April 19, 2024, 05:00:44 PM

Author Topic: Latapy wants to continue coaching ‘Soca Warriors’  (Read 9763 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy wants to continue coaching ‘Soca Warriors’
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:37:06 AM »
Latapy wants to continue coaching ‘Soca Warriors’
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

RUSSELL LATAPY has indicated his desire to continue with his role as coach of the Trinidad and Tobago football team. The former national captain and midfield ace made this revelation on Wednesday night, after the TT team held Mexico to a 2-2 draw, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, in their final game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Zone Final Round Qualifiers. “The first thing we (himself and assistant coach Dwight Yorke) need to do is sit down and analyse the campaign, see what (are) the positive points and the negative points,” Latapy said.

“We have to try to correct the negatives and make a report to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), hopefully sit down with them and see where we go from here. As everybody knows, my contract is up at the end of the month,’ he confessed. “It will be a situation where I’ll have to sit down with the (TTFF) and see what they say about maintaining me as the coach. As far as I’m concerned, I’ve been honoured and privileged to be the coach of the national team and I would really like to continue.”

Latapy replaced Colombian-born Francisco Maturana in April but could not prevent the aging Trinidad and Tobago team from facing elimination in the 2010 World Cup campaign.

Taking over the helm of the team with only minimal coaching experience – he served as a player/assistant coach at both Falkirk, in the Scottish Premier League, and Trinidad and Tobago – Latapy’s results have been poor, with only one win (El Salvador) and a draw (Mexico) compared to five defeats (Costa Rica twice, Honduras, United States and Mexico) in the last seven qualifying contests.

“I got the team at a very difficult stage,” he noted. “We had a lot of players at a certain age, they were going out of the national team and (this) was their last attempt, at this level really. We have to try and bring new players in and we have to rebuild,” admitted Latapy, who was dubbed the “Little Magician”.

“I’ve been happy with the way that process has gone and, so far, in the five to six months that I’ve been (in charge), we’ve tried to give a lot of young players the opportunity,” he stated. “I think a lot of them have performed with distinction and I’m happy with that.” He is hopeful that the youthful policy will continue for the next qualifying campaign – the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

“We have to look forward to the next four years,” said Latapy. “A lot of the senior players who are with the team right now, in four years, they’ll be way above 30 or the middle 30s. “So what we need to do is build and get some of the younger players on board,” he added. “Players who are this particular time are 20-23 years old will be at the right age for the next campaign.” When asked about the national Under-20 team, who participated at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, and their future with the national “senior” squad, the former Porto and Falkirk midfielder replied, “players at that age, they’ve got at least 10 years of professional football ahead of them. “Hopefully these players can go back to their clubs and gain experience, and learn the tricks of the trade,” added Latapy.

“I don’t particularly like singling out players in public. “My philosophy is that we win as a team and lose as a team. We win as a nation and lose as a nation.” Concerning Wednesday night’s game, Latapy said, “I thought a lot of our fans missed a good game of football. “Obviously we understand, it was a difficult situation, seeing that we did not qualify and both teams were basically playing (for pride),” he added. “Mexico had already qualified and we didn’t. “Therefore, that made for a good game of football and I’m really proud of the way that some of the young players took the opportunity to perform (on the) night.”

He was pleased with the response of the team, following their 4-0 hammering by Costa Rica on October 10. “I think that is a question of every game a player plays, with a national team shirt, they try to do their best,” commented Latapy. “Unfortunately, in football, there is no guarantee. “The only thing that I’ve always asked the players to do is work as hard as they can,” he continued. “I think they’ve done that in all of their games.”

Referring to the new faces he introduced (national Under-20 defenders Jake Thomson and Robert Primus) as well as the recalled Kerry Baptiste, Devon Jorsling, Marvin Phillip, Kern Cupid and Julius James, he pointed out, “I think, for example, in the Costa Rica game, there was (noticeably) a lack of experience and exposure at this level, and individual mistakes, which we cannot legislate for. “In my time with the team, I’m really proud of the players and the effort that they (showed).”

Baptiste, who netted both goals for Trinidad and Tobago against the Mexicans, admitted that he was glad to make full use of his selection on Wednesday. “I’ve been working hard, both on and off the field, and every time I get the opportunity to play, I just want to show that it has pride in wearing the red, white and black t-shirt,” said the 27-year-old, who took over the role as striker (from his regular midfield role) and captain of his club Joe Public this year. “Every time I get on the pitch, I always try to work hard because, as a striker, your job is to put the ball in the back of the net,” he continued. “Every time I get the opportunity to play, I’ll make use of it.”

Commenting on his performance, he stated, “goals win matches and, quite frankly, to be honest, I really missed some opportunities (on the) night and you can say I got five chances and I put away two.”
spacer
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Latapy wants to continue coaching ‘Soca Warriors’
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:00:42 AM »
“I don’t particularly like singling out players in public. “My philosophy is that we win as a team and lose as a team. We win as a nation and lose as a nation.” Concerning Wednesday night’s game, Latapy said, “I thought a lot of our fans missed a good game of football. “Obviously we understand, it was a difficult situation, seeing that we did not qualify and both teams were basically playing (for pride),” he added. “Mexico had already qualified and we didn’t. “Therefore, that made for a good game of football and I’m really proud of the way that some of the young players took the opportunity to perform (on the) night.”

The federation charged the same $200 for a mid-month ,mid week game that meant nothing. Is right through you will dig out meh eye. Looked like some football for real but I make a lil grocery last night with that money.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »

The federation charged the same $200 for a mid-month ,mid week game that meant nothing. Is right through you will dig out meh eye. Looked like some football for real but I make a lil grocery last night with that money.

COSIGNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 03:44:34 PM »
Nah latas! i cyar take another 3yrs of this, yuh have tuh ride out and let ah fella who could develop the yutes take the reins. thanx for the enthusiasm, but no thanx!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
Latas, we need you. You are defnitely a very precious talent with vision, character, integrity, courage, fairness who commands respect and is a true son of the soil who has no prejudices. Please stay and understand that the people who appeciate you FAR outnumber the jokers who want to call you shittong.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:28:37 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
I rather someone who have a history and experience with grooming a team.  Let latas experiment and learn with some other team. not the national team

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »
I rather someone who have a history and experience with grooming a team.  Let latas experiment and learn with some other team. not the national team

COSIGN
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »
I hear a talk Vranes getting the wuk.  :whistling:

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »

Like the Corneals.  :devil:
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »
I hear a talk Vranes getting the wuk.  :whistling:

Will not b shock leh meh check meh sources and c if yuh on like born corn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:32:36 PM »
Latas need some more coaching experience, Reminds me of Maradona and Argentina!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
Latas, we need you. You are defnitely a very precious talent with vision, character, integrity, courage, fairness who commands respect and is a true son of the soil who has no prejudices. Please stay and understand that the people who appeciate you FAR outnumber the jokers who want to call you shittong.
Dreamer, i wouldn't mind seeing latas coach the under 20ies or 17, but the senior team needs ah big coach. let him work wid the yutes.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
I highly doubt that TNT will get "the coach everyone wants" Makes me sad to say this but "budget" is something that has troubled the development of tnt teams.

Some of the players we saw in this WCQ were clearly not giving 100% or have fitness issues, who is responsible for picking the correct players? ANS: The Coach. I was shocked to see some good defenders that has proved solid at the back not feature in WCQ for TNT, won't call any names but hint: US League players.

TNT have not shown any authority in the game the last ten attempts. Coach introduced a defender against Costa Rica(away) to secure a 4-0 scoreline, 70 minutes into the game and for the first time ever TNT conceded three goals in less than 15 minutes.

Nerve wrecking win against ES at home?

I will not bash Latas anymore, it is clear he did bring a little heart into this team but not when it mattered, he will be respected by me eternally for his contribution as an entertaining player to watch.

It is obvious that we prob. cant afford anyone good so Latas get more time or Vranes or whoever to start the tnt cycle of waiting till last minute/scramble to prepare and fail graciously/get lucky.
Problem with Vranes is he likes to play pretty football to much, he needs to teach how to play ugly like usa does sometime and Germany.  Teams like USA grinds out results when it's tough, that should be us, we have more play for than them, they don't even care about soccer, i live here in usa and we get STOMPED by them every single time THAT IT COUNTS ... omfg

My pick for Coach: Guus. or anyone from Holland, it matches our style or German one for defensive more organized  structured team. If we could find ah South American coach that speak or could learn english... would be nice

Real question is: Which coach wants to risk their reputation representing some of the players....
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:02:02 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »
Latas i am not too optimistic about your chances boss, i'll always wish you the best.  I would probably give you one more year.  Hopefully i am wrong but thinking 2 weeks and yuh gone.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 07:39:19 PM »

Like the Corneals.  :devil:

"Good Point" Tdot.... lemme help out Babalawo here:-

"I rather someone who have a history and experience with grooming a WINNING team.  Let latas experiment and learn with some other team. not the national team"... that ONE word immediately ELIMINATES the Corneals  :devil:

Also support the idea of a Dutch Coach, preferably with World Cup experience, as we want to not JUST QUALIFY for Brazil, but COMPETE with other teams there and WIN.

LAtas, THANKS, I know you did your best, but honestly it's just NOT good enough, I STILL love and respect you as one of our most entertaining players EVER, and certainly of MY generation! Best of Luck in gaining the necessary EXPERIENCE and one day coming back to take the helm from the start of a campaign... but not THIS one.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »
Vranes wouldn't be a surprise but right now it doh matter who is de coach because jack run things unless it is someone like beenhakker who do things his way and tell jack go f*#k himself.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:46:04 PM »
Latas have 2-3 years to improve, he probably can come better by then. he will have to get a team and play many internationals though.

Good Luck.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 12:03:59 AM »
Let Latas go and coach the women's team  :devil:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »
Fellas, I am prepared to give Latas until the Caribbean Cup next year to see a marked improvement and take it from there.

If he could win the Caribbean Cup and we look organise with the best availble players being selected for the right positions then he can get my vote to continue as head senior caoch into the 2014 qualification campaign.

But as a man say Latas needs plenty plenty international games to gain more experience and improve and if he cyah demand and get at least one decent friendly per month between now and the Caribbean Cup then we'll have to say Latas you are not up to this job but you can go coach another T&T team like the U-20's or U-17's to gain more experience.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »
SP, let latas go and coach the under whatever, but i don't want him near the senior team!!! the man had 7 games in the hex, win one @ home against the easiest of all the hex opponents by the slimest of margins in ah nail bitter where ince deliver the saves of his life, draw one against ah weakened already qualified mexico, and lose 5 games, 4 in dispicable fashion @ dat, wid not even ah away draw. the man record stinks! what more time he need for you tuh see dat??!!

latapy blank too many good players, fellas who coulda make ah differace in the overall team's performance, and without any explainations.

julius james just got ah bligh on the last game and dis fella was on TV every week, hyland, well i doh know why he blank him, whitley, there's no way clyd leon should be sweating over aurtis! latas was on ah trip, so he could just continue on that trip without the senior team! we doh need no mo local coaches!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »
Latas have 2-3 years to improve, he probably can come better by then. he will have to get a team and play many internationals though.

Good Luck.

let latapy improve some where else !!!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »
Which coach ....

1. is going to be concerned about a development plan instead of quick fix qualification where all the glory is.
2. is not corrupted by the blacklist politics and not beholden to the poisonous manipulations of Jackula.
3. is going to fairly get the right balance of local vs foreign-based without close-minded favour.
4. is going to care enough about trini.
5. is going to be affordable for stingy Jackula, when there are no big cups for which to compete.
6. is going to get the respect of the players.
7. will not need several months to scout all our talent all over again causing more wasteful disruption.
8. will bring back some attacking flair to the team.
9. will stay for 4 years with little chance for glory moments to boost his CV until the next cup challenge
10. will easily arrange friendles in Scotland and the UK and facilitate scouting of our players.
11. will get Yorkie to come and help out at the drop of a hat.
12. will recognize that good local players like Baptiste, Tinto, Toussaint could get a chance.
13. will get the crowds coming and the local businesses to invest in sponsorship and advertizing.

The answer is.....

Latas.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 12:31:19 PM by dreamer »
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
Which coach ....

1. is going to be concerned about a development plan instead of quick fix qualification where all the glory is.
2. is not corrupted by the blacklist politics and not beholden to the poisonous manipulations of Jackula.
3. is going to fairly get the right balance of local vs foreign-based without close-minded favour.
5. is going to be affordable for stingy Jackula, when there are no big cups for which to compete.
7. will not need several months to scout all our talent all over again causing more wasteful disruption.
9. will stay for 4 years with little chance for glory moments to boost his CV until the next cup challenge
10. will easily arrange friendles in Scotland and the UK and facilitate scouting of our players.
12. will recognize that good local players like Baptiste, Tinto, Toussaint could get a chance.
13. will get the crowds coming and the local businesses to invest in sponsorship and advertizing.

The answer is.....

Latas.

Latas is not a coach yet ! why not give him a chance to first qualify himself and gain some experience before you burden him with our great expectations ? if your child was in SEA class would you feel comfortable if the school administration brought in a teacher who never taught a SEA class or any other class for that matter ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »
Which coach ....

The answer is.....

Latas.

Latas is not a coach yet ! why not give him a chance to first qualify himself and gain some experience before you burden him with our great expectations ? if your child was in SEA class would you feel comfortable if the school administration brought in a teacher who never taught a SEA class or any other class for that matter ?

D SEA teacher must have had a 1st class. Who coach all yuh gettin 2 come 2 TNT now to take ovah d side? Doh say Fenick dat eh happenin. So is either Vranes or Latas. Accept it I have.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »
with de USD tanking is time to get

bruce arena

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 04:01:06 PM »
Latas need some more coaching experience, Reminds me of Maradona and Argentina!!!

At least he eh cuss way the media  ;D
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
Latapy arrived at a difficult time with no experience at international level,I feel he should be given at least the Caribbean championships and 4 or 5 friendlies with CONCACAF and South American teams.He should then be judged on those,if his losing record continues then we must change him for a foreigner.There would still be time to rebuild for 2014.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 07:31:13 PM »
Which coach ....

The answer is.....

Latas.

D SEA teacher must have had a 1st class. Who coach all yuh gettin 2 come 2 TNT now to take ovah d side? Doh say Fenick dat eh happenin. So is either Vranes or Latas. Accept it I have.

Ahem ...my goldfish bowl is a little bigger than that ...Vranes or Fenwick  really do not fit into what I have in mind. We must get out more ... we have to stop accepting and start demanding. If we expect to get up to where we want to be it wont happen by osmosis or diffusion.
We cant say we dont have the money as big money spending and paying out these days ...
I keep saying we need a developmental coach to get us on the right track ...latapy is not even a coach yet ...why we trying to make bread from biscuit crumbs ?
 Latapy was a good player and maybe he might make a good coach someday but he is way below a gally Cummings for example ...but dat is another story ..
but then again ..why we even discussing this when we know WHO the real problem is ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 09:19:36 PM »
Which coach ....

The answer is.....

Latas.

Ahem ...my goldfish bowl is a little bigger than that ...Vranes or Fenwick  really do not fit into what I have in mind. We must get out more ... we have to stop accepting and start demanding. If we expect to get up to where we want to be it wont happen by osmosis or diffusion.
We cant say we dont have the money as big money spending and paying out these days ...
I keep saying we need a developmental coach to get us on the right track ...latapy is not even a coach yet ...why we trying to make bread from biscuit crumbs ?
 Latapy was a good player and maybe he might make a good coach someday but he is way below a gally Cummings for example ...but dat is another story ..
but then again ..why we even discussing this when we know WHO the real problem is ?

Because of d problem is Latas or Vranes

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 02:56:31 AM »
Bring back Gally
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>