March 28, 2024, 10:45:52 AM

Author Topic: Aaron Maund: I have always wanted to represent the red, white & blue.  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Aaron Maund: I have always wanted to represent the red, white & blue.
By: Brian Sciaretta (Yanks Abroad).

One of the more interesting paths to making the USA U20 World Cup roster was that of Notre Dame defender, Aaron Maund. As a duel citizen of the United States and Trinidad and Tobago, Maund represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2007 U17 World Cup in South Korea.

Prior to the 2009 U20 World Cup Qualifying in March, Maund filed his application with FIFA to switch national team affiliations to the United States. This application, which a player who holds dual citizenship and is uncapped at the senior level is allowed to make only once, was approved. Maund, 18, played for the USA and helped the team qualify for the tournament in Egypt.

"I had a good experience at the U17 level with Trinidad and Tobago in South Korea, and I will always be thankful for that opportunity," Maund said of his national team affiliation switch. "That being said, I have always wanted to represent the red, white and blue, so when the opportunity presented itself it was not that hard of a decision. I couldn't be more excited to be with the USA."

In 2008, Maund started every game for Notre Dame. He quickly became widely recognized as one of the best freshman defenders in the country. One of the strengths he brings to both Notre Dame and the USA U20 team is his versatility of being able to play across the backline.

"In the past I've played a lot of centerback for the U20s and thats were I play at Notre Dame, so I am most comfortable there, but it really depends on what the coaching staff has in mind. Many of the players on the team are versatile so there are a bunch of different ways we can play."

A professional career is certainly a goal for Maund and he doesn't downplay the opportunity the U20 World Cup affords to impress scouts.

"It has always been a dream of mine to play professional soccer, and it is something I think about everyday. The U20 World Cup is definitely a tournament that attracts countless scouts and attention from professional clubs, and has propelled many careers to the next level."

As to where Maund would like to play professionally whenever he concludes his Notre Dame career, he admits that while he is fond of MLS and it could be an option, Europe is a goal for him.

"I have always seen myself playing in Europe, just because the sport is so much bigger there. You have your Chelseas, and Barcelonas and I think it would be amazing to be a part of a club like that with so much tradition and fans that live and die with their club. But, with the strides that the MLS has been taking in the past couple of years I could definitely see myself in the MLS as well and would never overlook the opportunity. After all, it is the league I grew up watching."

Maund also says that while the big European clubs are always a dream, a good starting place could be in one of mid level leagues throughout Europe. This has been the path taken by several Americans who have played in Europe.

"Everyone wants to go to the big clubs in Spain, England and Italy but I feel as though the Scandinavian countries, as well as Holland and Germany are great places for young Americans to start their careers. Charlie Davies is a good example of this. He's a guy that played for the rivals of my high school, Roxbury Latin, then found his way over to Sweden and has recently moved over to a big club in France."

As for the USA U20 team at the World Cup, Maund was with the team at qualifying and has seen the group come together. He sees a lot of potential and thinks the USA team can surprise in Egypt.

"I think we have a great chance of not only advancing to the knockout stages but winning the whole thing. We have a tight-knit and talented group that is team oriented and not only wants to win but believes we can win. That is a deadly combination that I think will take us a long way."

The U20 World Cup will certainly be a significant opportunity for several players on the USA team. Many of the players on this team are at a crossroads in terms of their development paths and will be looking further their careers in the near future. The tournament in the past has been the springboard for many USA players and this year should be no different.

For Stephens and Maund, the tournament will provide an excellent opportunity to step onto the international stage and put themselves into a strong position to earn their first professional contracts with clubs that can help them reach their potential.

Related News

Maund still opts for T&T over the USA.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

07-Sept-07 - United States-born National Under 17 player Aaron Maund says he would choose Trinidad and Tobago over the country of birth if he had to make that selection any time in the future.

And why? Not only because he’s now represented T&T at a FIFA Under 17 World Championship but because he prefers the feeling he experiences when wearing the red, white and black. In other words, he prefers the vibes of the “Soca Warriors”.
Maund, a 16-year old was in the final pool in the US team before being cut prior to the team’s final qualifying campaign in April. His father being Trinidadian allowed him to play for T&T while another player- Sheannon Williams, who was once attached to Joe Public FC went on to play for the US as a defender at the World Championship. Both Maund and Williams grew up playing in Dorchester. Both players were also part of the Greater Boston Bolts club which won a US National Under 16 title a couple years back.

“The results of the U17 World Cup could go far in determining the futures of its participants. Most of the starting players in this event are either with professional clubs or destined for them soon. The emergence of Maund and Williams also symbolizes the progress of local players, dozens of whom have forged professional careers from Major League Soccer to Eastern Europe,” the Boston Globe newspaper stated.

Maund meantime took everything he could with him from the Korea experience. He started all three matches against Ghana, Colombia and Germany and managed two of T&T’s better chances on goal against the Germans.

“It’s been a really good experience. Coming from the US meant I didn’t know a lot of the guys here at first. But the team welcomed me into the family and that helped the transition. My level of play has grown over the experience and that’s been the benefit of it,” Maund told TTFF Media. He added that he didn’t see any major differences between the T&T and US camps.
“When I first came here I felt the only difference was the accent. It’s a lot of the same… the same stuff in training, the guys are very similar. Some of the off the field things may be different but it’s really isn’t that big of a difference. I think everyone wants to succeed and work hard at trying to achieve that. We need to do more though.”

So which country would he choose tomorrow if the option to represent either country came up again.

“It’s easy! I would be with the Trinidad and Tobago team because I enjoy playing with this team… the coaching staff and all… it’s more of a family unit as opposed to the US where it’s like each player for himself which is the feeling I got. The (T&T team) staff cares about you and the players as well and that’s the kind of unit I want to be in. I want to go on trials possibly outside but next year is the Under 20s and I’ll be back for that definitely. I’m working towards playing for the Trinidad and Tobago Senior team in the future,” Maund concluded.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:12:59 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Aaron Maund: I have always wanted to represent the red, white & blue.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 07:15:53 PM »

One of the more interesting paths to making the USA U20 World Cup roster was that of Notre Dame defender, Aaron Maund. As a duel citizen of the United States and Trinidad and Tobago, Maund represented Trinidad and Tobago at the 2007 U17 World Cup in South Korea.
the headline and this paragraph doh match ::)
ah lie?
but, then again he was only U17 at the time
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:19:16 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:47 PM »

the headline and this paragraph doh match ::)
ah lie?
but, then again he was only U17 at the time

What hard 2 understand he wanted 2 play 4 d USA he get blank and he qualifiy 2 play 4 me so he play 4 we. Now he gettin 2 play d land of his birth .
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 07:46:23 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

:devil:

:rotfl:  :rotfl: :rotfl: that fella lie through his teeths dread wayyy this family talk bs steups...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 07:55:25 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

:rotfl:  :rotfl: :rotfl: that fella lie through his teeths dread wayyy this family talk bs steups...

All yuh not honest y would he not want 2 play 4 d US he is a yankee.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

same shit as Zamora english thats not my problem though my problems is the comment he made bout wanting to represent us perminently then saying he always only wanna play for the USA and have no hard feelings bout droppin T&T...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:59:21 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

same shit as Zamora english thats not my problem though my problems is the comment he made bout wanting to represent us perminently then saying he always only wanna play for the USA and have no hard feelings bout droppin T&T...

;D ;D   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

weary, i hear wat yuh sayin. i jus doh  like how he use we. if he always wanted to play for d usa, dat is all well an good, but doh use we conveniently. ah have a serious problem wid dat.
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:09:33 PM »
Allyuh could really beat a dead horse boy ....jeeez

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
doh worry aaron, it will always have players who use us until dey get what dey want.  U are not de first or last.  

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »
F*ck Maund!!!  8)
you is Big Mag wife?

weary, i hear wat yuh sayin. i jus doh  like how he use we. if he always wanted to play for d usa, dat is all well an good, but doh use we conveniently. ah have a serious problem wid dat.

U is 17 u want 2 play football anybody give u d opportunity 2 play u go take it. D media officer ask yuh bout yuh experience. U eh go say I only playin 4 TNT because d US eh want me. What else would he have said?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
doh worry aaron, it will always have players who use us until dey get what dey want.  U are not de first or last.  

We does use nuff peeps and discard dem so no big ting if players do d same.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 10:28:08 PM »

ent, it is only a matter of time before he end up on a blacklist

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 10:44:01 PM »

ent, it is only a matter of time before he end up on a blacklist

Exactly

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 12:50:52 AM »
play yuh fitball kid

and call zamora
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »

The man simply change the black in the flag to blue yes but we know if Sam ketch up with Aaron tail he will make sure he either cuss Aaron black and blue or literally leave Aaron black and blue for using T&T and then back stabbing we!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 05:30:14 AM »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »
F00CK Aaron Maund
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »
Did Aaron Maund get any game for USA at the 2009 under 20 world cup ?

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
nope.. hold a hard bench
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>