March 28, 2024, 06:30:18 PM

Author Topic: 11-year-old child gives birth  (Read 2181 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
11-year-old child gives birth
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

The 11-year-old mother
Posted Mon, Nov 02, 2009
POST A COMMENT »

Earlier this week, News of the World broke a story about an 11-year-old named Kordeza Zhelyazkova who gave birth to a baby girl on her wedding day.

Her husband, 19-year-old Jeliazko Dimitrov, met her in the playground of her Roma gypsy school in Bulgaria and rescued her from bullies. He said he believed she was 15 at the time and was never made aware of her real age.

He now faces up to six years in prison for having sex with a minor.

Kordeza has dropped out of school and says she is not going back. 'I used to play with my toys,' she said to News of the World. 'But now [my baby] is my new toy.'

Sliven, the Bulgarian city where Kordeza hails from, is the underage mother capital of Europe.

According to the girl's grandmother Dida, who was pregnant herself at 13, young motherhood is part of their culture. 'It's normal for our girls to have babies young. It's our tradition. But I didn't want it for my Kordeza - I felt she was too young.'

This incredible scenario begs so many questions: How can an 11-year old possibly comprehend the emotional and mental ramifications of raising another human being? How can a pre-teen fully understand the life-long commitment that is marriage? How can she manage to cope with the complicated arena of sexuality before her twelfth birthday?

But what may be more depressing than a culture of 'girl mothers' is how seemingly unprepared they are to deal with their lot. If young motherhood is so traditional (and commonplace) in this area, where is the sex education? If you know that girls are going to be having sex and getting pregnant (whether they're ready for it or not) can't they  at least be provided with the tools to understand what they're getting themselves into?

Kordeza received no sexual education in school, had never heard of condoms and didn't even know she was pregnant. And what's most frightening is she refers to her child as her 'new toy'. Kordeza is painfully uneducated about the gravity of the situation ahead of her and regrettably ill-equipped of the most daunting tasks she'll face in her young life.

Can an 11-year-old really raise a child? Is a tradition of young motherhood acceptable? Should these girls be receiving more sex education?

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-relationships/blog/lifestylists/4348/the-11-year-old-mother
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 11-year-old child gives birth
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
kids makin kids.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:27:41 PM »
kids makin kids.

yeah and their own mother condemming them to a life of limitation and disadvantage
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
kids makin kids.

Taught d husband would have been older.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »

Can an 11-year-old really raise a child? Is a tradition of young motherhood acceptable? Should these girls be receiving more sex education?

NO, NO, YESSSS

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »
kids makin kids.

yeah and their own mother condemming them to a life of limitation and disadvantage

the story of Baltimore inner city....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
kids makin kids.

It is, I have noticed, mostly the mothers/women who perpetuate these traditional practices. They went through it themselves, it is what they know so they remain in an infantile state in this facet of their life thinking it is acceptable

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
I knew a girl like that in Trini. After first form she got pregnant with twins and had to leave school. The father was 22 yrs old at the time. Her parents(and probably his) made them get married.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:37:40 AM »
I knew a girl like that in Trini. After first form she got pregnant with twins and had to leave school. The father was 22 yrs old at the time. Her parents(and probably his) made them get married.

Pointman I really hop yuh is 1 of d elders on this MB and lat when King hammer was a hatchet.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:16 AM »

Pointman I really hop yuh is 1 of d elders on this MB and lat when King hammer was a hatchet.

mid-40's ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

1]; } ?>