March 28, 2024, 04:12:18 PM

Author Topic: Collin Samuel has star quality, says McInnes  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Collin Samuel has star quality, says McInnes
« on: October 21, 2009, 04:44:41 AM »
By Gordon Bannerman (Perthshire Advertiser)

SOCA Warrior Jason Scotland used St Johnstone as a stepping stone to the riches of the English Premiership.

And the Perth club will benefit if his international colleague Collin Samuel attracts interest from south of the border.

But yesterday, manager Derek McInnes stressed that the Caribbean players have contrasting styles.

But if he can keep Samuel fit, the former Dundee United and Toronto player will turn up the heat on SPL rivals as the season unfolds.

World Cup veteran Samuel would love to perform at the top level but that means scaling heights with Saints.

McInnes admits both Trinidad men have star quality but he said: “Jason will always score more goals but Sammy has pace that really unnerves defenders.

“The key is that he has to be in tip-top physical condition.

“Sammy is fit and we have to keep it that way.

“Then he can exploit the power and explosive pace that’s in his locker.

“He has done well against the Old Firm and that has been highlighted.

“But he has done well for us in other games. Maybe he keeps his best for the bigger games but Sammy has to work hard to reproduce that level of performance in every match.”

While Samuel was disappointed to be overlooked for the Trinidad and Tobago squad, McInnes revealed Saints seized the opportunity to work with him one-on-one over the last fortnight.

“We know how much he wants to represent his country and that can be great for the ego and confidence.

“But he scored at Turriff and the smile was back.

“The Rangers game was obviously on his mind. And he realised early on against Rangers that he had the beating of their centre halves.”

McInnes was refusing to be downcast despite another 90 minutes where the performance wasn’t matched by points.

He said: “The result, and I accept that is the most important thing, was the only disappointment.

There were so many positives and I believe we are improving in terms of performance against the better sides in the SPL. The effort, composure and threat was there.

“Maybe we could have reinforced our superiority before half-time. A two goal lead would not have given the wrong reflection of the first-half but we stopped making positive passes for a spell.

“Rangers’ first was scrappy and there was a foul on Steven Anderson.”

McInnes revealed that former Celtic, Kilmarnock and Scotland goalkeeper Gordon Marshall was coaching the Perth keepers once a week.

A highly regarded coach, he is involved with the Scotland U19 set-up and was with Hibs until the summer.

McInnes said: “Obviously this is a special position and without a shadow of a doubt Alan Main, Graeme Smith and Euan McLean will all benefit from Gordon’s input.

“It’s good to have him at the club. Gordon has a reputation as a top coach and a top guy. I had no hesitation in bringing him in when I heard there was a chance.”

Saints, who head to Kilmarnock this weekend, have another closed doors game scheduled today to give Rutkiewicz, who has shaken off a back injury, Kevin Moon, Graeme Smith and Peter MacDonald another run.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:09:48 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Collin Samuel has star quality, says McInnes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:30:17 AM »
But like he is a monstar 4 we because he score and ge dropppppp
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline noize

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
I just watch that game against Rangers and Samuel look really good he should have scored at least 3 ...his first touch actually look good , his runs were good, his speed and determination was on point....if this man fit and his touch continues to improve he can be ah menace to a backline...really nice to see him getting into good form... he's looking better than Tinto ...who looks good... but needs conditioning and learn to cross.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Only scored two this year but scored against the only 2 SPL teams who are worth anything.  Keep it up  :beermug:

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
I notice the manager seemed to keep harping on Sammy keeping fit or remaining in top physical condition. That and remembering the amount of weight he put on when he was with Toronto FC, leaves me with the impression that Samuel is a man that has to be pushed in order to succeed. If he could only harness the motivation to push himself to succeed he could become a valuable option to us up front or on the opposite wing to Carlos.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »
No idea why his talent has been overlooked by Jack Warner, he shoulda be a main part of the squd in the previous hex... steups >:(

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
No idea why his talent has been overlooked by Jack Warner, he shoulda be a main part of the squd in the previous hex... steups >:(

Jack doh like to be upstaged.  :)
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:54:38 AM »
By Gordon Bannerman (Perthshire Advertiser)

SOCA Warrior Jason Scotland used St Johnstone as a stepping stone to the riches of the English Premiership.

And the Perth club will benefit if his international colleague Collin Samuel attracts interest from south of the border.

But yesterday, manager Derek McInnes stressed that the Caribbean players have contrasting styles.

But if he can keep Samuel fit, the former Dundee United and Toronto player will turn up the heat on SPL rivals as the season unfolds.

World Cup veteran Samuel would love to perform at the top level but that means scaling heights with Saints.

McInnes admits both Trinidad men have star quality but he said: “Jason will always score more goals but Sammy has pace that really unnerves defenders.

]

...ah wonder if darrel Brown interested in ah wuk ...seems like is pace dey looking for ...and he have de size and structure too :devil:!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
he too dam lazy ...Colin shoulda be tearing up this league long time

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »

U have no idea? U never hear bout the Jack list?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

U have no idea? U never hear bout the Jack list?
:devil: well yea i guess i know why but still you have Tinto and Edwards changing sides when u have him there makes no sense... I was sold on Tinto but lately i think we will do better to have Samuel on that left side...

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:23:13 PM »
play yuh fitball mazan...fitball have no shoulda
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 06:11:10 AM »
I was sold on Tinto but lately i think we will do better to have Samuel on that left side...

Well the man who 'discover' Tinto up in Blanchicheusse, say the man is an out and out striker and because of his size they shunting him out on the wing. But he supposed to be a striker. So maybe we cah blame either he or Samuel for not being able to cross...we just have them filling roles when they should be the men to take over from Cornell and terrorise men upfront next to a battering ram like Kenwyne.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

1]; } ?>