March 28, 2024, 08:35:07 AM

Author Topic: Dwight can ignite flagging code  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight can ignite flagging code
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:12 AM »
Dwight can ignite flagging code
By James Hooper (The Sunday Telegraph)

SUPERSTAR Dwight Yorke has revealed he wants to coach in the A-League as he embarks on the next phase of his glittering career.

In a move that would inject some much-needed star power to the round-ball code in Australia, Yorke has opened up to The Sunday Telegraph about his love of life in Sydney.

Preparing to launch his tell-all book, Born to Score, in Australia, Yorke believes the A-League is in need of a major makeover and is happy to make himself available.

Along with best friend Brian Lara and Australian cricket ace Michael Clarke, Yorke will attend Sydney FC's match against Brisbane Roar at the Sydney Football Stadium today.

"There's no secret to how much I enjoy being in Sydney,'' Yorke said. "I've retired now from the game in a playing capacity, but I've still got a huge desire to remain involved in the sport."

"Coaching and managing in the A-League is something I would love to do."

"I had a taste of life as a coach for Trinidad & Tobago and I loved every minute of it."

"The people here in Australia make us really welcome, that's why my best friend Brian Lara and I enjoy being here so much."

"To be quite honest, I haven't followed the A-League as much as when I was here, but there's no secret it has slipped a little."

"I'm not here long enough to give a fair assessment of the whole situation, but it needs to improve and it needs to attract more quality players."

"They need to make sure the national team is looked after and they need to attract good players to bring an audience out and enhance the league.''

Casually seated on a lounge in the lobby area of Star City's hotel  in Sydney yesterday, Yorke was happy to discuss his time as an English Premier League star and his reputation as a playboy.

Rating Natalia Imbruglia, Jennifer Hawkins and Dannii Minogue as Australian celebrities to catch his eye. Yorke also detailed some of the harder roads he has encountered.

His mother Grace died last week and Yorke attended the funeral last Monday. His sister Verlin also died of cancer in 2005.

"The book is based on my life. There are lots of ups and downs and loneliness detailed,'' Yorke said. "There are lots of misconceptions. I feel I just need to put the record straight and I feel it's the appropriate time to do that."

"Leaving Manchester United at a very low point of my career and losing my sister at a very crucial time was hard."

"I'm not sitting here and asking for sympathy. I always remember what my mum said, 'you make your bed and you lie in it'. I'm not as young as I used to be, but I'm still a very fun person. I don't do things halfway. I'm full on. If I go out I tend to have a good time."

"Of course I'm aware of certain things because experience comes with that and I've done things in the past. We're here to have a good time. The food, the weather and the people in Sydney are fantastic. And I want to say the beautiful women, but that goes without saying.''

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>