April 27, 2024, 01:52:57 AM

Author Topic: Perspective of a player (important thread)  (Read 2501 times)

Offline future socawarrior

• Jr. Warrior
  • I can accept failure but i cant accept not trying
    • View Profile
Perspective of a player (important thread)
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »

I rarely start threads but i think now is a good time for this;

I would first like to start off saying that other players who i know read the forum including National players so that people could get an understanding of what goes on in the leagues you play in. I play at the D1 level in America and although people don't think that this league should not be given consideration for guys getting selected, they most probably never went to a game before.

Secondly i would just like to point out the flaws i see currently in Tnt football presently..(I am a firm believer of copying what the best do, in order to be the best you have to learn from the best)

Cons of TNT football mentality:

1) Fabio Capello we see scouts the games of not only the top flight players but the upcoming ones (Carlton Cole) could someone name one occasion that Latapy or his staff went to Turkey, Belgium or USA to see any nationals play. Does he know the likes of Justin Fojo, Javed Mohammed, Stephan St. Louis, Yohance Marshall exists?

SOLUTION - get out there and scout, we have way less players to choose from, so we should get as much talent as possible and develop it

2) Tackling - i read on this forum, time and time again that a guy plays good defence when he puts in a good "blade". Avery John, Spann, Keyno thomas are poor readers of the game because they slide tackle  alot. Maicon, John Terry, Ferdinand probably have to slide tackle twice a match, only if it is needed.

Solution - Young players, don't only watch Drogba score amazing goals, learn to watch John Terry and Carles Puyol when they defend to see their positioning before they get the ball.

3) Fitness - Two years ago i was doing fitness drills, Coopers tests, shuttles and I probably was running for an 1hr and a half in preparation for my preseason. While on the training ground that a Pro league team was training on an ex - warriors and at the time assistant coach of the team began laughing and asked if my friends and i were training on a track team and you gain fitness from playing. As funny as it was to him, I guess i got the last laugh when i saw the team struggling of tiredness in the Concacaf Cup, losing all their games. I STRONGLY BELIEVE that the local players are not as fit as the foreign players. And as such lapses in concentration occur in defending, which causes goals. eg in COSTA RICA recently.

Solution - Start running. You could have the skill of Messi but if you are afraid to make an attacking run because you may not be able to get back, then you will never be 100%. Who do you think is fit Jake Thomson or Keon Daniel?

4) Speed of play - Tnt speed of play is too slow for international play. We made it to the world cup because there were enough foreign based players to raise the speed of play. This time the foreigners were too old (Yorke, latas, Tallman). In the hands of Clyde Leon, Trent Noel, Theobald, kEON dANIEL, the speed of play was too slow. In College here, they push for us to move the ball quickly. Switch sides quickly and get up the pitch fast. Local players have a tendency to hold on to the ball for long ( a tendency that had me riding pine in my freshman year)

Solution - Coaches should practice counter attacks, moving the ball quicker and the youth coaches should insist that their players keep the ball moving!! Impossible is nothing

I have many more to add, but if you disagree with any... let me know

Pros:
1)the development of the current u-20's.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Perspective of a player (important thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
Excellent post. With respect to scouting players, Jack aint have money for that. It is who tell who about who.
 Remember Tallman told the coach about Memum and Stern about Jake

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:08 AM »
Good and insightful post.

I would add one more "Con" - Poor ball control.  Far too often we see our players requiring 2-3 touches to gain control of the ball.  As you said, we could add more but the lack of ball control at the international level really bothers me.  Most times this results in the speed of play being perceived as Slow.

On the point of fitness, lack of playing time in a game hurt most of our foreign based platers (bpth in fitness and sharpness).  It has been argued on this site in the past that a player riding the bench in the foreign lower leagues is no better off than the local Pro player playing 1-2 games a week.

Stay focused and striving Future Warrior.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Good thoughts future. Appreciate your perspective.

Post the rest. . .
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »
Couple thoughts in response to your post

Scouting- Easier for Capello to scout- all his players are based in Europe (mostly in England)...Not that practical for Latapy to scout players in Belgium, Turkey, and different colleges around the U.S.  Not making excuses for Latas, and not saying you don't have a point...but to compare the difference between  Capello scouting Carlton Cole and Latas doing the same for Darryl Roberts in Turkey....not a realistic comparison... First question: What's the scouting budget within which Latapy is operating?

Tackling- I don't think this forum judges a defender by the quality of his blade.  Primus looked to be the most promising defender, and that was a unanimous opinion on this board..haven't seen him go to ground in a game yet.  I'd say Trinis rate a defender when he has a good handle of the ball, and is composed in his distribution.  That said I'm not sure if individually our defenders simply don't read the game, but as a unit they are not compact and they don't move like a unit, and often are not supported by the defensive efforts of the midfielders...that often leads to imbalance, loss of defensive shape and ultimately desperate, last ditch defending.

Fitness- Fitness breeds fitness. i.e the fitter you are, the harder you work, and the fitter you will get....  Running in the off season will only get you to a certain level.  Game fitness comes from playing games, and playing them correctly.  Diet/nutrition, lifestyle/habits and weight training go a long way as well.  In addition to putting in the miles/drills in the off-season our players lack fitness because the level of intensity of our games isn't there, and I suspect the diet/nutrition aspect is somewhat taken forgranted...

speed of the game- fitness, intensity (mental and physical), discipline, focus and practice....it must be ingrained but it doesn't seem to be done so much in our local game...I still think that the perception in T&T of what makes a good player is not yet in line with the reality of the modern game worldwide...we place too much emphasis on rare flashes of individual brilliance and finesse, and ignore the qualities that are not as obvious to the eye... (Trinis rather watch/play a stroll in the park fete match pace game with nice touches and finesse, than an rapid, scrappy, intense battling encounter...even if the latter is more effective)..... I wonder if our climate has a little to do with it as well...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:52:35 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
Real Important Thread.The Essence of a Player.Very factual.Very Good. More ! More !
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
speed of play, speed of play, speed of play ... all day ... and on the flip side: speed of thought, speed of thought, speed of thought.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:26:48 AM »
Everything you said can be incorporated in one word.

Coaching.

the problem with trinidad football is we do not have a culture of coaching improvements.

Hopefully Lincoln can implement a coaching development and education program in Trinidad for the long haul.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »
nice thread futures..

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
good writeup future.

i agree on all points.

look who top the hex with a team including US college system players and who finish last if u doh agree with him.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
good writeup future.

i agree on all points.

look who top the hex with a team including US college system players and who finish last if u doh agree with him.

PPL go still say de PFL better than MLS  :rotfl: :beermug: ::)
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
Good post fellahs!!!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
Everything you said can be incorporated in one word.

Coaching.

the problem with trinidad football is we do not have a culture of coaching improvements.

Hopefully Lincoln can implement a coaching development and education program in Trinidad for the long haul.

Lincoln ???? you serious ? you sounding like he just is being introdued here . Well let me add one other con ....the biggest CON of all ....once he is around it matters not what others think ...others...like Lincoln.....are told what to think and therefore keep quiet..no point !

in short time folks will realise that football in &T will be lower in standard than criket, basketball, rugby, table tennis, athletics, swimming, hoola hoop even !

we will also realisethat it is possible to improve wthout the big Con ...all other associations are doing t.

Offline future socawarrior

• Jr. Warrior
  • I can accept failure but i cant accept not trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 09:18:21 AM »
Couple thoughts in response to your post

Scouting- Easier for Capello to scout- all his players are based in Europe (mostly in England)...Not that practical for Latapy to scout players in Belgium, Turkey, and different colleges around the U.S.  Not making excuses for Latas, and not saying you don't have a point...but to compare the difference between  Capello scouting Carlton Cole and Latas doing the same for Darryl Roberts in Turkey....not a realistic comparison... First question: What's the scouting budget within which Latapy is operating?

Tackling- I don't think this forum judges a defender by the quality of his blade.  Primus looked to be the most promising defender, and that was a unanimous opinion on this board..haven't seen him go to ground in a game yet.  I'd say Trinis rate a defender when he has a good handle of the ball, and is composed in his distribution.  That said I'm not sure if individually our defenders simply don't read the game, but as a unit they are not compact and they don't move like a unit, and often are not supported by the defensive efforts of the midfielders...that often leads to imbalance, loss of defensive shape and ultimately desperate, last ditch defending.

Fitness- Fitness breeds fitness. i.e the fitter you are, the harder you work, and the fitter you will get....  Running in the off season will only get you to a certain level.  Game fitness comes from playing games, and playing them correctly.  Diet/nutrition, lifestyle/habits and weight training go a long way as well.  In addition to putting in the miles/drills in the off-season our players lack fitness because the level of intensity of our games isn't there, and I suspect the diet/nutrition aspect is somewhat taken forgranted...

speed of the game- fitness, intensity (mental and physical), discipline, focus and practice....it must be ingrained but it doesn't seem to be done so much in our local game...I still think that the perception in T&T of what makes a good player is not yet in line with the reality of the modern game worldwide...we place too much emphasis on rare flashes of individual brilliance and finesse, and ignore the qualities that are not as obvious to the eye... (Trinis rather watch/play a stroll in the park fete match pace game with nice touches and finesse, than an rapid, scrappy, intense battling encounter...even if the latter is more effective)..... I wonder if our climate has a little to do with it as well...

i agree with a lot of the points you make my friend. However, in terms of the scouting, If a Federation in the top 80 in the world cannot afford to send 2 guys to look at players in the US and Europe then don't ever expect Trinidad and Tobago to ever qualify easily OR anytime soon.

I would understand a poor country like Haiti, but a ticket to NewYork is $3000, Hotel Accommodation is $1000, tickets to the game $10US, NOTEPAD, PENCIL (not even a pen). Moreover, in different parts of the US and in Europe there are "ambassadors" who notifies the coach of a prospective player. That's how its done. I was introduced to one two summers ago and was promised a scout would be sent up.... Didn't happen..lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »

i agree with a lot of the points you make my friend. However, in terms of the scouting, If a Federation in the top 80 in the world cannot afford to send 2 guys to look at players in the US and Europe then don't ever expect Trinidad and Tobago to ever qualify easily OR anytime soon.

I would understand a poor country like Haiti, but a ticket to NewYork is $3000, Hotel Accommodation is $1000, tickets to the game $10US, NOTEPAD, PENCIL (not even a pen). Moreover, in different parts of the US and in Europe there are "ambassadors" who notifies the coach of a prospective player. That's how its done. I was introduced to one two summers ago and was promised a scout would be sent up.... Didn't happen..lol

I hear you...just making the point that Capello probably wasn't the best example as far as a comparison goes. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »

And after all ah dat, de man might get ah cobo sweat or none ahtall  ;D. It would be better to view tapes of the prospects rather than fly all over de place for a one off game, in which de player may jes have an off day, or college games where man getting sub in and sub out. The only foreign-based professional players who are fixtures in their teams are Kenwyne, Carlos, and Roberts. However, there should be some kind of scouting network setup where current and potential senior team players are tracked.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »

And after all ah dat, de man might get ah cobo sweat or none ahtall  ;D. It would be better to view tapes of the prospects rather than fly all over de place for a one off game, in which de player may jes have an off day, or college games where man getting sub in and sub out. The only foreign-based professional players who are fixtures in their teams are Kenwyne, Carlos, and Roberts. However, there should be some kind of scouting network setup where current and potential senior team players are tracked.

Up to a responsible point, yuh could rely on a cadre of credentialed foreign-based to scout ... there's bound to be reasonable consensus on the players identified ... as well as inherent checks and balances ... such that players who demand vetting in person obtain that opportunity ... additionally, these responsibilities could be apportioned regionally, among alternative mechanisms.

1]; } ?>