April 19, 2024, 01:51:53 PM

Author Topic: Bruce blasts play-acting as Kenwyne Jones is sent off  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bruce blasts play-acting as Kenwyne Jones is sent off
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:23:38 AM »
Bruce blasts play-acting as Kenwyne Jones is sent off
By James Hunter (Sunday Sun)

STEVE BRUCE last night blasted West Ham's Herita Ilunga for 'play-acting' and accused him of getting Black Cats striker Kenwyne Jones sent off.

Ilunga fell to the ground clutching his face on the stroke of half-time after Jones had shoved him in frustration after being roughed up by the Congolese international one time too many.

But, while Bruce admitted Jones should not have reacted, the Sunderland boss was furious with Ilunga’s theatrics.

“Kenwyne was wrong for what he did – I’m not going to defend him for that – but he pushed the lad, that’s all,” said Bruce.

“Then when you see the play-acting and the medical staff rushing on and putting ice-packs on his eye as though he had a cut or something . . . there was nothing there – it was all just a ploy.

“When the ice-pack came off, I was looking for a huge gash but there was nothing there – not even a bump or a bruise. And there wouldn’t have been, because Kenwyne never touched his face!

“He raised his hands, but usually you get away with it if you don’t touch someone’s face. He pushed him – but was it violent conduct?

“He was wrong and he will be punished under the club’s disciplinary code.

“To go on like Ilunga went on, I would have been embarrassed. I’d have smacked my kids’ arses if they had done anything like that when they were playing football.

“If we’re not careful, we are going to turn it into a game for softies.

“He gets the boy sent off.”

Jones will miss Sunderland’s next three games – against Spurs, Arsenal and Wigan – through suspension, and the Black Cats will also be without skipper Lorik Cana for the trip to White Hart after he picked up his fifth booking of the season.

“We’ll be without Kenwyne for the next three games, and we will also be without Cana for the Spurs game because he got his fifth booking today,” said Bruce.

“It’s just what we don’t need when we’ve got a few injuries, too.”

Defensive mistakes saw Sunderland go 2-0 down against the Hammers, with Guillermo Franco giving them the lead on the half-hour and Carlton Cole scoring six minutes later, but Andy Reid pulled one back before half-time and Kieran Richardson levelled 14 minutes from time.

Bruce said: “For me, that’s what the Premier League is all about – it was a fantastic game.

“The energy we showed, after going to extra-time and penalties against Aston Villa in midweek, was excellent – especially as we had to come from 2-0 down.

“The two goals we gave away were poor, and you get punished for those kind of mistakes in the Premier League. But Reidy gave us a bit of magic to put us back in the game in the first half and in the second half the players were absolutely terrific.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce blasts play-acting as Kenwyne Jones is sent off
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:29:35 AM »
No KJ vs Scotty.... :-\
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:18:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sTsOOBllfZk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sTsOOBllfZk</a>

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:23:31 AM by Tallman »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:46:48 AM »
Man rush Kenwyne with a Zidane butt and stay on de field? Guess KJ shoulda let it land and fall down like he dead too. 

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
That man lucky he eh collect a true Trini slap.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 09:16:26 AM »
Actually, looking at it again, it look like he throw an arm in Kenwyne face during the challenge for the header. More likely what he was responding to.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
Didn't look like much was in it but rules are rules.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »
Man rush Kenwyne with a Zidane butt and stay on de field? Guess KJ shoulda let it land and fall down like he dead too. 

I now coming to ask if is me alone see he feeble attempt at ah head butt....so ah wonder if dey will review dis and maybe not suspend KJ for ah whole 3 games?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:56:57 AM »

I now coming to ask if is me alone see he feeble attempt at ah head butt....so ah wonder if dey will review dis and maybe not suspend KJ for ah whole 3 games?
Actually, ah change mih mind. I think he was just looking for de ball on de ground. I think de forearm to KJ face is what really spark it.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »
daz ah frankoment red card.. it have no review in that.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »
West Ham manager self say dais a yellow.

Offline Yardie08

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »
KJ is a damn bully!!! Who does he think he is? Malon? Trinis always trying to imitate the boyz  :rotfl:

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:15:10 AM »
KJ is a damn bully!!! Who does he think he is? Malon? Trinis always trying to imitate the boyz  :rotfl:

Nah, Marlon duz only hit girls

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »

Lol... ah know yuh woulda prefer KJ tuh first grab he bamsee, break he nose den break out into ah willy bounce?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »

Lol... ah know yuh woulda prefer KJ tuh first grab he bamsee, break he nose den break out into ah willy bounce?

:rotfl:
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 05:59:41 PM »
You eh have nutten better tuh do? why yuh like devil's advocate hooplah so, yuh trying tuh take palos title for being the most controversial member ah ought ?

BTW ulunga is ah macomareman! just like grogba and the whole of central america! he went on just like ah guatemalan, or ah costa rican tuh rass! ah wonder if that's ah new style amongst african footballers ? ah hope they doh flex like that on the whole.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 09:53:08 PM »
That man lucky he eh collect a true Trini slap.

:rotfl:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »
You eh have nutten better tuh do? why yuh like devil's advocate hooplah so, yuh trying tuh take palos title for being the most controversial member ah ought ?

BTW ulunga is ah macomareman! just like grogba and the whole of central america! he went on just like ah guatemalan, or ah costa rican tuh rass! ah wonder if that's ah new style amongst african footballers ? ah hope they doh flex like that on the whole.

i feel like you does trip off or something yes..

all i do is to state my opinion. KJ raise his hands to the man face and shove the man to the ground. Whether or not Ilunga made the most of it, that in my eyes is a straightforward red card offence.. I see nuff players get ah early shower for much less..

If they taking it to the panel to review, what is KJ's defence? Incidental contact? Provocation? He didnt push him hard enough?

look is either yuh agree or yuh disagree and move along.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:59 AM »

Agree- red card...full stop.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
jones get trini on that fella.

represent for central brother!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 10:25:22 AM »

Six
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
West Ham assistant launches strong defence of Ilunga
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:21 AM »
West Ham assistant launches strong defence of Ilunga
By Steve Pass (Sky Sports)

West Ham first team coach Steve Clarke has strongly hit back at Sunderland boss Steve Bruce in the wake of Kenwyne Jones' sending-off.

Jones received a straight red card in Saturday's 2-2 draw between the teams at the Stadium of Light for reacting angrily to a challenge from Herita Ilunga.

The big striker shoved the West Ham full-back to the ground, leaving referee Andre Marriner no option but to hand him his marching orders.

Afterwards Bruce was disappointed with Ilunga's reaction, questioning 'why does he need to roll around like that?' but Clarke strongly defended his player, believing the Black Cats boss should have kept his opinions to himself.

Clarke also questioned the antics of Sunderland captain Lorik Cana on the pitch.

He told Sky Sports News: "First of all, I think it was wrong of Steve Bruce to comment on our players - we have a manager who doesn't speak about any other teams' players, so I think that was wrong.

Incredible

"He said what he said - I find it incredible that the player who was the victim is the person that everybody is talking about.

"You have to correct me - tell me what Ilunga did wrong? Someone pushed him in the face, he's just recently recovered from a triple fracture to the jaw, maybe he thought there was a punch coming.

"I find it incredible that we're sitting here speaking about our player who was the victim, this is wrong. It's completely wrong."

He insisted there was no over-reaction from Ilunga, adding the player had to protect himself.

"He's a big boy Kenwyne Jones, he's a very big boy. He had to look after himself," said Clarke.

"I find it incredible that he (Bruce) gets so much time, so much airtime if he wants to speak about people from the opposition.

Terrible tackle

"I also find it incredible that the Sunderland captain wasn't sent-off - he was booked for a terrible tackle on Mark Noble, he kicked him up in the back.

"He was warned for a ridiculous lunge into the back of Mark Noble three or four minutes later.

"He then committed a two-footed tackle on Guillermo Franco in the centre circle which the referee knew he couldn't give as a free-kick as he would have had to send him off.

"And then after that he persistently fouled, another two-footed lunge in the second-half.

"You know it is easy to speak about other teams and other teams' players.

"I don't agree with it but if people are going to have a go at our players then I'm going to have a go back, I'm sorry."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »
he's just recently recovered from a triple fracture to the jaw, maybe he thought there was a punch coming.

Okay... that might explain an exaggerated flinch or recoil.  But why he stay down rolling around like somebody break he jaw again?

It amazing to me how big men does get away with this bullshit yes... first Arsene Wenger "supposing" that Eduardo was afraid of a tackle with the break foot in mind... of course he failed to note that rather than instinctively pulling his legs out of harm's way Eduardo did the opposite... dragging them in hopes of drawing contact.  Now this next second-rate jackass saying Ilunga did 'fraid fuh he jaw.

Lol.. comedy.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »
Kenwyn push down the man no doubt but the rivaldo-like play acting was uncalled for for professional ballers that is extremely unprofessional!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones fined by Black Cats
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »
Jones fined by Black Cats
Sky Sports

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has fined striker Kenwyne Jones for his red card in the 2-2 draw with West Ham last Saturday.

The forward was shown a straight red card for raising his hands to Herita Ilunga at the Stadium of Light and will now face a three-match ban.

Bruce was furious with the reaction of Ilunga, but he has also acknowledged that Jones let Sunderland down.

He said: "That's the disappointing thing of the sending-off, not just dealing with West Ham last week, we have got to go into the next three games without Kenwyne.

"That's why he has been punished. The club has punished him.

"We have got a standard disciplinary procedure which comes into effect. It's quite simple, it's there in black and white for them.

Silly

"Kieran Richardson was exactly the same two weeks ago. If you get sent off for two yellow cards or mistimed tackles, that happens, or you are the last man and you may get handballed or something, that happens.

"But something silly - we have all done it, we have all been there, the heat of the moment and you react.

"He will be a miss because the strike-force for me has been the reason why we are going the way we are at the moment, because we are a threat at the top end of the pitch.

"Being without Kenwyne, we will have to adapt."

Meanwhile, Bruce claims that his war of words with West Ham assistant manager Steve Clarke regarding Ilunga's reaction is in the past.

He said: "Maybe I'm not supposed to talk about other players. I'll take that point on board, that's for sure.

"But it's still not going to change my thoughts on that the boy rolled around and playacted.

Under the bridge

"But, water under the bridge. I got a response from Steve and they won last night (against Aston Villa) so I don't think he'll give a monkeys.

He added: "I think it was my right to voice my opinion on it.

"As I said from the offset, Kenwyne was silly with what he did. I couldn't defend it. We all know the rules. We all get carried away with it.

"I have to say, though, the actions of the player - still, no matter what Steve Clarke does or whatever - he got my player sent off. I believe."

"That is my response. It is all water under the bridge. As far as I'm concerned, it's forgotten about."

1]; } ?>