April 26, 2024, 06:04:53 AM

Author Topic: Ontario cellphone ban starts Monday, violators could face $500 fine  (Read 3036 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Ontario cellphone ban starts Monday, violators could face $500 fine
By Maria Babbage (CP) – 7 hours ago

TORONTO — Starting Monday, Ontario drivers will be the latest Canadians prohibited from using cellphones or BlackBerrys while behind the wheel.
Millions of motorists in the country's most populous province are banned from using any hand-held electronic devices to text, email or talk while driving, except for 911 calls.
They're also forbidden from using portable video games or DVD players while chugging along. Global positioning systems are allowed, as long as they're properly secured to the dashboard.
It's the fourth province to enact such a ban, following Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
Manitoba's cellphone ban is expected to be proclaimed into law next year, British Columbia has introduced similar legislation and Saskatchewan has promised a bill this fall.
Hands-free devices aren't covered under the Ontario ban, but provincial officials say they're not recommended for use while driving.
Cabinet ministers usually have a driver to shuttle them around on official business, but Ontario Corrections and Community Safety Minister Rick Bartolucci said he still made sure he was prepared for the ban.
"Guess what? I purchased my earpiece," he said.
"I won't be using my hands to use the cellphone. I respect the law because it respects the safety of my fellow Ontarians."
Ontario drivers could be fined up to $500 if they're caught, but unlike other provinces, there are no demerit points attached.
There will be an "education" period in the first three months where police will show some leniency and, in many cases, simply let drivers off with a warning.
But make no mistake - drivers should not assume they're "scot-free" until February, said Sgt. Dave Woodford, a spokesman for the Ontario Provincial Police.

Cops still have discretion to lay charges by way of summons under the new law, where the driver would have to go to court to find out how big the fine will be, he said.
Motorists using a banned device can also be charged under careless driving laws and face fines, six demerit points, licence suspension - even jail time.
"If we see someone driving erratically or they're involved in a collision and they've been on their cellphone, there are already offences in place under the Highway Traffic Act where people can be charged," he said.
"So you don't want to send out he wrong messaging that you're allowed to talk on the phone for the next three months and not be charged with any offences, because you could be."
According to the 2006 Ontario Road Safety annual report, there were 77 fatalities among the 33,551 accidents due to "inattentive" drivers, which included talking on a cellphone while driving.
It's hard to know how many accidents were caused by drivers talking on their cellphones, said Woodford. The cause of many accidents are never known because the driver was killed.
Ontario was the first province to extend the ban to all hand-held electronic devices, a move that B.C. has followed in legislation introduced last week.
The proposed new rules - billed as the most comprehensive in Canada - would go a step further by banning new drivers in B.C. from hands-free phones. Drivers caught violating the rules would receive three penalty points on top of a $167 fine.

But motorists should go beyond the letter of the law if they want to stay safe on the roads, said Robert Tremblay of the Insurance Bureau of Canada.
"Using hands-free devices while driving is certainly better than using hand-held devices, but not using any distracting devices, or participating in any distracting behaviour at all, is the best policy," he said in a statement.
The bureau's tips for obeying the new law include:
-Eat before driving so you won't be tempted to juggle distracting snacks behind the wheel.
-Pull over and park before using a cellphone or other hand-held electronic device.
-Create a "driving" playlist on your iPod or music player and activate it before you hit the road so you won't be searching for a good song while driving.
-If there's something distracting you - something fell on the floor, the kids are acting up in the back seat - pull over to a safe area first, then deal with it.

-Check the map, adjust the seat, the climate control and the radio, and familiarize yourself with the dashboard controls, before heading out.

-Make sure pets are safely secured and in the back seat.

-Listen to your GPS device, don't look at it.

Copyright © 2009 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario cellphone ban starts Monday, violators could face $500 fine
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
today (Sunday Oct 25), I seeing people talking on their cell phone while driving like they trying to get as much talk time in before the ban goes into effect.

As much I dislike laws that seem to invade on personal behavior, I fully support this one. Is about time.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »
Wey QM. La Bambsee b afraid b very afraid.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:51:35 AM »
What yu talking bout?  I was driving tonight to work and see nuff ppl talking on dey phone in sight of the cops and it was after 12 midnight.  Knowing dem cops, the one day I doh have my headset I go get de $500 ticket. ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:01 AM »
ah hear on de news they "easing" de law in - for the first few months is a brochure dey handing out to violators. de actual enforcement coming feb. 1st. better late than never.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
ah hear on de news they "easing" de law in - for the first few months is a brochure dey handing out to violators. de actual enforcement coming feb. 1st. better late than never.

Yeah right, I not going to make dat mistake.  My wife done tell me that I fit the description.....
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 11:50:43 AM »
From what I understand, officers are suppose to give drivers warnings for using the cellphone or pda etc until Feb 2010, but they can still give you a ticket for speeding etc while using your cell phone.  Dat make sense ??? :-\  This weekend I went looking for a bluetooth, because I have a bad habit of ........  Anyhoo, not one in bestbuy or futureshop - sold out! So see me ordering from fido (more expensive) to send me one for the iphone. 2 weeks delivery... >:( 

Could you imagine this law in Trinidad and Tobago?  Same 500$ fine.....
Government will be richer within 2 months :-\

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
Mrs. Schwarzenegger (Maria Shriver) just got caught talking on her cell the other day here in California.

The most amazing thing though, was she was actually driving herself somewhere.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »
try posting on de forum and driving at the same time .. horrors oui  ;D
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:16 AM »

What about cell phones with GPS like I phones.
If u have a clip to put it on the dashboard quick u cud say it was telling u where to go   :devil:

But in all seriousness they talk about it down here and I waiting for the longest while for it to move closer to implementation.  Some people refuse to put down their phone....all kinda 10 point turn in a car park and the lady would not put the phone down!!   ::)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:39:29 AM »
hands free on not.. ban ALL completely when driving.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

was wondering about that - how they could enforce a ban on hands-free?  ???

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 10:38:48 AM »
They also need to ban applying make-up while driving, eating while driving, reading and doing crosswords while driving, driving with a dog on yuh lap, etc etc

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:11:20 PM »
They also need to ban applying make-up while driving, eating while driving, reading and doing crosswords while driving, driving with a dog on yuh lap, etc etc

Cool, I wid you!! But add hand job, blow job, shaving, pluckin nose hair, tunnin roun' to watch some gyul, bottle between legs, etc etc while driving too nah?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
Waz de difference between talkin on yuh cellphone and drivin

And talkin to passengers in de backseat of yuh car while drivin?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 05:43:04 AM »

distance?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »

was wondering about that - how they could enforce a ban on hands-free?  ???

make it that all cars are equipped with a device that scrambles bluetooth type signals, unless the car is in "park" ?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

Hands free is fine if people use it truly hands free.

They cud say hands free at all times...as in u can't be dialing numbers on the keypad while the car in motion.  Use the voice recognition or come to a stop somewhere safe to dial (that go the light of course  lol).  Taking your eyes off the road and refocusing on something not in line of sight of the road and at a totally different distance come like driving blind for them few seconds especially when your concentration shift to playing with the cellphone.

Watching and playing around with the GPS LCD screen cud be just as distracting but it usually in line of sight.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »

Cool, I wid you!! But add hand job, blow job, shaving, pluckin nose hair, tunnin roun' to watch some gyul, bottle between legs, etc etc while driving too nah?
aye aye lets not get crazy  ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »

aye if ah cyah put on meh lipstick, you cyah blow out nothing  ;D

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »

aye if ah cyah put on meh lipstick, you cyah blow out nothing  ;D

like Wednesday...

how about putting the lipstick on whatever getting blow?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

The difference is that one is "hands-free" while the other isn't... unless yuh have problems talking without using yuh hands.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 11:23:43 PM »

The difference is that one is "hands-free" while the other isn't... unless yuh have problems talking without using yuh hands.

The biggest part about cellphone and driving is not directly related to the hands on, but to the distraction provided by actually talking on a phone, hence the correlation to talking to some in the back seat not far fetched.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 12:33:42 AM »
The biggest part about cellphone and driving is not directly related to the hands on, but to the distraction provided by actually talking on a phone, hence the correlation to talking to some in the back seat not far fetched.

Would you agree that the "difference between talkin on yuh cellphone and drivin... And talkin to passengers in de backseat of yuh car while drivin?"  Is that one is handsfree and one isn't? 

Now as for your assertion... yes being distracted by anything is the biggest risk, conversation being a distraction, I don't disagree.  However focus and concentration aside, not having two hands on the wheel... or at least availble to grab the wheel is a major issue as well.  It also slows the reaction time because even if only one hand is on the wheel, the other empty hand could still react in time to avert a crash.  With that other hand occupied, studies have shown that drivers are slow to process the release of the object in the hand in order to grab the wheel.  It's made even worse when the object is one such as a cellphone (or a drink) which we have conditioned ourselves to NOT drop.  Rather than being instinctive, we have to think about it before we do it... all those microseconds count at high speed.

1]; } ?>