March 28, 2024, 04:19:17 PM

Author Topic: Larsson bids emotional farewell  (Read 2386 times)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Larsson bids emotional farewell
« on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Larsson bids emotional farewell
BBC Sport

Larsson found it hard to keep his emotions in check

Striker Henrik Larsson fought back the tears as he said farewell to football and admitted his decision to retire had left an "emptiness".

The Swede took to the pitch for the last time in Helsingborg's 2-0 Swedish League loss to Djurgarden on Wednesday.

He was given a standing ovation from the crowd.

The 38-year-old scored over 300 goals during spells with Helsingborg, Feyenoord, Celtic, Barcelona and Manchester United.

Tributes from the likes of Sweden coach Lars Lagerback, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and international team-mate Zlatan Ibrahimovic were played at the ground.

"It really hits you when meet all this love," said Larsson, who will not play in Helsingborg's final match of the domestic season at Elfsborg on Sunday.

"I'm normally quite a cool character but right now I feel like I could cry.

"It's huge to be able to end it on our home ground and it has to end some time. It's rubbish to end things this way (with a defeat) but you can't have everything in life."

Larsson, who won 106 caps for Sweden, was also moved by Helsingborg's decision to retire the number 17 shirt in his honour.

"It's a fantastic gesture by the club, to retire it for ever. I'm very moved," he said.

Larsson will now take time out to think over how best to fill the void left by his retirement, although he has already been linked with several coaching jobs, including at Celtic.

"I don't know if I have to go down to the employment agency and do certain things, but I have the luck and luxury to be able to say no to jobs which are offered to me," he added.

"But obviously there is an emptiness at present, and I need to fill that emptiness with something.

"I'm fortunate enough to have earned enough money to be able to sit back and not panic, but I have to do something. I can't just glide through the rest of life."

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
Re: Larsson bids emotional farewell
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
Wow... definitely one of the most underappreciated players of his era.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
 :applause: :applause:  Well done, Good Player and a football gentleman
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:29:14 PM »
Indeed Observer... one of my favorite players of all times.  I still recall seeing him for the first time with Celtic and wonder who this fella wid de dreads tearing up de right flank was.  Was pleasantly surprised to see him playing recently in qualification... pity Sweden never really accomplished much during his time with the national team.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:11 PM »
should have left that shitty scottish league a long time ago to prove himself among the best..

To me that was the one drawback of his career.. the fact that he stuck it out with Celtic so long..

Great player nonetheless, was even able to make a tangible contribution at the biggest clubs in the twilight of his career.. which is a credit to his quality.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
was a boss at celtic...
had him on my custom FIFA team back in the day  :devil:
whey boy!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
First time I saw him was at the WC (USA I think) with his dreads and coming off the bench as a youngster.He was always a class act on the pitch. Well Done Henrick!! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:48:19 PM »
should have left that shitty scottish league a long time ago to prove himself among the best..

To me that was the one drawback of his career.. the fact that he stuck it out with Celtic so long..

Great player nonetheless, was even able to make a tangible contribution at the biggest clubs in the twilight of his career.. which is a credit to his quality.

Maybe he was there too long, but #7 is a God to Celtic fans, akin to Henry at Arsenal...if Arsenal fans were anywhere near as passionate as Celtic fans. His arrival in Scotland effectively ended Rangers dominance of the SPL (they'd won 9 titles in a row before Larsson came) and he was virtually a one-man show. He pretty much put the club on his back and took dem all d way to d UEFA Cup final, which was a 1 v 1 classic - Larsson vs Deco.

Legend  :beermug:

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
One of the most feared strikers ever. Could score headers with such accuracy and power that his ability left many stunned, shocked and in awe. There will be other strikers that will remind us of Larsson, but never another. Best wishes to a class act and a tremendous footballer.

Blessings
Richard G.
T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »

:applause:

best Celtic ever.... ever, ever

True Class act of the sport..... with this statement

"But obviously there is an emptiness at present, and I need to fill that emptiness with something.

"I'm fortunate enough to have earned enough money to be able to sit back and not panic, but I have to do something. I can't just glide through the rest of life."

I expect to see him as Sweden's next coach ??  :beermug:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »
Pure class!!!!! God bless. Maybe he will get into mangerial or coaching. He probably be back in that capacity. All the best.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
There will be other strikers that will remind us of Larsson, but never another. Best wishes to a class act and a tremendous footballer.

Blessings
Richard G.

Cosign

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »
Absolutely one of the classiest players to put on football boots.  Blessings to you brother!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 07:01:42 PM »
saw him live vz TNT in Dortmund... thank god he did not add to his goal tally that day

good football man... respect
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 07:10:34 PM »
Had to post: classsssssssssssss and more classsssssssssssss

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
First time I saw him was at the WC (USA I think) with his dreads and coming off the bench as a youngster.He was always a class act on the pitch. Well Done Henrick!! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Cosign.  Sweden had really looked good that year....

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »

Had a crush on this man once  :-[

sad to see u go boo  :beermug:
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:17 PM »
That was the first World Cup I remember watching. I was backing Sweden over Brazil. His play was sublime. I always remembered him as being a real team player. Great Player !

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:01 PM »
That was the first World Cup I remember watching. I was backing Sweden over Brazil. His play was sublime. I always remembered him as being a real team player. Great Player !

Aye...Jah Gol.....where de HELL you get dis video, Hoss?1  Every time I look at it I does buss out laughin'.........Yuh should post sumting on "The best dribbler in the history of football" thread....jes' to have a example.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>