April 18, 2024, 10:54:55 PM

Author Topic: USA beats Honduras and heads to South Africa 2010  (Read 4942 times)

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA beats Honduras and heads to South Africa 2010
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
Donovan..... best player in concacaf...! :beermug:

agreed... and arguably one of the current top 3 strikers on the international stage.

If he so good how come none ah dem top tier European teams eh sign him yet...
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 02:23:57 AM »
No one is contesting that the size of the talent pool plays a factor, but what I find astounding is rather than give the US credit where credit is due, men like you just like to toss about that population statistic as though size is a guarantor of success, rather than one of several factors.  Of that 300 million, how many people play football in the US?  How many play it beyond grade school?  How many play it in college?

Those are the meaningful statistics in this discussion... and if you examine them I think you'll find that the US' population size isn't nearly the advantange as you think it to be.

Well stated.

We are overachievers.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 07:04:21 AM »
No one is contesting that the size of the talent pool plays a factor, but what I find astounding is rather than give the US credit where credit is due, men like you just like to toss about that population statistic as though size is a guarantor of success, rather than one of several factors.  Of that 300 million, how many people play football in the US?  How many play it beyond grade school?  How many play it in college?

Those are the meaningful statistics in this discussion... and if you examine them I think you'll find that the US' population size isn't nearly the advantange as you think it to be.

Well stated.

We are overachievers.

LOL...See why it eh good to enable Zeppo and his ilk? Give them an inch and they take ah MILE!

It have more people playing "sahker" in the US than the population of Italy. Overachievers my big toe. Allyuh been underachieving since the first time allyuh make WC back in the 1930's or whenever.

I have news for you Zero Zeppo (sorry my mistake), by that logic...WE, YES WE, are the real overachievers here, and have been doing so for decades. Could you imagine if we finally decided to take the damn sport seriously? You better beware ZEPPO, there are ominous signs of that.
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »
Well stated.

We are overachievers.

To an extent... Alan Rothenberg had a vision and he saw it thru to reality, but at the same time the power of his reach and influence was such that he could herd the right amount of cats (including an NFL man like Lamar Hunt) and marshal enoug support for the sport to seed it, nurture it and watch it grow.  He applied a business model to it's development and by the time he left it started to yield results, culminating in the US hosting the '94 Cup.  A bit simplistic to give too much credit to him, but the strength of the US' success isn't in "overachieving" but rather in being able to tap into the wealth that's floating around the US.  Getting the right corporate partners on board and having a strategy for efficient development both in coaching and playing ability gave it an edge that many poorer nations lack. 

The US is doing well on a mediocre stage but is  hardly the giant-killers the program fancies itself to be.  The Confederations Cup is it's best showing in 7 yrs... two momentary flashes of brilliance in nearly a hundred-year history is hardly the stuff of "overachievement".  Arguably a country with much less resources (human and capital) like TnT reaching the WC finals is a much greater achievement.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:14:13 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
This U.S. squad made hard (relatively) work of qualifying this time around.  By their standards they, struggled on the road. (Barely salvaged a draw against ELS, got hammered by CR, lost to Mexico, and scraped wins in TT & Hon).   

One thing they seem to have going for them is the ability to play up (and I guess down) to their opposition. 

Nevertheless, Congrats USA- good luck in S.A.!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »

agreed... and arguably one of the current top 3 strikers on the international stage.

Well he eh better than: Torres, Drogba, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Luis Fabiano or even Swan dive boy, cronaldo or even Pato, for that matter.  So that take him waaaaaaaay out of the "argument" range to be in the top 3 in the world.

When I say "International Stage" I mean in FIFA and CONCACAF competition, not club ball. As much as I love to hate on Donovan, I have to admit that he has been killing it for the red white and blue this year.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »
1-0 Costa Rica in the 21'

Conor Casey inevitably will get exposed on this level... throw 'way a sitter after Jozy set the table for him nicely in a 1 v. 1 with the keeper... spooning the ball high and wide.

------------

oops... as I type Brian Ruiz just rock de 'vee' for his second of the match

2-0 Costa Rica in the 25'.

Hard luck dey Honduras...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
1-0 Costa Rica in the 21'

Conor Casey inevitably will get exposed on this level... throw 'way a sitter after Jozy set the table for him nicely in a 1 v. 1 with the keeper... spooning the ball high and wide.

------------

oops... as I type Brian Ruiz just rock de 'vee' for his second of the match

2-0 Costa Rica in the 25'.

Hard luck dey Honduras...

Ruiz with two magic goals. First goal he just leave out Onyewu like he is Cipriani statue and tuck it away. Goal two he lick way the jep ness.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
Onyewu get exposed dey real bad... yet some ah deez jackass Americans complaining how is anti-Yank bias why he not getting run at Milan.

Poor Howard block, he cuff, he save, he pelt he frame... still end up getting sex den string up.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
Jozy Altidore has been impressive except for not fnishing.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
More poison fuh de US... Onyewu tear he patella tendon and likely out 3-4 months.

WASHINGTON -- U.S. defender Oguchi Onyewu tore a tendon in his left knee during Wednesday night's World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica, an injury that usually requires a recovery time of three-to-four months.

The AC Milan defender fell down on the slick turf of RFK Stadium during the 83rd minute of the 2-2 draw and left the field on a stretcher.

Onyewu's injury came a day after teammate Charlie Davies was seriously injured in a car crash. Davies is unlikely to play in next year's World Cup.

"We've had two days of tough news," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "Gooch has been a such an important part of our team."

Onyewu was diagnosed with a torn patellar tendon. However, Bradley expressed confidence he would recover in time for the World Cup.

"He's young, he's healthy, our doctors are good," Bradley said. "He's someone that we're sure is going to get back and be ready to go."

A six-foot-four defender from Olney, Md., Onyewu left Belgium's Standard Liege after last season and signed a three-year contract in July with AC Milan.

The 27-year-old has appeared in just one of the club's 10 competitive matches this season, making his official debut as a 60th-minute substitute in the 1-0 Champions League loss to Zurich on Sept. 30.

Because the U.S. had used its three substitutes, Onyewu could not be replaced after the injury. Still, the United States gained the draw when Jonathan Bornstein headed in a corner kick in the fifth minute of stopped time.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=294882

WASHINGTON -- Three thoughts after the U.S.' 2-2 tie with Costa Rica in the final Hexagonal game of World Cup qualifying:

• The U.S. does not know how to give up. Down 2-0 midway through the second half, the Americans scored twice in the final 23 minutes, capped by Jonathan Bornstein's stunning 95th-minute header, to secure a remarkable tie. The comeback forced Costa Rica into a playoff with Uruguay next month and catapulted Honduras (a 1-0 winner at El Salvador) into its first World Cup since 1982. In a week when the U.S. was shocked by the tragic auto accident involving forward Charlie Davies, this was only a sporting moment. But it was a special one which called to mind the U.S.' amazing comeback against Egypt in June's Confederations Cup. If the U.S. is to go on a deep run in South Africa next year, it will need to continue having this kind of never-quit attitude, which is infectious.

• René Simões went mental. I was just about ready to hail Costa Rica's new Brazilian coach for being the Ticos' Mr. Fix-It when he lost his mind in the final minutes, complaining to the fourth official and drawing a red card. Simões' antics mean that he'll be suspended for Costa Rica's first playoff game against Uruguay next month. If you're a Costa Rica fan right now, you have to be upset over how your team went from first place to fourth in only four games.

• Oguchi Onyewu's injury looked scary. The hulking U.S. defender left the field after going down with an alarming non-contact injury in the 83rd minute. We'll have to wait for a postgame injury report, but Gooch was extremely agitated on the field after falling down awkwardly in the Costa Rica box going up for a header.

What are your thoughts after the game? Please post them below, and check back later for a post-interviews piece.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/grant_wahl

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 06:31:15 AM »
More poison fuh de US... Onyewu tear he patella tendon and likely out 3-4 months.

Not really. He going to recover by March and have two-three months before the World Cup to come back fresh. Plus, u didn't hear Becks say that the Milan is perform medical miracles that allow players like Cafu and Maldini to play til 40? This not affectiing the US chances at all.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
More hard luck fuh de US (tuh go with de Charlie Davies injury)... Onyewu tear he patella tendon and likely out 3-4 months.

Not really. He going to recover by March and have two-three months before the World Cup to come back fresh. Plus, u didn't hear Becks say that the Milan is perform medical miracles that allow players like Cafu and Maldini to play til 40? This not affectiing the US chances at all.

jeezus crise... okay fella, ah change it fuh yuh  :beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »

Well he eh better than: Torres, Drogba, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Luis Fabiano or even Swan dive boy, cronaldo or even Pato, for that matter.  So that take him waaaaaaaay out of the "argument" range to be in the top 3 in the world.

When I say "International Stage" I mean in FIFA and CONCACAF competition, not club ball. As much as I love to hate on Donovan, I have to admit that he has been killing it for the red white and blue this year.

Yeah but #4.....yuh really talkin #2 dey yuh know....landon donovan could never compare to them forwards I mentioned whether yuh talkin' 'bout club or concacaf or fifa competitions.   No way, padnah, check again.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>