April 28, 2024, 11:42:40 AM

Author Topic: Does T&T Football on the whole ever focus on Defense and endurance?  (Read 6636 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
You know watching this last sr campaign and go down to the youth level. Do these tt coaches know how to have a well organized backline who can run for 120 mins?

and when i say 120 mins, im referring to the german program where players have the ability to run the full 90 mins and extra time at a high level.

The only time i have seen our players up to the task was under beenhakker, a good coach who focused on defense and reducing errors made by the unit, hence i highlight unit, not individual, wim was the asst coach who organized the backline. we had the fitness level at the world cup, but it evades us in qualifying time and time again.

Like I said before 2006 germany, if the players are together for more than a month training, we will be a very good side, beenhakker of course is not perfect, neither wim but they had a organized team.

You saw what a good coach and asst coach can do, unlike our recent qualifying and what i just witnessed with our u20 team. Keeping in mind corneal was just an observer for the sr team in 2006. Not a significant contributor atall.

If the ttff and jack warner wanna see tt qualify and do well in fifa tournaments, they will have an excellent coach and asst coach, not to mention a conditioning coach that can keep them running for more than 90 mins at a high level.

Thats all tt have always missed, a coach, asst coach and trainer whos world class, we have the players, dont fool yourself, our sr team and u20 if it were coaches by competent individuals we would not be talking about losing by 4 goals and not qualifying for south africa.

Not to mention, defense would be an integral part of our football program, it feels like defense is never the emphasis when coming to tt football, it almost feels like people think the biggest shithounds are the defenders in tt..

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Does T&T Football on the whole ever focus on Defense and endurance?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
But I thought you say we problem is a lack of creative attacking players like Hardest, Guerra, Dwarika, Theobald, Tinto and anybody who ever come from East Dry River or who does lime dey regular?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
But I thought you say we problem is a lack of creative attacking players like Hardest, Guerra, Dwarika, Theobald, Tinto and anybody who ever come from East Dry River or who does lime dey regular?  8)

lol haha thats also a problem, ask scotland and jones why they couldnt score a single goal for the natl team this campaign? :o where the u20 is concerned, creativity is not the problem, there coaching staff and trainers are the biggest problem...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »
Nope. We dont. Ah mean...defence is where yuh go play for a lil bit when yuh tired..or yuh playing mess.  Dahs "we football" ent? We have all dis natural skill and flair....who needs defence? We go jus outscore dem ent? Endurance...steups.....laps and ting is when yuh giving trouble and getting discipline. We eh need dat.....people doh give yuh clap and bawl out when yuh running hard....is when yuh hit man spanner and dribble past 3 men and hit a shot dat goes for a throw.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:24:46 PM »
You know watching this last sr campaign and go down to the youth level. Do these tt coaches know how to have a well organized backline who can run for 120 mins?

and when i say 120 mins, im referring to the german program where players have the ability to run the full 90 mins and extra time at a high level.

The only time i have seen our players up to the task was under beenhakker, a good coach who focused on defense and reducing errors made by the unit, hence i highlight unit, not individual, wim was the asst coach who organized the backline. we had the fitness level at the world cup, but it evades us in qualifying time and time again.

Like I said before 2006 germany, if the players are together for more than a month training, we will be a very good side, beenhakker of course is not perfect, neither wim but they had a organized team.

You saw what a good coach and asst coach can do, unlike our recent qualifying and what i just witnessed with our u20 team. Keeping in mind corneal was just an observer for the sr team in 2006. Not a significant contributor atall.

If the ttff and jack warner wanna see tt qualify and do well in fifa tournaments, they will have an excellent coach and asst coach, not to mention a conditioning coach that can keep them running for more than 90 mins at a high level.

Thats all tt have always missed, a coach, asst coach and trainer whos world class, we have the players, dont fool yourself, our sr team and u20 if it were coaches by competent individuals we would not be talking about losing by 4 goals and not qualifying for south africa.

Not to mention, defense would be an integral part of our football program, it feels like defense is never the emphasis when coming to tt football, it almost feels like people think the biggest shithounds are the defenders in tt..

Ah could tell you are a very passionate fan....

Having been on the youth national team set up, yes, they do practice with the intention of playing 120 minutes.  However, me eh care how superfit you are, if yuh under constant pressure there is only so much yuh could do....

Agree with the lack of emphasis on defense though.  That has never been our strong point. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »
defense and endurance that only half of it....what about possession, ...playing off the ball just to mention a few

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:09:56 PM »

Having been on the youth national team set up, yes, they do practice with the intention of playing 120 minutes.  However, me eh care how superfit you are, if yuh under constant pressure there is only so much yuh could do....

Agree with the lack of emphasis on defense though.  That has never been our strong point. 

So basically we outa we depth? Being under pressure and not keeping the ball and attacking enough.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »

So basically we outa we depth? Being under pressure and not keeping the ball and attacking enough.

i still believe the training is not up to par in comparison to what some of my cousins was doing in a country like holland for the 1st division sides.. the training is anything but lapsing, not to mention the coaching is atrocious, especially the coaches who get picked in tt...

we are not out of dept, we are very talented in fact, problem is the attitude, mentality, ability to concentrate for long periods and the coaches and trainers...

with the right coaching staff and training staff,a sports psychologist and a good td, these youths would be dominating concacaf on the regular, this however takes money, money that the govt will not put out even though they have it and jw cant fund everything... so we stuck with 2nd rate coaches and trainers..

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:02:22 PM »
nope only when L.B.was there

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

i still believe the training is not up to par in comparison to what some of my cousins was doing in a country like holland for the 1st division sides.. the training is anything but lapsing, not to mention the coaching is atrocious, especially the coaches who get picked in tt...

we are not out of dept, we are very talented in fact, problem is the attitude, mentality, ability to concentrate for long periods and the coaches and trainers...

with the right coaching staff and training staff,a sports psychologist and a good td, these youths would be dominating concacaf on the regular, this however takes money, money that the govt will not put out even though they have it and jw cant fund everything... so we stuck with 2nd rate coaches and trainers..

Totally agree.  Until our coaching stock improves, we will continue to be deficient.  We can't depend on the national team to teach these fellas how to play; the foundation has to be laid by the clubs, and we are severaly lacking at that level.  Our pro clubs need to really improve their training facilities, improve on player conditioning, nutrition, and general approach to training.  We train at a snail's pace, with low intensity, and this is why fellas struggle when they are called up for national duty.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 02:49:11 AM »
Controversial,your post has hit the nail on the head,spot on mate.It was looking inevitable that TT were looking tired from about the 60th minute although they were playing better around that time,the fact is,we got beat through tiredness...bad conditioning.I was hoping to see our mid-field hold up the ball a bit to give our defenders a breather from time to time but that didn't happen.Our defenders kept belting long aimless balls up-field which came back to them in seconds so they were just overworked.We were OK for 45 minutes and almost looked Egypt's equal.I am still hoping that we can pull off a shock win,seems impossible we live in hope.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32:24 AM »
All what's being said here may have some bearing on our game,you really feel our players are not fit, strong, physical etc etc? if our players start using their brains they will perform better,this game is about making decisions,situations change all the time while a game is in progress,we are just getting caught with our pants down because we have too many players that still ball watch at this level,sometimes it's not really the speed of the players but the speed at which they move the ball that causes the problems.

When you are playing a game it's not only about what you are doing but what the other team does also,how well do our guys read a game,every team you play does something different so you can't say one shoe fits all,Coach as well as players have to be smart,it's not just going out there and playing and hoping or experimenting.   

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 05:38:10 AM »
it's very true that d coaching staff needs to understand and apply tactic to d team. but the players need to have more passion in playing d game of soccer or football. they need to show d love of the game

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:24 AM »

When yuh chasing the ball all the time guess what happens ?
TT must learn to hold on to the ball to allow recovery time .
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 05:54:53 AM »
All what's being said here may have some bearing on our game,you really feel our players are not fit, strong, physical etc etc? if our players start using their brains they will perform better,this game is about making decisions,situations change all the time while a game is in progress,we are just getting caught with our pants down because we have too many players that still ball watch at this level,sometimes it's not really the speed of the players but the speed at which they move the ball that causes the problems.

When you are playing a game it's not only about what you are doing but what the other team does also,how well do our guys read a game,every team you play does something different so you can't say one shoe fits all,Coach as well as players have to be smart,it's not just going out there and playing and hoping or experimenting.  
:applause: :applause: Well said Coops, someone once said that football is 10% physical and 90% mental...... or something like that ( speed of thought is what separates the talented and not so talented).

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:10:38 AM »

You're right...I agree.  However, we always think about what we doing and not what other teams are doing.  Don't we think Egypt's play maybe had something to do with our performance.  The same we we say if we do all that you say (and you are correct by the way), don't you think the other teams are doing it and doing it better than us. 

Again, we will get there but it will take time.  Things are getter better but slowly.  The gov't should invest more but depending on the gov't alone can never be the answer.  How could football really develop without the passion of the people.  In Holland and Europe in general football is religion...in trini yes we have some passion but generally we is a jokey supporting country.  Just look at our pro league, how many people does go to the games?  Most times our players don't really know how to be professional, why.....because we don't really have a pro environment in trini...maybe one or two teams but that's about it.  How can I be professional or work really hard when I don't have an example to follow...just a thought!

It's a lot harder to do that you think controversial, nonetheless, I agree with your concepts.  All I'm saying is that you make it sound really simple and it really is not that easy. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 07:36:49 AM »
National staff cannot get player fit. They can maintain, but the time frame that players are available to the National team & the science of preparing the body to full fitness does not equate.

Its the same with Technical ability etc etc. If an individual is a poor defender, then it stands to reason that he was never prepared properly in the first place.

Now defending as a unit, team organization, principles of game play are the responsibility of the coaching staff. That is something different.

I am sure your cousins in Holland do not depend on the National set up to get them fit.

Where do you question the clubs responsibility in all this?
Many National coaches have questioned the clubs, schools & the leagues in general. Only to be highly criticized for doing so.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »
do nervous emotions burn up energy ???...just asking
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »

:applause: :applause: Well said Coops, someone once said that football is 10% physical and 90% mental...... or something like that ( speed of thought is what separates the talented and not so talented).

thats why i mentioned player concentration for long periods of time, as many know i have always said, football is 90% mental, many times over the many years i have emphasized this, but you need your players fit, super fit and up and running for 120 mins of intl football. regardless of intelligence, the players need to execute, execution is vital and it takes a fit player to execute.

a player may say to himself, well i know the striker is going right or he will run in for the deflection in the box, instinctively he needs to get there first, if hes ball watching, a lack of concentration or the striker has more stamina than him, in better shape, guess what? we just let a goal in bc our player wasnt fast enough and didnt respond fast enough.

if a player is tired he will lose concentration, his awareness will be down, his thinking will not be at its peak, so the player needs to be in surpreme condition before anything else, so at that point in the game, he will be able to think and not lose concentration bc hes not tired.

and i dont know why fellahs stuck on defenders who are big and tall, thats bull, how big was roberto carlos for example? how big and tall is canavarro? i heard patriot speaking about a youth player who was dropped bc he wasnt tall enough but he thought was the best defender, why was he dropped? bc he wasnt tall enough? maybe the youths football intelligence was beyond these youths but guess what he wasnt big and tall enough, maybe he was fitter also...

people need to get out of that stupid mentality in trinidad, pick the best defenders, not defenders bc they big and tall but not fast enough and not football smart...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 08:55:28 AM »

yes very much so! That is why when a match now start and yuh make a run, many times you feel like your struggling. Its only nervous energy.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »
National staff cannot get player fit. They can maintain, but the time frame that players are available to the National team & the science of preparing the body to full fitness does not equate.

Its the same with Technical ability etc etc. If an individual is a poor defender, then it stands to reason that he was never prepared properly in the first place.

Now defending as a unit, team organization, principles of game play are the responsibility of the coaching staff. That is something different.

I am sure your cousins in Holland do not depend on the National set up to get them fit.

Where do you question the clubs responsibility in all this?
Many National coaches have questioned the clubs, schools & the leagues in general. Only to be highly criticized for doing so.

many of your points boss are excellent and with regards to my family i was speaking of the clubs they played for but also the intensity of natl training and the cailbre of coaching at natl level.

the clubs are responsible for developing the players, however in the case of trinidad and tobago we cannot rely on the clubs bc they are not up to par, the schools and leagues are also not up to par, so the natl trainers need to take on this responsibility to develop and train the players, if left up to the clubs we would be in a worse situation and it seems thats whats happening.

i totally agree with the role of the clubs to develop and train players, but when you are playing for a club like ajax and you hear the training and coaching, then you try to compare that to joe public, there is no comparison, as you know breds, so in a place like tt the natl set up must take on this responisbility when the pro league is lacking, along with other feeder leagues.

i wish it wasnt this way, but it is, the natl team has to pick up the slack of the pro league, they have no choice but to pick up the slack or we will continue to fail time and time again, waiting for the pro league to reach that intl level will take too long and too many talented youths will go to waste.

also fighting with the intercol heads and other leagues will get you nowhere fast in trinidad bc of the ignorance, therefore you are left with one choice, do it yourself at the national level. Sometimes i think the best thing to do is loan the players to the pro league and have them training at every level nationally all the time in the case of trinidad and tobago football.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »

mental prep is needed to fight that, along with experience with big game situations in the past, if our youth teams played in front of massive crowds away from home in crucial games or even friendlies more often, it would ease that nervous feeling... a sports psychologist should have been with this youth team from the beginning to work with them on concentration and nervousness...

in alot of cases it doesnt burn up energy, speaking personally, you actually get more energy and your on a high, i tend to disagree with observer on this one, it can go both ways... it depends on the individual

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
Bigger question. Yuh cousin dem coming to play for T&T  ;D
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

Daz punkin vine cousin... 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
How de natl coaches could get players physically prepared in de short space of time dey have for international games? Youth programs might be different as most of de players local and might be available more. De older players all bout de place and have professional duties even if dey local. We doh eat right and expect to train for a month or two at a high level and match up guys who doing this for years and never far from good fitness. Until we start developing these physical routines and lifestyles for players at a younger age, we will always be playing catch up. like trying to run down Usain Bolt in a 200
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

Daz punkin vine cousin... 8)

observer know the answer to his question ;D as for palos, pumpkin vine my ass, you know my family? ::) you know who im talking about? some fellahs fas no ass on here, there actually my 2nd cousins, its not my fault you have no family playing top flight football.. dont be jealous and resort to saying pumpkin vine... 8) :o

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »

ah wish  ;D too bad they not trini.. :-\

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 10:01:35 AM »

Agree with u -Mental quickness at the intl level if you doh have that well is deer in headlights no matter how fast you could run a 50 yds.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
How yuh go teach ah player how to defend and he at the National level?

Who evaluate he/them to make the team?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
How yuh go teach ah player how to defend and he at the National level?

Who evaluate he/them to make the team?

:beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>