April 24, 2024, 06:16:40 PM

Author Topic: Charlie Davies injured in accident that takes another life  (Read 16915 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Charlie Davies injured in accident that takes another life
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:29 PM »
ARLINGTON, Va. -- U.S. soccer forward Charlie Davies was in surgery on Tuesday afternoon after being involved in a severe one-car accident on the George Washington Parkway in Virginia during the early hours of Tuesday morning.

There was a fatality in the accident, said U.S. Soccer spokesman Neil Buethe. He added that Davies was in stable condition and that his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Davies, who plays for the French club Sochaux, was expected to required more than five hours of surgery.

One person died in the accident, which took place at about 3:15 a.m. Tuesday in the southbound lanes of the highway. The U.S. Park Police identified the fatality as Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md.

No other U.S. players were in the car. The U.S. team, which qualified for the 2010 World Cup on Saturday in Honduras, is in Washington, D.C., for its final qualifier on Wednesday night against Costa Rica.

original location: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/10/13/charlie.davies/index.html

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie Davies injured in accident that takes another life
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »
Scary...

awful for the fatality...

At least CD is ok. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Scary...

awful for the fatality...

At least CD is ok. 

possible career ending injuries!

pressure...

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
Real sad and scary too...no one is immune from tragedy  :(

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »
Real sad and scary too...no one is immune from tragedy  :(

Big Up!

COSIGNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
WOW!  Really sorry to hear....especially about the person who died.

I rememberin Charlie jes saturday gone plantin a header on de Honduras goal and de keeper makin a big save and den charlie volleyin de rebound over de bar.  He hol he head and bawl after dat.  I sure he mus be willin to trade a lifetime of misses like that for de life of de person who dead now.

Pressha. 
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »
i real like dis youthman u know...swift recovery charlie

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »
why did he break camp? sorry to hear that sad
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

The game's in DC tomorrow... GW parkway is right across the river from DC and he was heading to DC at the time, likely back to the hotel.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:49:20 PM »
I heard about that accident but did not know he was involve. Sorry to hear about the fatality. This incident is close to home. My daughter was taking my son back to school about 2 weeks ago. I called them to find out how far they reached. To make the story short, my daughter ran off the road(it was raining) and smash a wooden fence and damaged the driver's side of her car. The insurance wrote the car off. They are fine and I am extremely lucky that the Big MAN was not ready for them.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »

The game's in DC tomorrow... GW parkway is right across the river from DC and he was heading to DC at the time, likely back to the hotel.

Wonder if he broke curfew....maybe not having already qualified.

3:15am - sounds like the driver lost control of the car - shame if there was alcohol involved....maybe just wet road, fatigue, momentary loss of concentration...geez....

I've lost close friends to road fatalities.  It's a harrowing thing to imagine what they might have gone through....cause for nightmares.  

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »
I heard about that accident but did not know he was involve. Sorry to hear about the fatality. This incident is close to home. My daughter was taking my son back to school about 2 weeks ago. I called them to find out how far they reached. To make the story short, my daughter ran off the road(it was raining) and smash a wooden fence and damaged the driver's side of her car. The insurance wrote the car off. They are fine and I am extremely lucky that the Big MAN was not ready for them.

Give Thanks boy Deeks!  Blessed.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
Everymorning, I does humble meh self!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

3:15am - sounds like the driver lost control of the car - shame if there was alcohol involved....maybe just wet road, fatigue, momentary loss of concentration...geez....

I've lost close friends to road fatalities.  It's a harrowing thing to imagine what they might have gone through....cause for nightmares.  

My guess is that curfew would extend only to the night before the game?

Dunno if you've ever driven the GW but its narrow and very winding and people tend to speed there all the times... I myself being guilty of that in the past.  If you're tired it can be very dangerous because it's also very dark, and the "Parkway" designation means that it's lined with trees.  Very easy to lose control on that stretch.  Years ago two fools got involved in a road rage incident at around 7:30 am and started chasing each other down the parkway.  A multi-car crash ensued and several people lost their lives.  Too early to speculate in this case what occurred... but speed and fatigue (at 3 a.m.) would be a fatal brew on that stretch.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »
Guys,
       What Bakes said about the GW parkway is true. Meadering, up hill downhill road. And YES, motorists speed. Lots of accidents at times.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »
Doh let truetrini hear yuh! he go wonder if yuh does be humbling yuh self tuh darwin.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 05:45:21 PM »
did he break anything that could end his career ? ah really like charlie, he's one for the future! get well soon CD.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
schueps  Very sad.  prayers to the family.  See how fragile everything is?  Lord help us.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Doh let truetrini hear yuh! he go wonder if yuh does be humbling yuh self tuh darwin.

ent again!!
deeks boy, ah glad d family make it out safe. ah really hate to hear/read about accidents  :(
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:15 PM »

My guess is that curfew would extend only to the night before the game?

Dunno if you've ever driven the GW but its narrow and very winding and people tend to speed there all the times... I myself being guilty of that in the past.  If you're tired it can be very dangerous because it's also very dark, and the "Parkway" designation means that it's lined with trees.  Very easy to lose control on that stretch.  Years ago two fools got involved in a road rage incident at around 7:30 am and started chasing each other down the parkway.  A multi-car crash ensued and several people lost their lives.  Too early to speculate in this case what occurred... but speed and fatigue (at 3 a.m.) would be a fatal brew on that stretch.

Yeah I've driven the GWP...potentially scary piece o' road...

Don't know about the curfew thing- 48 hr curfew period for sports teams resonates with me for some reason...guess it doh really matter at this point. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:37:34 PM »
Not to prejudice our minds before knowing all the facts but here's an interesting article from three yrs ago about speeding on the Parkway... it mentions the Terry case I referenced earlier.

The George Washington Speedway?

FRIDAY, MAY 19 2006
By JOEL FOWLER

126 miles per hour.

No, that’s not the warm-up speed of Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Jimmie Johnson in a test lap around Talladega or Daytona.

That’s actually how fast Georgetown University law student Drew Hoffman was clocked in his 2006 Infiniti G35 during the wee hours of March 12 on a deserted stretch of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.

Abandoned by everyone, that is, except for a U.S. Park Police officer in a Grand Marquis cruiser who finally caught the reckless spirit as he tried to elude pursuit.

Originally charged on three separate counts, Hoffman plead guilty May 11 to the lesser charge of reckless driving, a misdemeanor, in Alexandria Federal Court. The conviction carries with it a light sentence, though one that still landed the speedster in jail (12 days which will be allotted over four long weekends), on probation (one year in which the first 60 days he’s not allowed to drive), and a stiff fine ($1,200).

During sentencing, according to court transcripts, U.S. Magistrate Judge Barry R. Poretz scolded Hoffman: “In 15 years on the bench, having adjudicated literally thousands and thousands of speeding cases, this is the highest that I’ve ever had.”

Youthful indiscretion?
When asked for comment this week, Hoffman’s attorney Jim Clark, of the Alexandria defense firm of Land, Clark, Carroll, Mendelson, & Blair, characterized his client’s actions as “a momentary lapse in judgment.”

“It was four o’clock in the morning, and he was trying to impress a girl,” Clark said of the 28-year-old student. “He’s never done anything like this before, and there were no alcohol or drugs involved.”

When asked, as a lawyer himself, if he would have a problem hiring a new attorney like Mr. Hoffman who is likely to spend time behind bars, Clark emphatically stated, “If he applied and we had a position open, I’d hire Drew Hoffman in a second. He’s a bright, genial young man who’s learned a hard lesson, and anyone would be out of their minds to count this incident against him.”

However, Drew’s sentencer might beg to differ on this last point.

“This was an absolute lack of judgment,” Poretz scolded Hoffman. “You could have killed yourself. You could have killed the other person in the car. You could have killed someone else.”

Statistics provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration support the judge’s fear for public safety.

Based on a report issued late last year, speed-influenced fatal accidents have been on the rise both regionally and nationally. In 2004, of the 925 traffic deaths that occurred in the state of Virginia, 253 of them (26 percent) could be directly attributed to high rates of acceleration. The final projections for the U.S. in 2005 appear to be only worse, with overall fatality rates increasing by 1 percent, after two consecutive years of decline.

On your mark…
The well-paved, level lanes of the George Washington Parkway have enticed not only Drew Hoffman, but according to U.S. Park Police estimates, 1,700 other ticketed motorists so far this year, a pace that likely will far surpass 2005’s speeding totals.

However, the most disturbing trend to District Captain Jeanne O’Toole is the marked increase in the number of reckless drivers like Drew, who are caught going in access of 30 miles over the legal limit or 80-plus miles per hour, regardless of the limit.

“When you consider last year’s total was 600 and that we’ve already caught over 300 this year without the benefit of a holiday weekend,” Captain O’Toole explains, “well, that’s just scary.”

Get set…
“If there is one bright spot to the Drew Hoffman case,” affirms Sgt. John Gott, a spokesman for the local GW Parkway District station, “it’s that it’ll highlight the start of this year’s Smooth Operator Program.”

Supported by more than 50 law enforcement agencies from the District, Maryland and Virginia, Smooth Operator consists of four intense, one-week aggressive driving enforcement “waves,” which will occur monthly from May through August.

So, starting this Sunday (May 21), all patrol officers will be targeting any unsafe and unlawful actions that demonstrate a conscious and willful disregard for safety, which includes running red lights and stop signs; following too closely or tailgating; changing lanes unsafely; failing to yield the right of way; improper passing; and, of course, speeding.

This year marks the disheartening 10-year anniversary of the triple fatality homicide accident that sparked the Smooth Operator Program’s creation.

On April 17, 1996, in a fit of road rage, Narkey Keval Terry and Billy Canipe, both 26, began dueling in their cars as they drove up the George Washington Parkway. After traveling at speeds of up to 80 miles per hour, Terry’s Jeep eventually hit Canipe’s Beretta, causing the Beretta to spin across the median and into the southbound lanes, hitting two oncoming vehicles. Only one of the four drivers involved in the crash survived.

The “lucky” man in all this, Narkey Terry, sustained only a broken ankle and cuts and bruises to his face and chest. However, his high rate fate was not as fortunate as Drew Hoffman’s. In the same Fourth Circuit federal court where the Georgetown student would have his wrist slapped 8 years later, on Aprill 22, 1998, Terry was convicted on three counts of vehicular manslaughter and punished severely under the area’s first use of the aggressive driving provisions.

Sentenced to ten years, Narkey was made to carry out almost every day of his term. With time served, on February 27 of this year, the 36-year-old was released from prison a free man. But how “free” will Terry ever be after causing such tragedy?

(Mr. Terry’s legal counsel did not respond to multiple attempts for comment by The Alexandria Times).

Slow down
In this mad dash world, Captain O’Toole wishes more people would realize the intended purpose of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.

“This parkway is absolutely beautiful. This road is the one General Washington would travel from Mount Vernon to the Capital, and we strive to keep up its appearance.”

In a final plea to motorists more concerned about getting to their final destination in a timely manner rather than in a safe one, O’Toole said, “The parkway was not meant to be the Beltway. So, slow down and enjoy your surroundings.”

http://www.alextimes.com/news/2006/may/19/the-george-washington-speedway/

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
Davies Injured In Auto Accident
He Has Lacerated Bladder, Two Fractures in Leg

By Steven Goff
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Charlie Davies, a starting forward for the U.S. national soccer team and one of the American program's most promising young players, suffered a lacerated bladder and two fractures in his right leg in an auto accident that killed another passenger early Tuesday on the George Washington Memorial Parkway.

Davies was in serious but stable condition Tuesday night after several hours of surgery at Washington Hospital Center. Titanium rods were inserted into his leg to stabilize a broken tibia and femur. He also suffered facial and elbow fractures.

In a statement issued by the U.S. Soccer Federation, team physician Dan Kalbac estimated Davies's recovery will take six to 12 months and that he will require extensive rehabilitation, essentially ending his hopes of playing in next summer's World Cup in South Africa.

"Due to Charlie's fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and his ability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved," Kalbac said.

The one-car accident occurred around 3:15 a.m. on the southbound lanes of the parkway near the Memorial Bridge. Sgt. David Schlosser, a U.S. Park Police spokesman, said three people were inside the vehicle that crashed into a metal guardrail that lines the parkway where it crosses Boundary Channel. Ashley J. Roberta, 22, from Phoenix, Md., was pronounced dead at the scene. A police investigation into the accident is ongoing.

"The car was pretty much split in half," Schlosser said. The USSF said it was told by police that Davies, 23, was not the driver. The third person in the vehicle was not identified.

With no official team functions scheduled until midday, USSF officials did not learn of the accident until late in the morning. Coach Bob Bradley told the players before lunch at the team hotel in Pentagon City.

"We are relying on each other in a moment that, for sure, hit us all hard," he said at the beginning of a regularly scheduled news conference. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and Charlie's family, as well as the other [persons] in the car and the families of the others involved."

The U.S. team is in Washington for a World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica on Wednesday night at RFK Stadium. After clinching a Cup berth Saturday night in Honduras, the squad arrived in Washington to prepare for the final game of a six-nation qualifying group.

Players were under curfew, though the time of it was not immediately known. Davies will be hospitalized at least a week and require additional procedures to treat the elbow and possibly the facial injuries.

On Saturday, Davies played 78 minutes and assisted on the first of Conor Casey's two goals during the 3-2 victory in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. He has made 17 appearances for the national team and scored four goals, including one against Mexico in August.

Davies plays professionally for Sochaux, a French first-division club that acquired him from Hammarby in Sweden this summer. The Manchester, N.H., native starred at Boston College before turning pro with one year of eligibility remaining.

After playing for the under-23 squad at the 2008 Olympics in China, Davies emerged on the national team scene in earnest this year and, with breakaway speed and a scoring touch, played an instrumental role in the Americans' surprising run to the championship game of the FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.

He had been projected as a likely starter in next summer's World Cup.

The incident dampened what had been a celebratory mood for the U.S. squad, which will participate in the sport's premier event for the sixth consecutive time. Despite having clinched a berth, the Americans were taking a serious approach to Wednesday's match in hopes of finishing first in the group -- ahead of arch rival Mexico -- and possibly improving their portfolio before the World Cup draw in December.

Bradley is expected to use many regulars against Costa Rica, which is in third place and probably needs a victory to clinch one of the region's three automatic berths. The Costa Ricans are two points ahead of Honduras, which will play its finale Wednesday at already-eliminated El Salvador.

"It's a good feeling to secure our place," Bradley said. "We viewed it as a big challenge [winning in Honduras] and we were excited at the end as a team that we came through. Taking care of it before the final game is the goal of all teams."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/13/AR2009101303206.html

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:22:22 AM »
OOOHHHHHH GGGGGOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!
that sound career ending boy!!!!!! sorry boy charlie! sorry! i hope yuh recover fully.               positive.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 06:55:05 AM »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »
Front Half

Rear Half

I saw a car like this once on the Western Main Rd in Cocorite.
The driver's body was splattered on the road.
Davies and the other person REAL lucky to be alive.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:42:36 AM by Peong »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »
true dat peong.

me eh know how dem survive dat.

common scene on the roadways of T&T unfortunately.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »
Very sad story.  :(
Hart for president

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
My prayers are with the accident victims and their families.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
Here is to wishing you a speedy recovery. All blessings and mercies belong to Jehovah.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »
Condolences and speedy recovery.

1]; } ?>