June 16, 2024, 08:32:21 PM

Author Topic: The sad state of Intercol Football  (Read 8570 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
The sad state of Intercol Football
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:27:05 AM »
Forumites,

I had a little time to kill so for nostalgia sake I say lemme go and rekindle some memories and see what Fatima vs St. Marys had to offer.

Lemme tell alyuh something...what was on display and nuttin is the same ting.. which translates to the under 17 getting cutarse which further...moves to under 20...which goes onto Pro League and finally by extension the senior side.

I really feeling like an old man as I type this....but Intercol football wasn't so in my time.

In my time there was a pep rally...school assembly and then the whole school used to march down to the stadium in unison. School overs early.

We used to have t-shirts with the squad on it. All kinda print screen ting. Every man wearing a fatima kit or colours, people had headband, face paint up...we had flags, we had banners, we had steel pan, riddim section, iron and tassa side, we used to have fight too...but good longtime hand fight with big stone and bottle...and we had GIRLS...we had supporters...convent, providence, holy name, bishops. Them girls were dey in the riddim section, walking up and down like they wukking taxi, they screaming and bawling and we had chants and ting.

Also stadium used to be RAM out...we were in grounds...trying to setup on the space above the tunnel when the team walked out.

Boy yesterday I just couldn't believe what intercol come to.

Imagine big double header...with the big 4 colleges in North Zone...is QRC, St. Anthonys, Fatima and CIC and about 2000 people if so much in covered stands.

Car park empty...nobody around, no vibes, no atmosphere NUTTIN.

Imagine QRC playing a intercol semi final...no flag...no riddim section, no horn , no brass..no drum...NUTTIN.

It wasnt the same not hearing...da .da dah dah da da da da da daaaahhhhhh...trumpet blare from QRC.

St Anthonys didnt have no kinda vibes nuttin...and again...NO Girls for them small men to check.

Watch meh...there was no line to get into the stadium...ONE turnstile in operation and is $30 to get in.

Place dead it quiet...and is just like students nowadays lacking something.

Also too the demographic...long time form 1-2-3 was mandatory you attend yuh school games...now its mainly the older students.

You not seeing the vocal parents encouraging their sons...you not seeing the teachers and deans in the stands keeping a eye out.

Boy it was a shame...a damn shame...penalty kicks come and gone and no kinda big hurrah...the stadium screen not on...no kinda security or police of note as students all over the track and field with no kinda order.
Imagine half time in the fatima vs cic game students playing small goal on the field and children running wild on the track.

In my day it was dem big tactical police with baton hitting man level blows if they only climb the fence...and if yuh manage to climb it...he sending down in the trench around the track with blows too.

So now on the Fatima vs CIC game....no riddim section...both schools assemble on their respective sides on the bottom part of covered stands......NO GIRLS.

Not a parent, big sister or cousin to gape at....only a setta youths with mohawk, smedium jersey with a skull and wings print and they wearing a setta woman pedal pushers tight tight ketching them round they knee.
I cyar understand how looking like a bullerman is style.

Anyhow...besides the final score...CIC did better than Fatima in the cheering and riddim section. They had they lil arazmatataz chant going. They had one broken small drum, one cowbell, two out of time precussionists, one flag and college pride.

Fatima...I ent know what to say, game start and men ent assemble good yet...some scrambling tru the gate.
No flag, no yellow and blue, no riddim section, no noise, no chant besides a jokey ole ole...and yes it hurts to type this....NO GIRLS.

The action on the field was poor as well......imagine a intercol semi-final and I only see 7 beat...7...whole game. 5 from Fatima and 2 from CIC....and the CIC beat was dreader.

A number 10# hit a man a spanner on the line infront the bench...and loss the ball after and another man hit a Fatima player a roly-poly in the middle and had the man on the ground.

Other than that is some jokey cut back and lucky pull back crowd going orf on...I mean dem fellas like they forget how to beat.

The game lack excitment...no kinda near misses or finishes, no kinda spark, no running, no urgency and all the players were BUN by 30 min in the first half.

It might be unfair to the lil fellas who were on the field yesterday...but them fellas couldn't of make a class league PE side in my time in Fatima far less a first XI...maybe on a good day, they could be a sub for midday league in the quadrangle.

It is just so sad how youngsters these days do not have the opportunity to experience SSFL how it used to be....shit I sounding real old.

The best part of yesterdays proceedings were the penalty kicks....perfectly executed and you could see the technique and training from both teams. Congrats to CIC...outplayed in the 2nd half by Fatima but goals win games.

Forumites, I feel football dead in TT. The evidence is all around us and I ent think it will revive anytime soon.

Hold fast to all your favourite football memories...cause yuh ent getting any more in a hurry.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: The sad state of Intercol Football
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:58:56 AM »
But you shouldn't be surprised...is not just day before you outlined the reason people doh go to Pro League games.  Well the reasons you outlined in that post could probably be transferred to Intercol too....just mih lil 2 cents....and thanks for the heads up....ah goh enjoy mih memories of Dwight before all yuh did know bout him.... :)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
Yesterday's attendance was poor... CIC had no school apparently. So you know anyone living past the lighthouse not going to travel down to the stadium, pay 30tt ...yes 30tt.. and then travel back

Father Mendez really dont think yes. He should have put the "holiday" on the Thursday so everyone could come the game then go lime after and enjoy their thursday off.

Those prices are way too high for students and I expect a bigger turnout next wednesday

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »

In my time there was a pep rally...school assembly and then the whole school used to march down to the stadium in unison. School overs early.

We used to have t-shirts with the squad on it. All kinda print screen ting. Every man wearing a fatima kit or colours, people had headband, face paint up...we had flags, we had banners, we had steel pan, riddim section, iron and tassa side, we used to have fight too...but good longtime hand fight with big stone and bottle...and we had GIRLS...we had supporters...convent, providence, holy name, bishops. Them girls were dey in the riddim section, walking up and down like they wukking taxi, they screaming and bawling and we had chants and ting.

aah boy the memories.... school spirit and gape... that is what intercol is about

Imagine QRC playing a intercol semi final...no flag...no riddim section, no horn , no brass..no drum...NUTTIN.

It wasnt the same not hearing...da .da dah dah da da da da da daaaahhhhhh...trumpet blare from QRC.

Amazing!!... in my time I never beat QRC in QRC grounds but that still remain one of my favourite place to play... when yuh hear that brass, my pores used to raise and i used to feel like playing football... is what i grow up aiming to experience... what really going on?

Watch meh...there was no line to get into the stadium...ONE turnstile in operation and is $30 to get in.

I suppose nobody ent even bothering to storm... oh garrdo where did the intercol experience of storming go?

Also too the demographic...long time form 1-2-3 was mandatory you attend yuh school games...now its mainly the older students.

Down to the nerds who never kick a lime used to go the intercol knockout games

Not a parent, big sister or cousin to gape at....only a setta youths with mohawk, smedium jersey with a skull and wings print and they wearing a setta woman pedal pushers tight tight ketching them round they knee.
I cyar understand how looking like a bullerman is style.

pedal pushers  :rotfl: nahhh lol

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Intercol is real shit. I was watching highlights on schoolsportscenter.com and it is so poor it not funny. The defending and goalkeeping is absolutely shocking.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 11:09:34 AM »
Yeah it was a real, real poor, poor vibes. Nothing at all...no girls, no rhythm, the football was boring overall  (although both second halfs were lil exciting more for the drama than quality of play).

It is just a disgrace to see how it has become. I can't even recall when last the two first Intercol sides played a North Final.That should be a huge event (no offence to fatima)

I thinking about creating a CIC v QRC Intercol final event on FB to try and get some vibes back. I talk to some past band members and they considering pulling out their trumpets cause if the youths don't want to do it, maybe some alumni could come back and hype up the place.

So, my CIC brethren on d board could pass it on to their people and gimme some feedback if to even bother.

Then again, knowing how thing is work, i will end up filling the place with saints men and have my QRC rhythm drowned out and outnumbered.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »
$30 is too much, should be free for the school children

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:22:51 AM »

Daz a wing and drumstick wit fries and a red seejink by KFC!!  Too much?? ::)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 11:25:03 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
Yep.  I remember playing in front of 20,000 in Skinner Park.  My time had a decent core of players:  Marvin Oliver, Marvin Joseph, Kevin Leacock, Stern John, Avery John, Cecil Hinds, Dwarika, Ike Jurawan, Stokley Mason, Glasgow....there was still talent back then.  Problem is that the coaching leaves a lot to be desired at that level, and the preparation is too seasonal, as against a continuous, measured learning course...After the season, many players fall by the wayside until next season.  The Pro clubs are beginning to fill this void, and if you ask me, that is what we really should be looking to.  The school system cannot accommodate the level of commitment and time that is required for players at that age.  If you compare the amount to time these Intercol ballers spent training, compared to players of comparable ages at the European academies, it's not a surprise to see why we lag behind in international youth football.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
how it lookin down south??  to me when i watch highlights on school sports centre i hearing riddim section, tassa..i seeing them lil girls from naps girls, convent, asja et al.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
How much of Intercol's popularity is about girls, riddim section, and tolum?

Is the football being played secondary and incidental to these elements?

I eh jes talkin bout now....but throughout the history of intercol.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
las year when i was home i attended games in south north and tobago...south still has decent crowd support when compared to the other zones i went. But attendance has dropped overall
Pres Naps i still sure is de biggest crowd tho. I never seen that kinda atmosphere in any other zone in recent years
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

If u have 2 pay d 30 and then take d bird 4 KFC that is 120. If u plan 2 ask d bird 2 play she go b ah ex bird.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »

If u have 2 pay d 30 and then take d bird 4 KFC that is 120. If u plan 2 ask d bird 2 play she go b ah ex bird.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
yuh eh lie at all dey. an no yuteman in school go be willin to put out dat kinda money for an intercol match.

but touches, yuh talk d trute. we football dead even in d yute level. i dont know where dese young boys priorities are. a couple years ago all yutemen wanted to do was sweat.

but now when yuh watch dese school boys is all about fashion, hairstlye, gaza, gully, daggerin, and all kinda stupidness
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
whey....I dating myself here but, I never pay to CIC home games, and away games was $2.00
well yes

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
whey....I dating myself here but, I never pay to CIC home games, and away games was $2.00

Yes brudder u old like d road
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »

Yuh better change yuh name to Sr. Sams..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »

:rotfl: yuh wicked gyul...in the 90s it used to be around $5 $10 for the most ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »

:-X  aOuch... :rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 03:25:37 PM »

Oh geeeeeedddd!!  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »

Must luv this space

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »

:rotfl: nice....ah feelin de luv in dis forum....
and dem prices was 86-89
well yes

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 04:08:30 PM »
I was talking to Mike Grayson about the vibes at intercol and he said that one of the reason for the "low turnout" actually is the expansion of the colleges league. When intercol was just for the 8 or 10 schools and was basically a north south rivalry, the country had no other joice but to follow that. But now east has it's own group and central has a group and south has expanded and Tobago has it's group. So that has pulled a huge amount of support from the north(well port-of-spain schools) and San fernando schools. So actually there may be more people at intercol, just that it is spread out now. Of course the entrance fees are an issue also.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
I remember when i was dey..it used to have intercol assembly and ting. Started dying out in my upper school years.....when i went north final last year dey had some drums....buh....dahs bout it.

Buh consider dis dynamic:

Study is 30 dollars to enter. I think...buh i eh sure..but i would at the very least hope that is 10 or 15 for students in uniform. Dahs the most i would think would be considered reasonable.

Study man go have lessons...and in dis competitive age where everybody want an edge...to go an intercol game eh go be high on priorities.

Study de fact that CIC students traditionally preyed on in dem ting...and dem youth dese days doh have no stomach to stand up fuh deyself and each other. Personally i could see my year being the last of the breed that did. Plus people go be bummy still....given the fact of that youth man being killed just recently after a game.

And dahs just without going into de other dynamics. This is wha i think quantifiable across the board for all zones.

Intercol football is the last of any kind of football locally that has a following. Its because of the affinity and ownership and the actual being a part of the schools that participate. But having an affinity for it doh change de quality. Especially when a man seeing champions league football and ting...and den hadda see de filth in abundance locally......and on top of dat...pay between 10-30 dollars....eh exactly someting dat go be a crowd puller. Dahs how i see it at least.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »

and dem prices was 66-69  ;D

Offline Lifeisgood

• Jr. Warrior
  • Lively Up Yourself!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
Touches,
I too was at the games last night and having not attended a game since I last played in 1990 - I was not totally disappointed with how the games were played.  Based on the opinions I had seen on hear, I was expecting to see kickball on display and players that did not have a clue.  So, although the players are not on the same level as in my era 86-90, at least there is some semblance of football being played. 

Simply put, what is missing is the passion - all the other things you mentioned in your post, are what made making your schools' first XI special..that is missing.  I was in utter shock when I saw how empty the stadium was...back in the day ..hmm..Saints-Fatima..the place would have been ram out!!

Life is a cycle so hopefully college league will see glory days again ... we may be attending the games in wheel chairs..but let us remain hopeful.

I am in Trinidad for a week and consider myself fortunate that the intercol schedule is as it is ... getting to see CIC mash up both Fatima and QRC...den fly out the next day!!

raza taza raza taza zim boom ba!!
 :beermug:
Never be afraid ....
To turn over your uncertain Future
..to our certain God.

Love one another.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
Fatima home games free...aways games $2 tops...

St Anthony's ground and QRC ground- storm.  

Trinity grounds - no gate...

Mucurapo - shared our grounds so that is freeness...

So come to think of it, it's only Malik, Belmont & CIC away from home yuh payin' tuh see....

$6 for the season...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2009, 05:06:52 PM »

So come to think of it, it's only Malik, Belmont & CIC away from home yuh payin' tuh see....

$6 for the season...

Fuh intercol dese days doh...is in de stadium..and yuh hadda enter from covered side....through the turnstiles. Stormable...but high risk of getting caught.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »

$6 for the season...
right, glad I eh de only one who remember dem $2 games...
well yes

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »

and dem prices was 66-69  ;D
che, yuh like ting eh  :D
well yes

1]; } ?>