March 28, 2024, 03:12:52 PM

Author Topic: Henry admits handball  (Read 22389 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Henry admits handball
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:48:32 AM »
Henry admits handball
French skipper pleased to be through despite controversy

Thierry Henry has admitted that he did handle the ball as he set-up the goal which saw France beat Republic of Ireland in their World Cup play-off.

The French captain caused huge controversy as he handled Florent Malouda's long ball into the box, before crossing for William Gallas to head the ball home.

The goal came in the first-half of extra-time, after Ireland had beaten France over 90 minutes thanks to Robbie Keane's first-half goal.

With the first-leg ending 1-0 to France the game went into added time, and the home side grabbed victory in the most controversial of fashions.

"Yes, there is a handball but I am not the referee," Henry admitted.

"I'm in the box, there are two defenders in front of me. The ball bounced off my hand, the referee did not see it and I played on.

"It doesn't change anything to the fact that I'm happy we have qualified."

Pleased
French coach Raymond Domenech was pleased to go through, although he admits he did not see the handball.

"I did not see a hand. It's you people who are speaking about this," he said.

"Sometimes we feel unlucky like we were against Serbia, sometimes we feel lucky.

"I just want to congratulate the Irish team. I am disappointed for the public and the fans. In a way, I regret that they did not qualify.

"I very happy for the players and the staff and the people here. The only word we need to say tonight is that we are very happy at the qualification."
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5703602,00.html
Republic Of Ireland was the better team and should have won, I have always admired Henry, but that incident just made me upset... Just my opinion on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:55:17 AM by triniairman »

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry admits handball
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:51:07 AM »
Irish hearts broken in Paris
Storm surrounds Henry as luck deserts Irish in Parisian controversy

Republic of Ireland's dreams of reaching the 2010 World Cup finals were shattered after they suffered a cruel and controversial 1-1 extra-time draw with France in Paris to lose their play-off on aggregate.

Robbie Keane had erased Les Bleus' one-goal advantage from the opening meeting in the first half, but William Gallas struck in contentious circumstances in extra-time after Thierry Henry had handled in the build-up to book a place in South Africa.

What was already a colossal fixture in terms of importance had been given plenty of additional stirring from the first leg, which 1998 world champions France won thanks to Nicolas Anelka's deflected 72nd minute strike at Croke Park.

Ugly scenes involving Ireland's Keith Andrews and France's Lassana Diarra after the final whistle had overshadowed the match in Dublin and suggested Giovanni Trapattoni's visiting team arrived at a packed Stade de France with additional intent.

But it was a tense opening as Ireland answered Trapattoni's calls for 'cool heads' and dictated the first half-hour, correcting the weekend's wastefulness in possession, to be rewarded when captain Keane converted Damien Duff's 33rd minute cutback.

Ireland finished the half with their noses deservedly in front on the night, with Raymond Domenech's France delivering the sort of turgid display which had been heavily criticised when they crashed out of Euro 2008 at the group stages.

The home side emerged after the interval with more intent, but it was Duff who had the best chance as he charged through and forced Hugo Lloris to demonstrate why he is beginning to carve a reputation as one of Europe's sharpest goalkeepers.

Neither side could find another goal in 90 minutes, but Gallas equalised from close range in the first half of extra-time to sneak a 2-1 aggregate win after France skipper Henry had avoided punishment when clearly controlling a free-kick with his hand.

Believe
Victory over the course of the tie spared France manager Raymond Domenech further abuse, although when the dust settles, his critics may be far from appeased.

Keane had been at pains to insist at Ireland's pre-match press conference at the Stade de France that the tie was far from over, and while his confidence was commendable, few outside the Irish camp were completely won over by his optimism.

But by the time the half-time whistle sounded, the men in green both on and off the pitch were starting to believe.

Republic keeper Shay Given was a virtual spectator for much of the half, and as the men in front of him grew in confidence, it was the visitors who started to make an impression.

Patrice Evra had already had to climb high to prevent Liam Lawrence from connecting with Duff's 18th minute cross and the Stoke midfielder, once again preferred to Aiden McGeady on the right, was in the thick of the action once again six minutes later.

He met Kevin Doyle's cross at the far post to head the ball down for Keane and only the vigilance of keeper Lloris, who rushed from his line to punch clear before the striker could pounce, spared France.

There was panic among the French defence once again with 26 minutes gone when Lawrence crossed from the right and Doyle glanced a header across the face of goal.

It was all very encouraging for the Irish, and their prayers were answered 13 minutes before the break.

Duff was gifted acres of space on the left to make his way to the goalline before looking up and picking out Keane with the perfect pass.

Reaction
The striker gleefully side-footed the ball past Lloris and into the bottom corner to set France back on their heels and blow the tie wide open.

Domenech's side attempted to respond but their reaction was lukewarm, and the home crowd, having booed both their own manager and President Nicolas Sarkozy when their respective images appeared on the stadium's big screens, repeated the dose as the teams left the pitch at the break.

Their mood would have taken a significant turn for the worse had Ireland made the most of a glorious opportunity within two minutes of the restart.

Trapattoni and his players had spoken repeatedly about France's perceived weakness from set-pieces in the run-up to the tie, and they had been disappointed not to exploit it at Croke Park on Saturday.

But they very nearly did just that when Lawrence curled a 47th-minute free-kick to the far post where the unmarked O'Shea, perhaps astonished to be given so much time and space, controlled on his chest only to volley high over.

The French response improved, and Given was called upon to make his first real save with 54 minutes gone, but Anelka's long-range effort never troubled him.

As the home side pushed men forward, they became increasingly vulnerable, and Trapattoni's troops were presented with a gilt-edged opening with 61 minutes gone.

Lawrence's defence-splitting pass put Duff in on goal, but the winger was denied by the impressive Lloris as he pulled off yet another vital stop.

Anelka glanced a header wide at one end and Keane rounded Lloris but could not get in a shot at the other as the game became increasingly frantic.

Given had to claw away an Anelka cross deep into injury time, but Ireland more than deserved their extra 30 minutes.

However, Ireland's luck deserted them 13 minutes into extra-time when Henry handled Florent Malouda's delivery before crossing for Gallas to score.
http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_3208280,00.html

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »
So Henry eh no worse than Maradona.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »

true, but some how ppl seem to praise maradona theifing.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »

true, but some how ppl seem to praise maradona theifing.

My point exactly.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 06:25:34 AM »
 ;D

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »
This whole incident is a transvestite of justice.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:07 AM »

Nah Maradonna say it was d hand of God. Henry say iz he hand. Did I miss Crouch admisson of d Sancho thug.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:16:02 AM »
Cheat or paragon: how Thierry Henry could have handled it all so differently

Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.

In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.

Even there, it could be argued that an element of reflex was involved. But in the few seconds that followed, Henry had two options. He could pretend that he had not broken the most basic law of outfield play. Or he could take the opportunity to neutralise the effect of his reflexes. To erase an error. To right a wrong. To be a man.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
Terrible way to win/lose.  In a way I understand Henry's point that once the ball hit his hand and he heard no whistle, his instinct is to play on...from the footage though it looked like more than "the ball hitting his hand"... He seemed to intentionally cradle it into his stride- that I can't morally condone...

Heartbreaker- such is the game....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 09:25:03 AM »

lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:12 AM »

Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.

In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.

Even there, it could be argued that an element of reflex was involved. But in the few seconds that followed, Henry had two options. He could pretend that he had not broken the most basic law of outfield play. Or he could take the opportunity to neutralise the effect of his reflexes. To erase an error. To right a wrong. To be a man.

(continue)

:beermug: :applause:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
This will follow Henry, and could very well be more trouble than it presently seems worth.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
Unlike the Trinidad FA in '73
Ireland lodges handball protest with FIFA

DUBLIN (AP) — The Irish soccer association has lodged an official complaint with FIFA over the deliberate handball by Thierry Henry that cost Ireland a place in the World Cup.

The Football Association of Ireland issued a statement Thursday saying the handball was recognized by the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by Henry himself.

Henry's handball in extra time of the playoff led to a goal by William Gallas in a 1-1 draw that put France in the World Cup.

'We got robbed': Irish demand replay with France
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK (AP)

DUBLIN — Ireland appealed to France and soccer authorities Thursday to replay their World Cup playoff in Paris after an obvious handball by Thierry Henry produced the winning goal.

Ireland's government and opposition leaders united in demands for Wednesday's 1-1 draw in France to be replayed, and the country's soccer federation said it is considering a protest.

In extra time, Henry twice handled the ball to prevent it going out of play, then passed to William Gallas in the Irish box for the deciding goal.

France advanced to next year's World Cup finals in South Africa with a 2-1 aggregate score. At the time of Henry's unpunished handball, the match was 17 minutes from reaching a penalty shootout.

"If that result remains, it reinforces the view that if you cheat you will win," said Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern — who also pointed out that two French players appeared to be offsides on a free kick that preceded the goal.

"Millions of people worldwide saw it was a blatant double handball, not to mention a double offside," Ahern said. "We should put the powers that be in the cozy world of FIFA on the spot and demand a replay."

The Football Association of Ireland said it was still mulling whether to protest. But Irish assistant manager Liam Brady and several players appealed to France's sense of honor.

"If the game's going to survive, it's got to be an equal playing field," Brady said. "If we're going to have integrity and dignity in the world game, the game should be replayed. And we'll go to Paris to play it."

World Cup organizer Danny Jordaan told The Associated Press on Thursday that such incidents are "unfortunately a reality of the game ... and we have come to accept they happen every week."

Jordaan said allowing referees to defer to video replays is not a solution because it "still requires a judgment call by a human being."

Some Irish players accused Henry of lying when he told them that his handball had been accidental and instinctive, and criticized Swedish referee Martin Hansson for missing the infraction.

Irish left back Kevin Kilbane said replays showed conclusively that Henry "handballed it once and it's still going out of play, so he's handled it again to make sure it doesn't go out of play. ... I asked him on the pitch: Did you handball it? And he said, 'Yes — but I didn't mean it.'"

Kilbane said he also asked Hansson after the final whistle if he had seen the incident.

"He said: 'I can 100 percent say it wasn't handball.' When he said that to me, I knew full well that he was just lying to me because he hadn't even seen it."

Irish lawmaker Joe McHugh said France should follow the 1999 precedent set by Arsenal's French manager, Arsene Wenger, who volunteered to replay a match in England's FA Cup after Arsenal won on an unfair goal.

"Throughout the country today there is an air of bitterness. We were beaten unfairly and there is general disgust in France too," McHugh said. "Friends of mine who attended last night's game phoned me this morning from a cafe in Paris to report that the French people are ashamed and do not regard this as an honest victory."

Several Irish players were in tears after Wednesday's match and rued their own missed scoring chances after outplaying France for much of the night.

"We got robbed. ... We feel cheated. We were the better team," said Irish defender Sean St. Ledger.

Ahern said he doubted that soccer's world governing body FIFA would sanction a replay. He reflected the widespread Irish view that the sport's powers were biased in favor of ensuring France's qualification.

"They probably won't grant it as we are minnows in world football," Ahern said, "but let's put them on the spot anyway."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:54:14 AM by E-man »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
The Irish FA is claiming there is precedent as in 2005, FIFA ordered the replay of the Bahrain-Uzbekistan playoff following a technical error by the referee...  :o  :o  Mama!!

but we all know... nothing going to happen  :-\
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:05:13 AM »

Oh laaaawwwddd all yuh good idle!!...
 :rotfl: :rotfl:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Fifa is sponsored by Adidas... they have millions to make from those faggy Techfit shirts!

Come on is Platini the buller team that make it... yuh really thing UEFA cares... please They enduring jack stammering a congratulatory speech while sipping Grey Goose and Champagne!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
Henry shoulda said something to the ref.
The playoff was tied at the moment.
If the ref decided to disallow it based on that, they still had extra time to try and score.
If the ref let it stand, then at least Henry would have tried to right the situation.
That was spineless of him.
And makin a big show of goin to sit with Dunne, Dunne shoulda tell him to f**k off.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »
And makin a big show of goin to sit with Dunne, Dunne shoulda tell him to f**k off.

I agree.

And the Irish players want to blame FIFA, UEFA, the ref, the linesmen and everyone else.

But for some reason they're reluctant to point the finger at the person most responsible for their exit: Thierry Henry.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »
ireland shouldve won regardless...those two clear chances by duff and keane wouldve sealed it, but say wha...
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
IT SERIOUS!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Thierry_Henry&oldid=326715091

As a STROKEEEEEEEEEEE  :rotfl:. It eh d first time a tief goal score it eh go b last time. Get ovah it Ireland.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »

Nah Maradonna say it was d hand of God. Henry say iz he hand. Did I miss Crouch admisson of d Sancho thug.

Exactly

The smallest country to make it to a World Cup putting up a fight in a game then this English clown do that. Where was the uproar for the ruthless way Crouch pull Sancho hair.

Leave then English, Irish, Welch right where they is. Them always teefing from countries but when country thief from them they think the world should stop.

It good fuh them  :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »
Maybe FiFA should make them replay and settle it once and for all.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 11:43:43 AM »

(continue)

Where was all this from the English press when Crouch pulled Sancho hair?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 11:46:58 AM »

Exactly

The smallest country to make it to a World Cup putting up a fight in a game then this English clown do that. Where was the uproar for the ruthless way Crouch pull Sancho hair.

Leave then English, Irish, Welch right where they is. Them always teefing from countries but when country thief from them they think the world should stop.

Ok ah go say it....Crouch = English and White - Sancho = a lil black boy from a lil island had no right to have dreadlocks

So England "Deservedly" moved on  ;D

Henry = Nobody like the french anyway, plus he black  ::) - Ireland = well they are all white, mostly lol so that is utterly disrespectful to "cheat" against them  :devil:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »

Exactly

HYPOCRITES OF D HIGHEST ORDERRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 11:57:22 AM »

(continue)

Where was all this from the English press when Crouch pulled Sancho hair?

Where the man wit d cosign stamp I tink I ned a borrow 4 dis 1

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 12:05:51 PM »

I agree.

And the Irish players want to blame FIFA, UEFA, the ref, the linesmen and everyone else.

But for some reason they're reluctant to point the finger at the person most responsible for their exit: Thierry Henry.

Bull shit!  Henry under no obligation to walk to the ref and say I handled the ball!  NONE!

When players foul in the box. or tug shirts deliberately, and the ref makes a non-call, are those players supposed to stop the play, hold the ball and go walk up to the ref and say, "Damn it old chap, are you bloody blind?  Didn't you see me foul that French bloke?  Why didn't you give them a penalty you shit house wanker?"

It was the responsibility of those officiating the game to make the call!

STEUPS!

Why don't you go ask Bush and Cheney to come and tell the American people and the entire world that they illegally and with extreme prejudice to the truth, invaded Iraq under the false pretenses of seeking weapons of mass destruction...yuh damn agent of mass distraction?

I bet you wish you could water board Henry now eh?

Look at this   here is a prime example of a US paragon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_fATphz68
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:13:52 PM by Trinity Cross »

1]; } ?>