June 16, 2024, 08:05:22 PM

Author Topic: USA draws 2-2 with Costa Rica and tops Hexagonal  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USA draws 2-2 with Costa Rica and tops Hexagonal
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »

Bornstein's stoppage-time header gives U.S. draw against Costa Rica

American players wanted to win for Charlie. They didn't, but it sure felt like a victory when the United States scored with just seconds remaining in its final World Cup qualifier.

After Jonathan Bornstein's goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time gave the United States a 2-2 tie against Costa Rica on Wednesday night, players took a victory lap. They carried a banner with the No. 9, the jersey number of Charlie Davies, their teammate who is hospitalized with serious injuries from an automobile accident.

"We used Charlie's situation to motivate us," goalkeeper Tim Howard said. "We're happy he was alive, and that in itself gave us a lift. Charlie would give anything at this moment to put on a jersey and have it all back. You almost kind of feel lucky and privileged, and that was kind of motivation to us."

(continue)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:48:11 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA draws 2-2 with Costa Rica and tops Hexagonal
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:17:06 AM »
big f**kin team ..  good going usa I am happy Honduras qualify. I also hope CR win against Uruguay ,USA imight not have big names but they play discipline football.

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:35:54 AM »
actually that wasn't a very disciplined game the US played...CR decided to be more conservative from the 60 min onwards....in the first half they were schooling the US's backline everything was going through #11 and then because they had two goals they changed their game plan and that killed them.

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
actually that wasn't a very disciplined game the US played...CR decided to be more conservative from the 60 min onwards....in the first half they were schooling the US's backline everything was going through #11 and then because they had two goals they changed their game plan and that killed them.

Exactly.

CR had it going ... but decided to start playing anti-football.  Poor game management if you ask me.  Coaching.

We all know 2 nil is the most dangerous of leads ... one goal in respone changes the whole complexion of the game and plays on the psyche of the players.

Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
dey scored in the 95th minute. it showed dey did not gave up and played discipline enough to get the tie and push honduras into the world cup .
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:04:24 PM »
I would back Costa Rica over two legs against any S. American side, except Brazil. USA mighta have some issues cause they doh travel well traditionally (outside Concacaf). But Costa Rica will do well against Uruaguay. They will have a change in the rules for Brazil 2014 when them big side say "Concacaf and Conmebol have the same amount of qualifiers? That is unfair!" blah, blah, blah

Go Concacaf!!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
If Costa Rica plays the 1st leg away, they would have a better chance of qualifying! Go Ticos!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
I would back Costa Rica over two legs against any S. American side, except Brazil.

Argentina woulda beat that soundly...home and away, going and coming....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
I would back Costa Rica over two legs against any S. American side, except Brazil.

Argentina woulda beat that soundly...home and away, going and coming....

Traditionally yeah..but under Maradona? I doubt it will be clearcut. last night was the first away game they win under Maradona. U forget last time they had a playoff Australia nearly beat them and they had a real good side then too with Batigol and Redondo, i think.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »
If Costa Rica plays the 1st leg away, they would have a better chance of qualifying! Go Ticos!

Big Up!

They have to play the first leg w/o Simoes... suspended due to the red card last night.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »
blasted americans, always tiefing somebody shine.  8)
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »

Big Up!

They have to play the first leg w/o Simoes... suspended due to the red card last night.

Even more reason for them to play the away game first...but I guess the choice is not theirs...anyone know who/how this is determine?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

Even more reason for them to play the away game first...but I guess the choice is not theirs...anyone know who/how this is determine?

FIFA held a draw back in June:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=1065516.html#intercontinental+play+dates+confirmed
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »
Final qualifier far from meaningless

This was supposed to be a news-free visit to the nation's capital for the U.S. national team. The Yanks had already clinched a World Cup berth on Saturday. Their final qualifier here on Wednesday against Costa Rica was going to be "meaningless."

Try telling that to the U.S. players, who celebrated their dramatic come-from-behind 2-2 tie (RECAP) with an emotional tribute to forward Charlie Davies, who was seriously injured in an auto accident on Tuesday. Try telling that to the U.S. fans, who honored the No. 9-wearing Davies by standing, cheering and setting off red-white-and-blue smoke bombs during the game's ninth minute.

(continue)
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »

Because they were outplayed doesn't mean they didn't play with discipline... the fact that they were scrapping 4 mins into stoppage (when they had already qualified), playing a man down the last 15 mins of the game and pulling off a draw... that is testament to overall coaching and team discipline in executing the orders of that staff.

Or yuh could just chalk it up luck, right?

Big Up!

You sure about that... if you had to hedge your bets where would you prefer to have your master tactician (ascribing the success of their revival to Simoes that is) with you... at home in the comfy confines, or on the road against a quality team in hostile territory?

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »

Because they were outplayed doesn't mean they didn't play with discipline... the fact that they were scrapping 4 mins into stoppage (when they had already qualified), playing a man down the last 15 mins of the game and pulling off a draw... that is testament to overall coaching and team discipline in executing the orders of that staff.

Or yuh could just chalk it up luck, right?

Big Up!

You sure about that... if you had to hedge your bets where would you prefer to have your master tactician (ascribing the success of their revival to Simoes that is) with you... at home in the comfy confines, or on the road against a quality team in hostile territory?

I just think that their chances of winning in Uruguay, even with Simoes is pretty slim. So playing without him in Uruguay may not hurt them as much as it may playing without him at home.

Anyway this a moot point because they are hosting the 1st leg...do you think they would miss Simoes then or they can pull of a win without their coach?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
I can't tell for sure where the first leg will be hosted... but hard to say how much of a factor Simoes absence would be.  I kinda tend to buy into the notion that he was responsible for their turnaround.  Whether his presence is absolutely critical to them playing on a high level remains to be seen.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »
Right now, I don't think CR should worry about not playing at home without Simoes. The fact that they will be at home is enough incentive. The biggest factor is if CR can get over the shock of the last minute equalizer which knock them down to 4th place. They should be glad. We envy them. At least they still have another 2 days to live their dreams. We have 4 or maybe 8 yrs, who knows.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:41 AM »
I can't tell for sure where the first leg will be hosted...

First leg is in Costa Rica on Nov. 14th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(Inter-confederation_Playoffs)#CONCACAF_4th_place_v_CONMEBOL_5th_place

CR may be missing Simoes for that game, but one big advantage they have is the crappy artificial turf in their stadium. Let's see how much the Uruguayans like playing on that surface.
- Xavi

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 06:28:48 AM »
The coaches impact on the bench once a game starts is minimal, most coaches sit up in the stands until the half. Others shout and carry on but no one can hear a dam thing. Even on the field its hard to hear each other.
I sure he will be able to communicate with the bench & address the team at half time.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 09:09:02 AM »
Allyuh men really think that any team in concacaf really stand a chance against a Uruguay that thirsty for a World Cup (especially after they were edged out by Australia in this same playoff last time around) much less a third to fourth place concacaf team?  Allyuh good oui! Costa Rica ONLY chance to go to South Africa as of kickoff time last Wednesday was to beat usa.  Once that opportunity was lost, it was all over.  Uruguay carrying over that ".5" spot to conmebol side of the decimal point.  Talk done!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>