July 27, 2024, 05:05:50 AM

Author Topic: Steve Bruce anxious to solve Kenwyne Jones riddle  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve Bruce anxious to solve Kenwyne Jones riddle
« on: October 31, 2009, 06:58:58 AM »
Stuart Rayner (The Journal)

STEVE Bruce does not believe in psychologists. Once an old-school defender with the battered features to prove it, the 48-year-old has adopted a similarly no-nonsense approach to management. So having been surprised at just how good his most expensive signing is, now it is down to him to coax the best out of a striker whose qualities are plain to see.

This afternoon the Stadium of Light should witness a shoot-out between two strikers hoping to be in Fabio Capello’s World Cup squad. But while Darren Bent and Carlton Cole have become consistent goal-getters, Kenwyne Jones is proving more enigmatic.

Jones, who will not be in South Africa thanks to Trinidad and Tobago’s dismal qualifying campaign, was once described by John Terry as the best header of the ball in England, and has often been compared with Didier Drogba.

On other days, like at Birmingham City seven days ago, he can be completely ineffective – and with his languid style appear disinterested, too. In many ways he has become emblematic of a side which has beaten the best and lost to some of the worst.

“Kenwyne excites and exasperates in equal measure,” Bruce admits. “He is one hell of a centre-forward and on his day unplayable. What we must find is – like at the rest of this club – a level of consistency which makes him one of the most feared Premier League strikers.

“He has all the tools to do it but he has to do it on a regular basis to be considered a really, really top-class centre-forward.”

Bruce showed at Wigan Athletic he could get the best out of the different, but no-less-complex, Emile Heskey. Having given Jones what he probably secretly craved more than anything – a reliable partner he could strike a rapport with – Bruce has now put the carrot well out of reach to rely instead on liberal use of the stick.

“He needs to be living on the edge of rather than inside that comfort zone,” Bruce says of Jones, notable by his presence when other “big names” were rested in the early rounds of the League Cup.

“When he plays well, the team plays well. There are some parallels with Emile Heskey in that sense.

“Kenwyne is quick, with good mobility, great in the air, six foot four and you would not want to play against him at his best.

“Any top team is only as good as its strikers. We need that level of performance from him week in, week out and that is the test for me and my staff. That is what management is all about, not just tactics or picking a team.”

Jones was the villain on Tuesday when Sunderland went out of the League Cup on penalties. The first came in regulation time, Brad Guzan saving his weak kick. When a penalty shoot-out followed Jones was stood down from his duties.

“He was disappointed he missed that penalty but he played very well on his own up front against (Richard) Dunne and (James) Collins,” says Bruce. “He gave as good as he got. If he had stuck the penalty away, he would have been the hero but at least he had the balls to take it.”

If Jones has at times disappointed, the same cannot be said of Bent. “He is a better footballer than people give him credit for,” says Bruce. “His link play is good, he is terrific in the air – better than I thought – quick, has power, and boy can he finish! So he has got to be in with a chance (of an England call-up).

“It frightened the life out of me last week when I knew he had taken a knock and shuddered a knee. Thankfully, it isn’t too bad.”

When Bruce spent £10m of Ellis Short’s fortune to take football’s most notorious Twitterer from Tottenham Hotspur, it was nevertheless something of a gamble. “The challenge of management when you pay all that money is to say, ‘Just come and enjoy yourself son. Come and play,’” Bruce reflects.

“I remember him in that season for Charlton when he got 22 goals, nothing ever got him down and he played with a huge grin on his face and a great attitude. He maybe never had the craic at Spurs. He’s up against Cole but Benty is single-minded enough not to worry about that and think, ‘Can I just keep my own level of performance up?’ I am sure he will do his own stuff, That is all you can do.”

If Jones does, too, West Ham can expect a torrid afternoon.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Bruce anxious to solve Kenwyne Jones riddle
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM »
Jones just behaving Trini and if people honest real men in their professional career (whatever that maybe) fighting the same mindset.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:47 AM »
Fellas this is a serious article!

I missed watching the Sunderland vs West Ham game live today but should see it later. From reports I've heard KJ might clearly need some psychological help before Bruce starts losing his patience with him!

Kenwyne shove down a man and get sen off. West Ham leadng 2-1.

KJ red card ??? ???

On a postive note its good seeing that Sunderland was able to come back from 2 -1 down after KJ got sent off! Shows you they don’t necessarily need KJ on the field to play well so well done to Sunderland securing a draw and salvaging a point considering!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:33:20 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 12:09:05 PM »
Well at least KJ is now being consistent.

He playing shit for both T&T & Sunderland.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
Fellas this is a serious article!

I missed watching the Sunderland vs West Ham game live today but should see it later. From reports I've heard KJ might clearly need some psychological help before Bruce starts losing his patience with him!

Kenwyne shove down a man and get sen off. West Ham leadng 2-1.

KJ red card ??? ???

On a postive note its good seeing that Sunderland was able to come back from 2 -1 down after KJ got sent off! Shows you they don’t necessarily need KJ on the field to play well so well done to Sunderland securing a draw and salvaging a point considering!

??? First time i see KJ do shit like that he usually a laid back fella...

Offline GODFATHER

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
He's not a good striker. His height has allowed him to score many headers and he has had a few good goals scored on shots at goal but overall he's not really a good striker.

He should make sure and always send Tottenham a Christmas basket each year. Thanks to all that talk about paying 10 million for him Kenwyn got a new contract and make more money now than Yorke made in his prime. I could see the frustration at paying so much and getting so little.

He could be back in the Championship division after this contract unless he really puts in some extra work to develop into a good striker.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »
He's not a good striker. His height has allowed him to score many headers and he has had a few good goals scored on shots at goal but overall he's not really a good striker.

So you know better than Bruce, Terry, Keane, and a whole heap of coaches and media in Britain eh?

Allyuh good yes.  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
There is only 1 thing stopping Kenwyne and that is Kenwyne.  Have yet to see a performance anywhere near what he put in on a fair few occasions the season before last.  Bruce seems to be trying to gee him up constantly through the press, maybe he feels he needs a stoking up or not giving 100%, possibly part of the reason behind the red card today, only KJ knows.  Hope Campbell gets fit quick as he misses 3 matches now.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 01:43:30 PM »
There is only 1 thing stopping Kenwyne and that is Kenwyne.

I could see that argument.  I not on spot so I really cyah say definitively but that make way more sense to me than sayin he not a good striker.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:45:24 PM by palos »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »
There is only 1 thing stopping Kenwyne and that is Kenwyne.

I could see that argument.  I not on spot so I really cyah say definitively but that make way more sense to me than sayin he not a good striker.

The only reason I say that, is 2 seasons ago when everybody was raving about him and all teh talk on here was to leave the shit side and go to a top 4 club, I got a lot of stick for putting up what I was watching week in week out lack of movement, control, shooting, composure etc. 

Now even allowing for his injury in 2 years I have seen little improvement in those areas.  Now you could (as some no doubt will) blame the club coaches etc. but I just don't believe he is coached to stand next to 2 CH's or not told to run to the near post, follow the ball in etc.   But even if you do blame the club then KJ has his own career to think of, watch his own performances and improve himself if the club aren't going to.  Improve his own control, movement etc. 

Kenwyne will score goals because of his athleticism, but the question is will he ever score as many as he should.  When is the time up to start delivering the "potential" into reality, he is what 25 so needs to sort himself out shortly.  He could be a much better striker than Bent, but hand on heart I don't think he ever will be and both are the same age.

Offline GODFATHER

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 02:33:47 PM »
So you know better than Bruce, Terry, Keane, and a whole heap of coaches and media in Britain eh?

Allyuh good yes.  ;D
[/quote]

Roy Keane has yet to prove that he's a good manager or judge of tallent. Terry only said that Kenwyn was one of the best at heading the ball (his height advantage). Bruce would be silly to critize his 40K a week striker if he wants him to improve. If Bruce was able to get a better striker for cheap Kenwyn would ride the bence without a second look.

Remember when Diouf starred at the World Cup and Liverpool paid 10 million for him. I guess that manager was now wrong. Even Fergie get it wrong from time to time.

I'm not saying that he does not have potential but I wonder how motivated he is to get to a higher level.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »
Well at least KJ is now being consistent.

He playing shit for both T&T & Sunderland.

Yuh just kill d KJ does only play good 4 Sunderland argument.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:50 AM »
I watched Carlton Cole played yesterday. Probably same height as KJ, a little more built but quick and has pace.  The boy was running into spaces and creating chances for himslef.  This fella gave Arsenal REAL horrors last week as well!!

When KJ is on the field, its seems as though he is playing through emotions. Its tough to watch because I know and seen that he can give anyone pressure on a good day.  There was one play, for example, where KJ occupied the far left on the 18-yard and Bent was on the opposite end. I think it was Malbranque or Reid was on that far end and made a pass straight down to the 6-yard and Bent was there to get it, KJ was still standing in the 18-yard!!

I don't know what's going on in the camp but I hope KJ can resolve whatever problems/issues that might be circulating.  KJ could be a Carlton Cole and that would be great for him and the club or, maybe, he does not want to be a centre-forward anymore!!  He will have some time off with this red-card ban, hopefully he can begin to get his house in order, so to speak.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:05 PM »
We could say all kinda thing bout him as to why he isn't up to scratch and about what other coaches say about him and what not but the fact remains the boy is not playing well and that red card is a culmination of that fact. Cole looks better than him as well as Crouch . Coaches judge him on potential and if Keane, Ricky , Latapy, and Bruce can't get this boy to perform to the best of his ability he will be shipped out. KJ is 24 he is not a lil boy anymore ...Theoretically it seemed the only coach to get anything good out of him was Beenhakker.
I'm beginning to wonder if it aint better to play him in the defense because we not getting anything out of him upfront I mean no diagonal runs nothing no movement , no initiative.
It may seem harsh for men to say that he isn't a good striker but ........ the truth remains is he really a good striker?

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
the fact remains the boy is not playing well

Barclays Premier League Top Scorers
Torres     Liverpool     10
Drogba    Chelsea    9
Bent            Sunderland    8
Van Persie    Arsenal    7
Cole            West Ham    6
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Saha            Everton    6
Agbonlahor    Aston Villa    5
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Adebayor    Man City    4
Bellamy    Man City    4

In de company of some real shithounds here, boy.      

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Not tuh mention his assist rate. you does take these fellas seriously especially when they refering to KJ?

first of all the man is not ah pocher, his job is not so much tuh score , but tuh draw defenders away from the pocher (which is bent) and  hold up the ball and ware down defenders, it's ah miracle the bredder does be working like ah chattel mule and still scoring goals.

if allyuh want tuh pick on someone then pick on scotty, up till now he cyar find the back of the net.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:36 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Not tuh mention his assist rate. you does take these fellas seriously especially when they refering to KJ?

first of all the man is not ah pocher, his job is not so much tuh score , but tuh draw defenders away from the pocher (which is bent) and  hold up the ball and ware down defenders, it's ah miracle the bredder does be working like ah chattel mule and still scoring goals.

if allyuh want tuh pick on someone then pick on scotty, up till now he cyar find the back of the net.

Drogba at any point in time has 2 or more defenders on him yet he is second on d scorin list  :-\
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Drogba at any point in time has 2 or more defenders on him yet he is second on d scorin list  :-\

Drogba is also playing alongside Lampard, Essien, Anelka, Terry and the rest of the cast of superstars at Chelsea. Kenwyne getting stellar service from the likes of Jordan Henderson, Kieran Richardson and Andy Reid.

Allyuh saying KJ playing shit, yet few would argue that the KJ/Bent duo is one of the most feared partnerships in the Prem.. I guess that means Darren Bent must be the next coming of Torres..

Go figure..

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Yuh had a look at Drogba supportin cast lately?

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Drogba is also playing alongside Lampard, Essien, Anelka, Terry and the rest of the cast of superstars at Chelsea. Kenwyne getting stellar service from the likes of Jordan Henderson, Kieran Richardson and Andy Reid.

Allyuh saying KJ playing shit, yet few would argue that the KJ/Bent duo is one of the most feared partnerships in the Prem.. I guess that means Darren Bent must be the next coming of Torres..

Go figure..

wat drogba's supportin cast have to do wid d fact that he is still able to score goals while being jumbied by many defenders at any point in time ???

i just pointin out d fact dat doh mind he like to playact,  drogba is a work horse compared to kj

when i watch a sunderland game, my eyes are usually focused on jones an for many periods of d game he just stands there, no hustle. 

at dis point i not hatin on kj,  i jus find he has d potential to be one of d best strikers, but he needs to work harder

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

So KJ doh have to score to be effective, but Scotty have to?  ::)

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Go figure..

wat drogba's supportin cast have to do wid d fact that he is still able to score goals while being jumbied by many defenders at any point in time ???

i just pointin out d fact dat doh mind he like to playact,  drogba is a work horse compared to kj

when i watch a sunderland game, my eyes are usually focused on jones an for many periods of d game he just stands there, no hustle. 

at dis point i not hatin on kj,  i jus find he has d potential to be one of d best strikers, but he needs to work harder

does KJ get de same kinda ball and same kinda opportunities drogba does get?

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Go figure..

wayz! so all of a sudden d service KJ gets at sunderland not efficient!
d same service that d majority of peeps on dis board use as  reasoning as to why KJ doesnt score for d national team, but scores for sunderland! that same service?
all of a sudden d service at sunderland not up to par?
allyuh sweet in dis place yes!

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Go figure..

d same service that d majority of peeps on dis board use as  reasoning as to why KJ doesnt score for d national team, but scores for sunderland! that same service?

So because the service he gets at Sunderland is better than what he gets with the NT, that means it is as good as what Drogba gets at Chelsea? Dat come like saying because dirt taste better than shit, dirt is the best
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »

Drogba    Chelsea    9
Defoe    Tottenham    6
Rooney    Man Utd    6
Fabregas    Arsenal    5
Jones    Sunderland    5
Keane    Tottenham    5
Rodallega    Wigan    5
Bellamy    Man City    4

Go figure..

Do you understand the concept of degrees of bad and good? That "better service than T&T" doesn't mean "some of the best service in the world?"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:03 PM »
ok boys,  i give up. ::) because clearly allyuh not TRYIN to understand d point i tryin to make (or maybe i not makin my point understandable)

Jones, who will not be in South Africa thanks to Trinidad and Tobago’s dismal qualifying campaign, was once described by John Terry as the best header of the ball in England, and has often been compared with Didier Drogba.
The only reason i made the comparison between Jones and Drogba in d first blasted place

On other days, like at Birmingham City seven days ago, he can be completely ineffective – and with his languid style appear disinterested, too. In many ways he has become emblematic of a side which has beaten the best and lost to some of the worst.

so is not only me notice   ::)

“Kenwyne excites and exasperates in equal measure,” Bruce admits. “He is one hell of a centre-forward and on his day unplayable. What we must find is – like at the rest of this club – a level of consistency which makes him one of the most feared Premier League strikers.

He has all the tools to do it but he has to do it on a regular basis to be considered a really, really top-class centre-forward.”

which was d point i was tryin to make when i said he cud be one of d best if he works harder

take win fellas!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 07:31:02 PM »
what Beenhakker got out KJ Ngozi ??..just curious
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
Big Mag he got movement out of Kenwyn lots of movement. He was making alot of diagonal runs and constantly had the defense under pressure . He looked alot more dangerous just a few games off the top of my head Paraguay, England, Bahrain, Panama and I actually saw a game when he played right midfield and played it well!
I guess  the difference at that time other than the obvious that it was a different team was that he wasn't the go to man!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »
ok boys,  i give up. ::) because clearly allyuh not TRYIN to understand d point i tryin to make (or maybe i not makin my point understandable)

The only reason i made the comparison between Jones and Drogba in d first blasted place

so is not only me notice   ::)

He has all the tools to do it but he has to do it on a regular basis to be considered a really, really top-class centre-forward.”

which was d point i was tryin to make when i said he cud be one of d best if he works harder

take win fellas!

well if you put it that way then i could understand where u coming from..

but the mix up is because you quote and responded to someone addressing Ngozi's post.. not the post at the start of the thread u say u referencing..

So it basically sound like you was endorsing what he was saying.

1]; } ?>