March 28, 2024, 06:56:32 PM

Author Topic: Any Guitar Players In Here? Big Mag help me out  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Any Guitar Players In Here? Big Mag help me out
« on: October 29, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
I'm want to learn to play the guitar and I would welcome any advice on a decent guitar to buy, as well as tips for technique or anything else.
I have guitar lessons on DVD and youtube is full of tutorials.

I found a Yamaha CG111S for US$90 but I will have to change the strings if I buy it.
Is that a good deal?

Amazon also has guitars for under $100 e.g. a Takamine

Not sure what is the best bet.
Also I am assuming I should buy a tuner and a strap.

I am a beginner so will the quality matter right away?

Again, any comments are welcome.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Any Guitar Players In Here? Big Mag help me out
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »
an acoustic guitar is yuh best bet fuh learners.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
Yeh iz an acoustic I tryin to get.
The electric I will save for later.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:06:18 AM »
some of this depends on the type of music you want to play eventually.
But yes, start out with the accoustic guitar, nylon strings are a little tougher to reach (my hands are small so I had trouble learning on one. The frets are wider apart and the neck of the guitar itself is wide. Nylon strings give a a folksier sound.
Steel strings give a richer sound and are not forgiving when you make a mistake. They also hurt more. Either way you end up with callouses.
As a beginner, do not impovrish yourself if this is just a hobby phase. Sam's Club has good guitars. Music stores will be more expensive of course.
I shy away from everything second hand because I like to buy new problems not people's old problems...lol
Restringing a guitar is not for a beginner, have a pro do it. If you do it yourself, you may ruin a good frame.

Your beginner package should include the guitar, a case (not a bag because until you learn the length and breath of the instrument, you will walk around banging it all over the place and again, ruin a good thing.) Tuning equipment isn't on the list yet. Just take it into a music store and get them to do it for you. If you have a nice smile, you may even get it done for free.

Do not spend more than $100 on your first guitar. You will want an upgrade soon if you're a serious and an apt student. Get a human teacher, one you like. They will make the music real to you. I can't learn well with video tutorials - not something like music anyway. You may be a different sort of learner.

Enjoy!

oh yes, a few picks for later on. But first learn using your fingers since this gives you the feel for your playing and givies you better skills. Fingers are mandatory for playing most latin music.

Fall in love with your guitar. It helps to have an icon to emulate. Mine is/was Eric Clapton.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:10:12 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
Thanks Queen.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:28 PM »
not sure what acoustic you are looking for but thought you might compare classical guitar (3 nylon, 3 steel)  vs. a regular acoustic guitar (6 steel strings):

i found:
- regular has smaller (and more) frets than classical making it easier to play, particularly bar chords
- the action on classical is alot higher than regular which makes regular easier to play
- on a regular you can manage hammer-ons and pull-offs alot easier than classical
- i've broken more strings on the classical guitar (3 sets at least) than regular (only one set)
- thin picks harder to work (could just be me).

another thing, if you playing written music or tabs or by yourself, you can tune down your guitar to save your hands. strings easier to bend, etc.. can't do this if you are trying to play with others since you will be out of tune.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:43 PM »
thanks queen and others. (peong, great minds does think alike boy) i with my old self want to be a reggae bassist (like aston barrett or sly dunbar :) )   i done check out bass guitars, tutorials on de web all kinda ting.   which one.     i also interested in learning guitar, i say i go learn one den branch off to the other one.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
Ribbit: I didn't know regular acoustics have a lower action in general, I thought it would just depend on the manufacturer.
I had a classical beginner's guitar a long time ago and I remember ketchin meh tail to press the strings properly, so this is something I will consider before I buy.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Ribbit the two tones from nylon and steel string mix can be a bit discordant not so? It used to make me feel I was doing something wrong.
I admit though, I had trouble pressing nylon enough and had to practive hard and often. Bar chords would mash me up so I switched to steel and used a capo when I could. It was good for paranging too, giving a strident sound to compete with the mandolin without overpowering the cuatros.
Soft pick, yes! Loved the thumb ones because the finget tip ones tired pelt out my hand and nearly lick out people eye...lol.

Peong, save the classical for later when you really ready to love up a guitar. That thing curves into your body and you have to caress it nice....but when it responds to you...lawd... 8)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »
Ribbit: I didn't know regular acoustics have a lower action in general, I thought it would just depend on the manufacturer.
I had a classical beginner's guitar a long time ago and I remember ketchin meh tail to press the strings properly, so this is something I will consider before I buy.

yeah, i think the string tension on a classical, especially with the nylon strings, is lower than the regular - so a higher action guards against the strings hitting the fretboard at the lower tension. one thing with a low end guitar, you may not be able to adjust the action so then it's down to the specifics of the guitar.

Ribbit the two tones from nylon and steel string mix can be a bit discordant not so? It used to make me feel I was doing something wrong.
I admit though, I had trouble pressing nylon enough and had to practive hard and often. Bar chords would mash me up so I switched to steel and used a capo when I could. It was good for paranging too, giving a strident sound to compete with the mandolin without overpowering the cuatros.
Soft pick, yes! Loved the thumb ones because the finget tip ones tired pelt out my hand and nearly lick out people eye...lol.

Peong, save the classical for later when you really ready to love up a guitar. That thing curves into your body and you have to caress it nice....but when it responds to you...lawd... 8)

niceness - i never try finger tip picks. for classical, i usually use fingers, so there's no sound of the pick against the strings to distinguish nylon vs. steel. yeah, like you mention re: paranging - the classical sound is certainly more nuanced than the regular.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 05:01:14 PM »
been playing for abt 8 yrs now... try looking thru www.musiciansfriend.com for equipment if u havent yet. if ur cheap, like me, browse thru the clearance section. u'll find alot of equipment that have had their prices slashed drastically b/c of a small dent  ;D  the yamaha u were talking abt is a good deal as far as im concerned (once everything on it is functioning properly and it's in fairly good condition). there's no stress in changing the strings once u have a tuner or something like a keyboard to produce the notes to tune to by ear and the basic knowledge behind it. since ur beginning tho it will be best, as queen mentioned, to find someone who has more experience in tuning to do it for u and show u how to do it or consult a musical equipment store. they usually do services like that for a couple bucks or sometimes free of charge. if ur a quick learner u can aways check youtube to learn good tuning procedures but i wouldnt recommend learning something like that via video. the master tuners from before the time of television had to learn by knowledge passed down from the experieced ones. lol. the others are correct abt considering an acoustic. they're less costly and so would be a good investment for someone who wants to start off and see how they cope w/ the instrument. personally i would suggest using a nylon stringed guitar. when i started off i used to play w/ a steel stringed yamaha and had my fingers bleeding for a good couple months before it lessened. sliding on the e, B and G stings used to be a killer. playing on that guitar did help however in learning good playing techniques more accurately than i probably would on a nylon (could be totally wrong) and did allow me to develop some speed after overcoming the high string tension. nylon strings would make things alot easier and less painful but if ur ever considering moving on to an electric or a steel stringed acoustic u may have some slight probs adjusting to the change in strings. its nothing big tho. playing on any unfamiliar guitar will always have small challenges due to various factors. also check www.ultimate-guitar.com u'll learn alot from the articles and lessons there and u can also scout the forum for tips and solutions. there's also a tablature database on the site. u can use it to learn any song that's available. u will however need to learn to read tabs tho. it really simple. if u ever need guitar pro (its a great midi program that allows u to view and play tabs and also creat ur own) PM me and i'll send u the set up file.

btw, queen, dont fret  :rotfl:

1]; } ?>