April 18, 2024, 07:57:20 AM

Author Topic: U 20 Evaluation  (Read 4662 times)

Offline jumbonut$

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
U 20 Evaluation
« on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »
1. Samuel - 5- Great reflexes but his decision making seems to be very poor. On many occasions he was caught in no man's land and hand to rely on his athletism to pull him out of the situation.

2. Thompson -8- Excellent game. Clearly he showed that he was a cut above the rest. His tactical awareness, dedication to defensive duties, ability to get forward in attack, dribbling ability and crossing ability makes him a real asset to the team.

3. Primus -7- He covered alot of ground, marshaled our back four and often put in the last ditch tackle and when needed. Our rock in defence. (definitely one for the future).

4. Cyrus -5- A bit shaky in the early going, but he came into his own as the game progressed. Needs to be a bit more dominant in that centre half position.

5. Bentick -5- Decent tackler but was often found out of position, forcing him to scramble across. Needs to improve on his service to the front runners.

Overall analysis of the defensive shell -5- improved organization and better communication between the back four and the goalkeeper is warranteed.

Paul -5- Showed good fight off the ball, but was ineffective on the ball.. needs to stamp his authority on the game as the captain, and lead his team.

Rochford-6- played his role as the holding mid to good effect. Was intrumental in breaking up some of the Egyptian attacks, and seldom gave the ball away when in possession.

Da Sivla -4- Showed fight off the ball, but was poor in possession. Guilty of tunring the ball over to the Egyptians in dangerous parts of the field.

Adams -4- ineffective down the left flank. produced nothing offensively and little cover defensively. Seems out of sort in his new role on the team.

Hyland -5- Ineffective with his back to goal. He needs to play in his more familiar central midfield role. (settled the team down when he went there in the 2nd period) (N.B. -: Still needs Rochford to cover him in the midfield.)

Gay -4- Toally out of the game. In fairness to him, the quality of service into him wass poor but he still needs to be more of a threat when on the ball.

Clarence -5- Despite being guilty of blundering a great scoring opportunity he had a decent game. Showed good touches and made powerful runs in the heart of the Egyptian defence.

Molino -5- Illustrated confidence and good touches on the ball. (Would like to see more of him)

Joseph - - (limited time)

Coaching Staff -5- Decent use of bench.

All in All, our young Socawarriors gave good account of themselves leaving us fans to be opptimistic about the future.

Team I would like to see line up for our next match.
--------------Samuel---------------
Thompsosn----Primus----Cyrus/ Bateau----Bentick/Adams
------Paul---Rochford---Adams/Molino------
-------------Hyland------------
-----Clarence -------Gay-----

Good luck Socwarriors!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: U 20 Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:20 PM »

Clarence -5- Despite being guilty of blundering a great scoring opportunity he had a decent game. Showed good touches and made powerful runs in the heart of the Egyptian defence.

All that rate up and u give de man a FIVE??? lol

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:34 PM »
Im going to say my fav player was Thompson and Da Silva needs to be benched.  I don't think Adams performed as bad as Da Silva. He defended okay, but when he had possession, he was out-hussled, out-run, out-etc....Clarence needs to start with Gay on top definitely.  Hyland behind them, and Thompson holding down the central mid.  I don't know if anyone observed this, but Samuel looked like Ince on the field especially in the shouting part for every shot he got on goal by the Pharaohs :P

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »
from the highlights dem fellas look slow and weak compared to Egypt

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:33:18 AM »
Im going to say my fav player was Thompson and Da Silva needs to be benched.  I don't think Adams performed as bad as Da Silva. He defended okay, but when he had possession, he was out-hussled, out-run, out-etc....Clarence needs to start with Gay on top definitely.  Hyland behind them, and Thompson holding down the central mid.  I don't know if anyone observed this, but Samuel looked like Ince on the field especially in the shouting part for every shot he got on goal by the Pharaohs :P

thompson is a right sided player
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 07:17:07 AM »
Didnt they play Da Silva on the left side I mean he has always been a central player of course he is going to struggle on the wing , the english boy play well on the wing and allyuh solution is to move him from there to central ? lol. These coaches we have here ... hyland should probably move to midfield I mean thats where he has always played including his club and that's where we are struggling right now .... I dunno why they trying to make him a striker he's not one .... I'd probably  try a 352

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 07:32:39 AM »
Nah he playing left side since the WCQ.  Like they have no left footer on the team. He is play central drifting left usually.

He showed no fight to me compared to them ratings above by jumbonuts. And Glenroy Samuel lookmuch better in his decision making that Jan Michael Williams or Marvin Phillips usually do for the senior team...IMO.

I didn't see Leston Paulwhole game either, but I agree with the Hyland and Gay being totally missing.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
jumbonuts, yuh cyah change that signature?

that drumming up bad memories dread!  >:(

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
Primus & Thompson were our two best players on the day.  

Rochford & Paul put in a workmanlike shift in the middle of the field.

Adams had good energy going forward, but his ball handling was irratic. 

Da Silva had a rocky start, but let's not get carried away.  It's clear that he has ability.  He appeared to be a bit nervous and in one-on-one situations his lack of speed/strength gets a bit exposed.  As he matures and figures the game out more, he'll know how to handle his nerves better, and he'll pick his spots more wisely to minimize exploitation of his his weaknesses.  I think he was singled out mainly because many expected alot from him, and in small part, being white he's easiest to visually recognize on the field (yes I said it, but doh rush meh- this is not a racially charged statement- read it again and breathe deep  ;D). i.e. his mistakes are likely to be more memorable & lasting than others' mistakes not necessarily because they were greater in number, but because there's no blurring or casually mixing him up with anyone else when he's on the ball...let's get off his back- plenty football to play still.  

All in all I thought as a team we looked more solid & compact than most if not all the our youth teams in the past.  We don't have exceptional quality in the roster, so we will struggle to beat int'l outfits with players who play at higher levels in their careers, and teams that have those one or two standouts that can turn a game individually.  But if we could maintain our discipline, stay compact and limit the errors, we could be competitive in this competition and that's a big stride for us.  I still think the scoreline was harsh on us, and apart from certain periods where we lost our shape in the middle of the field yesterday, we looked like we belonged on the field.  Our squad of '91 with Yorke & co. were no where near as competitive looking as this team- back then we got walked over without the opposition breaking a sweat, and there was talent in that squad- many would argue more talent (but that's another conversation).  

Progress is being made.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:47:35 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jumbonut$

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 08:01:13 AM »
Nah he playing left side since the WCQ.  Like they have no left footer on the team. He is play central drifting left usually.

He showed no fight to me compared to them ratings above by jumbonuts. And Glenroy Samuel lookmuch better in his decision making that Jan Michael Williams or Marvin Phillips usually do for the senior team...IMO.
I didn't see Leston Paulwhole game either, but I agree with the Hyland and Gay being totally missing.

You really thought his decisison making was better that Jan Michael and Marvin Phillips? Hmmm.. One particular scenario was when the Egyptian forward Tallat broke free from about 40 yards out. As the play developed and the camera covered Tallat advancing to the goal I am certain that every Trinidadian was expected Samuel to bust onto the screen and scoop the ball up... That never happened.. Samuel was still on his goal line..lol.. A last ditch tackle by Cyrus prevented him from punishing us.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:06:01 AM »
During the rough times pros like Hyland need to assert themselves
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline jumbonut$

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:09:44 AM »
jumbonuts, yuh cyah change that signature?

that drumming up bad memories dread!  >:(

I sort it out Dinho.. Hard luck dey...lol

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:36:44 AM »
I real disappointed...because for all the money spent on this side, all the time them fellas were together and all the games they play against BETTER opposition them fellas resemble the senior team.

Putting pressure on ourselves, not taking chances, mental lapses, strolling and ball watching.

Yuh know what I find too...egypt was not that good.

I ent find none of they players were special, they had no spectacular knock, it wasnt even that penetrative.

We just let men run through we middle with the ball and take on our defenders.

That was the difference...no steel in the midfield.

We were against it and treading water because we allow them...anytime we run at them we give them trouble. e.g opening 15, 40-45 and after the 60th minute.

I going and drink the cool aid and set the bar low for the next two games.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:46:54 AM »
Both italy and paraguay look very organized and physical.

Italy did not get all the players they wanted, so it will be interesting to see how they progress.

Noticeable is the manner in which they can keep the ball and play at different rhythms.

Italy looks very direct, but it does not seem to make Paraguay uncomfortable.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:13 AM »

Italy did not get all the players they wanted, so it will be interesting to see how they progress.

Noticeable is the manner in which they can keep the ball and play at different rhythms.

R u watching the game??  Where??  TV 6 showing cricket now....steups...who de arse following cricket, that game still exist??....steups
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »

R u watching the game??  Where??  TV 6 showing cricket now....steups...who de arse following cricket, that game still exist??....steups

Live stream
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 08:56:09 AM »

http://www.stream2watch.com

Thomas Paine

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »
I real disappointed...because for all the money spent on this side, all the time them fellas were together and all the games they play against BETTER opposition them fellas resemble the senior team.
Putting pressure on ourselves, not taking chances, mental lapses, strolling and ball watching.

I ent find none of they players were special, they had no spectacular knock, it wasnt even that penetrative.

We were against it and treading water because we allow them...anytime we run at them we give them trouble. e.g opening 15, 40-45 and after the 60th minute.

If this is true then the problem is deeper. I might be cultural.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
aye, did anybody check the birth certificate of that egyptian u20 team? i don't know but i am a lil suspicious what about allyuh.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »
aye, did anybody check the birth certificate of that egyptian u20 team?

Anybody like who?

Allyuh good yes...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
aye, did anybody check the birth certificate of that egyptian u20 team?

Anybody like who?

Allyuh good yes...

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »

Maybe a valuable lesson was learned from this. "You cannot simply throw money at a team after they qualify and in 6 months expect dramatic progress". Maybe if they had spent the money wisely over the years the individuals would have been much better prepared at age 20. Lets face it Touches, the team was not overly convincing at the CONCACAF qualifications. Ok they showed some potential and qualified, but this is a different level now. They may still get through to the next rounds, but overall you have to ask yourself if the investment will give you players for 2014 & beyond. After all that is what youth football is about. Just IMHO!
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »

Maybe a valuable lesson was learned from this. "You cannot simply throw money at a team after they qualify and in 6 months expect dramatic progress". Maybe if they had spent the money wisely over the years the individuals would have been much better prepared at age 20.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

We like too much quick fix and miracles...It's the same mindset yuh see with the senior team- We hire a new coach, we talking about firing him after 3 matches....

Whoever was expecting to see a world beating performance because they thought we "spent so much money" on the team to prepare them for this tournament, and spend "so much time" and "played so many games" in prep etc...really doh have a clue.  The more I read opinions on this msg board the more I realize how warped and twisted the perception is of where we as a nation and our players stack up in world football....Men constantly talkin' about all this talent...talent? By the time you're a nat'l U-20 playing professionally, raw talent is only a small % of what it takes to make a quality player...much less a good team- and news flash: Every footballing nation has talent...doh whisper it too loud though, ah trying to keep that under lows.....

A youth man on the fringes of Southampton's roster come and put on a solid display, men raving like he's the second (or the first  ;D ) coming of T&T's football messiah, and then in same breath making comments that reflect an expectation that our young fellas would be taking on the world in style at this competition... It doh add up.  It takes alot more than 6 months and a semi decent budget to rid ourselves of the footballing shortcomings that we see playing out in any given match that we play. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:54:03 AM by kicker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
aye, did anybody check the birth certificate of that egyptian u20 team? i don't know but i am a lil suspicious what about allyuh.

while allyuh checking check Nigeria. Holy shit!  >:(
Man face hard like a days wok in the oil.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:30:55 AM »

Honestly.  You been following football long time.  You have a good football brain.  Fuh krissake yuh went Fatima and all!  Wha you was REALLY EXPECKIN bro?

These are the best U 20 teams IN THE WORLD.  We competed and weren't disgraced.  A nation of just over 1 million people producing an XI that competed with another nation, one that's steeped in football tradition, that has won multiple African Nations Cup's, and has 80 million people!

I'll tell you this much....this team we have here would mash up any other Caribbean team.  We'll compete with the best in CONCACAF and we've shown we can just compete with some of the best in Africa.  No shame in dat at all.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Well said Palos. Just doh get 13 in 3 and I go b happy like pappy. Just compete and look like yuh belong.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 11:49:49 AM »
good talk palos. finally u post something sensible  ;D

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 12:06:42 PM »
Now Palos I totally agree with you, the fellas did compete and the scoreline IMO wasn't a reflection of the match but at the same time we cannot accept mediocrity....How long will we sing the song of we are a nation of 1.5 million ppl and they have 80 million. In 10 years I dont want us to reach a WC at any level and be satisfied with a 2-1 loss.... even though we played well yesterday, I think that game was a winnable one.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2009, 12:22:44 PM »

If this is true then the problem is deeper. I might be cultural.
Its definitely cultural and If we dont "Meme" ourselves out of it we will be doomed for years to come.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2009, 12:44:34 PM »
Palos,

Forget history and tradition and how much million in population...is a best 22 on the squad and a best 11 on the field.

Yes some nations have more to choose from but when game start forget all them population stats.

I was expecting that we could win or draw 1 game...and that was against Egypt.

Also for the opening 10 min and the last 5 minutes of the first half and after the 60th when we concede the third goal we did enough to come away with at least a point.

Our team is capable of better and we did not do enough.

Also...if you look at the prep the last under 20 side had...they collect 6.

This squad get the sun, moon and stars and collect 4

Was the former squad more talented or better (maybe, but this is debatable)

It was a waste of money then... cause the amount of camp and prep and money spent for them to pop down so.

The under 20 performance = local based senior team game vs st. kitts with no warm up and training.

I couldnt understand how men who together so long since under 17 cyar show nuttin...especially since egypt wasnt showing nuttin. They were scared and on the back foot...we just ent take advantage.

But say wha...men was up in arms bout men who get send home and how Thompson taking somebody spot who dey etc.....Now we see why he was called and why he make the squad.

Listen yuh have to excuse meh....my head knows we are a shit side, my mind knows we ent more talented than any of our neighbours, I know we ent ready, we dont have the mental capacity, we dont have the belley or the fight...but meh heart cyar accept that, all it takes is one lil umph, a lil badmind and a lil discipline or fitness and we could shock people.

Forgive meh nah.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>