March 28, 2024, 04:18:29 AM

Author Topic: US$500,000 in the bag for T&T cricketers  (Read 983 times)

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
US$500,000 in the bag for T&T cricketers
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »

Tuesday October 20th, 2009
IPL Champions League
US$500,000 in the bag for T&T cricketers
Naz Yacoob
Published: 20 Oct 2009

T&T national cricketers, now enjoying a successful run in the IPL T20 Club Champions tournament in India, have been guaranteed US$500,000 by the organisers for reaching the semi-final stages of the competition. Teenager Adrian Barath cracked a marvellous half-century on debut as sensational T&T thumped the Eagles by 24 runs on Sunday and stormed into the Champions League Twenty20 semis as the top League A team. The local team, led by captain Daren Ganga have played unbeaten in the tournament, winning all four of their matches to date. They will play Cape Cobras in one of the semis on Thursday at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium in Hyderabad.

The winners in this inaugural tournament, which has attracted millions of viewers world-wide will take home a handsome US$2.5m, while the losing finalist will pocket US$1.3m. Teams which have placed from fifth to eighth will collect US$200,000, while the ninth to 12th place finishers will each receive US$100,000. Meanwhile, congratulatory messages continue to pour in for the well-displined and well-knitted T&T team. Leader of the Congress of the People, Winston Dookeran in a letter to skipper Ganga wrote that the team’s performance had caused a stir in T&T and across the Caribbean. “It is with great pride and joy within, that I congratulate you and your team on your outstanding victories thus far in the Indian Premier League’s (IPL) 20/Twenty Champions’ League. Your team’s performance has caused a stir in all of us here in T&T and I am certain, even across the entire West Indies.

“Mr Ganga, your team has beaten much vaunted opposition. “You have totally upset the apple cart in the process which is testament to your team’s unity, hard work and no doubt, your astute leadership. “We are so extremely proud of you. “So let me, on my own behalf and that of the Congress of the People and all of T&T congratulate you and your charges and assure you that we stand firmly behind you for the rest of the tournament. Your team has already put smiles on our faces and warmed our hearts—much needed in the midst of the troubling times our nation faces with crime and such like,” Dookeran stated. Meanwhile, West Indies manager Omar Khan told the Guardian yesterday the T&T team had really displayed an exceptional performance in this tournament.

“There is no question of the ability and talent that this team possess. And as my time as manager, I always instilled in them a high level of confidence and self-belief. More importantly, they have acquired a passion and pride to always do well and represent their country proudly,” Khan stated.

I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
Re: US$500,000 in the bag for T&T cricketers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
I want to tell all of you who have this idea that we are a small nation of only 1.3 million people that cannot produce world beaters, let this band of upstarts be your proof that we can beat anybody, IF, and that is a big "IF", we have the right people leading the way from every administration in our twin islands. From politicians, to sports administrators, to judges, to lawyers, to teachers, to principals, and most of all, parents. This team of cricketers from Trinidad and Tobago are showing the rest of the world what we can do as a people and they are doing it with talent, skills, an administration that cares about them and the game of cricket in Trinidad and Tobago, and most of all they are playing with PRIDE, they are not playing for PRIDE.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:10:02 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: US$500,000 in the bag for T&T cricketers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:43:35 AM »
I want to tell all of you who have this idea that we are a small nation of only 1.3 million people that cannot produce world beaters, let this band of upstarts be your proof that we can beat anybody, IF, and that is a big "IF", we have the right people leading the way from every administration in our twin islands. From politicians, to sports administrators, to judges, to lawyers, to teachers, to principals, and most of all, parents. This team of cricketers from Trinidad and Tobago are showing the rest of the world what we can do as a people and they are doing it with talent, skills, an administration that cares about them and the game of cricket in Trinidad and Tobago, and most of all they are playing with PRIDE, they are not playing for PRIDE.

:beermug:
whey boy!

1]; } ?>