March 28, 2024, 01:33:32 PM

Author Topic: Fenwick: Warriors must lift intensity.  (Read 6328 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Fenwick: Warriors must lift intensity.
« on: October 14, 2009, 03:26:28 PM »
Fenwick: Warriors must lift intensity.
By: Terry Fenwick (tnttimes.com)

Mexico are in a rich vein of form having now qualified for the 2010 World Cup and after beating El Salvador 4-1 at the Azteca Stadium on Sunday. They have reverted to their typical style of play, short intricate passing with movement at a slow methodical pace that suits their beautiful game. Who knows how serious Mexico will take today’s game now that they have already qualified? What players Mexico select and how they play will be out of T&T’s control, all we can do is assert our brand of football and, after our poor performance in Costa Rica, we had better lift our intensity or they could well beat us with their youth team!

We cannot allow Mexico to play. We have to be resolute and defend as a team while keeping the distances between the players short to ensure players can perform at a pace that is uncomfortable to Mexico for long enough periods of the 90 minutes. Mexico like to play from the back so we must go in there and snuff them out and prevent them from playing.

High pressure games generate mistakes, so we must force the issue and break quickly, straight for the jugular. It might not be pretty but it is exciting when your team play with passion.

I think our service from set plays has been abysmal for much of the campaign. We should put Trent Noel on every free kick and corner to ensure we deliver to the right areas and attack the ball with menace.

Under (coach) Leo Beenhaker, we defended deep in numbers but, whenever we won a free kick, everyone went up and we threw the kitchen sink at them because Chris Birchall could also deliver a pin point cross. We have definitely lost a lot of our spirit since 2006.

On Saturday, Marvin Phillip gave a tremendous performance but not even three world class saves in the opening 45 minutes or a second half penalty save was enough to stop the inevitable.

Marvin has consistently performed well for W. Connection and has not let the national team down whenever he played. Considering the poor performances from Clayton Ince throughout the World Cup campaign, Marvin may feel let down by the selection committee. His performance against Costa Rica was certainly worthy of a prolonged stint.

Having said that, Marvin has been criticised in the past for his inability to judge the flight of crosses and I think he could have done better on their goal off the corner kick. For me, this is a result of the tactics applied by W Connection who defend very deep and require their goalkeeper for shot stopping only.

Without Marvin, we might have lost 8-0. Our back four was clueless and disorganised.  After playing for the only team in Egypt using a back three formation at the Under-20 World Cup and then being thrown into such a badly organised national senior team, I wonder what Jake Thomson is thinking of the Trinidad and Tobago coaches.

Jake was clearly overwhelmed in this game but there was not enough support from Radanfah Abu Bakr or Carlos Edwards and, in my opinion, he showed great character to hang in there and do his best. Tenacious in the tackle and with a great attitude, Jake was the only other plus for me on the night and, with a solid structure, shape and much needed coaching, this kid will be a firm fixture in the T&T senior team for many years to come.

So big thanks to Stern John for recognising a great opportunity for Jake Thompson and for T&T. Good footballers recognise good footballers and Stern has found T&T’s right full back for years to come.

Jake and Marvin apart, T&T looked clueless. I couldn’t see our plan in defence nor could I recognize how we intended to keep the ball and carve out attacks. The team essentially played as individuals and more than half the team was not good enough for this level, which is sad when there are better players out there to select from.

Bakr and Julius James lacked pace and intelligence in central defence and kept repeatedly falling for the same tricks while Carlos Edwards did not produce one final pass, cross or shot of note—shocking from such a high profile player—and Kerry Baptiste was a non entity.

Kenwyne Jones was isolated again and must be frustrated by the poor service he receives. He also looked as though he did not clearly know his role in the team. Jones is a very good player but he needs support on and off the field from his team mates and coaching staff.

We need concentration, desire and encouragement from the bench today to end our World Cup campaign on a good note. Let us at least make Mexico work for it!

Editor’s Note: Terry Fenwick is a senior World Cup quarter-finalist and European Under-21 champion for England while he also captained Crystal Palace, Queen’s Park Rangers and Tottenham Hotspur in English top flight football.

He coached Portsmouth between 1995 and 1998 while he led San Juan Jabloteh to three Pro League titles and numerous Cup crowns and is a former local Coach of the Year.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:59:25 PM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors must lift intensity
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »
tnt.times
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick: Warriors must lift intensity.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »
Glad to see Terry still in T&T.

Ah going and vibes that site now...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »
Warriors must lift intensity.
By: Terry Fenwick (tnttimes.com)

Jake and Marvin apart, T&T looked clueless. I couldn’t see our plan in defence nor could I recognize how we intended to keep the ball and carve out attacks. The team essentially played as individuals and more than half the team was not good enough for this level, which is sad when there are better players out there to select from.

Bakr and Julius James lacked pace and intelligence in central defence and kept repeatedly falling for the same tricks while Carlos Edwards did not produce one final pass, cross or shot of note—shocking from such a high profile player—and Kerry Baptiste was a non entity.

Editor’s Note: Terry Fenwick is a senior World Cup quarter-finalist and European Under-21 champion for England while he also captained Crystal Palace, Queen’s Park Rangers and Tottenham Hotspur in English top flight football.

He coached Portsmouth between 1995 and 1998 while he led San Juan Jabloteh to three Pro League titles and numerous Cup crowns and is a former local Coach of the Year.

So Latas, did you read this man's commentary about some of the players you picked to play in a game of the magnitude against Costa Rica the other night?. Forget that he had a confrontation with "d Technician", Mr. Phillips, forget that Michael "Macomere" McComie didn't like him and even some of you on this Forum despise this man, forget that his team lost against Maradona and Argentina. This man is a winner here in Trinidad and Tobago and that you cannot deny. I am not a coach of Latas' pedigree or a football player of Latas' skill and experience, but even I know that the people you pick for your football team to play any and every position on a football field must have a particular level of intelligence and technical ability to be able to read a game and perform with a level of professionalism and skill, effectively. Physical and technical preparation alone is not sufficient, the players as well as the coaching staff have to be prepared mentally and educationally, that means studying the players on the other team and preparing everyone for a game plan before everyone goes into battle on the playing field.

Your defensive players must be football intelligent and be able to read a football game to the very end barring fatigue and injury. They should be fleet of foot and well rested so that they don't fall asleep during the game. See Abu Bakr vs Costa Rica.

You must, and I cannot stress enough, have midfielders that have the intelligence to read a game from beginning to end, they must have skills, talent, and the uncanny vision and ability to create plays and situations that no one else sees before it develops that not even the fans watching the game sees. When somebody picks players from Trinidad and Tobago to join the men's senior national team with that skill level to join the battle, then and only then, will TnT have happy strikers that don't have to run the whole length of the pitch just to stay in the game. A happy striker is a striker that scores. Then and only then will the great fans of the Soca Warriors see a team that is professionally, technically, tactically, strategically, fit and ready to take on this region and possibly the rest of the world.

Last but not least, the coaching staff must have a game plan stacked with strategies and tactics for every situation that presents itself out on the battlefield. Corners, set plays, penalties, a goal or two down, 10 vs 11 situations. See Julius James vs Costa Rica. Everyone has to be on the same sheet of music, that includes the TTFF as well minus Jack Warner. The TTFF don't need someone to advise them on what they should already know to do. If they don't know what to do then step aside and let someone else who knows what to do, do it. No Corporation, Organization, Company, or band will continue to pay an individual millions of dollars who is incapable of doing his or her job.  

Tonight's game versus Mexico, the question for me is how much is TnT going to lose by. If it's true that your midfield is the brains of your team then TnT is definitely brain dead unless Latapy puts a midfield in place for tonight's game that has the skills and vision to match Mexico, until then who knows how much TnT is going to lose by. Watch and see.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 08:23:58 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »
Like fenwick lobbying for ah job as head coach! no mo locals pleas, and that includes fenwick and vranes. ah cyar deal wid the curry favoring and not picking the right players.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline julie_mango

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »
Latas take too long to bench Jones and start Baptiste, and get the defense settled, dat doh wuk in CONCACAF, I would not mind seeng Fenwick given a chance....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »
Latas take too long to bench Jones and start Baptiste, and get the defense settled, dat doh wuk in CONCACAF, I would not mind seeng Fenwick given a chance....
Yuh mad!! i want ah WHITE MAN FROM EUROPE AS COACH, ONE WHO DOH KNOW WHERE tnt IZ!
I have ah strong suspicion that MR FENWICK would pick mostly jabloteh players! and i cyar deal wid dat for another 4 yrs, we need an unattached coach who don't know our players, just like beenhakker!! and no local assistant coach either!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:33:52 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »
Latas take too long to bench Jones and start Baptiste
He benched Jones to start Jorsling who did nothing. Baptiste started the last game too.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
Yuh mad!! i want ah WHITE MAN FROM EUROPE AS COACH, ONE WHO DOH KNOW WHERE tnt IZ!
I have ah strong suspicion that MR FENWICK would pick mostly jabloteh players! and i cyar deal wid dat for another 4 yrs, we need an unattached  coach who don't know our players, just like beenhakker!! and no local assistant coach either!
Cornmeal will ALWAYS be part of the equation
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »
He benched Jones to start Jorsling who did nothing. Baptiste started the last game too.

Nobody never tell yuh Bitch Slappin not allowed on de site?  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline julie_mango

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
It's obvious there is no chemistry between Jones and Baptiste.  Jones needs to be benched for Baptiste to shine.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
It's obvious there is no chemistry between Jones and Baptiste.  Jones needs to be benched for Baptiste to shine.
Jones need to be benched for fight-down men to glisten.

Offline julie_mango

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »
So you prefer a white man from Europe to a white European living in TnT, padnah, yuh need help, and BTW, phu*ue Beenhakker, he keep Latas on de bench with 20 mins to go when we were down 1-0 to Hengland in de WC, I guess his thought was no way we could beat or tie the mighty White Man country of England, why would you want that joker as coach again?  He couldn't survive two years as coach in Poland.

I have ah strong suspicion that MR FENWICK would pick mostly jabloteh players! and i cyar deal wid dat for another 4 yrs, we need an unattached coach who don't know our players, just like beenhakker!! and no local assistant coach either!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:13 PM »
Fenwick boss as usual... would love to see him get de reins  :beermug:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 03:59:05 AM »
So you prefer a white man from Europe to a white European living in TnT, padnah, yuh need help, and BTW, phu*ue Beenhakker, he keep Latas on de bench with 20 mins to go when we were down 1-0 to Hengland in de WC, I guess his thought was no way we could beat or tie the mighty White Man country of England, why would you want that joker as coach again?  He couldn't survive two years as coach in Poland.

Beenhakker better than any coach who ever braced our shores! and even if he made ah mistake by not playing latapy, fact remains that he's one of the best things that ever happened to TNT football, and that will go down in history, AND YUH CAN'T CHANGE THAT!!!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 06:28:31 AM »

Hmm...prophet. The man score 2 goals with KJ on d bench.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kingdavid

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 08:41:23 AM »
Fenwick boss as usual... would love to see him get de reins  :beermug:

cosign

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »

Why you have to disrespect the man's race ?

Fenwick would make a great T&T coach.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »

Until he actually get de job....den he start to lorse...and den people go bawl how he is a shithong who never coach anybody good in he life, get run outta england and had to beg fuh wuk in de caribbean, while conveniently forgettin he was de saviour dey was callin for in de fuss place.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

Until he actually get de job....den he start to lorse...and den people go bawl how he is a shithong who never coach anybody good in he life, get run outta england and had to beg fuh wuk in de caribbean, while conveniently forgettin he was de saviour dey was callin for in de fuss place.

A la Latapy?  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
I wish latas invited terry to work with him and the technical staff

terry's been there, epl, fa cup, local league master, world cup he's pretty much seen it all as with latas and dwight and dog passing on thier knowledge in training (NOT on the field)

thank god by the next rounds we can pull the bright sparks from the U20 and the rest of the foregin trinis, local league players proving themselves consistently and other players in Uni's around the world (although its better if trinis were in academys of clubs around the world)

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »

England didn't score on us till the 83rd minute of that game. I not sure what kinda maths u workin with there.

And whether or not you agree with his use (or lack thereof) of Latapy in the WC, he is the ONLY coach who has ever taken us there. And he's the joker?
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 12:03:45 PM »
People does talk Shyte bout Fenwick...but the man doh stand fuh crap and it showed when he was at Jabloteh...Look at them now...He will neva get ah chance with the National Team because of JW but with what he has shown in his time in Trini I would take him over Latas now...I don't think he is ah curry favor type of man and the man seem to know about defending and discipline something we lack tremendously!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »
People does talk Shyte bout Fenwick...but the man doh stand fuh crap and it showed when he was at Jabloteh...Look at them now...

Yeah boy.  Look how dey make CONCACAF Champions League with a first time coach who never coach a lime when Trini Terry couldn't qualify dem.

And yuh right about not standin fuh crap.  If only other coaches around de world would follow his example and lick dung an opposin player when dey about to take a throwin, de game will be so much better off.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Terry is top class...he transformed a wild out of sorts Jabloteh into a structured organised and disciplined team...they had heart and they got results

If you read his article everything he said actually happened in the game

Ex 1) He said we had to work very hard off the ball and raise our intensity to beat the Mexicans and disrupt their possesion

We allowed them time on the ball resulting in the 2 goals conceded

Ex 2) He said Marvin sticks on his line and is hesitant to come out for cross balls

Marvin was equally at fault for the 2nd goal as he stood on his line when he should have clattered those Mexicans

Ex 3) Set Piece Service

Carlos delivers 1 in 10 good set plays... when they have guys like Noel who is a free kick specialist and can deliver a corner and a free kick into the mix much better than Los'

Things I didnt agree with... He said Ince had a poor campaign..Ince had 1 bad game and saved our asses in many games

Also he thinks Thomson is a RB...yes he could be developed into one but he looks more of a winger..he lacks agression and the mind set of a RB.

Everyone forgets that in the U20 WC we played a 3-5-2 which allows 1 of the 3 cbs..(the rcb) to cover in a RB position for about half the game...so in a traditional 4-4-2 Jake will get no cover and allow the defense to be breached

I say put Carlos as our RB and let Tinto/Thomson and Hector fight it out for both wing positions

Terry call the game before it play... Latas should have read this... maybe we would have been in the Cup if Terry was on the technical staff with top analysis such as this

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 01:42:53 PM »
Well said Small Mag! Terry would be a good candidate for T&T RIGHT NOW, I said as much on a sports programme several months ago, that he and/or Latas would be better off waitng until AFTER SA2010 qualifiers as Maturana left us in a very poor standing when he quit...he's also a coach that seems to be able to get YOUNG players to step up and that's EXACTLY what our Senior team needs NOW... a good short-term barometer would be to see Terry coach us in the Digicel Cup and a few Internaional friendlies, so we could see what hs "brand" would be.... imagine Terry as Coach and Birchall captaining the side.... talk about "WARRIORS"!!!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 02:01:58 PM »
Well said Small Mag! Terry would be a good candidate for T&T RIGHT NOW, I said as much on a sports programme several months ago, that he and/or Latas would be better off waitng until AFTER SA2010 qualifiers as Maturana left us in a very poor standing when he quit...he's also a coach that seems to be able to get YOUNG players to step up and that's EXACTLY what our Senior team needs NOW... a good short-term barometer would be to see Terry coach us in the Digicel Cup and a few Internaional friendlies, so we could see what hs "brand" would be.... imagine Terry as Coach and Birchall captaining the side.... talk about "WARRIORS"!!!

Patriot, I cyah believe is you talking dat rubbish. Not you, please.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »

Patriot, I cyah believe is you talking dat rubbish. Not you, please.

Everything he said was spot on...

Rubbish? man get out of here

I second that Patriot...Birchy captain for 2014

1]; } ?>