April 24, 2024, 06:58:14 PM

Author Topic: Lowe walks out on Guyana (money woes again)  (Read 686 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Lowe walks out on Guyana (money woes again)
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:30:03 PM »
By Rawle Toney

Just days before the Golden Jaguars football team heads off to Suriname, national captain Howard Lowe has withdrawn his services from the team because of issues over insurance and a training stipend.

In a letter addressed to general secretary of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Noel Adonis, Lowe stated that though he was “very proud to be selected as Guyana’s national team captain, the GFF must respect my position as captain.”

“I recognize that Guyana is a poor country and that the daily allowance cannot be compared with that of players from Brazil and the United States,” Lowe charged.

Howard Lowe

Wayne Dover

Noel Adonis

In the letter addressed to General Secretary Noel Adonis the captain claimed that there was no word on the insurance policy for the players and that an agreement had been reached for me to receive a daily stipend of US$15 during the encampment period. As of today there is no firm word on the insurance policy for the players and I need this information in writing. He added:” “We had agreed to fifteen dollars (United States) a day for the captain during encampment, yet today, the manager insisted on ten dollars which is the same amount as the other players.” Contacted last evening, Adonis told this newspaper that upon encampment, it was agreed that the players would be paid US$10 per day while in Guyana and US$12 while abroad. He also said that the issue of insurance was raised and confirmed that as of yesterday, the GFF had acquired a comprehensive insurance for the team.

‘Well directly, I have not received the letter as yet, but I have heard of it. Apart from that Mr. Lowe outside of the meeting we had with all the players, raised a concern about his stipend and it was agreed that we would pay Mr. Lowe as captain, US$12 per day while he’s here and US$15 per day while he is overseas,” Adonis pointed out. Coach of the Jaguars Wayne ‘Wiggy’ Dover told this newspaper last evening that he had spoken with the central defender and was told that he was  withdrawing from the squad. “Well he called saying that he is withdrawing, but didn’t say why or so on. Well normally I don’t really get involve with situations like this; we have a manager and he is our representation with the GFF. Indeed I say it is a big loss for the team because he is one of the guys who is really needed on and off the field and one that commands the respect of the players as well. He is also our best defender. Everyone knows the type of player Lowe is,” Dover said.

He added: “I was forced to select my team today (yesterday) without him but I didn’t appoint a captain because I’m hoping that this issue would be resolved before we depart on Monday because, trust me, he is very important to the team. But like I said, this is an administrative issue and I trust they resolve it.”

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>