March 28, 2024, 05:17:07 PM

Author Topic: Couple crashed Obama's state dinner  (Read 5362 times)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Couple crashed Obama's state dinner
« on: November 26, 2009, 09:35:59 AM »
Now if some Trini has the balls to crash ah Commonwealth Heads of Government dinner......  :P

Feds: Couple crashed Obama's state dinner
November 26, 2009 9:17 a.m. EST
CNN.com

Secret Service: Tareq and Michaele Salahi attended state dinner without invitations Michaele Salahi's Facebook page shows pictures of couple with vice president Couple are polo-playing socialites from northern Virginia, Washington Post reports Proper procedures weren't followed at security checkpoint, Secret Service says Washington (CNN) -- Two people without invitations crashed President Obama's first White House state dinner, the U.S. Secret Service said Wednesday.

The Secret Service confirmed a Washington Post report that the couple who crashed Tuesday night's dinner were Tareq and Michaele Salahi. The Post described the couple as polo-playing socialites from northern Virginia.

A Secret Service checkpoint "did not follow proper procedures" to determine if the two were on the guest list for the dinner, said Edwin M. Donovan, a Secret Service special agent, in a statement.

Playing down any security threat, Donovan's statement said: "It is important to note that these individuals went through magnetometers and other levels of security, as did all guests attending the dinner."

The incident represents a security breach for the White House at the Obama administration's biggest social event to date. More than 300 guests, including Cabinet members, diplomats and Hollywood celebrities, attended the dinner in honor of visiting Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"The Secret Service has tasked our Office of Professional Responsibility with conducting a comprehensive review of the incident," Donovan's statement said.

Video footage of the dinner showed the couple walking past journalists into the event. On Wednesday, Michaele Salahi's Facebook page included photos of the couple at the dinner, including two pictures with Vice President Joe Biden and another with Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, who was identified on the page as "Ron" Emanuel.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Couple crashed Obama's state dinner
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
Now if some Trini has the balls to crash ah Commonwealth Heads of Government dinner......  :P

COSIGNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Dem is de ultimate stormers

Dem two will get yuh inside Panorama finals easy easy
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
Dem is de ultimate stormers

Dem two will get yuh inside Panorama finals easy easy

ENTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »

Secret service shud really be ashamed. if dem was two terrorist dat come to kill obama now.  steups!

loose an careless on their part
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:15:49 PM »

Secret service shud really be ashamed. if dem was two terrorist dat come to kill obama now.  steups!

Now this i will COSIGN!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »

Now this i will COSIGN!

Welcome 2 d club I C Cosign on caribbeancricket.com

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »

They don't have anything to protect.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
November 28, 2009

Uninvited Pair Met Obama; Secret Service Offers Apology

By HELENE COOPER and BRIAN STELTER

WASHINGTON — President Obama and his wife, Michelle, had a face-to-face encounter with the couple who sneaked into a state dinner at the White House this week, White House officials acknowledged on Friday. The revelation underscored the seriousness of the security breach and prompted an abject apology from the Secret Service.

A White House spokesman said that the couple, Michaele and Tareq Salahi of Virginia, met and shook hands with the president and the first lady in the receiving line in the Blue Room, as the Obamas greeted each of their 400 invited guests Tuesday night before moving to a tent on the South Lawn for dinner.

That disclosure coincided with a statement from the director of the Secret Service, Mark Sullivan, saying that his agency was “deeply concerned and embarrassed” by the events. Secret Service officials said the agency wanted to interview everyone connected with the episode, including the Salahis, and had not ruled out criminal charges.

“The preliminary findings of our internal investigation have determined established protocols were not followed at an initial checkpoint, verifying that two individuals were on the guest list,” Mr. Sullivan said.

“Although these individuals went through magnetometers and other levels of screening, they should have been prohibited from entering the event entirely,” Mr. Sullivan said. “That failing is ours.”

On Friday night, the White House released a photograph of the couple in the receiving line, being greeted by Mr. Obama. In the photo, a smiling Mrs. Salahi, wearing a red and gold sari, is clasping Mr. Obama’s hand with both of hers, as her husband looks on. The prime minister of India, Manmohan Singh, is standing next to Mr. Obama.

Mrs. Salahi’s Facebook page has photographs of the couple with officials including Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff. It is not known who took the pictures.

The couple’s lawyer, Paul W. Gardner of Baltimore, asserts that the Salahis had been “cleared, by the White House,” to be at the event, and so were not really “crashing.” Mr. Gardner declined a request to elaborate on his assertion.

But a Secret Service spokesman, James Mackin, said he had no idea how Mr. Gardner could make such a claim.

For their part, White House officials took pains to publicly refrain from criticizing the Secret Service.

“The men and women of the Secret Service put their lives on the line every day to protect us; they are heroes, and they have the full confidence of the president of United States,” said Nick Shapiro, a White House spokesman. “The White House asked the United States Secret Service to do a full review, and they are doing that. The United States Secret Service said they made a mistake, and they are taking action to identify exactly what happened, and they will take the appropriate measures pending the results of their investigation.”

Domestic security experts said that the episode raised serious questions about protection for the president. Ronald Kessler, author of “In the President’s Secret Service: Behind the Scenes With Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect,” said threats against the president had increased 400 percent since Mr. Obama took office.

On Friday, agents went to a Virginia winery founded by Mr. Salahi’s father in search of the couple, one administration official said. A phone call to the establishment, Oasis Winery in Hume, Va., was not returned. The winery’s ownership has been the subject of extensive litigation involving disputes within the family. The Salahis and the winery were saddled with hundreds of thousands of dollars of unpaid bills, according to bankruptcy and legal findings in Virginia.

Mr. and Mrs. Salahi, who are known in the area to have a taste for polo and fine wine, are aspiring reality-show celebrities. For months, the couple have been trailed by camera crews with the cable channel Bravo, as it prepared for a new show, “The Real Housewives of D.C.”

Seemingly distancing itself from the Salahis’ actions, Bravo said Friday that it would not comment about “ongoing investigations.” Earlier, the channel said that while its cameras were filming the Salahis before the dinner, producers were told by the couple that they had been invited to it.

The Salahis have not officially been selected for the “Housewives” show.

“The decision as to who will be included in the series will not be made for several months,” Bravo said Friday.

By the sometimes twisted logic of reality TV, it is hard to tell whether the publicity surrounding the state dinner would help or hinder the couple’s goals.

For the breakout stars of the multicity “Housewives” franchise, reality television is a full-time — and lucrative — job. Between per-episode fees, endorsements and public appearances, “Housewives” cast members can net six-figure salaries, said a producer with knowledge of the franchise.

In a brutal economy, fortune is an even bigger motivator than fame for many aspiring reality television contestants, producers and researchers say.

Financial hardships were clearly a factor for the Heene family of Fort Collins, Colo., who gained nationwide attention last month when they claimed that their child had floated away on a homemade flying saucer. According to a police affidavit, the Heenes were working with a production company to pitch a television series to networks at the time. The parents pleaded guilty in the case this month.

Both reality television and the Internet have trained people “to brand themselves, to distribute themselves, to get themselves out there,” said James Hay, a communications professor at the University of Illinois and a co-author of the book “Better Living Through Reality TV.”

David Stout contributed reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/28/us/politics/28crasher.html?_r=1&hp

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
Secret service offers apology??  Apology??  Men eh get fired yet??!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:44:29 PM »
I still waiting to hear what they planning to do with the stormers. But right now dey headline news is Tiger, he wife with the outside oman....steupse!!!

America priorities in tact I tell ya!!! >:(

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »
I still waiting to hear what they planning to do with the stormers. But right now dey headline news is Tiger, he wife with the outside oman....steupse!!!

I didn't know Tiger wife with an outside oman. What site is that on?  :devil:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 07:04:56 PM »

What??!!....I knew it!!...I knew something didn't sound right.....ah man just so, just so at 2 am back he SUV onto he driveway and straight into a hydrant and a tree and WASN'T drunk while doing it....ah know dat story didn't done...

Come Cana....where dat headlining??....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

so what you want them to do with the stormers?

you eh understand the great thing about this storming thing or what? They didnt force their way onto the white house premises and its not like they were trespassing.. as a matter of fact they were welcomed inside and treated as guests.

Is not their fault that nobody checked the guest list and stopped them at the door, i mean is there some law against showing up to a party uninvited and getting welcomed inside? look they said they were cleared to attend, for all you know they get a bly from somebody on the inside..

personally, i applaud them.. as a proponent of the art of storming they talking to my core principles.. lol

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
Didn't they attend under false pretenses? Or that doh matter?

I thought it was some american offence to walk ein the White House/grounds without prior notification.
....my bad!! :-\

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
so what you want them to do with the stormers?

you eh understand the great thing about this storming thing or what? They didnt force their way onto the white house premises and its not like they were trespassing.. as a matter of fact they were welcomed inside and treated as guests.

Is not their fault that nobody checked the guest list and stopped them at the door, i mean is there some law against showing up to a party uninvited and getting welcomed inside? look they said they were cleared to attend, for all you know they get a bly from somebody on the inside..

personally, i applaud them.. as a proponent of the art of storming they talking to my core principles.. lol

Of course they were trespassing.  They were never 'welcomed' inside, they gained entry under false pretences, not the least of which being lying to federal law enforcement officers about having invitations. 

--------------------

Brownsugar I'm sure some form of discipline still forthcoming, if it haven't already been meted out, but I don't think the officers deserve to be fired... at least I hope they're not.  They'll probably end up on embassy duty somewhere in DC, or worse... on counterfeit duty.  Sure bet regardless that they'll be removed from White House duty and any aspirations of Presidential detail down the line can be forgotten. 

People make mistakes and the flaws in the system need to be corrected... but I could easily see these two officers not wanting to cause a potentially international scene by turning away some dignitary at the gates over some guest list mix up.  Not condoning the error in judgment, but sometimes we make snap decisions that aren't the best in hindsight.  They need to be disciplined for not following protocol and denying admission to anyone not on the list.. and for the embarrassment to the Agency.  I don't think they should be fired for what "might" have happened though.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:47 AM »

Of course is money involve wit Tiger so peeps intrested in whether he go loose d endorsements.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:24:45 AM »
Brownsugas and Lion
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=47276.new#new

Allyuh late like dey blimp  ;D

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
Brownsugas and Lion
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=47276.new#new

Allyuh late like dey blimp  ;D

Nah d blimp does b early is just when dey c d ting in d sky dey bmobile phone doh wuk and if it wuk nobody does answer in d police station and if dey get a respond d police eh have no car.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »

Feds: Couple crashed Obama's state dinner
November 26, 2009 9:17 a.m. EST
CNN.com

Secret Service: Tareq and Michaele Salahi attended state dinner without invitations Michaele Salahi's Facebook page shows pictures of couple with vice president Couple are polo-playing socialites from northern Virginia, Washington Post reports Proper procedures weren't followed at security checkpoint, Secret Service says Washington (CNN) -- Two people without invitations crashed President Obama's first White House state dinner, the U.S. Secret Service said Wednesday.

The Secret Service confirmed a Washington Post report that the couple who crashed Tuesday night's dinner were Tareq and Michaele Salahi. The Post described the couple as polo-playing socialites from northern Virginia.

A Secret Service checkpoint "did not follow proper procedures" to determine if the two were on the guest list for the dinner, said Edwin M. Donovan, a Secret Service special agent, in a statement.

Playing down any security threat, Donovan's statement said: "It is important to note that these individuals went through magnetometers and other levels of security, as did all guests attending the dinner."

The incident represents a security breach for the White House at the Obama administration's biggest social event to date. More than 300 guests, including Cabinet members, diplomats and Hollywood celebrities, attended the dinner in honor of visiting Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"The Secret Service has tasked our Office of Professional Responsibility with conducting a comprehensive review of the incident," Donovan's statement said.

Video footage of the dinner showed the couple walking past journalists into the event. On Wednesday, Michaele Salahi's Facebook page included photos of the couple at the dinner, including two pictures with Vice President Joe Biden and another with Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, who was identified on the page as "Ron" Emanuel.

Those people had to get through soo many security at different levels that it is not by chance they get in the party and "EVEN" shake Barack hand.

That is people sending ah message to Barack Obama that says

"We could get you anytime we want"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »
Those people had to get through soo many security at different levels that it is not by chance they get in the party and "EVEN" shake Barack hand.

Allyuh conspiracy theorist does even bother reading facts before allyuh post?  Is only ONE level of security they had to get thru... the pedestrian entrance (after failing to get thru the vehicle entrance).  At the pedestrian entrance was all kinda madness... security checking fuh ID in the dark... man allowed inside and told to stand off to the side and wait before going someplace else to get scanned... instead of being checked right there at the gate.  There was a security breakdown... that's all it was.  All this other hinting at inside help stuff is nothing but rank speculation, right up there with the "birthers" and them.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
this has to be considered up there with the best storms of all time  ;D

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
hmmm I dunno. I think we should rename them as crashers, and not stormers. For me, stormers are self made talents who could scale over gate without getting dey clothes rip. Who could crawl under fence without dutting dey clothes. Who could out run police dog and still be able to reach front and center ah dey stage at Skinners' Park OR PSA grounds for fete EVERY year...dat is ah unique talent ;D

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »
  Is only ONE level of security they had to get thru... the pedestrian entrance (after failing to get thru the vehicle entrance). 

uuuuuummmmm Bakes, even before I read the article I'd heard on a news cast that at the initial security check point they were allowed to continue on cuz it was thought that if they were indeed imposters they'd be caught at another check point...also this from the article above seems to confirm that....

........ :-\ :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »
  Is only ONE level of security they had to get thru... the pedestrian entrance (after failing to get thru the vehicle entrance). 

uuuuuummmmm Bakes, even before I read the article I'd heard on a news cast that at the initial security check point they were allowed to continue on cuz it was thought that if they were indeed imposters they'd be caught at another check point...also this from the article above seems to confirm that....

Note that statement was made in the earlies... note what other guests had to say about the security that night.

...Meanwhile, several invited guests who had entered the White House through the same entrance as the Salahis said the Secret Service’s normal security check-in process, familiar to many of them, had been haphazard.

They said Secret Service guards had not directed the visitors through the guardhouse with its metal detector and X-ray screeners, located just inside the east entrance. Instead, after guards glanced at ID cards in the dark, they waited in a chilly mist outside the East Wing portico. Then they were funneled to a portable metal detector but no X-ray scanner for checking other belongings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/us/politics/29party.html?ref=politics

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
ALL the Security Service personel at the east entrance were REPUBLICANS :P
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »

Allyuh conspiracy theorist does even bother reading facts before allyuh post?  Is only ONE level of security they had to get thru... the pedestrian entrance (after failing to get thru the vehicle entrance).  At the pedestrian entrance was all kinda madness... security checking fuh ID in the dark... man allowed inside and told to stand off to the side and wait before going someplace else to get scanned... instead of being checked right there at the gate.  There was a security breakdown... that's all it was.  All this other hinting at inside help stuff is nothing but rank speculation, right up there with the "birthers" and them.

Bakes Bakes Bakes

If yuh want facts then look at history and in particular the history of the United States of America towards Black people and Black men in particular.

You can't be serious to think that it is conspiracy just because there are news reports that say security was security breakdown. Believe that if you want

It was conspiracy for the during the Tuskegee experiment, you think they didn't know Malcolm X was going to be killed, Martin Luther King, and many others that have been directly affected by the Gov't actions.

Yuh that nieve to think that the 1st Black President of the US is not at risk for being killed.

Yuh think everybody around Obama love him, everybody in the CIA, the FBI, the Military, the Police, yuh really think it that difficult for them have a few security lapses and take him out in one ah them.  People didn't just crash the White House they walk up to Obama and shake he hand. They make it all the way to standing right in front of the man.

Based on history I don't see how you think it is ah conspiracy theory to think that they might just have had ah practice run.

I just refuse to believe that you think that is conspiracy first of all (when history will validate such a posibility) and secondly to think it is "right up there with the "birthers"

And since you mentioned "birthers" is it conspiracy to think that "birthers" exist in the Secret Service, FBI, CIA or yuh think it exclusive to only Red Necks?

I am voicing my thoughts based on history. What is the history of the "birthers?" They have any history to go on?

So you stick to reading newspapers, I will stick to reading history books  :beermug:

And Barack will be wise to also pay attention to history

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »
Nothing yuh say there^^^ have anything to do with "facts".  Fact is that high profile black men have been killed in the US, and fact is that controversial Presidents have been assassinated... Obama is both.  So yeah... that is prime conspiracy theory fodder to say that he's a prime target.  In fact believe it or not Bush was an even bigger target than Obama, b/c not only did he alienate half the US population, he alienated most of the Arab world, and most of the world at that.  Unless yuh think the risk to US Presidents only come from within US borders.

You accuse me of being naive because I dismiss yuh assertion as the stuff of conspiracy theorists... yet what proof yuh offer up? None... nothing other than "history" lessons.  History would also show that Obama didn't thief the election.. he won it fair and convincingly.  History would show that the United States which saw the assassinations of JFK in 1963, MLK in 1964, Malcolm X in 1965 and RFK in 1968... isn't the same United States which elected Obama in 2008.

Could there be "birthers" in the Secret Service... sure, but I refuse to believe that they are anything more than a distinct minority, if anything.  Also, these weren't some secret mysterious couple that snuck into the event, but people who were fairly known commodities... which isn't to say that they were celebrities, but we know who they are and what they about.  dem was after nutten but publicity and not at all connected to some mission to perform a dry run on how to get close to Obaman to assassinate him.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:30 AM »

Note that statement was made in the earlies... note what other guests had to say about the security that night.

...Meanwhile, several invited guests who had entered the White House through the same entrance as the Salahis said the Secret Service’s normal security check-in process, familiar to many of them, had been haphazard.

They said Secret Service guards had not directed the visitors through the guardhouse with its metal detector and X-ray screeners, located just inside the east entrance. Instead, after guards glanced at ID cards in the dark, they waited in a chilly mist outside the East Wing portico. Then they were funneled to a portable metal detector but no X-ray scanner for checking other belongings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/us/politics/29party.html?ref=politics

oh ho  :o :o....but what de hell is this??!!
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:02 PM »
It happen again...

Harvey And Paula Darden, Unwitting Tourists, Attend White House Breakfast
BEN EVANS | 12/15/09 06:41 PM | 

WASHINGTON — It wasn't a state dinner, and they didn't crash it on purpose.

Still, a Georgia couple who showed up at the White House a day early for a tour somehow wound up at an invitation-only breakfast with President Barack Obama and the first lady. It left the White House once again explaining how people who were not on an event guest list wound up being ushered into the presidential mansion anyway.

The improbable adventure of Harvey and Paula Darden, Obama supporters from Hogansville, Ga., took place on Veterans Day, two weeks before Virginia socialites Tareq and Michaele Salahi infamously crashed the Obamas' state dinner for the prime minister of India.

The Dardens mistakenly showed up a day early for a tour scheduled through their congressman.

The White House and Secret Service both said the Dardens went through the appropriate security screenings and were allowed into the breakfast as a courtesy because there were no public tours the day they arrived.

That explanation was news to Harvey Darden, 67, a retired pharmacist, who said he and his wife never were told about the breakfast. They thought they were simply starting their tour until they were ushered into the East Room, offered a buffet spread and told they'd be meeting the president.

"The further we got into the White House, the more surprised we were," Darden told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "My wife looked at me and I looked at her, and I said, 'You know, I don't know if we're in the right place.'"

They approached a White House aide with their concern that they had veered off course but were told to "just go with the flow," Darden said.

"I felt kind of funny because I was the only man in the room that wasn't dressed in a coat and tie," he added. "I was just a plain tourist."

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said agents performed the same screening procedures on the Dardens that were used for other breakfast guests: They checked the Dardens' names and did a criminal background check – steps that were not taken for the Salahis at the Nov. 24 state dinner.

Because the Dardens were able to pass Secret Service vetting, they were allowed to attend the breakfast for veterans as a "nice gesture," White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said. He added that it's not unusual for White House staff to take people who are cleared in for tours to other events if there is space, including Marine One arrivals, East Room events and Rose Garden ceremonies.

Shapiro said the White House Office of Public Engagement, which Obama created to engage citizens in White House activities, was responsible for clearing in the Dardens, as well as the other breakfast guests. The social office handled admittance to the Indian state dinner.

On the morning the Dardens showed up, security officials working from a list of names began letting people inside. When the Dardens reached the checkpoint, they said they were told their names weren't on the list and were asked to present photo identifications and other information.

After waiting for agents to check their information, they were allowed in and directed into the East Room, where about 200 people were gathered for the breakfast.

The Dardens approached an aide who was mingling with guests.

"I told him, 'I don't think this is part of the White House tour,'" Darden said. "He said, 'No it's not. It's an invitation event for veterans.'"

The official, whose name and title Darden didn't remember, asked whether Darden was a veteran. Darden told him he was a Navy veteran, and the aide suggested he stay, Darden said.

So the Dardens served themselves at the buffet, and took their seats. Shortly thereafter, Barack and Michelle Obama arrived and began talking and getting photographs with guests at each table. Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, also stopped by.

Darden said it was "quite a treat" to meet the Obamas and the Bidens. But he remains puzzled about how he was escorted into a private breakfast – and he grew a little anxious after the Salahi episode exploded in the news.

The couple's only regret, Darden said, is that they haven't received a copy of that picture taken with the Obamas.

___

Associated Press writers Julie Pace and Eileen Sullivan contributed to this report.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>