March 29, 2024, 01:19:32 AM

Author Topic: Liburd: 'Little Magician' needs strong closing act.  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Liburd: 'Little Magician' needs strong closing act.
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:51 PM »
By Lasana Liburd (tnttimes.com).

Dreams of South Africa 2010 have disappeared long ago. Instead, Trinidad and Tobago’s football stars like Kenwyne Jones and Carlos Edwards might be forgiven for having one eye on the next assignment for their professional clubs on the weekend.

The Mexican national team are unlikely to risk much either. “El Tricolor” have already booked their spot at next year’s World Cup and it would be difficult for them not to see tonight’s 8 pm kick off at the Hasely Crawford Stadium as an anti-climax.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) showed their appreciation for the contest too by slashing ticket prices to $300 (covered stands) and $200 (uncovered).

For national player/ coach Russell “the Little Magician” Latapy, though, tonight’s match might as well be a Cup final.

Latapy’s contract at the helm ends this month and, despite the niceties from the media and the relative understanding from the public, one of the country’s most gifted past players would know that he can take little for granted on these shores.

From seven outings since he inherited Francisco Maturana’s post, Latapy has managed just two wins with five losses and even the triumphs were not exactly stirring stuff—a nervous 1-0 World Cup qualifying triumph over El Salvador and a scrappy 3-2 away win against St Kitts and Nevis.

More often than not, the “Soca Warriors” have played the role of valiant loser—as in a 3-2 loss to Costa Rica at Bacolet and a 2-1 defeat against Mexico at the Azteca Stadium—and that is not the sort of returns to guarantee a long career in this profession.

Even worse, there was nothing plucky about the hiding received in Costa Rica on Saturday when only superb individual performance from W. Connection goalkeeper Marvin Phillip prevented a score much worse than the eventual 4-0 deficit while the Warriors looked as woeful as they had on April 1, 2009 when they lost 3-0 to the United States at Nashville.

Results aside, there are a few more worrying statistics that need redress.

The Warriors are yet to successfully recover once behind while, remarkably, 11 of our 16 goals conceded came in the second half. This suggests that either Latapy’s halftime speeches need work or his substitutions are less than inspired. Maybe even both.

Collin Samuel apart, who came off the bench to score within 20 minutes against Costa Rica, there has been little obvious value to Latapy’s changes while his tactical shuffle when he introduced veteran Dwight Yorke—now his assistant coach—against El Salvador almost cost us the game. Samuel, incidentally, is notable by his absence and he is not the only one.

It beggars belief that Latapy cannot find a place in his squad, let alone his starting line-up, for Belgium-based man-child Khaleem Hyland, arguably Trinidad and Tobago’s most complete midfielder since Aurtis Whitley in his pomp.

Denizlispor striker Darryl Roberts and W. Connection attacker Andre Toussaint might have also boosted a squad that lacks offensive firepower and it is ironic that Defence Force striker Devon Jorsling has become a fixture at a time when his form is below his usual standards.

Wigan striker Jason Scotland spends so much time wondering where his next game is coming from that he looks shorn of confidence in national colours while Caledonia AIA midfielder Keon Daniel, who scored four times in the earlier qualifying rounds, has regressed since Maturana’s departure and Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones is yet to open his account for Latapy.

The Little Magician, who opted to make his debut as coach in Bacolet, must get his men to ignite Port of Spain tonight.

Joe Public midfielder Trent Noel, who was superb for much of this campaign, and Ipswich winger Carlos Edwards were below their best in San Jose and should aim to make up for that tonight while Hayden Tinto would remind Latapy of his superb strike in the Azteca—the first competitive goal by any Trinidad and Tobago player in Mexico City.

Mexico travelled with the likes of Arsenal striker Carlos Vela and, given half a chance, they are capable of hurting the hosts. We must attack them first. A good closing result can only help Latapy’s job prospects.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:58:43 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 'Little Magician' needs strong closing act
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »
a a, Lasana boy...yuh resurface.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:27:36 PM »
Tallman like yuh edit the full article or what?? that's not what i read when it was first posted! the man talked about hyland and roberts not getting selected!

who fork wid the article?

anyway lassana, yuhs the fuss man who address this! occonor , fazer and baptistse  made no mention of the chaos that was team selections, non whatsoever!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:29:57 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
Tallman like yuh edit the full article or what?? that's not what i read when it was first posted! the man talked about hyland and roberts not getting selected!

who fork wid the article?

It got lost in the shuffle. The missing paragraphs have been put back.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Liburd: 'Little Magician' needs strong closing act.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
The BOSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
hmmm TnT.Times eh! lol Ah see Liburd...Fenwick...who next?  ;D Look thing.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »

Warrior alert.  Any guesses as to who?

Yuh could see de chagrin boy.

Caption de pic nah  8)

Mine....."dem tesses RELL forkin up meh 300 vibes yes!"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:22:57 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »
By Lasana Liburd (tnttimes.com).[/color

It beggars belief that Latapy cannot find a place in his squad, let alone his starting line-up, for Belgium-based man-child Khaleem Hyland, arguably Trinidad and Tobago’s most complete midfielder since Aurtis Whitley in his pomp.

Denizlispor striker Darryl Roberts and W. Connection attacker Andre Toussaint might have also boosted a squad that lacks offensive firepower and it is ironic that Defence Force striker Devon Jorsling has become a fixture at a time when his form is below his usual standards.
Lasana boy, yuhs the only man who brought this up. and i iwll like tuh thank yuh for having the insight and honesty to confront this in an article!

i've been waiting for fazer, baptiste, and o'connor to address this in an article for the whole hex, but they never did, and that lead me to believe those fellas don't know sh!t bout the sport.

the blind coulda see that khaleem hyland aurtis whitley and darryl roberts was the men tuh produce goals in the front and spare head this campaign.

to me i believe that makkan hislop is ah better defender than abubakar, and julius james and hislop should be the men tuh take us to 2014 qualifiers.

i hope latapy lose tonight and get fired in the morning! we need ah foreigner, and when ah say foreigner ah doh mean vranes or fenwick! i mean ah WHITE MAN FROM FROM EUROPE WHO DOH KNOW WHERE T&T IS !!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »
I waiting tuh see what this tnttimes.com all about...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:41:57 PM »

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!....thank you lord..... :notworthy: :notworthy: :party: :party: :cheers: :cheers:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
a a, Maturana boy...yuh resurface.

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

yyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaayyyyy!!!!!....thank you lord..... :notworthy: :notworthy: :party: :party: :cheers: :cheers:

Hmmmm....I always knew u was a closet supporter.  Jes didn't realise how much.  8)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Hmmmm....I always knew u was a closet supporter.  Jes didn't realise how much.  8)

I know you just playing wid me cuz I've never hid the fact that I'm one of Lasana's biggest fans....yuh bachanalist!!...
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I know you just playing wid me cuz I've never hid the fact that I'm one of Lasana's biggest fans....yuh bachanalist!!...

Bachanalist?  Lasana? Read de quote in bold above again... 8)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
Lasana, Thanks
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »
Good closing act. Well done Latas under difficult circumstances.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »
Latas must GO!!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »
Latas must GO!!

Say that again cause like man deaf and blind here.  But I would go for dotish.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »
I feel a little betrayed by Latas ,we were begging for him ,and I dont think he ever took a drop of advice from this site .So all I could say is good luck boss.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 03:34:20 AM »
I feel a little betrayed by Latas ,we were begging for him ,and I dont think he ever took a drop of advice from this site .So all I could say is good luck boss.
You're so kind, good riddance is more like it!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 05:37:10 AM »

HE's Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Bachanalist?  Lasana? Read de quote in bold above again... 8)

oooopsss....I was framed!!.... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »
he writing for d tnttimes? wais da?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »

I hope you joking  :rotfl:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:28 AM »
WHITE MAN FROM FROM EUROPE WHO DOH KNOW WHERE T&T IS !!!

so, why it have to a white man?
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:08 AM »

Doh study he, I hate racist people.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

Doh study he, I hate racist people.
What does racism have tuh do wid it!! all i was saying was i want ah european coach who don't know our players , the white man lyrics was just sarcasm, you've heard of that word havn't you? if yuh remember i was the one calling for rijkard or gullet to replace latas from the first game, since when dem fellas white?  ssstteeeuuupppsss!!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 03:34:14 PM »

I hope you joking  :rotfl:
I know I know I was prepared for such a response ,I know we are a bunch of nobodies in the the Football world and Latas accomplished more than we could ever dream off  .But still is he getting fired not us lol ,he shoulda forking listen ,to some"nobody's" haha .Cause I know sports  :P ....all sports .....well almost all.

1]; } ?>