April 27, 2024, 11:10:27 AM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones steps up to help Sunderland quell Wolves fightback  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones steps up to help Sunderland quell Wolves fightback
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
Kenwyne Jones steps up to help Sunderland quell Wolves fightback
By Louise Taylor (guardian.co.uk)

As he paced the technical area, variously shaking his head and his fists, Mick McCarthy cut an extremely familiar figure.

After a bright start, the Wolves manager became an expert at losing on Wearside in his final season in charge of Sunderland and he must have experienced a horrible sense of deja vu as, despite competing manfully for much of the afternoon, his side ultimately shipped five goals.

During the season under his charge when Sunderland were relegated from the Premier League with a record low of 15 points, Mick McCarthy was horribly accustomed to swiftly falling behind here.

The old feelings of helpless frustration presumably came flooding back as Wolves quickly conceded a penalty following Segundo Castillo's trip on Darren Bent after getting the wrong side of the striker as the pair tussled for possession. Considering Castillo got a touch on the ball, the visiting fans deemed it a harsh decision but Bent had no hesitation about stepping forward to take the kick.

Although Wayne Hennessy guessed correctly and dived the right way, the Wolves goalkeeper could not divert the ball from its trajectory into the bottom corner. It was Bent's sixth goal since his £10m summer move from Tottenham Hotspur; at this rate he really might squeeze himself back into the England squad.

Wolves spent the remainder of the first half trying to force themselves into the game and might have equalised when Dave Edwards made a headed connection with a Matt Jarvis cross. Steve Bruce is deeply concerned about Sunderland's slapdash approach to defending crosses and set pieces but, even though Anton Ferdinand had been demoted to the bench, the home backline once again suffered a concentration lapse as Edwards was permitted a free header. His effort flew wide, although Andrew Keogh, hovering in the six yard box, might have diverted it beyond Craig Gordon had he not had his legs scythed from under him at the vital moment.

If Sunderland got away with that one, Lorik Cana and Lee Cattermole were not quite managing to assume their customary control of central midfield, and while Hennessy made the odd ill-advised dash off his line and only Michael Mancienne's smart block prevented Cattermole from side-footing Andy Reid's low cross into an unguarded net, Wolves were seeing far too much of the ball for Bruce's liking. Indeed Michael Turner - who, rumour had it, was engaged in a pre-match dressing room altercation with Ferdinand over an iPod - might have conceded a penalty following a foul on Doyle.

Of equal concern to the home fans was the manner in which McCarthy's men were increasingly setting, and sustaining, a vigorous tempo. The first period ended with Sunderland again emphasising their vulnerability to dead balls as Kevin Doyle was allowed plenty of space in which to attack Jarvis's free kick. Again the ball veered slightly off target but Bruce headed down the tunnel looking like a man with much on his mind.

His mood would have improved slightly at the outset of the second half when Steed Malbranque's cross picked out Bent only for the striker to find himself bundled off the ball by Christophe Berra. This time it was a blatant penalty and, by way of variation, Kenwyne Jones took it, sending Hennessy the wrong way to double Sunderland's advantage.

Not that there was any room for home complacency. Anxious to redeem himself, Berra quickly slung in a cross-shot at the other end and could not believe his fortune when Craig Gordon parried it into the path of John Mensah who promptly knocked it into his own net.

Shortly afterwards Wolves drew level. Sunderland conceded an indirect free-kick on the edge of their six yard box after Gordon had been left with no option but to palm Kieran Richardson's brainless and horrendously overhit backpass to safety.

Richardson, newly deployed to left back by Bruce, paid dearly for his lapse. The kick was duly nudged to Karl Henry, and despite his effort being blocked it rebounded to Doyle who rammed it home.

The time had come for Bent and Jones to show precisely why they are such a feared attacking combination. Sure enough when Bent chested down a long ball he laid it off deftly to Jones who, by adroit shifting of his body weight, wrong-footed both Berra and Mancienne before beating Hennessy with a low shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Suddenly Sunderland were in the ascendancy and from Andy Reid's corner, Turner headed their fourth goal to ensure an unhappy return for McCarthy, whose discomfort was intensified when, following a decent build up featuring Ferdinand and Malbranque, Bent squeezed a shot home courtesy of a deflection off Mancienne.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:09:05 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones steps up to help Sunderland quell Wolves fightback
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: steve bruce look mad when KJ score that second goal  :devil: jokes

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:03:03 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: steve bruce look mad when KJ score that second goal  :devil: jokes

:rotfl: man was talkin bout how he wasnt pleased that kenwyne took de penalty before de man jes say it was great tuh see him hit de back ah de net and when camera not around den yuh could have ah lil quiet word with him n bent...jones lucky he scored dah penalty else he might ah ride pine fuh de whole ah october  :devil:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve Bruce seething over Sunderland penalty
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »
Steve Bruce seething over Sunderland penalty
By Neil Roarty (bettingpro.com)

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce was left fuming after top goalscorer Darren Bent allowed strike partner Kenwyne Jones to take a penalty against Wolves on Sunday.

Bent had put Sunderland in the lead by scoring a spot kick, but when the side were awarded a second penalty, he rescinded his duties and let partner Kenwyne Jones step up. Jones scored, but his manager, Steve Bruce, was unimpressed saying:

"That won't happen again,

"That's something you do on a pitch with your mates, not in the Premier League.

"Okay, if you are 5-0 up or 6-0 up or whatever, but it was an important part of the game and we have got a top, top-class penalty-taker who has never missed one, I don't think, in his career, throwing the ball away."

Ironically, Bruce didn’t see either of the Sunderland penalties, as he has a long standing superstition, which means that when his side have a spot-kick he turns away, but perhaps he will now pay more attention, at least to who steps up to take the Black Cats’ penalties.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:18:43 AM »

:rotfl: man was talkin bout how he wasnt pleased that kenwyne took de penalty before de man jes say it was great tuh see him hit de back ah de net and when camera not around den yuh could have ah lil quiet word with him n bent...jones lucky he scored dah penalty else he might ah ride pine fuh de whole ah october  :devil:

although steve seems to be an ass, I ask people to tink back to TT v EL SaL first leg, u have a plan, an d game still "open" stick to d plan........jus sayin
I pity the fool....

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
Re: Steve Bruce seething over Sunderland penalty
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:04:19 AM »

"Okay, if you are 5-0 up or 6-0 up or whatever, but it was an important part of the game and we have got a top, top-class penalty-taker who has never missed one, I don't think, in his career, throwing the ball away."

kenwyne ever miss a penalty in an english league game? just wondering...

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:10:40 AM »
When there was no King in Israel every man did what was right in his own eyes. Discipline is the key to success. If a man is designated the penalty taker, then he cannot give it to his friend. T&t vs El Salvador- Point made.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I want to see Kenwyne do well. And I am also thrilled at his performance. But, the penalty kickers are decided by the coaching staff. If you want to become a penalty kicker, you do so on the practice field and impress the coaches there.
Nonetheless he scored, and the result? More confidence and his second goal was a testament of this.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »
I agree. Don't get me wrong, I want to see Kenwyne do well. And I am also thrilled at his performance. But, the penalty kickers are decided by the coaching staff. If you want to become a penalty kicker, you do so on the practice field and impress the coaches there.
Nonetheless he scored, and the result? More confidence and his second goal was a testament of this.

Absasmurfly  :beermug:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 03:19:48 AM »
I was vex he take the penalty too...

Ah had bent on mih fantasy side  :devil:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 02:44:07 PM »
Too bad Bruce wasnt our coach in El Salvador
Hart for president

1]; } ?>