando Fonseca and dismissing Gilberto Martinez. "I want only strong men in my squad," he declared. "I want winners, thinking players who understand we must win now."

"When I think about football I see it like bullfighting. The matador is obliged to kill the bull, but he doesn't run up to his face and shoot him with a big gun. There is an art, a dance, a ballet. I want my teams to win, but to win beautifully."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
World Cup Qualifying Preview: Costa Rica - Trinidad & Tobago
The once-mighty Ticos have turned to a new manager for their final two matches.

Celso Borges - Costa Rica (Mexsport)Once, not so long ago, Costa Rica was coming off of a 3-1 thrashing of the United States and sitting pretty on top of the Hexagonal standings. Four matches and three losses later, the Ticos are breaking in a new manager in hopes of rescuing a once-promising campaign.

Rene Simoes will get his first shot at a victory as Costa Rica manager on Saturday night when the Ticos host Trinidad and Tobago, but the situation is dire. A loss and Costa Rica's chances of avoiding the dreaded fourth place playoff finish versus a COMNEBOL team become very slim.

The good news is that in the four matches since toppling the U.S. the Soca Warriors are the only team Costa Rica have beaten. That night it took three goals from the Ticos to scape out a narrow win on the road. Unfortunately for Costa Rica, that was not only the last time they won, but the last time they found the net.

The Soca Warriors dreams of the World Cup are over. Despite having a potent attacking team, the Trinidadians have failed to find much offense since the final round of qualifying began and the defense has leaked far too many goals. Five points from eight matches was not enough to keep T&T in the running, but they have been a tough out at times.

In their last outing, which was a must-win if they were to keep hopes of the World Cup alive, T&T pushed the U.S. throughout the game. It was an unlikely strike from Ricardo Clark that became the only difference in the match.

Players To Watch:

Costa Rica: Celso Borges. Borges captained the squad that fell 1-0 to El Salvador in Costa Rica's last outing, but more importantly scored twice in the win over T&T in Port of Spain.

Trinidad and Tobago: Kenwyne Jones. The big striker has yet replicate his club form for T&T, but he is without question one of the most dangerous players in the region if the rest of the Soca Warriors can provide him with any quality service.

Goal.com Prediction: Costa Rica are on their worst run of form in recent memory, but should be bolstered by a new manager and a chance to play their way out of fourth place. Costa Rica 2-1 Trinidad and Tobago.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 12:18:53 PM »
10PM live on CNMG for Local Based

heard it on the news the other night

I would like to thank CNMG for their support and showing the games in good quality with good commentary for the majority of the games

Vidial was tops.. but when he invited Ruskin for the Honduras game that was the only regret he should have lol

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »
sorry for going off topic but, i have one thing to say about roberts. the reason why he is not getting called up, is it because of where he is playing? location wise? for instance he can't handle making the trip from turkey to trinidad and back? dont get me wrong but thats a lot to handle...with all that jet lag.

Dwight travel from Australia so I think DR young enough to make the adjustments

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Yaaaaayyyyy! T&T vs Costa Rica LIVE on GOL TV Canada from 10pm eastern!
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
Niceness. 

Now ah could watch de cutass live and direck from de comfort of meh livin room.

GO T&T!!!

BTW...other games being broadcast in Canada on Saturday (all times Eastern)

11:00 am - Germany vs Russia (BIG MATCH...loser would likely not automatically qualify and would have to go through playoffs)  - CBC

2:00 pm - U 20 Germany vs Brazil - CBC

3:45 pm - Portugal vs Hungary (Portugal clinging to SLIM playoff hopes...MUST WIN for them) - Setanta

4:00 pm - Toronto FC vs San Jose Earthquakes - (MUST WIN for Toronto FC to make de playoffs) - CBC

5:45 pm - Belgium vs Turkey (BIG GAME for Turkey WCQ hopes) - Setanta

7:30 pm - Greece vs Latvia (BOTH are still in with a good chance of automatic qualification or at least going to the playoffs) - Setanta

9:00 pm - USF Final Montreal vs Vancouver - Fox Sports World Canada
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
Re: Yaaaaayyyyy! T&T vs Costa Rica LIVE on GOL TV Canada from 10pm eastern!
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
Dis is on GolTV in the US too- I real fraid to watch dis game tho, since it may spoil my Carnival weekend.  :-[

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »
Is this an assumption or the real reason , and according to whom, as in where did you get this info from ?

in other words, is he getting called up and not responding , or is it that the TTFF can't afford tickets from turkey to T&T?
positive.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:41 PM »
Senior team arrives in Costa Rica

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rIE8xez4M-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rIE8xez4M-k</a>

T&T Senior Team Training in Costa Rica

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0f-NisMcKI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d0f-NisMcKI</a>

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 01:51:17 AM »
ah hope ray hudson not commentatin..he go make we out rel bad if we doin shit

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 06:22:46 AM »
ah hope ray hudson not commentatin..he go make we out rel bad if we doin shit

So Tom Cruise does post u cyah handle d truth.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>