March 28, 2024, 01:28:06 PM

Author Topic: Turton/Osborne Foundation hands out $50,000 bursaries  (Read 2369 times)

Dumplingdinho

Turton/Osborne Foundation hands out $50,000 bursaries
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:34:35 PM »
Turton/Osborne Foundation hands out $50,000 bursaries
T&T Newsday.

THE Val Turton/Carl Osborne Foundation will host an Intercol Fiesta on October 24 at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

The Foundation, which engages primarily in charitable work recently held its Bursary Awards Ceremony, distributing $50,000 in bursaries to Akida Boisseire, Carl Spencer, Kyron Neale (Presentation College), Sherrick Hilaire, Keston Smith (Naparima College), Kareen Richardson (QRC), Veer Lakhan-Joseph (St Mary’s College), Mariah Shade (Debe High) and Shrees Morgan (Fyzabad Anglican).

The Intercol Fiesta is intended to recapture the glory days of Naparima College, Presentation College, QRC and St Mary’s when they vied for the Cow and Gate Cup.

Naparima will play Presentation at 9 am while QRC will take on St Mary’s immediately after. The winner of each will play in the final at 4.15 pm.

There will be live entertainment and other fun activities throughout the day. Admission for students is $10 and $20 for adults. The Intercol Fiesta has the full support of the Secondary Schools Football League and is the result of an invitation by Mayor of San Fernando Kenneth Ferguson to make the event part of the city’s annual celebrations.

The Val Turton/Carl Osborne Foundation originated in 2001 when past students of Naparima and Presentation Colleges decided to honour their colleagues Val Turton and Carl Osborne by making positive contributions to the development of football in south.

Val Turton was a member of a popular sporting family in San Fernando and played football for Presentation College, Juniors Sports Club, Maple Sports Club, the Southern Amateur Football Association (SAFA) and was a member of the national team. Osborne played for his school Naparima College, Juniors Sports Club and SAFA. He also coached Naparima and Presentation to national intercol and league championships.

The officers of the foundation are: Dr Jean Ramjohn-Richards (Patron); Ken Davis (President), Adrian Chandler, Dennis Turton (Vice-Presidents); Guy Ottley (Secretary-Treasurer); Fred Thornhill (PRO); Joel Edwards (Director).

Nice to see Pres and Naps including other schools and giving bursaries to the players as well.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:32:21 PM by E-man »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Turton/Osborne Foundation hands out $50,000 bursaries
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
 :applause: :applause:  very good stuff
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »
well Pres is the best!

naps eh too shabby
Back in Trini...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »

Nice to see Pres and Naps including other schools and giving bursaries to the players as well.

Only students from those schools are deserving?

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:16:44 PM »

Yep!!!  :devil:
TnT Patriot

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »

I don't understand yuh question....yuh expect them to split $50,000 with 30 schools.
It start off as only Pres and Naps and now they trying to extend it to help others, the money comes from the Pres/Naps game so it is nice that they including others who probably don't even attend the game.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:28:34 PM »
It start off as only Pres and Naps and now they trying to extend it to help others, the money comes from the Pres/Naps game so it is nice that they including others who probably don't even attend the game.
very well done indeed
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
I don't understand yuh question....yuh expect them to split $50,000 with 30 schools.

Clearly you don't. Where did I say or suggest they should split it with 30 schools? 

What I'm questioning is the selection criteria... how were those students selected, was it based on Geography?  The stated mission of the organization is to promote the development of football in the South.  I see players from St. Marys and QRC among the recipients... are those students from South but happen to go to school up north? 

At any rate, lest this degenerate into something it need not be... my larger point is that we should be trying to promote the development of football in TnT, I'd like to see them open up eligibility to students from everywhere, not just from one geographic locale... Trinidad (throw een Tobago if yuh want) is tiny... yet we, for lack of perspective remain beholden to these imaginary boundaries we've erected for ourselves.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:41:33 PM »
It appears to be open to(for the time being) the original intercol teams. Cow and Gate trophy! I old, but that is before my time.

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
 ;D Pres forever!!!!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:17 AM »
I'd like to see them open up eligibility to students from everywhere, not just from one geographic locale... Trinidad (throw een Tobago if yuh want) is tiny... yet we, for lack of perspective remain beholden to these imaginary boundaries we've erected for ourselves.
[/quote]

didnt they not open it to players outside of south? they can't help everyone is not pres and naps job to help the entire country, dat attitude is the problem with not only our sports but our people as ah whole, want one person to help everybody instead of trying to help yuhself...why el do, st augustine can't do the same in de east, roxborogy and signal hill do the same in tobago, or why the SSFL don't do it...it not pres and naps job to help the whole country when the fundraising is done from 1 single football game.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
amazing how doing a good thing like this reach to this type of discussion. We don't know the plans of the foundation. For all we know as time goes on, more areas will be eligible..
Back in Trini...

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
lol arguing is like a tonic for some trinis sometimes ....sometimes things have to start small and see where it go from there.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
didnt they not open it to players outside of south? they can't help everyone is not pres and naps job to help the entire country, dat attitude is the problem with not only our sports but our people as ah whole, want one person to help everybody instead of trying to help yuhself...why el do, st augustine can't do the same in de east, roxborogy and signal hill do the same in tobago, or why the SSFL don't do it...it not pres and naps job to help the whole country when the fundraising is done from 1 single football game.

I don't know... which is why I asked a question.  The defensive posture you assumed from your opening response posits this as some sort of argument... despite me clearly stating that it need not be.  A point seemingly lost on NYtriniwhiteboy and Ngozi... what "type of discussion" is this?  Who is "arguing"?  I made an observation... hard luck if allyuh ent like it, really.

Nightmare I can only assume that you affiliated with "Pres and Naps" the way you eating up yuhself about is not their responsibility to do this and to do that, and in your haste to do so you continue to miss or otherwise overlook my point.  There is the suggestion that this is the start of something that eventually could grow.  Maybe... but the mission statement seems pretty clear as to the geographical limits of the foundation's scope.

My initial observation stands... why limit it?  San Fernando is about 10-15 miles from Port of Spain, but the way we Trinis think you'd swear they were two islands separated by water and hostilities.  It is good that they want to give back to their neighborhoods, but instead of defensively saying "is not Pres and Naps job, why el do and St. Augustine can't do the same in the East" why not look at the bigger picture?  Invite the other schools to participate (maybe moving it to the off-season) and that way you get the other teams followers to come to the games as well... more money available for disbursement.

I speak because I'm qualified to speak.  For the past several years I have personally been involved in trying to get something like this off the ground... a means of restarting the old "North-South" rivalry but involving schools from all quadrants in TnT, in an effort to benefit youth football in TnT, not just East, West, North or South.  It's not an easy process and this Turton/Osborne Foundation seems to have found a way to get a similar idea off the ground and is enjoying some success, albeit limited success.  The potential for more is there and that's the singular fact that I'm lamenting... that they haven't tapped into that.

But of course all some ah allyuh see is "argument" and the reaction is very telling... it is precisely the same sort of attitude and lack of perspective (inability to look beyond artificial borders and see the bigger picture) that continues to hold our football back.  It holds us back by preventing grassroots efforts from being more coordinated, everybody happy working within their own little box.  It also holds us back on a higher level b/c no one sees the potential to unite and force changes in how football is administered in TnT.

But is only "argument" allyuh seeing... so with that said I will take my leave of the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:15:52 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »
I hope the Turton/Osborne fonudation keep up the good work and continue to build on the contributions of those two individuals.  Hopefully this thread stays positive.

BNS,
I think Nightmare trying to say it started as Pres/Naps event and it is growing but people should not expect everyone to benefit from it right now.

Nightmare,
I think BNS is saying the objectives of the foundation are good and hopefully it could be leveraged by others or include others which they are trying do now by inviting QRC and CIC and also giving money to the players.

Basically you are both saying the same thing but in a different way so don't spoil the thread.  Good to see some positive news for a change in regards to trinidad youth football.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
BnS i admit at first I thought u were saying that as a start it was not enought. SO hard luck there...But again I think the foundation needs to be applauded first
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>