March 28, 2024, 02:52:54 PM

Author Topic: Woman killed by pet bear  (Read 2745 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Woman killed by pet bear
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »
Woman killed by pet bear while cleaning cage
Bear was kept inside a steel and concrete enclosure near her home

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania - Authorities say a Pennsylvania woman was killed by her pet 350-pound black bear Sunday evening as she cleaned its cage.

The Morning Call newspaper reported that a state Game Commission spokesman said Kelly Ann Walz, 37, kept the bear inside a steel and concrete cage near her house in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Officials said Walz threw some dog food to one side of the cage to distract the bear while she cleaned the other side. At some point the bear turned on her and attacked.

The bear was shot and killed. No information was available about who shot the bear.

Game officials say Walz also owned a Bengal tiger and an African lion and had licenses to own them.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Re: Woman killed by pet bear
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
I recently covered an animal sanctuary filled with exotic animals that humans decided would make good pets. I posted a photo or two of some of them.
A bengal tigress blinded after being beated by her owner. An African lioness suffering from bone malformation after being kept in a cage only big enough for a dog for most of her life. A lion being nursed back to health after being kept chained in a tiny cage. A tiger who was kept as a pet in a New York city apartment. Even a liger that was bred for fun.

The sanctuary's director commented witheringly on folks who try to pen or tame these animals. According to her, you can train them, subdue them with drugs to make them sit up, roll over and pose but you cannot tame them and in a flash they will return to being what they were meant to be...wild.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Sounds like another clear cut case of natural selection.

The only real travesty here is that the bear was confined in a cage and then shot for doing what bears do.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:41:28 AM »

The only real travesty here is that the bear was confined in a cage and then shot for doing what bears do.

ent?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »

ent?

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:05:41 AM »

it is not natural for bears to attack humans.   Just to clarify, it has been known to happen, but natural selection is not applicable in this instance.

The bear should never have been caged up...sad story. I am sure she loved that bear very much!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:35:45 AM »

it is not natural for bears to attack humans.   Just to clarify, it has been known to happen, but natural selection is not applicable in this instance.

The bear should never have been caged up...sad story. I am sure she loved that bear very much!

...from what I understand, any wild animal, even small ones, will attack. I am not as sure as you are that she loved the bear. Dunno if I missed it but it didn't mention whether the animal was abused or not but a cage is a cage. Having a license means nothing to them I imagine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »
de only ting belong in cage is man.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
So she watch a big friggin bear, and give him dog food?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
 ;D good sign.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
Look a next mook:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33180705/ns/world_news-americas/?gt1=43001

how dotish do you have to be? Maybe he thought he could sneak up on the world's best hunter? Become a tiger-whisperer?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 10:10:29 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »
atleast de tiger had ah good meal.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »
He didn't eat him, the man got mauled...I'm thinking he may not try this again.

But hear a ole talk. I was able to get inside a compound for close-ups of these animals. They wouldn't let my daughter in with me since to these cats, a small child is a snack.
Anywho. I am standing at the huge cage of an African lion. The lion was at the other end of the cage...a good 60 feet. I am talking with the director of the place as she explains what brought this cat to the sanctuary. She said "want to see him closer?". Dotish me bawl out "Sure!"
I had my camera around my neck, lifted it, took off the cap. She called him "HAWK!". The time it took me to look into the viewfinder, the lion was there, inches from me behind his fence. I did not hear him move, I could not focus on him - the lightening speed at which he covered those 60 feet was mind boggling. I moved the camera and looked and there he was, looking at me straight in the eye.
I had never been this close to such an animal before.
The hardwired survival instinct set my heart pounding painfully and I broke out in a sweat and yeah, I stepped back. They are HUGE! But smaller than tigers and tigers are even smaller than the Liger I saw.

Trivia:
Did you know tigers do not roar? They make a 'chuff' sound.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/C3_p8b2fwjk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/C3_p8b2fwjk</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 11:06:48 AM »
Who say Darwin Award ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »

it is not natural for bears to attack humans.   Just to clarify, it has been known to happen, but natural selection is not applicable in this instance.

I'm interpreting grimm's natural selection comment in a different manner ... as in the victim/dumbass deserved the fate suffered/arrived at the fate expected?

1]; } ?>