April 28, 2024, 03:53:46 PM

Author Topic: Jeter becomes second fastest woman in history  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jeter becomes second fastest woman in history
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:25:24 AM »
  SHANGHAI, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- Carmelita Jeter, the 2009 world championship 100 meters bronze medalist, posted the world's fourth fastest time ever, clocking 10.64 seconds in the Shanghai Golden Grand Prix here on Sunday.

She also became the second fastest woman in history, only after fellow American and world record holder Florence Griffith-Joyner.

The result was the fourth fastest on the all-time list. Griffith-Joyner clocked three faster times, 10.49, 10.61 and 10.62,all in 1988. American Marion Jones was the third fastest in 10.65.

Jeter has maintained a super form, clocking 10.67 seconds in the season's final event in Greece.

Veronica Campbell-Brown of Jamaica, who upset the American in Beijing and Berlin, was second in 10.89 and Chandra Sturrup of Bahamas was third in 11.03.

"I started well today and the track was comfortable," said the30-year-old Jeter.

On the Griffith-Joyner's world records, she said, "It was a great record. I am now closer to it."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Jeter becomes second fastest woman in history
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »
http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=54451.html

Sunday, 20 September 2009
Gay 9.69 and Jeter 10.64 at 100m; Liu Xiang makes dazzling comeback –
Shanghai Golden Grand Prix

Shanghai, China – The equal second quickest men’s 100m sprint all-time and the fourth quickest women’s 100m in history were the undoubted highlights of the 2009 Shanghai Golden Grand Prix (20).

Yet they can be no doubting that the dramatic 13.15 sec comeback from injury for China’s former World and Olympic 110m Hurdles champion Liu Xiang is what excited the crowd most at the IAAF Grand Prix in Shanghai, the home city of China’s ultimate sporting hero.

Gay - 9.69sec

USA’s Tyson Gay produced a blistering display to lower his American 100 metres record and power past early leader Jamaica’s Asafa Powell and improve the 9.71sec record he set on the heels of Usain Bolt in Berlin, winning in 9.69 seconds (+2.0 m/s). Powell finished a well beaten second in 9.85 with American Darvis Patton, third, 9.89, which equalled his PB. Nester Carter of Jamaica was fourth in 9.91 (PB).

Gay’s run was the second-fastest of all-time equalling the clocking that Usain Bolt achieved when winning the Olympic gold in a World record in Beijing.

Gay's previous US record of 9.71 was achieved when winning the World Championships silver medal behind Bolt last month, who improved the World record to 9.58 on that occasion to win the World title.

Jeter - 10.64

USA’s Carmelita Jeter, who ran 10.67 last weekend in Thessaloniki to become the third fastest female sprinter of all-time, lowered her 100m PB again to 10.64 (1.2m/s) to become the second faster sprinter in history. Her time is the fourth fastest on the all-time list headed by three runs in 1988 by USA’s World record holder Florence Griffith- Joyner.

Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown and Chandra Sturrup of the Bahamas, clocked 10.89 and 11.03 respectively for second and third today.

China's Liu Xiang made his first appearance since pulling up injured at the start of his 110m Hurdles heat at last summer's Olympic Games in Beijing, posting a dazzling 13.15 sec, the same as race winner Terrence Trammell who won on the photo-finish. Liu Xiang was well down on the American at half way but powered home to close on the American on the line.

IAAF

A full report will follow later from our correspondent Jean Yung in Shanghai
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
 :praying:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »
:praying:

I can guess what that prayer is about!

For the sake of athletics future image I'm hoping that they are both clean too!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
I know! it kinda seems fishy that she just started running so fast this late into the season and so sudden. However she does have great technique and has worked hard so I just hope and pray she is clean! and of couse Tyson Gay.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
If iz only Flo Jo ahead of her then she is really d WR holder.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:02:55 AM »
Dem records have ah "made in china" stamp on them.

Good to see that at 30 yrs old records could still be made 

Ah want some ah that china water in meh beer mug :beermug:

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:24:01 AM »

Same wid Gay  :mackdaddy:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »

What are you implying?

The only person ahead of Gay now is Bolt!  :-\

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »

LOUDEST OF STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline panjazz

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »

What are you implying?

The only person ahead of Gay now is Bolt!  :-\

Me eh implying nutten. I sayin it big and bold....GAY TOO!!!

And me eh care who vex.......

1]; } ?>