March 28, 2024, 11:01:58 PM

Author Topic: Any polyglots on the board  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Any polyglots on the board
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:51 AM »
I wanted to know, if yuh speak another language besides English or Spanish, how long did it take you to learn and what is the fastest way to reach conversational level.

No specific language in particular; but ideally I'd like to hear about those very foreign to ours

I not into the audio books or dvds or the long stretched out college/university courses (although I feel this is prob best in terms of thorough-ness)...anybody ever do an immersion program? what are those like.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 02:54:31 AM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Any polyglots on the board
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
date a girl who speaks a different language.... and couple that with rosetta stone. My Korean and Mandarin was taught to me this way...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:56 AM »
German
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »
married into a language that was so foreign (pun intended) to my ear and riddled with a poetic phrasing. It took years and still only able to converse very slowly and have to listen very intently. Add to that, when they speak a localized tongue based on the language, I get lost quickly. (akin to learning Oxford english then being left in a Louisiana bayou at night during a fox hunt).
Took a few classes and have a phrase book but none of those helped as much as being surrounded by it.
The spanish and french started through the usual schooling then tried to keep it fluent through friends - lost a fair bit of it though.
Currently leaning how to speak teeneager...omg, it is like so todally awesome..

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »
cussing  :beermug:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
Queen that first language you talking about is Jamaican?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Queen that first language you talking about is Jamaican?

;D no sir...
But in saying so. I found Jamaicans in Jamacia MUCH easier to understand than those I met off-island.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »

Lol when I see the subject I thought was a new word for glutinuos polygamist and I was going and register.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:08:28 AM »

lol
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:09 PM »
married into a language that was so foreign (pun intended) to my ear and riddled with a poetic phrasing. It took years and still only able to converse very slowly and have to listen very intently. Add to that, when they speak a localized tongue based on the language, I get lost quickly. (akin to learning Oxford english then being left in a Louisiana bayou at night during a fox hunt).
Took a few classes and have a phrase book but none of those helped as much as being surrounded by it.
The spanish and french started through the usual schooling then tried to keep it fluent through friends - lost a fair bit of it though.

I'm currently working on a universal translator to understand teens. Will share after patent business done.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:14 AM »
date a girl who speaks a different language.... and couple that with rosetta stone. My Korean and Mandarin was taught to me this way...

How effective is rosetta stone? and how long?

German

Go on ...

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Polyglot is my name...lol besides English and Spanish(and I am fluent in Spanish...lived in Ecuador and Mexico... I like Mexico better :D ) I speak Brazilian portugese(yes it is different for the European and African version) and I can get by in Amharic(if they drop my in Addis Abeba I know enough to get around). I studied a little Sizulu but not enough to really communicate effectively, just a few sentances here and there.
I'm a big language fan.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
Polyglot is my name...lol besides English and Spanish(and I am fluent in Spanish...lived in Ecuador and Mexico... I like Mexico better :D ) I speak Brazilian portugese(yes it is different for the European and African version) and I can get by in Amharic(if they drop my in Addis Abeba I know enough to get around). I studied a little Sizulu but not enough to really communicate effectively, just a few sentances here and there.
I'm a big language fan.

Sounds like we coulda use you when the Columbian Dentist was coaching the national team

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »
I'm a big language fan.

Sounds like we coulda use you when the Columbian Dentist was coaching the national team

:rotfl: Dat fella was plain clueless d language barrier was d least ah he issues.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
I'm a big language fan.
What method(s) do you use to learn a new language? I am a fan of formal methods (grammar, vocabulary...). Also how is your fluency? Can you understand them fellas commentating on a football match on a Spanish station? That is real pressure
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
german... not exactly fluent but i can conduct a fairly understandable conversation... my ex-gf's father was german tho and i learned a good bit from him... after that bitch decide to pull her racist shit i ended up learning the rest from teach urself books and practicing it by adding some random germans on skype and talking to them. alot of them know english so they're usually cool w/ helping out a bit w/ the german. if u have a passion for the culture behind the language that usually helps. when i was growing up i was obsessed w/ oliver kahn and that just led the way to me delving a bit more into the other aspects of germany...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 11:37:40 AM by The_Ice »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »
good point there Ice.
Having a passion for something helps to overcome the obstacles in obtaining keys to it.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 01:22:12 AM »
I'm a big language fan.
What method(s) do you use to learn a new language? I am a fan of formal methods (grammar, vocabulary...). Also how is your fluency? Can you understand them fellas commentating on a football match on a Spanish station? That is real pressure

Cantona I have a love and a nack for picking up languages easily. When I was 16 I spent a summer(3 months) in Ecuador and was completly immersed in Spanish...although a few of my friend spoke a litttle English. I was able to learn quite a lot then. I would speak, make my mistakes and when corrected just commit that to memory. That's how I got better.
Same thing with Mexico but I spent more time there, just loved it so much. Mexicans so much like Trinis it's unbelieveable. Of course Mexican spanish is so different, so many of their words are native American(Aztec et al) words and not Castillian.

I tell ppl who want to learn a language that the best way is to immerse yourself in the country and culture. Take a dictionary along and try to read the newspapers and watch the news on TV to get good handle on the language.
I used to watch a lot of football whilst in Mexico. I watched the 1982 WC there and the commentry was boss. First time ah hear the commentators bawlling "goooaaaaallll" was from watching Mexican league and WC down there.

Mexicans used to ask me if I was from Acapulco 'cause that's where a lot of Afro-Mexicans are from...my Spanish was that good. Even my accent is Mexican which is amusing to a lot of people.

The formal method to learning is good but it has it's limitations ie. your "ears" have to still get used to the pace and cadence of actual conversational Spanish (or whatever language). Ultimately you really have to either travel to the country or have lots of conversations with native speakers to become proficient in another language.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 07:32:07 AM »
Pointman...exactly!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Pre-coital conversation.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
I'll add what my grandfather once told me about learning languages... it kinda falls under what Pointman was talking about, but asylumseeker's post is more apt.  ;)

"Sleep with a warm dictionary."

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »
Pointman, real good points (no pun intended). While for me, I like formal methods, you are spot on when you say that your "ears" really have to get accustomed to things like cadence, regional grammar/idioms even the pace of speech. I admit that when I travel to Latin countries, I try to rely on the Spanish I learned formally a loooong time ago, but with little success, because of the reasons you outlined. It's a bit frustrating (you really have to go through a cycle of attempted conversation, correction, remember, repeat), which is why I am interested in how people learn foreign languages.
Thanks.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
pointman has some good points.  he have meh grinning here trying to imagine a trini fella with a mexican accent lol   my wife (puerto rican) does not like that accent at all, i find it kinda cool but i much prefer the caribbean spanish accent.

when i was studying for a level spanish i used to tune in to the am band and listen to all them venezuelan stations,  plus i used to go every saturday to classes given by the Venezuelan institute for culture and cooperation. that helped a lot.  even listening to a football broadcast on telemundo or something can help you a little bit.  nothing however beats traveling to a country and being immersed in the language (simple chores like taking the bus, going to the bank etc.)

like franz fanon said, learning a language is learning a culture so i would advise anyone interested in learning a language to read up on festivals, history etc.

p.s. pointman i love brazilian portuguese, the way it sounds is just so cool to my ears.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »
Would love to learn Italian too but it would be learning it in a vacumn here.
Can't seem to learn well in a classroom setting but put me between the people and I can get it within a short space of time.

You know you know a language well when you can make and understand humour in that language. Humour, more so than anything else is entirely reflective of the people and steeped in their language. It will tell you its culture, its history, dialect, tout baghai.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
pointman has some good points.  he have meh grinning here trying to imagine a trini fella with a mexican accent lol   my wife (puerto rican) does not like that accent at all, i find it kinda cool but i much prefer the caribbean spanish accent.

when i was studying for a level spanish i used to tune in to the am band and listen to all them venezuelan stations,  plus i used to go every saturday to classes given by the Venezuelan institute for culture and cooperation. that helped a lot.  even listening to a football broadcast on telemundo or something can help you a little bit.  nothing however beats traveling to a country and being immersed in the language (simple chores like taking the bus, going to the bank etc.)

like franz fanon said, learning a language is learning a culture so i would advise anyone interested in learning a language to read up on festivals, history etc.

p.s. pointman i love brazilian portuguese, the way it sounds is just so cool to my ears.

Fari, most people find Mexicans accents funny. They really sing a lot. I have a difficult time with Caribbean Spanish accents, I have to listenly intently.
Once I was home on vacation and ran into an Italian woman who is married to a Trini and it was so funny to hear the Italian-Trini accent. She also mentioned...this is an aside...that TnT national football side reminded her of an Italian High school football team. ;D
Ay, have you watched "City of God"? that street Portguese was kicking my ass but the movie was great.

1]; } ?>