April 28, 2024, 07:26:53 PM

Author Topic: New Zealand 2010 - T&T 2006  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
New Zealand 2010 - T&T 2006
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
New Zealand 2010 - T&T 2006
By Harmit Singh Kamboe (indianfootball.com)

The FIFA World Cup is about watching the best teams and players as it is about watching teams from smaller far off countries that one does not normally associate with football or the global stage.

In the 2006 World Cup, the presence of Trinidad & Tobago, the southern most island in the Caribbean with a population of slightly over 1.3 million was an eye opener. In the 2010 World Cup, it will be the presence of New Zealand (population of slightly more than 4.3 million) will add some exotic element to the World Cup.

There seem to be two key factors that assisted both Trinidad & Tobago in 2006 and New Zealand in 2010 in their journey.

1. Overseas Players

T&T, as Trinidad & Tobago is also fondly called, relied on players that mostly play in Europe and can claim only some parental lineage to the islands in 2006 to make it to Germany.
The same is true of New Zealand, many of their players ply their trade in Europe, especially England, and the MLS in North America. But both teams made their chances by good planning and foresight.

2. Some Planning & Some Luck

The qualification format also favoured New Zealand and T&T. In the Oceania group New Zealand only had to overcome Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Fiji were perhaps the only threat in that group.

After coming through their group, the All Whites (as the Kiwi football team is known) played Bahrain for the play off spot that exists between Asia and Oceania. The Kiwis brought home a goalless draw from the Middle East and then on Saturday, November 14 the WestPac stadium was filled with 35,000 vocal supporters wearing white.
New Zealand scored a goal of a corner kick in the 45th minute by Rory Fallon. Bahrain could have levelled the score of a penalty awarded in the 51st minute and won on the "away" goal rule but the penalty was wasted.

On the road to the 2006 World Cup, T&T tied 0-0 with Costa Rica, beat Panama 2-0, beat Guatemala 3-2, beat Mexico 2-1, and beat Bahrain 1-0 (after tying 1-1 with Bahrain in the previous leg) amongst some losses. Beating Mexico and some of these Central American countries was no mean feat.

Bahrain have been one game away from making the World Cup twice in a row now. As a nation of 1.05 million people with 0.5 million foreigners, they perhaps represent the best example of what a good football program can achieve.

Bahrain play in the AFC playoffs for the 4.5 spots and in order to meet New Zealand they had to put up a respectable effort (did not lose by hefty margins) against Australia and Japan who were placed in their group. Bahrain beat Uzbekistan and Qatar in their group to meet Saudi Arabia in a playoff and then defeat them for the right to meet the All Whites for might have been their first trip to the World Cup.

Our own Indian football program is unfortunately a long way from yielding any of these kind of results on a consistent, long term basis. But we hope that with the key AIFF appointments soon to be filled, we get people that will communicate with Indian football fans with a real plan and not just dreams and visions.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand 2010 - T&T 2006
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »
What is the point of this article?

The qulaification format favored T&T? Someone need to send him the full T&T schedule (Hex & non-Hex games) with results leading up to Bahrain and a roster showing where everyone was born.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
Poorly written.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »
Poorly written.

and researched. There is little if any similarity between New Zealand's and our qualification campaigns. And I agree not sure what point was being made.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
Poorly written.

and researched. There is little if any similarity between New Zealand's and our qualification campaigns. And I agree not sure what point was being made.

D country that does come tru d back door could b anybody. Maybe dat is d pt.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
Of all the noise people raising I surprise nobody mention this nugget:

T&T, as Trinidad & Tobago is also fondly called, relied on players that mostly play in Europe and can claim only some parental lineage to the islands in 2006 to make it to Germany.

I literally almost stop reading to go to the site and manners him... but ah decide against doing it, until ah finish posting that is.  He clearly facking clueless.

----------------

EDIT:  Here is his address should anyone else feel motivated enough to correct him

harmit.kamboe@indianfootball.com
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:06:10 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »

I literally almost stop reading to go to the site and manners him... but ah decide against doing it, until ah finish posting that is.  He clearly facking clueless.

----------------

EDIT:  Here is his address should anyone else feel motivated enough to correct him

harmit.kamboe@indianfootball.com

So Flex I just give d man d link to this site so next time he go know what he talkin bout.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
stick to cricket mamoo.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »
stick to cricket mamoo.

THOUGHT D SAME TING  :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 06:08:10 PM »
Dear Bakes,

Many thanks for your email and pointing out the facts. I will endeavor to do much deeper and more accurate research in the future.

Please rest assured that no dis-respect was intended to the Trinidad football federation or any one else for that matter.

Best Regards

Harmit

----------------

Ah tell him anytime he want info tuh hit we up... and Flex and Tallman in particular, lol

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 06:29:06 PM »
Many thanks for your email, providing additional information and for referring me to the Socawarriors web site.

Best Regards

Harmit

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »

Yeah, dat did jump up and slap me in mih face too but fuh me it was just another nail in he coffin!! At least he seem to handle the e-mail from you and weary well and hopefully he go do a better job in future.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>