April 25, 2024, 10:23:13 AM

Author Topic: T&T's superb efforts have reminded all & sundry the attractions of WI cricket  (Read 1070 times)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
source:http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/430489.html

to quote cricinfo

"T&T's superb efforts served another purpose, reminding all and sundry about the attractions of West Indian cricket and how much has been lost in these days of incompetence, egotism and idleness. T&T, and for that matter the second-string West Indian side that appeared in the Champions Trophy, played with sufficient passion to shame the overwrought incumbents and their headstrong administrators.

Certainly T&T's performance gave frustrated observers food for thought. Daren Ganga's side played as a team partly because they are a team and represent a nation, or at any rate a group of islands that have long been bound together. T&T has an identity, a meaning, a sense of patriotism. Contrastingly West Indies is a cause not a country. In essence it is a cricketing artifice and a broken dream. Those convinced that the only lasting solution to the West Indies' cricketing problems is to break it up and let the islands play as individual nations found in T&T's thrilling display plenty to support their case.

In the shorter term, Ganga's captaincy has surely also put the cat among the pigeons. It was widely and justifiably praised. After all it's been a long time since any West Indian captain coaxed a performance as spirited from his side. Although Ganga's batting might not be quite up to scratch (he's hardly alone in that), the West Indian selectors ought to consider appointing him captain of their team to tour Australia. Apart from anything else it's unlikely that he'll arrive three days before the first Test match, appear disinterested, and spend his time complaining about administrators and money and the rest of it. T&T may have pointed the way forwards. A cause cannot compete with a country, or not for eternity anyhow"

GO TNT
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:05:51 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
So now becz TT winning in 20-20, THAT is an argument for the WI to break up.

Yes Ganga seems to be a good Capt. however, a Capt. should make the team on merit or he is just a liability. We need out batting to be even weaker than it already is.

Chanders, Sarwan, Ramdhin and Bravo. Start there.

Lord if two Indo Guyanese become Capt. and VC, ah could see certain Indians in the WI practically
having an orgasm  ;D

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So now becz TT winning in 20-20, THAT is an argument for the WI to break up.

Yes Ganga seems to be a good Capt. however, a Capt. should make the team on merit or he is just a liability. We need out batting to be even weaker than it already is.

Chanders, Sarwan, Ramdhin and Bravo. Start there.

Lord if two Indo Guyanese become Capt. and VC, ah could see certain Indians in the WI practically
having an orgasm  ;D

VB

Well done T&T.....is been ah long time since I've been so happy with anything to do with West Indies cricket. But, that is the thing! Is a 20-20 cricket tournament we talking about, we not ruling over all forms of the game. If T&T was completely dominant over the other regional teams in all forms (20-20, 50 over and the four day game)...then maybe we could argue a split. We does win every now and again but we have never been truly dominant like the Bajans have in the past. However, Barbados who had multiple eras where they bossed the regional game never seriously threatened to split with the W.I. I think is mainly those outside West Indies cricket who keep going on about splits.

I remember when the big issue "threatening to cause a split" was about Indians from T&T and Guyana supporting Pakistan and India over the Homeside, but we all know the main reason fuh dat was there was hardly any Indians in the West Indies team during that time to support. IMHO support for the West Indies has drastically improved as Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Ramdin etc have established themselves. Is similar in England where UK born Asian support for the national side has increased as more Asians have come into the side. As yuh allude to vb, we should be worrying about sorting out the structure of the team rather than deciding if it worth breaking it up.

Is a shame Ganga is just an adequate/sometimes inconsistent batman or he would have been W.Indies Capt for a number of years now. But again I agree with yuh he would have to be on the side by merit. Yes in the past, there have been Capts of other Test nations who were mediocre players but you will find they were generally surrounded by a number of excellent players. The current West Indies team doh have enough of that quality to warrant having a passenger as Captain.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile

But, that is the thing! Is a 20-20 cricket tournament we talking about, we not ruling over all forms of the game.

:applause:

Thank you. I'm damn fed up with all this adulation about the T&T T20 team. Don't get me wrong; they have done really well so far and definitely exceeded my expectations and I will always support them. But they haven't won anything yet. And to me, they are a complete red herring when it comes to the West Indies team. I genuinely hope those who perform well in ALL formats of the game are chosen for the West Indies. In the meantime though, the media need to give it a rest. The boys have enough pressure on their shoulders as it is.  :beermug:

1]; } ?>