April 27, 2024, 12:47:26 AM

Author Topic: Refereeing could be dangerous  (Read 4907 times)

Offline swood

• New Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Refereeing could be dangerous
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »
U hear d cheers dem yutes not easy.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 06:44:26 AM »
Dias ah sure red card for kicking de ball after de play dead  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »
dem youths heartless boy... not ah man check de ref for vital signs.. not even de youth who bang him in he stones..

on another note, swood not sure if you're the one behind schoolssportscentre but i have to seriously commend you on the quality of that site. really professionally done and the content is always up to date and on point.

who does the video footage for you? i seeing highlights from some games all up in the bush.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
dem youths heartless boy... not ah man check de ref for vital signs.. not even de youth who bang him in he stones..

on another note, swood not sure if you're the one behind schoolssportscentre but i have to seriously commend you on the quality of that site. really professionally done and the content is always up to date and on point.

who does the video footage for you? i seeing highlights from some games all up in the bush.
I was thinking the same thing.  What poor sportsmanship....those kids and their coaches should be embarrassed. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Disgraceful and totally classless.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
wha yah want them to do rubb it  ;D

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:18:40 PM »
A few weeks ago my team got scored on (illegally, the keeper was out of his goal, I was on the line and they scored from an offside position, the ref didn't know the rule that offside is two guys, not necessarily including the keeper) and I retrieved the ball from the net.  A couple of my guys were standing around between me and midfield and I kicked it around them to try put it back in the center circle but apparently my guys were arguing with the ref and I hit him (not sure where).  I only got a yellow though  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referee Dies After Being Punched By Player
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
May 5, 2013

Utah Soccer Referee Punched by Player Dies
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MURRAY, Utah (AP) — A Utah soccer referee who slipped into a coma after being punched by a teenage player during a game a week ago died Saturday night, police said.

Ricardo Portillo, 46, of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following an assault, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.

"The suspect was close to Portillo and punched him once in the face as a result of the call," Hoyal said in a press release.

The teen has been booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault.

Hoyal said authorities will consider additional charges since Portillo has died.

He said an autopsy is planned. No cause of death was released.

Portillo suffered swelling in his brain and had been listed in critical condition, Dr. Shawn Smith said Thursday at the Intermountain Medical Center in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray.

The victim's family, which publicly spoke of Portillo's plight this past week, has asked for privacy, Hoyal said.

Johana Portillo, 26, said last week that she wasn't at the April 27 game in the Salt Lake City suburb of Taylorsville, but she said she's been told by witnesses and detectives that the player hit her father in the side of the head.

"When he was writing down his notes, he just came out of nowhere and punched him," she said.

Accounts from a police report, Portillo's daughter and others further detail what occurred.

The teenager was playing goalie during a game at Eisenhower Junior High School in Taylorsville when Ricardo Portillo issued him a yellow card for pushing an opposing forward trying to score a goal. In soccer, a yellow card is given as a warning to a player for an egregious violation of the rules. Two yellow cards lead to a red card and expulsion from the game.

The teenager, quite a bit heavier than Portillo, began arguing with the referee, then unleashed a punch to his face. Portillo seemed fine at first, then asked to be held because he felt dizzy. He sat down and started vomiting blood, triggering his friend to call an ambulance.

When police arrived around noon, the teenager was gone and Portillo was laying on the ground in the fetal position. Through translators, Portillo told EMTs that his face and back hurt and he felt nauseous. He had no visible injuries and remained conscious. He was considered to be in fair condition when they took him to the Intermountain Medical Center.

But when Portillo arrived to the hospital, he slipped into a coma with swelling in his brain. Johana Portillo called detectives to let them know his condition had worsened.

That's when detectives intensified their search for the goalie. By Saturday evening, the teenager's father agreed to bring him down to speak with police.

Portillo's family said he had been attacked before, and Johanna Portillo said she and her sisters begged their father to stop refereeing because of the risk from angry players, but he continued because he loved soccer.

"It was his passion," she said. "We could not tell him no."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Referee Dies After Being Punched By Player
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 05:17:29 AM »
... man down in the line of duty, fulfilling and executing his passion for the game. RIP! Servant of the game!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:48 AM »
... another example of why officials should have special protection.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 05:26:05 AM »

From teenagers??!!   :o :o We really gone through as a specie yes.....*sigh*
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »

From teenagers??!!   :o :o We really gone through as a specie yes.....*sigh*

... even from Tantie Merle :). Special protection under the law.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
I feel this a 'one-off' thing, I doh really hear too much bout players (especially teenagers) beating up refs.

The lil (or big) Latino (who knows he could be ah bully) lose he good head and cuff dong de poor ref, not expecting to kill him, now he looking at jail time.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
I feel this a 'one-off' thing, I doh really hear too much bout players (especially teenagers) beating up refs.

The lil (or big) Latino (who knows he could be ah bully) lose he good head and cuff dong de poor ref, not expecting to kill him, now he looking at jail time.

A tragedy all around.  I feel it for that ref though, you gone to do something yuh love, not expecting to be killed for it.  Rec league too, at that.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 02:32:20 PM »
That youngster was probably gonna end up in jail sooner or later.  No respect for elders or authority and violent at age 17.
I feel sorry for the victim's family.  Senseless and tragic.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 05:04:59 AM »
I eh know, Fyzo. I doh know what the nature of this "recreational league" they describe is ... Buh from lil scenes I see play out in certain leagues, it ain't all that rare. Ah doh know if this league had a skewed ethnic composition, but I do know I've seen situations deteriorate to the point where deputies had to have a regular armed presence at "recreational" events ... wuss yet, doh let it be a "Jamaican" team (i.e. any team with a dread on it and black players) getting the rare favorable call by a "Mexican" ref.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:26:25 AM »

May 7, 2013
A Whistle, a Punch, and a Soccer Referee Is Dead
By SAM BORDEN
A little more than a week after a 17-year-old soccer player punched a recreation-league referee in the head in suburban Salt Lake City, the referee is dead, the player faces charges, and youth sports are left with questions about the seeming rise in severity of assaults on officials.

Ricardo Portillo, the 46-year-old referee, is only the second official in the United States known to have died as a result of referee assault, according to the National Association of Sports Officials. But Barry Mano, the organization’s president, said that many serious assaults went unreported, and Portillo’s eldest daughter, Johana, said her father had been assaulted before, sustaining broken ribs in another on-field attack about five years ago.

To some observers, Portillo’s death is simply the most recent example of a growing problem. Mano said treatment of officials had deteriorated drastically since he began the organization in 1980. At that time, he said, the notion that an official would have insurance specifically against assault was “ludicrous.”

“It wasn’t on anyone’s radar,” he said. “But now it’s part and parcel of what we do, and not a week goes by where we don’t get at least two or three calls with reports of officials being assaulted.”

Reliable data on referee assaults at all levels of all sports does not exist, but there have been several violent events worldwide in recent months. In December, a soccer official in the Netherlands died after being attacked by a group of players. Three months ago, a referee in Spain was hospitalized and had his spleen removed after being assaulted by a player. Last week, a New Jersey parent was arrested and charged with assault after he slapped a 17-year-old Little League umpire.

Youth sports leagues are the most problematic, Mano said, and his organization has lobbied to increase the states that have specific referee assault laws. (Utah is not one of them.)

Johana Portillo said her family was aware of the potential for violence in youth soccer matches. When she picked up the phone shortly after noon on April 27, she said, she was not surprised to hear from an uncle that her father had been injured while officiating.

“He said, ‘Your daddy is hurt, and he is going to the hospital,’ ” Portillo, 26, said in an interview Monday. “I said, ‘Again?’ ”

Ricardo Portillo was in a coma for a week. He and his family had planned a trip to Disneyland during those days, but his youngest daughter, Valeria, celebrated her 15th birthday by his hospital bed instead. “We brought cake there and sang to her there,” Johana Portillo said. “We were hoping for a miracle.”

Portillo died Saturday. The player has not been identified by the police because he is a minor.

“I have a lot of anger in me,” Johana Portillo said. “People at these games — they act so stupid sometimes. They don’t think that the referees have a family at home? That they have people who are waiting for them?”

Her father was working in La Liga Continental de Futbol, a recreational league formed in 2009 to give Hispanic children an opportunity to play soccer together in suburban Salt Lake City, according to the league’s president, Mario Vasquez. The league is similar to many around the country, Vasquez said, in that it gives the Hispanic community a place to bond over a passion for soccer.

Vasquez said that he was at the game when the assault took place, and that the player had not played in the league before. “But this league isn’t one where this kind of thing happens,” he said.

Still, Vasquez said, he is considering having off-duty police officers provide security at league games.

James Yapias, the coach of the player’s team, was approached by the player earlier that day about joining the team, Yapias’s brother, Tony, said in an interview. Because the season was just beginning and the league is considered a community organization, Tony Yapias said, his brother did not hesitate to allow the boy to play.

After Portillo called a foul on the player for shoving an opponent following a corner kick, he cautioned the player and showed him a yellow card. While Portillo was writing the player’s information in his notebook, the player swung at him, according to the police. Witnesses said the player threw only one punch before Portillo crumpled. Police officers found him lying on the field when they responded to a 911 call.

“He was laying on the ground, on his left side in a fetal position,” a police officer wrote in his report, which was obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune. “Ricardo was complaining of pain in his face, back and being nauseated.” The report added: “He had spit up a small amount of blood in his saliva.”

Portillo was taken to a hospital, and his condition quickly deteriorated. The player’s fate remains uncertain. He was arrested and charged with suspicion of aggravated assault. After Portillo died, the local police said additional charges would be considered, as would the question of whether he should be tried as an adult.

Johana Portillo said she did not know the player’s name and was not sure “whether I want to know him.”

As she planned her father’s funeral Monday, she said, she thought of her family’s plight: the Portillos moved to the United States from Guadalajara, Mexico, 16 years ago, she said, and her father had worked for a furniture company ever since. Her parents divorced about nine years ago, she said, but her father found happiness in his three grandchildren and loved being part of the local soccer scene.

Even after his previous assault, he brushed aside his family’s requests to consider giving up officiating. Johana Portillo said that left her concerned for her father’s safety, though she said she never imagined a player doing what this player did.

“Maybe he is a boy, but he was old enough to do what he did, so he must be old enough to be responsible and take the consequences,” she said.

“Maybe he didn’t mean to kill him. But he meant to hurt him. And because of that, he has to be responsible. He changed everything. He changed all our lives.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/sports/soccer/death-of-soccer-referee-ricardo-portillo-raises-questions-about-assaults-on-officials.html?hp
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:28:22 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Nothing in any of this to suggest that the incidence of assaults on officials is any greater than it is in society as a whole.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
I eh know, Fyzo. I doh know what the nature of this "recreational league" they describe is ... Buh from lil scenes I see play out in certain leagues, it ain't all that rare. Ah doh know if this league had a skewed ethnic composition, but I do know I've seen situations deteriorate to the point where deputies had to have a regular armed presence at "recreational" events ... wuss yet, doh let it be a "Jamaican" team (i.e. any team with a dread on it and black players) getting the rare favorable call by a "Mexican" ref.

I wasn't saying dat ref and linesman doh get cuff down from time to time yuh know, it's the actual killing of someone dat I feel is ah rare occurrence.

And as yuh talk bout favorable call, ah Latino league by me ban ah bredren of mine from the league.

They say he and two of his teamates to strong for de league...granted meh boy play for Ghana at u-17 and some pro ball in Ghana, but still :)

And yuh done know plenty ah dem Latinos does be rellll good with dey turning and twisting and ambidextrous self, dem africans does just treat dem with utter disdain, de ref dem doh like dat :)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referee beheaded for Stabbing a player
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Source link: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/07/06/Soccer-Ref-Stabs-Player-Then-Gets-Beheaded-During-Game

Report: Brazilian Soccer Ref. Stabs Player to Death Before Getting Beheaded During Game

A soccer referee in Brazil reportedly stabbed a player to death during an amateur match he was officiating on June 30 before getting beheaded shortly after.

According to horrific and barbaric Fox Sports report from Maranhão, referee Octavio da Silva Catanhede Jordan (pictured), who had a knife with him, reportedly stabbed player Josenir dos Santos Abreu to death after an argument during the game.

Then, according to the report, "family and friends of the player reportedly invaded the pitch to lynch the referee, who was gruesomely quartered and decapitated by the mob, which later hung his head on a stake."

Valter Costa, police chief of Santa Ines in Maranhão, confirmed that incidents were being investigated.

“Reports of witnesses have indicated some people that were in place at the time of the fact. We will identify and hold accountable all those involved," he said, according to Fox Sports. "A crime will never justify another. Actions like this do not collaborate with the legality of a state law.”
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Referee beheaded for Stabbing a player
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Saw the body in the morgue on internet rel madness
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 08:10:21 PM »
Cyar feel sorry fuh he @ all, that prick kill the ppl child and wants tuh continue livin, nah that's madness.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
For real!!!!???

JC you have to feel sorry...yuh cyah pick a side in things like this.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »
For real!!!!???

While I believe that the beheading was wrong and that retaliation of any type is wrong, I can understand the passions that fueled the collective anger the aggrieved player's family. Hence, I believe that Just Cool has a point. If someone murders a very close relative of mine, I have to admit that my first impulse would be to exact instant retribution.

With that said, it is wrong and I would make all efforts to avoid committing such a violent act.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:33:07 AM by kaliman2006 »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Referee beheaded for Stabbing a player
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
For real!!!!???

Saw it on YouTube. Check live leak also if yuh have the belly. I just search referee killed.

Four limbs and head cut off
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
Wtf boiii....this world rel gruesome
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
I eh watcing it. But this kind of behaviour spoiling WE game. I feel if a ref feels threaten, he should walk off the field. The high profile games will have security, but the amatuer games don't have none.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:28 PM »
Cyar feel sorry fuh he @ all, that prick kill the ppl child and wants tuh continue livin, nah that's madness.

Yes, he's somebody's child... but "de ppl child" was a 30-year old man who assaulted the 20-year old ref after the ref showed him a red card and he refused to leave the field.  The argument then became physical and the ref produced the knife.

As I had to explain to someone on FB last night, I blame it in part of how the game is played in Latin America... players try too much to influence the refs.  Not only with diving and simulation, but every whistle bringing ten players around the ref getting in his face and arguing as though he'll change his mind.  Of course this happens elsewhere as well... but watch any Brazilian League match and you'll see.  Not hard then to evision that kind of confrontational atmosphere turning physical/violent... especially when is amateurs with nothing to lose playing.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
here is the link to the autopsy
http://hiphopwired.com/2013/07/06/referee-kills-soccer-player-in-brazil-gets-beheaded/5/

For a group of people to react in this barbaric manner is quite appalling.

1]; } ?>