April 19, 2024, 03:16:48 PM

Author Topic: Poor television football coverage  (Read 4941 times)

Offline YoursTruly

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Poor television football coverage
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »
Poor television football coverage

Wednesday, September 30 2009

THE EDITOR: Why is it that our electronic media and our advertising media remain in a totally primitive mode when doing football coverage?

As we settled to watch, on TV 6, the match TT vs Italy, our local experts were talking to us. Then I realised that the teams were already out and the Italian National Anthem was being played—in a small window showing in corner of the screen.

I wait to see our anthem played. Yes, there we are in that little window, one of the players mouthing the words, but as the local experts were unconsciously still talking, we could not hear anything.

Did they “pull back”, shut up, and let us hear our National Anthem, see our Official Match Flag being shown, and see our small support contingent singing? No, they cut to a series of advertisements.

How far out of touch are you all, really? As the series of ads continued, we missed the Team line-ups, the Toss, which you all contrive to mispronounce as “Torse”, and the Captains’ exchange of Pennants. These are part of the match, which every First World, and probably every other Third World but us, TV station will carry in their entirety. And we do not even understand that.

Then we had, at halftime, our two local experts declare our disallowed “goal” to be valid. Not only that, but they described the slow motion replay in specific terms to “prove” that the goal was valid. And they were totally wrong! And worse, insistently wrong. After the match, not in the least showing any concern, they acknowledged that a referee had called and told them what “Offside” is.

I do not want to sound harsh, folks, and I know and like the two guys, but they are the image of their profession, and they should know what they are talking about. If we had used the halftime commentary that was coming from the stadium, we would all have been better informed. Indeed, and our local experts might have learned what makes a player offside.

Does anybody understand?

Peter O’Connor

Cascade

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Poor television football coverage
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:41 AM »
Then we had, at halftime, our two local experts declare our disallowed “goal” to be valid. Not only that, but they described the slow motion replay in specific terms to “prove” that the goal was valid. And they were totally wrong! And worse, insistently wrong. After the match, not in the least showing any concern, they acknowledged that a referee had called and told them what “Offside” is.

I do not want to sound harsh, folks, and I know and like the two guys, but they are the image of their profession, and they should know what they are talking about. If we had used the halftime commentary that was coming from the stadium, we would all have been better informed. Indeed, and our local experts might have learned what makes a player offside.

Does anybody understand?

Peter O’Connor
Cascade

He need only have come to this site to realise that those guys were simply a reflection of the majority of the population. I thought it poor though that they were
insistently wrong
yet lacked diffidence in their retraction. I don't know why he's so suprised though, our tv coverage of any sport is just as poor. We do not have a sporting culture here, it's that simple.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 10:05:25 AM »
Bring back Dave Lamy and for good measure throw in an Angus "Onliest" Eve.

Més que un club.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

:rotfl: Ent! Not very encouraging options, but I think he's going beyond simply who did the commentary. It was the whole presentation of the event that disappointed him.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »

for what, for we to drop ah sleep on the games, dat ha to be d most unexcitable man in trini
I pity the fool....

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »

for what, for we to drop ah sleep on the games, dat ha to be d most unexcitable man in trini

more unexcitable dan we boy Ruskin Mark?  8)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »

u ever hear dave lamy commentate football.......when we score u could swear it have funeral service in d press box, he does sound dead and depressed
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:18:53 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
What passes for sports journalism in general in T&T comes straight from the toilet bowl.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

u ever dave lamy commentate football.......when we score u could swear it have funeral service in d press d does sound dead and depressed

like dave lamy callin is really for horse racing oui! daiz d only time he does sound 'exciting'

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »
on radio it even more disgusting. imagine i listenin to d game vs italy on 105. in d middle of half dem cut to a break. about 4 advertisements in a row. we really backward when it come to carrying important sports event live oui. steups

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 10:26:04 AM »
What passes for sports journalism in general in T&T comes straight from the toilet bowl.

Any sort of journalism as it were... it's not isolated to sport. However, yes, the sport journalism here is real shit.

Bigger than that the general presentation of events is poor. Check WQ talking about ads in the middle of the half. If we've ever watched or listen to cricket we often miss critical moments while the station rattling off 4 or 5 ads in between overs. Sometimes, they even interrupt the over itself and you have no idea what happen between the 1st and 3rd ball.

ALL of our local commentators are either dull or they aren't knowledgeable about the sport that they are presenting or the teams involved. How often do we hear them mispronounce a name we hearing weekly on ESPN, FSN or Setanta. In this day and age of global communication there's no excuse for what we present as sport coverage.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:21 AM »

Any sort of journalism as it were... it's not isolated to sport. However, yes, the sport journalism here is real shit.

Bigger than that the general presentation of events is poor. Check WQ talking about ads in the middle of the half. If we've ever watched or listen to cricket we often miss critical moments while the station rattling off 4 or 5 ads in between overs. Sometimes, they even interrupt the over itself and you have no idea what happen between the 1st and 3rd ball.

ALL of our local commentators are either dull or they aren't knowledgeable about the sport that they are presenting or the teams involved. How often do we hear them mispronounce a name we hearing weekly on ESPN, FSN or Setanta. In this day and age of global communication there's no excuse for what we present as sport coverage.

WC 98
Dave Lamy: ZineDYNE ZiDAYNE

well yes  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »
WC 98
Dave Lamy: ZineDYNE ZiDAYNE

well yes  :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

There's a guy on C....indian fella with glasses who is annoying.  Pleasant enough voice, but de fella does go off on a tangent bout a setta irrelevant stats and stories WHILE DE ACTION TAKIN PLACE ON DE FIELD.  Dese fellas like dey doh realize is TV dey doin and the action on de screen speaks mostly for itself.  You simply have to accent it.  How hard is it to say something like Noel.....Edwards.....Tinto.....Jones....Glen....ooooohhhhh...great shot and even better save from the goalie!

Yuh doh have to talk bout how Noel grandmother used to bathe he in limacol as a chile or Tinto was a champion marbles player back in de day.  Save dem kinda ting fuh half time.

Dem men does feel like dey have to fill een every space with someting and most a de time...it irrelevant. 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

true for d most part..............dull is not ah word I could use to described Andre Baptiste u know how much heart attack dat fuucka nearly give me >:(
I pity the fool....

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 11:07:45 AM »

u ever hear dave lamy commentate football.......when we score u could swear it have funeral service in d press box, he does sound dead and depressed

Growing up, I didn't mind Ruskin Mark too much; at least makes an effort to raise the pitch level of his voice when something exciting happens in a football game. Dave Lamy, on the other hand,  simply went on and on in that characteristic monotone of his regardless of the circumstances of the game.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:10:16 AM by kaliman2006 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »

Growing up, I didn't mind Ruskin Mark too much; at least makes an effort to raise the pitch level of his voice when something exciting happens in a football game. Dave Lamy, on the other hand,  simply went on and on in that characteristic monotone of his regardless of the circumstances of the game.

and its ah goal, wit what does seem like ah  :yawning: :yawning:
I pity the fool....

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
Good Footballers maketh not good commentators in like manner Good/great Footballers maketh not good coaches- Ask Maradona if yuh think I lie.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
Yuh doh have to talk bout how Noel grandmother used to bathe he in limacol as a chile or Tinto was a champion marbles player back in de day. 

It relevant!
If she used to bathe him in Alcolado, he might be a world-beater right now.
Also, was Tinto playing 3-hole? was it for marbles or for bokee?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »

Alvin Corneal take win fuh de most disinterested call where a goal scored.

Dennis Lawrence jes score what turned out to be THE GOAL that took T&T to the World Cup Finals and all Alvin could say is "and it's a goal".  Deadpan.  No emotion.  NUTTING!

Allyuh should hear Patriot imitation.  He have Alvin down COLD!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »

Alvin Corneal take win fuh de most disinterested call where a goal scored.

Dennis Lawrence jes score what turned out to be THE GOAL that took T&T to the World Cup Finals and all Alvin could say is "and it's a goal".  Deadpan.  No emotion.  NUTTING!

Allyuh should hear Patriot imitation.  He have Alvin down COLD!

yeah ah remember dat in trute
I pity the fool....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:28 PM »
dias someting ????
I does buy all 3 papers every day ( ah does eat and read nah)....and de day tnt open the U-20 WC vz Egypt...all 3 back pages had full size pics of the WI cricket team... and no trinis on the WI side...
not a pic of the U-2os...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
TV 6 is really the friggin worst....at 9 pm on Monday I would have thought that they would have replayed the T&T vs. Italy game but no they replayed some other game and probably replayed our game late, late in the night...but I don't know SINCE AH WAS ALREADY IN MIH BED!!...steups!!

And as for the 2 hosts....you would have thought that they would get some educated discussion going on the offside...no the both of them like 2 idiots going on and on bout how the officials got it wrong....double steups....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:48:01 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 06:32:38 PM »
late, late in the night...but I don't know SINCE AH WAS ALREADY IN MIH BED!!...steups!!

Hmmmm.....de mystery surrounding Birchy's omission from de team becomes less mysterious!  :devil:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
late, late in the night...but I don't know SINCE AH WAS ALREADY IN MIH BED!!...steups!!

Hmmmm.....de mystery surrounding Birchy's omission from de team becomes less mysterious!  :devil:

Steups...I am going to my bed now....goodnight...  ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

Steups...I am going to my bed now....goodnight...  ;D

Arready?  Lawd!!

At least mek sure a snorkel wearin eh.  Hard to hold yuh breath while "under" fuh so long!!  :devil:

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
I absolutely hate when they mispronounce names...
Even simple things like news clips....those 'commentators' should try to gather information before the games!!
They appear to just be 'winging' it all the time....

Another thing is why cricket taking precedence over U20 WC....Steups!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »
I absolutely hate when they mispronounce names...
Even simple things like news clips....those 'commentators' should try to gather information before the games!!
They appear to just be 'winging' it all the time....

Another thing is why cricket taking precedence over U20 WC....Steups!!!!

Well is not dem alone does mispronounce.

Dem Yankee does say "Kendall Yagdeosingh".. ;D

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »
you know, from since i young i used to have a serious passion for sports journalism..

one thing i had a serious pet peeve for is to hear an announcer mispronounce a sportsperson name.. i remember making it my business to know who was starting on every cricket team and to learn all dem long ass sri lankan names by heart.. to let 'umpire srinivas venkataraghavan' roll off my tongue with easy and to make sure i clear up subtleties like whether is patrick 'kloovert' or 'klyvert' etc.. it was just ah certain kinda piyongness..

is when i realize what passes for sports journalism in trinidad that i really get turned off.. I 100% sure i could do a ten times better job than these jokers.. These fellahs doh even keep abreast of the current events, or know half what they supposed to know as supposed experts in their field..

worse yet the coverage is a real joke.

Maybe one day i will revisit that and go and try to do something..

Offline onlikecorn

• Full Warrior
  • vibes it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
ok . . allyuh should be glad to have coverage . . . all be it bad coverage. . . you still get some coverage .. .

be glad you are not like me  ... livin in nova scotia where you could see maybe one game per week  ..  unless you have extra money to pay for it. . . but i dont have that . . i does have to scrunt around the internet and find live feeds to watch most games. . . even if i have to watch it in chinese. .. .once i seein de game, ,
allyuh should try this in de us, uk and canada. . .actually works. . . use it instead of google. . and get free ting. . i get real free ting already....

1]; } ?>