April 25, 2024, 04:46:37 PM

Author Topic: Henry admits handball  (Read 22651 times)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
roy 4 tnt coach
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 06:34:52 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8370327.stm

Roy Keane has no sympathy for Republic of Ireland exit
Roy Keane
Keane was typically robust when asked about the Republic's appeal

Roy Keane has lambasted the Republic of Ireland's attempts to get their controversial World Cup play-off match against France replayed.

The Republic appealed to Fifa after their 2-1 aggregate defeat by France on the basis that the winning goal came after a blatant Thierry Henry handball.

But Ipswich boss Keane said: "They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

"France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story."

The Irishman, who made 65 appearances for the Republic as a player, continued: "If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it.

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?

"These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.

"Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

606: DEBATE
Is Roy Keane right?

"They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish."

And Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan in 2002 when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

Keane has never forgiven Delaney for failing to contact him during the incident and misleading the media as to his whereabouts after his controversial exit from the tournament after the row with boss Mick McCarthy over facilities.

"People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man (FAI chief executive John Delaney) is on about honesty? I wouldn't take notice of anything that man says.

"I was one of the players at that World Cup and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me. I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have."

I tink dem boy on tnt team need some good boofin up.  i feel he could take we 2 brazil.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry admits handball
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:36 AM »
Shut up, you followed the post with  stating the Irish had a right to blame Henry and not the ref. 

Once again, since it's so difficult for you to grasp, I expressed my amazement at how the Irish are so reluctant to point a finger at Henry, but in no way did I state that Henry was obligated to admit his handball to the ref.

Learn to read, fool.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: roy 4 tnt coach
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8370327.stm

Roy Keane has no sympathy for Republic of Ireland exit
Roy Keane
Keane was typically robust when asked about the Republic's appeal

Roy Keane has lambasted the Republic of Ireland's attempts to get their controversial World Cup play-off match against France replayed.

The Republic appealed to Fifa after their 2-1 aggregate defeat by France on the basis that the winning goal came after a blatant Thierry Henry handball.

But Ipswich boss Keane said: "They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

"France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story."

The Irishman, who made 65 appearances for the Republic as a player, continued: "If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it.

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?

"These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.

"Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

606: DEBATE
Is Roy Keane right?

"They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish."

And Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan in 2002 when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

Keane has never forgiven Delaney for failing to contact him during the incident and misleading the media as to his whereabouts after his controversial exit from the tournament after the row with boss Mick McCarthy over facilities.

"People seem to forget what was going on in that World Cup, and that man (FAI chief executive John Delaney) is on about honesty? I wouldn't take notice of anything that man says.

"I was one of the players at that World Cup and he didn't have the courtesy to ring me. I'd been involved with Ireland since I was 15 years of age and that man didn't have the decency to make a phone call. He could have phoned me, of course he could have."

I tink dem boy on tnt team need some good boofin up.  i feel he could take we 2 brazil.

Agree wit yuh but JW need more boofin and Keane is d man 2 do dat so dat is y he eh go get d wuk.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »
I just want to make it clear...dat anybody who cussing any player for any perceived cheating will be referred back to this thread oui. De hypocrisy amazing.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:45 AM »
How do the tactical errors Ireland committed render Henry's violation unimportant ? Ireland did score a goal that was caused by schoolboy defending by France (The guy was absolutely free in the box). Football is a game of mistakes, you can point out a defensive error as the cause of most goals. He's right in saying there's no point in demanding a replay of the match though.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »
Henry - Replay would be fair
France striker insists he is not a cheat after controversial handball
skysports.com
Last updated: 20th November 2009 
Henry - Replay would be fair

Henry: Instinctive reaction

Thierry Henry has issued a statement in response to claims he 'cheated' to earn France a World Cup final place at the expense of the Republic of Ireland.

The striker handled the ball twice in the build-up to creating William Gallas' goal in extra-time on Wednesday night which earned France a 2-1 aggregate success.

Ireland's players were left enraged by the incident, leading to accusations that Henry is a 'cheat' and that the game should be replayed.

Fifa has confirmed the match will not be allowed to take place again and, while Henry feels a replay would be the fairest solution, he is adamant he did not deliberately cheat.

Here is Henry's statement in full:

"I have said at the time and I will say again that yes I handled the ball.

"I am not a cheat and never have been. It was an instinctive reaction to a ball that was coming extremely fast in a crowded penalty area.

"As a footballer you do not have the luxury of the television to slow the pace of the ball down 100 times to be able to make a conscious decision.

"People are viewing a slow motion version of what happened and not what I or any other footballer faces in the game.

"If people look at it in full speed you will see that it was an instinctive reaction. It is impossible to be anything other than that.

"I have never denied that the ball was controlled with my hand. I told the Irish players, the referee and the media this after the game.

"Naturally I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish who definitely deserve to be in South Africa.

"Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game, but it is not in my control.

"There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalising goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish."

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
Bull shit!  Henry under no obligation to walk to the ref and say I handled the ball!  NONE!

When players foul in the box. or tug shirts deliberately, and the ref makes a non-call, are those players supposed to stop the play, hold the ball and go walk up to the ref and say, "Damn it old chap, are you bloody blind?  Didn't you see me foul that French bloke?  Why didn't you give them a penalty you shit house wanker?"

It was the responsibility of those officiating the game to make the call!

You talkin real toots.  Players have an obligation to play fair.
Those that do what you outlined are cheats and bring the game into disrepute.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2009, 09:30:56 AM »
Bull shit!  Henry under no obligation to walk to the ref and say I handled the ball!  NONE!

When players foul in the box. or tug shirts deliberately, and the ref makes a non-call, are those players supposed to stop the play, hold the ball and go walk up to the ref and say, "Damn it old chap, are you bloody blind?  Didn't you see me foul that French bloke?  Why didn't you give them a penalty you shit house wanker?"

Dis is wha i trying to understand.

Men saying is de ref fault. If he did touch de ball once i woulda say it accidental. Buh twice showing how deliberate it was. And is de ref fault alone?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »

I would love for you 'all to get your "cheat" free football. I play fair, don't "cheat" , but this happens in football that's why it is the best sporting event in the world. If you want to see error free sports watch NFL , they use replay.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »

I would love for you 'all to get your "cheat" free football. I play fair, don't "cheat" , but this happens in football that's why it is the best sporting event in the world. If you want to see error free sports watch NFL , they use replay.

EXACTLYYYYYYYYYYY D SHOW MUST GO ON
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
How do the tactical errors Ireland committed render Henry's violation unimportant ? Ireland did score a goal that was caused by schoolboy defending by France (The guy was absolutely free in the box). Football is a game of mistakes, you can point out a defensive error as the cause of most goals. He's right in saying there's no point in demanding a replay of the match though.

Keane don't care about France, he is speaking to and about Ireland. He is showing what they should be focussing on. He is right, the two technical mistakes he pointed out are very valid and Ireland needs to beat themselves a little. Henry lose 2 defenders on his way to the ball.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »

peong like you does watch moral and not football?

Shirt tugging, diving etc. are all part of the game, professional fouls too.  I saw in our won build up to germany 2006, our defenders committing what are called professional fouls.  One time  aman break away from Tallest and he haul de man down..man on way to goal...Lawrence get carded..what is the difference between that a hand ball?  Both unfair advantages,,one stopping a sure goal and one causing a sure goal?

Steups..Is de f**king ref and de linesman...dat is dem job to see de fouls and call dem..if dat was not de case...dey would not have officials as everyone ALWAYS play fair.  right?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »

So cheat den?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »

Oh I know cheating happens, but in no way does cheating make football the best sporting event in the world.
I don't know why you said that part, probably it was in error.

Today ppl can ignore the few instances where players cheat ONLY because, luckily for us, the amount of players that deliberately try to cheat are in the minority.
Now picture a game where the majority of players tryin a ting.
The ref would be helpless, and the game would be disgusting.

And in case ppl haven't noticed, cheating through simulation, diving, disguised fouls is on the increase.
If unchecked, what I said above is where the game is headed.

Stay there and feel that they not goin to do something about it!
Video replay, goal line sensors, an additional ref assistant, they ARE going to do something to reduce refereeing errors.

Probably in a couple years we will look back at Henry's handball and see that it helped make the game better by highlighting the inadequacies in refereeing today.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »

So cheat den?

No have betta officials because cheatin go happen just like d sun go rise

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
My name is FF and I does cheat in all kinda games!

I know I wrong but if I get away I get away... If I get catch i does laugh, take meh punishment if any and move on.

I does dive up to this day in football, I does bawl for the ref, I clear ball from inside de goal endless time and keep it moving... I hands ball and never own up to it. I commit professional fouls.

In card games I does hide cards, I does watch in people hand and I will argue for everything.

I does speed.. if i see a police i does slow down... sometimes not. Then I does show up to court and swear your honour de man lie... I was driving slow!

This is my confession... get away with what you can in life yes
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
Forget Irish Football Altogether   :rotfl: :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2009, 11:40:35 AM »

So cheat den?

If that's what you get from what I type, then fine.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

Oh I know cheating happens, but in no way does cheating make football the best sporting event in the world.
I don't know why you said that part, probably it was in error.

Today ppl can ignore the few instances where players cheat ONLY because, luckily for us, the amount of players that deliberately try to cheat are in the minority.
Now picture a game where the majority of players tryin a ting.
The ref would be helpless, and the game would be disgusting.

And in case ppl haven't noticed, cheating through simulation, diving, disguised fouls is on the increase.
If unchecked, what I said above is where the game is headed.

Stay there and feel that they not goin to do something about it!
Video replay, goal line sensors, an additional ref assistant, they ARE going to do something to reduce refereeing errors.

Probably in a couple years we will look back at Henry's handball and see that it helped make the game better by highlighting the inadequacies in refereeing today.

I did not say that cheating makes football the Number one sports in the world.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

So by his own admission the reaction was instinctive... which I'm sure many will still question.  What should he have done after handling the ball... go talk to the ref?  And what then... seeing that he said (again, disbelieve him if you want) he approached the ref and the ref wasn't moved by his confession?

Aside from not instinctively handling the ball... how was he not playing fair?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
My name is FF and I does cheat in all kinda games!

I know I wrong but if I get away I get away... If I get catch i does laugh, take meh punishment if any and move on.

I does dive up to this day in football, I does bawl for the ref, I clear ball from inside de goal endless time and keep it moving... I hands ball and never own up to it. I commit professional fouls.

In card games I does hide cards, I does watch in people hand and I will argue for everything.

I does speed.. if i see a police i does slow down... sometimes not. Then I does show up to court and swear your honour de man lie... I was driving slow!

This is my confession... get away with what you can in life yes

mr manning?  ;D
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
So by his own admission the reaction was instinctive... which I'm sure many will still question.  What should he have done after handling the ball... go talk to the ref?  And what then... seeing that he said (again, disbelieve him if you want) he approached the ref and the ref wasn't moved by his confession?

I agree, it's easy to say: "He should have gone to the ref and admitted it." But I think that very few would have done so in his position. Way too much at stake.

In fact, I have a very hard time believing that he confessed to the ref, too. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:03:18 PM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
Don't be so quick to judge Henry

This one's easy. Thierry Henry is a cheat. He helped France cheat its way to the 2010 World Cup by intentionally handling the ball to control it before crossing it for William Gallas to score les Bleus' equalizer in extra time against Ireland on Wednesday.

The Swedish referee, Martin Hansson, failed to spot the infraction and Henry did nothing to suggest he had handled the ball. That goal proved decisive, given that France had won the first leg at Croke Park in Dublin last Saturday.

Open and shut? Logically, yes. Ireland was screwed, plain and simple. We may never know what would have happened if the goal had not stood and if the game had gone to penalty kicks. But in many ways, it doesn't matter. It should never have reached the point because Gallas' goal should have been disallowed.

(continue)

- Xavi

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »

Aside from not instinctively handling the ball... how was he not playing fair?

Aside from the handball?  Nothing else was really unfair. Why?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »
Aside from the handball?  Nothing else was really unfair. Why?

Because if you believe him the handball wasn't intentional so you can't say that he played the game "unfair".  In slow mo it looks deliberate enough but at regular speed it's not as definitive.  To speak about playing the game "fair/unfair" is to speak to his intent.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:53:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5706378,00.html

Fifa rule out Ireland replay
Irish left to rue decision as France assured of World Cup place

Last updated: 20th November 2009   

Decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final.
Fifa.

Fifa has confirmed that under no circumstances will Republic of Ireland's World Cup play-off with France be replayed.

Wednesday's second-leg clash in Paris has been the subject of intense scrutiny as France progressed courtesy of a 2-1 aggregate success, secured in extra-time largely thanks to Thierry Henry's now infamous double handball prior to William Gallas' leveller on the night.

The Football Association of Ireland had asked Fifa to replay the game as even Henry conceded he had handled the ball before laying on Gallas' equaliser, which booked France's place in South Africa.

Ireland received widespread sympathy throughout the football fraternity following a gutsy display in the French capital, with a number of key figures championing their cause for a replay.

Final

However, such a request has been given short shrift by world football's governing body Fifa, who insist a referee's decision is final in rejecting the FAI's appeal.

"Fifa has today, 20 November 2009, replied to the request made by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) to replay the 2010 Fifa World Cup South Africa play-off match held on 18 November 2009 between France and the Republic of Ireland in Paris," read an official statement from Fifa.

"In the reply, Fifa states that the result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed.

"As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final."

Fifa's response will now be considered by the FAI's board of management, which sits for a pre-arranged meeting on Friday afternoon.

The FAI said in a statement: "Football Association of Ireland today confirmed that it has received correspondence from FIFA rejecting the Association's request for a replay of the World Cup play-off match between France and the Republic of Ireland.

"A previously scheduled meeting of the FAI board of management will take place this afternoon where the matter will be considered.

"No further comment will be made until this meeting has concluded."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5707753,00.html

The Football Association of Ireland have launched a fresh plea with their French counterparts to agree to a replay of their controversial play-off match.

Thierry Henry's blatant handball in the build up to William Gallas' goal which sent France through to the World Cup at the Republic of Ireland's expense has been the subject of much debate since Wednesday night.

A 1-1 draw on a pulstaing night in the Stade de France proved to be enough for the hosts, with Nicolas Anelka's away goal from the first leg in Croke Park helping to see them through.

Ireland, however, are refusing to let the handball issue lie, believing Henry's disregard for the rules should not prevent them the right to contest at the finals.

Football's governing body Fifa have already rejected an appeal for a replay but with the offending player, and France captain, Henry admitting that a replay would be just, the FAI have renewed hope that a deal can be struck.

The Irish are hoping a plea from both associations, plus both team captains, will help sway Fifa's stance over the prospect of replaying the second leg at in Paris.
A statement from the Board of Management of the FAI read: "Following this afternoon's meeting of its Board of Management, the Football Association of Ireland has called on the French Football Federation, as one of the world's largest Football Associations, to join with it and the captains of both the French and Irish teams, Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane, to request a replay from FIFA that would protect the integrity of the game worldwide and the pride of the French national team."

The FFF, embarrassed by the manner in which their nation have qualified for South Africa, have insisted they will comply with any decision Fifa make on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:03:08 PM by socachatter »
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2009, 02:03:01 PM »
FIFA: No replay for France-Ireland WCup qualifier
By STUART CONDIE (AP) – 58 minutes ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hwMuuwpEKYqfZPSXAuzgzU2D5nSAD9C3EE9G0

LONDON — FIFA rejected Ireland's request to replay its World Cup qualifier against France on Friday, while Thierry Henry said a rematch would be "the fairest solution" to resolve the furor over his extra-time hand ball that set up the deciding goal.

Turning down an appeal by the Football Association of Ireland as well as pressure from lawmakers in both countries, FIFA said it could not interfere and the referee's decision to allow the goal stands.
"The result of the match cannot be changed and the match cannot be replayed," FIFA said in a statement. "As is clearly mentioned in the Laws of the Game, during matches, decisions are taken by the referee and these decisions are final."

Henry used his left hand to keep the ball from going out of play, then passed to William Gallas, who headed in the decisive goal. At the time of Henry's hand ball, which went unpunished by Swedish referee Martin Hansson despite fervent appeals by Ireland players, the match was 17 minutes from reaching a penalty shootout.
The 1-1 draw at Stade de France put the French through to next year's World Cup in South Africa 2-1 on aggregate.

Henry was jubilant in his goal celebrations but more subdued at the end of the match and admitted to handling the ball.

The France captain said after the game that the referee was at fault for not spotting the offense but waited until after FIFA's ruling to acknowledge the possibility of a replay.

"Of course the fairest solution would be to replay the game, but it is not in my control," Henry said in a statement issued to British media. "Naturally, I feel embarrassed at the way that we won and feel extremely sorry for the Irish, who definitely deserve to be in South Africa.

"There is little more I can do apart from admit that the ball had contact with my hand leading up to our equalizing goal and I feel very sorry for the Irish."

Henry again denied deliberately handling the ball, although television replays suggested he slapped the ball once to stop it going out of play and again to set up the pass to Gallas.

The 1998 world champions won the first leg of the playoff in Dublin 1-0, but only scored with the aid of a huge deflection off an Ireland defender.

Ireland captain Robbie Keane suggested the French Football Federation act upon Henry's statement and ask FIFA to grant a replay.

"To make such a statement took courage and honor, and all of us recognize that," Keane said. "I would also be happy for a replay to happen in the interest of fair play so that whichever team qualifies, can do so with their heads held high."

The Football Association of Ireland in Dublin said Friday it will petition the French Football Federation to change its stance after it received FIFA's reply rejecting a replay.

Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen raised the issue Thursday with French President Nicolas Sarkozy at a meeting of the 27 EU leaders in Brussels.

FIFA did order Uzbekistan and Bahrain to replay a World Cup qualifying match in 2005 following a referee's critical error. However, there is no precedent to order a replay because of second-guessing a referee's judgment on the field of play.

Irish lawmaker Joe McHugh said France should follow the 1999 precedent set by Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, a Frenchman who volunteered to replay a match in England's FA Cup after the Gunners won on an unfair goal.

Wenger backed calls to replay the match.

"I like justice in sport," Wenger said. "There are only two opportunities. One is France can offer to replay, which I support personally. The second is that FIFA has to make a decision on that issue."

Many in France, including political leaders, have urged FIFA to approve a replay.

Francois Bayrou, the leader of political party Modem, said the match should be replayed. Finance Minister Christine Lagarde said she felt "very sad" that the national team had qualified for the World Cup by "cheating."

AP Sports Writer Samuel Petrequin in Paris contributed to this report.
Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2009, 02:12:32 PM »
Bake I was responding to the comment about the hackers and slashers in football that some fool (oh it was Trinity Cross) made.
I made no insinuation that Henry plays the game or that particular game unfairly.
It was a moment, he unintentionally handled the ball, and was happy to let it slip under the radar.

He wasn't obligated to do anything to try to change the ref's decision, and when it mattered, he didn't.
He felt guilty after OR knew that he would be lambasted once ppl saw the replay, so he probably said something.

TV replays for disputed goals/sendings off, I will support that fully.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »
From what I read online today the ball might actually be in the FFF's court.  FIFA can't mandate a replay under the circumstances, but apparently can relent if the FFF agrees to one.  I think the game should be replayed... at least that way we can quit hearing about these damn crying-ass Irish fans and they 'cheating' talk.

Tommy Smyth on ESPN makes a compelling argument about the financial lift Ireland would have gained from making the final though...

-------------------

Peong... I hear yuh.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:15:21 PM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>