March 28, 2024, 08:59:27 AM

Author Topic: Buju Banton Thread  (Read 37754 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Buju Banton Thread
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:03:26 AM »
Buju breaks under pressure? Deejay holds meeting with gays

Buju breaks under pressure?

Deejay holds meeting with gays

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Deejay Buju Banton yesterday met with four members of San Francisco's gay community in what is being seen as a move to discuss the continued cancellations of the gigs at various points on his Rasta Got Soul tour of the United States, due to pressure from gay rights groups.

This was reportedly Buju's first meeting ever with gay advocates, to put an end to the controversy that continues to plague him due to his song, Boom Bye Bye, which
he recorded years ago while still a teen.

Back row from left: Buju's PR representative Jonathan Mack, , Bevan Dufty, Andrea Shorter, Eric Mar, Rebecca Rolfe and Tracii McGregor of Gargamel Music. Front row, Michael Petrelis and Buju. (Photo courtesy of Michael Petrelis)
Present at the meeting were gay leaders' supervisor Bevan Dufty, who arranged the meeting, Rebecca Rolfe, executive director of the San Francisco gay community centre, Andrea Shorter of Equality California and advocate Michael Petrelis. Also present was supervisor Eric Mar, a straight leader in the Asian community, Buju, members of his PR team and president of his music company, Gagamel Music, Tracii McGregor.

Advocate Michael Petrelis, who was part of the meeting, was quoted on his blog as saying, "the meeting was very civil and productive, even though at times I had to play the "bad cop" activist, especially when Buju was dominating the discussion, and we made several suggestions for him to consider, in order to start to undo some of the problems he has in the gay community because of his past anti-gay lyrics."

Among the items on the list of demands the gay rights lobbyists put forward was that Buju think about making statements in Jamaica calling for love toward gays; donate to the JFLAG group; hold a town hall meeting in Kingston about the need to respect gays and sing about loving gay people . All the suggestions were rejected by Buju, which is said to have infuriated the lobbyists present.

Petrelis also stated that although the meeting was a beneficial first step, the gay community will want more concrete steps taken, before our actions against Buju's concerts will cease.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:09:15 AM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Buju breaks under pressure? Deejay holds meeting with gays
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:08:08 AM »
well
he ded when he returns to Jamaica

TnT well represented I see ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
ah guess when ah man hungry and broke he will alter his ideals.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »
Look Mack in the thick of things again. Haha. I am GLAD he is building bridges.  ;D
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »
Yah joking rite ,how buju broke ?Yah eint hear Driver few months ago .

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
wuh make him willin to succumb to de bullers..........could b a desire fuh more money then.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:34 AM »
humph, Buju painting himself into a corner here jes by taking this pic

While I commend him for his efforts, which, even to an extent are self serving because if they didn't ban his shows he definitely wasn't meeting with no gays. But Buju is from Jamaica, where his countrymen and dancehall fraternity members are notoriously homophobic and are known for taking things too far.

I could see things getting way outta hand and Buju having to explain himself as to why he taking pictures with "batty man".

Més que un club.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:45:34 AM »
wuh make him willin to succumb to de bullers..........could b a desire fuh more money then.

If you take the time to read the article it clearly explains why Buju decided to meet with them gay advocates.
See below quote from article...

Deejay Buju Banton yesterday met with four members of San Francisco's gay community in what is being seen as a move to discuss the continued cancellations of the gigs at various points on his Rasta Got Soul tour of the United States, due to pressure from gay rights groups.

This was reportedly Buju's first meeting ever with gay advocates, to put an end to the controversy that continues to plague him due to his song, Boom Bye Bye, which
he recorded years ago while still a teen.

Back row from left: Buju's PR representative Jonathan Mack, , Bevan Dufty, Andrea Shorter, Eric Mar, Rebecca Rolfe and Tracii McGregor of Gargamel Music. Front row, Michael Petrelis and Buju. (Photo courtesy of Michael Petrelis)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:51:45 AM »
I'm surprised Buju did this.
I wonder if he will continue to sing Boom By Bye.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »

When last did you hear Buju sing "Boom Bye Bye" live at one of his shows? Just wondering!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:10:02 AM »

When last did you hear Buju sing "Boom Bye Bye" live at one of his shows? Just wondering!

I don't know, I assumed he still sang it.
If he purposely does not sing it any more he could just tell de bullers dat and let dem relax!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »

I heard him sing it live in Albuquerque, new mexico less than 2 years ago.  look like show at same venue this coming weekend not cancelled.  maybe jus san fran and other parts of california have gay groups with enough political pressure to cancel shows.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »
Eminem had to do the same kinda thing ,he had a duet with Elton to get them fags off his back .

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »
He doh sing it again in concert.

But what he DOES do is de deejay does start de riddim....Buju will sing..."ME SEH BOOM BYE BYE".....AND STOP.  De crowd does complete de ress fuh him.

De crowd does go WILD and he does jes wheel and go into a nex song.  Basically.... a lil teasah without actually singin it.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »
how come nobody else have a flag...but mr attention whore heself hadda rep he flag on he jacket?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
how come nobody else have a flag...but mr attention whore heself hadda rep he flag on he jacket?

He just showing that there is a good mix among the bullers and fags. Two of them are nigger bitch fags. The one up in the back looking like a chink buller or maybe he mixed he might have some wetback in him. The Trini guy looking mixed too probably part nigger, part coolie, all buller.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

truetrini

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 09:21:04 AM »

He just showing that there is a good mix among the bullers and fags. Two of them are nigger bitch fags. The one up in the back looking like a chink buller or maybe he mixed he might have some wetback in him. The Trini guy looking mixed too probably part nigger, part coolie, all buller.

hahahahahahahaha

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Faggots have been winning the war against Reggae artist all over the world. They are taking money from the pockets of nuff artist. I do not see how the f**king world thing  being a faggot is not a sin. I bun faggots wid no apologies. God make man to f**k woman , not to push his wood innah man batty.
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
quick mixting let outrage hear this .
http://www.zshare.net/audio/669945512cec849e/

listening pleasure only

Black Lives Matter..

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 10:33:01 AM »
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »

According to the caption the Trini is Buju's PR rep.
Maybe he shoulda hold up a sign sayin, "I'm not one of them."

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:06 PM »

But like he get your attention ...... ;D
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »

whoa  :o....didnt see that commin

JDB have ah evil twin or wha?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 02:11:30 PM »
see what gays do to shabba career

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ8Z0biU_Zw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ8Z0biU_Zw</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ8Z0biU_Zw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JZ8Z0biU_Zw</a>

According to a learned Jamaican friend of mines the term chi-chi man refers to a child molester who is not necessarily a gay person but rather someone who seeks sex with children or those who have not yet reached the age of consent.
So in that context I would agree with the sentiments of Elephant Man's hit song when he says “Logon & step pon chi-chi man” as I will not condone child molestation in any shape or form.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 10:08:17 AM »
Among the items on the list of demands the gay rights lobbyists put forward was that Buju think about making statements in Jamaica calling for love toward gays; donate to the JFLAG group; hold a town hall meeting in Kingston about the need to respect gays and sing about loving gay people . All the suggestions were rejected by Buju, which is said to have infuriated the lobbyists present.

why dey pushing dey words in buju banton mouth? ah find dat real over de line. like dey want PSA and have him on a float in de pride parade?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »

why dey pushing dey words in buju banton mouth? ah find dat real over de line. like dey want PSA and have him on a float in de pride parade?

Is almost like dey want him tuh be VP of Marketing or someting.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »

According to a learned Jamaican friend of mines the term chi-chi man refers to a child molester who is not necessarily a gay person but rather someone who seeks sex with children or those who have not yet reached the age of consent.
So in that context I would agree with the sentiments of Elephant Man's hit song when he says “Logon & step pon chi-chi man” as I will not condone child molestation in any shape or form.

And you buy dat wholesale?

Nah...you couldn't possibly be dat gullible. 

Yuh ever hear bout chi chi foo foo?

Learned jamaican...daz a serious oxymoron ::) ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:44 PM »

And you buy dat wholesale?

Nah...you couldn't possibly be dat gullible. 

Yuh ever hear bout chi chi foo foo?

Learned jamaican...daz a serious oxymoron ::) ::)

::)  ;D

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Buju Banton Thread
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
Buju banton locked up

banton is in a miami jail charge wid sum massive set of driugs.. look like di battyman dem set up d Banton. more news to come on this . he is in federal lock up and looking at bout 35 + years if convicted..

war

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 04:08:06 AM by Flex »
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>