April 26, 2024, 10:48:33 PM

Author Topic: TnT need to invest in Coaching  (Read 3059 times)

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TnT need to invest in Coaching
« on: October 01, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »
Watching the Jabloteh game last night it was clear which team had the better game plan. The Jabloteh players were just as quick as the DC players, and had similar technical ability. The issue was approach to the game.

That comes from coaching.

It is the same problem we have at the national level from senior to U20 to U17.

It is the primary reason we does collect goals at all levels.

Tactically our approach to the game is not good enough.

That responsibility lies with the coach.

Foreign coach is not the answer, we have been having foreign coaching since the 60's the issue is they come and go.

This will not work.

Coaching needs to be made a profession.

It starts at the community level.

Lincoln Philips has started this with the coaching badges etc F,E,D,C,B,A but more needs to be done.

In order to coach your local club at youth level formal educations needs to be required.
To coach in primary school a certain badge should be required
To Coach in Secondary School a certain badge should be required
All TTFF regional leagues should have certified coaches.
Super League should require the Top badge
PFL should require a Top Badge

This is not an invention, This is the American System, which is build on the Europen System, Something similar also exist in South America.

The next generation of TnT players will need to be under the Training of more advanced coaches if we are to get to the next level.

We focus too much on players where coaching is the Key.

With proper coaching we can improve our football across the board to a decent level.

But it is a long term thing.

10 years minimum before consideral impact is seen, As a nation we seem incapable of seeing long term.

In we get a group of 7 years old now in TnT and expose them to a more professional midset to football

ie under the training of "Trained" Coaching in 10 years they would be much better players than the current players we are putting out.

Papers do not make you a better coach, and you can be a good coach without papers.

But no matter how good you are the process of going through coaching education will make you better that you were before.

This process will improve all the coaches in the country and the Standard of football will follow.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TnT need to invest in Coaching
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:50:04 AM »
Exactly...
however, to quote a few other posters
"We want it now"...so if we don't win 'now', the program not working, and is/should be replaced...
as ah fella say, if yuh wait a few years to see if it works, yuh not progressive
we want to eat we cake, and have it same time, but more than that, we doh even want to deal with how the cake come in the 1st place, we want somebody else to make it for we - juss pay somebody man...
KND, you talking bout the ingredients, and man juss wha eat

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:19:53 AM »
Licenses and youth development are great first steps but the fact is we consistently produce international caliber pros in 3 positions.

Striker
Center Back
Goal Keeper

Where we seem to be deficient is in the midfield and outside fullback positions. Who is teaching our players to play in those roles?  Why can't the players make the grade beyond local club level? How do we fix it?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »
How do you become a certfied coach in Trinidad? Is there a process that is TTFF approved and encouraged?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
KND2 i don't understand the line in your post that says,"Papers do not make you a better Coach and you can be a good Coach without papers"are you contradicting yourself because it does not match up with all of what you are trying to incinuate in your post.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »
should be

"Papers do not make you a good coach."

ie you can get a certificate and still be a bad coach but you probably got a little bit better as a result of the certificate courses.

my bad

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
should be

ie you can get a certificate and still be a bad coach but you probably got a little bit better as a result of the certificate courses.

my bad
       I hear you,thanks for clearing that up. :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
should be

ie you can get a certificate and still be a bad coach but yuh probably got a little bit better as a result of the certificate courses.

my bad

Nice post KND!

Yuh know what ah like about you, we could never write yuh off!

Sometimes yuh does come real off-key but other times you does hit the nail right on the head!  8)

This one is spot on! Please forward onto Oliver and let’s see if he can still read and get ideas or if he too senile now-a-days to even do that!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:55:20 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:29 AM »
What's this hatred of foreign coach thing ? like we forgetting verity and beenie or what ? or what about Brunner and Casa Grande and de bennedicts coach ?
 these people have contributed to the development of football in T&T in a significant way ...some for actually developing players , others for showing how with a little more organisation and professionalism a bunch of players could play like a team.
I for one not supporting no " we eh want no foreign coach ting " that is crazy
Look at england wid all dem titled coaches ....who do they have now ....
Real madrid gone foreign, Chelsea gone foreign, manchester united gone foreign, Costa rica gone foreign, paraguay gone foreign, arsenal,  ..W Connection and all gone foreign !
I could go on ...the list is long
I not saying you should not invest in local coaches ..in fact I have been saying that for years but until we get some experience we must rely on expertise from abroad.
UTT, UDECOTT, UWI, ii...nstitutions recognising that getting the job done is the primary focus all use foreign expertise....what allyuh saying ..dat if we had mario Zagallo for 4 years, men woudda still be mistrappin in world cup competition ?

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
What's this hatred of foreign coach thing ? like we forgetting verity and beenie or what ? or what about Brunner and Casa Grande and de bennedicts coach ?
 these people have contributed to the development of football in T&T in a significant way ...some for actually developing players , others for showing how with a little more organisation and professionalism a bunch of players could play like a team.
Real madrid gone foreign, Chelsea gone foreign, manchester united gone foreign, Costa rica gone foreign, paraguay gone foreign, arsenal,  ..W Connection and all gone foreign !
I not saying you should not invest in local coaches ..in fact I have been saying that for years but until we get some experience we must rely on expertise from abroad.
UTT, UDECOTT, UWI, ii...nstitutions recognising that getting the job done is the primary focus all use foreign expertise....what allyuh saying ..dat if we had mario Zagallo for 4 years, men woudda still be mistrappin in world cup competition ?

As you point out, foreign coaching resources can meet an immediate need at senior club or national team level.  There is easy justification for this. "We have an international tournament/league to play and win. Find the best available coaching for the team". 

The coaching needs of an overall development program reach far beyond the national youth teams or one or 2 clubs with foreign coaches. Properly trained local coaches for all youth age groups are required so that the job of generating technical, tactical, fit players is done ealry in the player's career.  If that happens, the national program can focus on wining games and tournaments as opposed to teaching the basics.  Some might say that your best coaches should be working with your youngest players.........

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »

As you point out, foreign coaching resources can meet an immediate need at senior club or national team level.  There is easy justification for this. "We have an international tournament/league to play and win. Find the best available coaching for the team". 

The coaching needs of an overall development program reach far beyond the national youth teams or one or 2 clubs with foreign coaches. Properly trained local coaches for all youth age groups are required so that the job of generating technical, tactical, fit players is done ealry in the player's career.  If that happens, the national program can focus on wining games and tournaments as opposed to teaching the basics.  Some might say that your best coaches should be working with your youngest players.........

I hear you ...in fact in some countries coaches are specialized into youth and senior coaches. A good developmental plan needs proven developmental guides .... but there is jack !
" keep them as they are and they will do nothing different and they will be content where they are knowing that they should not be there in the first place, ...and you will stay where you are ".... the politics of survival ...
TTFF- no vertibrates allowed !

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 12:57:58 PM »
I always hear that we don't need a foreign coach.  The question is:  "Do we have local coaches that are better than the foreign ones?"  The coaches that have given the best in development and production over the years have been foreign coaches.  Not because they were foreign but because they were good, e.g.  Beenie, and someone earlier mentioned, Bruner and others.  Now that we have players who have excelled overseas and been exposed tot he best coaches, some of them have a better chance of becoming good coaches.  Having sad that, not every good player will be a good coach.  It takes international exposure, experience and natural man management skills to be a good coach.  Given our small population, there will be few people with all those talents but we have to develop some, provide them with the opportunities learn via scholarships, internships, etc, then utilize them in the local scene.  Every time I see a TT team plays, I am convinced that our players have similar natural talent and sometimes the developed skills to compete. But our match strategy and technique is always sorely missing and that is what a great coach provides.  The TT Pro League, TT Amateur leagues, or high school coaching experience can never provide that.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
I always hear that we don't need a foreign coach.  The question is:  "Do we have local coaches that are better than the foreign ones?"  The coaches that have given the best in development and production over the years have been foreign coaches.  Not because they were foreign but because they were good, e.g.  Beenie, and someone earlier mentioned, Bruner and others.  Now that we have players who have excelled overseas and been exposed tot he best coaches, some of them have a better chance of becoming good coaches.  Having sad that, not every good player will be a good coach.  It takes international exposure, experience and natural man management skills to be a good coach.  Given our small population, there will be few people with all those talents but we have to develop some, provide them with the opportunities learn via scholarships, internships, etc, then utilize them in the local scene.  Every time I see a TT team plays, I am convinced that our players have similar natural talent and sometimes the developed skills to compete. But our match strategy and technique is always sorely missing and that is what a great coach provides.  The TT Pro League, TT Amateur leagues, or high school coaching experience can never provide that.

read Lightning post prev. to yours

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
My point is a foreign coach methodology has proven not to work.

After bennie left football went back to square one or even worse.

We need better players available to the national team which come from better coaching.

At community level.

Can we bring 200 foreign coaches to coach all the youth clubs in TnT.
That is where the focus is needed.

By the time you bring bennie to coach the senior team it too late.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »
The problem is the coaching that goes on at the youth level...not enough time is spent on having the young players develop a proper tactical knowledge of the game, and we seem to neglect ideas of the modern game such as:  total defence, forwards tracking back and closing down the channels (like is required in Italy- big player or not), ball possession.  Our players don't learn to strike the ball properly (part of this is due to playing surface conditions), and we definitely treat physical conditioning like an after-thought.  Until our coaches approach the game with a more holistic approach, and until we get some diffussion of well-trained coaches at the grassroots level, we will keep having the same problems:  players that are one dimensional, that are not well conditioned, that lack tactical acumen, that don't appreciate the defensive side of the ball, etc.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:42 PM »
Anybody notice that every T&T player who came on as a sub today pulled his shorts down before entering the field ? Is that a cultural thing or what ?
point I am making here is that the right attitudes and habits come early ...many of us are parents ..when did we start to tell our children what they should do ? attitude to homework, sports, dress, appearance etc. ?

Offline nnyman18

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
TNT NEED TO INVEST IN A FLECKING PROGRAM FROM U-8's AND STICK TO IT. I STILL BELIEVE WE DO NEED THE FOREIGN INFLUENCE BUT LOCAL COACHES NEED TO BE ALIGNED WITH THE FOREIGN COACHES TO HELP IMPLEMENT THE PROGRAM. DIVIDE TRINI IN 6 REGIONS NORTH SOUTH EAST WEST CENTRAL AND TOBAGO. ALL REGIONS SHOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE ESTABLISH COACHES/SCOUTS IN EACH REGION. THERE NEEDS TO BE A THREAD THAT RUNS FROM U-18 ALL THE WAY UP TO THE SENIOR TEAM. U8, U10, U12 U14 U16 U18 U20/21 U23, SENIOR TEAM.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A CRITERIA FOR EACH AGE GROUP SO A U12 PLAYER MOVING TO U14 SHOULD POSSESS CERTAIN ATTRIBUTES AS IT PERTAIN TO THE GAME OF FOOTBALL(for example first touch on the run, ability to make accurate passes within 30 yards,receiving on the run, quality decision making in tight spaces comfortable on the ball etc). THIS SHOULD BE DONE FOR EACH AGE GROUP.

THIS WILL ELIMINATE MANY Of THE ISSUES OUR SENIOR TEAM PLAYERS HAVE BEEN STRAPPED WITH OVER THE YEARS.

OUR SMALL GROUP AND INDIVIDUAL DEFENDING IS STILL NOT VERY GOOD, OUR ABILITY TO MAKE CONSISTENT QUALITY DECISIONS IN TIGHT SPACES IS STILL AN ISSUE, CLINICAL FINISHING ETC.

THESE AREAS CAN BE ADDRESS FROM A VERY EARLY AGE. WE HAVE ALL BEEN SAYING THE SAME THING FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS AND THERE IS STILL NO CHANGES. I WILL EXPOUND FURTHER AS MEN BEGIN TO ADDRESS THIS POST SINCE I HAVEN'T GONE INTO MUCH DETAILS
I LOVE THIS GAME BETTER THAN I LOVE THIS GAME

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
This horse done dead from lix, reincarnate from lix and dead from lix again, and repeat over and over again, ah does hate to keep talkin' about it but it does really be funny to see the topic continually poppin' up as a thread as if is a new discovery.  (no disrespect to you, KND2.) Is years decades generations now, that the powers-that-be in T&T football know that it is PROPER coaching at the youth level that will catapult us into the upper echelon of, first, possible regional dominance, if not consistency, and second, likely international success.......if not consistency.  By "consistency" I am talking about respectable performances against the world beaters of international football.

jackula has parlayed his administrative position in football from the federation to the fifa level to have granted us with his godfathership to have us always suckin' on his tits and relying on "his" money to save our football.  He will, however, never mandate the ttff to set up a full proper structure to improve our football where the improvement is needed most.  Changing the head coaches at senior level is not the solution.  Latas' job shouldn't have to be about teaching our defenders how to track back, midfielders how to trap, pass and shoot or Stern and KJ (lewwe doh even TALK 'bout he first touch) how to take proper penalties.  Dem is ting these players should already know and be proficient in executing since dey is at least 14.  A man in Latas' position is mainly supposed to be fine-tuning and building on tactics and an already well-laid foundation of fundamentals and development in everything from fitness to tactics to nutrition.   

I does always hear people talkin' about "exposure" and how it supposed to magically make our players better.  "exposure" does nothing to develop our natural talent, either.  We could play against Brazil, Paraguay, England, Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and the usa until the sun turn green.  We have long been "exposed"  and all that does is show us (for those of us with eyes to see) how much more work we need to come back home and do with our players and how wide the gaps are between us and all these other teams around the world.  As some have alluded to on a couple of posts, our cultural attitudes don't help either, but neither does our government.  The partnership required between the government, our schools and the ttff (and all other sports' governing bodies, for that matter) will never happen so let's just leave it up to ttff:  each of our wonderfully built stadiums can house a regional academy coaching staff and grounds crew where the best  players can meet every week and do nothing but train and learn how to play football.....properly.  This can be the feeder program for our various national teams.  This is just ONE idea.  I too tired to go into any others at this time.               

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:45 AM »
Anybody notice that every T&T player who came on as a sub today pulled his shorts down before entering the field ? Is that a cultural thing or what ?
point I am making here is that the right attitudes and habits come early ...many of us are parents ..when did we start to tell our children what they should do ? attitude to homework, sports, dress, appearance etc. ?

Yea that is a cultural thing, no big deal in that I think, just like some of them arab nations does kiss each other when they score and some other countries men does pat man bottom for no reason at all on the playing field.

But wrt to coaching, I disagree with the foreign coaching issue. I believe that we currently do not have the experience of coaching in T&T to take our game past the Caribbean level. Football today is ultra modern and extremely tactical.
You need a lot of theoretical training and experience on the sidelines to be a good coach.
Look at what happening to Latas and Maradonna.
At international level, between similarly competitive teams, the coach is the difference.
I tired say, u get what u sow.
the best coach in T&T right now is Fenwick, hands down. Fervier is also very good. Young Corneal aint that bad either.

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 06:18:00 AM »
Young Corneal aint that bad either.

u had mih until dat, an if is d U20s u had in mind, dat was vranes, please see d u17 recent results for ah measure of young cornmeals "stellar" accomplishments
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>