April 18, 2024, 03:36:11 PM

Author Topic: Trinis in Action (Sept 18-19, 2009)  (Read 10196 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Burnley v Sunderland
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »
If he starts consistently he can average 15-20 and at a big team where he'd get better opportunities he could net 20-25.

Would love to see it, but for now I'd say that's doubtful.  That's where the top scorers in any given league end up at the close of the season...i.e.-The David Villas and the Eto'os of the world....KJ eh there yet.  He's we boy, but he not at them fellas level of deadliness...plain talk eh no bad manners. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
Bruce done show his feelings bout Caribbean players long time ago,ah just hope KJ GO TO A GOOD TEAM WHEN THE TIME COMES.

which team would buy KJ ? ... a second division squad maybe ?

Problem with Jones is his mobility, which is not really surprising, given his size. I saw a number of threads unfairly comparing Jones with Didier Drogba. In fact, if you are going to compare Jones with big players in the league, he should be compared with guys like Emile Hesky, John Carew, Marlon Harewood etc. while Drogba is a big guy, he certainly is more mobile than Jones. He also brings alot more to the table in terms of dead ball situations.

Jones probably can average 10-15 goals per season at a team like Villa or Everton. Not sure he would do well at any of the consistent top 5 teams, simply because of the mobility and dead ball factor.

You made some sense but still talk plenty rubbish fella, Jones has less dribbling abilities that Drogba, his deadball abilities are unknown as of right now.  Mobility?  U must be crazy, KJ runs like a gazelle.  I doubt Drobga could catch KJ in a sprint too the ball from a dead stop (but that is conjecture anyway).  Drogba is effective at using all of his footballing attributes while many see KJ as yet fulfilled as far as his potential go.  Carew would be a sensible comparison, Heskey in certain respects but his finishin is even more attrocious than KJ's.  If he starts consistently he can average 15-20 and at a big team where he'd get better opportunities he could net 20-25.

If you have been playing professional football for over 5 years now and still dont know what your deadball abilities are, its because you dont have much dead ball ability. And Mobility is not all about break-neck speed or who can outsprint who...there is much more to it than that. Like I said, Jones will have better returns at a better club than sunderland, Villa, Evertin comes to mind...but at a top 5 club, his physical abilities become less important...his all-round game is what is going to get him a starting role. thats why Heskey was such a big failure during his time at Liverpool.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »

I eh agree with yuh dey at all.  It ha plenty people in here (many secretly) happy he got benched despite doing nothing to warrant it.  He is often thought of as "feeling he reach" and having "starboy mentality" so I doubt the people that believe that really want good from him.  I will more easily believe they want see him either falter (maybe temporarily) professionaly or be benched so that he is humbled.  Personally I find that to be a horrid attitude to have for any of our players but some of us aren't really fans of the sport and our players if the national team isn't doing well.  If KJ was bussin the net for us no one would care about his percieved attitude of himself much like how they ignore other national players (who have arguably performed better) and their attitudes.

Peter yuh make some sense fella!

Jai John you talkin some rell emotional outta timin c**tishness!

You can't say he did nothing to warrant being benched unless you think that S. Bruce has a personal grouse with him.  Campbell got the start last week because KJ was being rested after int'l duty, and Campbell impressed- impressed enough to make the coach feel he deserved to get another look.  If KJ was that dominant a player, he woulda been back on the field this weekend, so his failure to convince Bruce that he deserves to be in the starting XI all else being equal (not being rested), is what he did to deserve being benched.  I eh no KJ hater, but let's be real- whether or not it's his solely his fault, alot of the sentiments expressed about Kenwyne suggest that based on his performances, it's not outrageous to think that a coach would experiment with other players in the interest of improvement.

It's also natural that people would be less concerned with his non-footballing traits if he's doing the business on the field....because people are first and foremost fans of him as a football player...When people criticize his personality it's not because they care about his personality alone- of course not- why would they?  it's because they believe certain non footballing attributes (eg his personality) are negatively affecting his football performance.... because again, that's what football fans are most concerned with....Just because someone criticizes something about him (especially if they believe it impacts his performance) doesn't mean that he/she isn't a true fan...Yuh could argue that a true fan talks his mind (even if they talkin' sh*t  :D )

Like ah say, I eh no KJ hater, I dunno nuttin' about him having a starboy mentality...I try watch all his games hoping to see him rip up, and that will never change..and the truth is, he's a frustrating player to watch sometimes....He's one of those, when he's on he's on...but when he's off, it's that bad it could make yuh cringe.......but he's a big man and a professional in the spotlight, and when he not doing the business he must be prepared to get pong- that's how it is in every sport, and in every culture...and my guess is that KJ could barely give a damn what people write on a msg board or who on a msg board secretly want him tuh get bench... if it matters that much to him, he better harden his belly or improve his game 'cause it eh go get no better..... no matter how much allyuh repeatedly rush to his defense as soon as someone criticizes him.

Before departing for international duty he was playing well with Bent and both were scoring goals.  Bent is still scoring, Campbell and Jones no longer are.  Resting KJ last week made sense considered he arrived in the morning of the game from such a long travel.  True Cambpell looked good last week but again, that was against Hull City.  How good did he look this week against Burnley?  When I said last week that Bruce would be an ass to do so against Burnley some probably thought I was crazy but Burnley is on an overacheivin high right now not very different from Hull last year around this time.  Having KJ come off the bench this weekend shows that he either favors Campbell, cant keep perspective (since he impressed against Hull, not too difficult these days) or doesn't really appreciate Jones.  usually an incumbent has to perform terribly or the bench player has shown the ability to play far better than the starter to warrant a shift in startin XI.  So with that I am willing to believe that Bruce' affection for english players might be a motivational factor here.  Based on what was displayed on the field in their first 4 games, I (from my limited vantage point) can't see what KJ did to warrant being benched.

The reality is KJ has scored in 1 game, 2 goals but only in 1 game, the way you have put it, it sounds as if he was scoring every other game. 

In reality in the first half Burnley only had the penalty and no other chances and Campbell played his part, we were certainly no better when KJ came on and indeed he was responsible for some very sloppy play that lead to teh 3rd goal. 

Maybe Bruce is seeing something from Campbell in training / games that he isn't seeing from KJ I was amazed KJ didn't start I was also amazed at the back 4 that started.  This has nothing to do with English or T&T, if you believe that you are just kidding yourself.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:37 PM »
I think KJ's confidence is on a low right now...coming off the bench did not help him nor Sunderland against Burnley.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
The reality is KJ has scored in 1 game, 2 goals but only in 1 game, the way you have put it, it sounds as if he was scoring every other game. 

In reality in the first half Burnley only had the penalty and no other chances and Campbell played his part, we were certainly no better when KJ came on and indeed he was responsible for some very sloppy play that lead to teh 3rd goal. 

Maybe Bruce is seeing something from Campbell in training / games that he isn't seeing from KJ I was amazed KJ didn't start I was also amazed at the back 4 that started.  This has nothing to do with English or T&T, if you believe that you are just kidding yourself.

I am not trying to distort things, but apart from the 2 goals he was doing his part to free up Bent.  Bent seems to be in form right now and might be untouchable right now but on the field Campbell hasn't been leaps and bounds better than KJ (atleast not IMO).  I am simply searching for plausable reasons why Bruce would make the switch.  Look at the results so far, throw out the Chelsea result (as most pencilled that a lost long before the gameday), they beat 2 teams that more than likely will finish above them in Everton and Blackburn. Then put in an other wise credible effort against a stronger than credited Stoke.  Seems to me they were doing their part despite KJ only scoring 2 goals in a single game.  Next game you beat HC like you should have and probably would have if KJ had started so I not ready to anount FC based on that.  Then to go an collect 3 from Burnley (who only scored 3 in 5 games to that point)?  Up until they beat Sunderland, Burnley had only scored 3 goals in total yet they bury 3 on SAFC?  Burnley defense isn't great (even though they have a few clean sheets) but it is fairly solid, why Bent-Campbell eh combine for 2 or 3 goals?  I conceed it's possible he looking good in practice but results need to be seen.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2009, 03:58:06 AM »
Yes results are everything but at the end of the season you usually get the position roughly what your performances deserve.

If you had watched the Burnley matches they have been outplayed for a fair bit of them, Everton and United both missed penalties and they have carried a little deserved luck similar to Hull last season.

KJ has been doing his bit, but so did Campbell when brought in and played in his position not RSM where he has been brought in as sub.  I prefer KJ to Campbell but having watched Campbelll a bit although different type of players I don't think either will get stacks of goals in a season.  The midfield isn't playing its part either only Andy Reid is being consistantly creative.

Don't get me started on the defence, I have gone on about it for teh past 3 seasons and still can't figure out why he started with that back 4.

Cup match tonight and it has been widely reported both Da Silva and mensah will start and Bruce is looking to start them in teh EPL aswell, my view is that is the only way you will find out about them and whether they can adjust, it isn't a big gamble considering who they are replacing aren't upto the job in the first place.

1]; } ?>