April 27, 2024, 10:25:33 AM

Author Topic: George Bovell  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
George Bovell
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:20:21 AM »
He qualified joint 1st out of the prelims of the 50 and is now 6th after the semis heading into the finals. Finals will swim off early in the morning saturday tt time. The difference between 3rd and 8th after prelims was .14, so anything could happen.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: George Bovell
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
The difference between 3rd and 8th after prelims was .14, so anything could happen.

:o  TIGHT!!!
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
The difference between 3rd and 8th after prelims was .14, so anything could happen.

:o  TIGHT!!!

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
7th again, just like in Rome. This time though, a mere .14 from the silver medal. That's how close it was. Good try George!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:43:06 AM »
7th again, just like in Rome. This time though, a mere .14 from the silver medal. That's how close it was. Good try George!

.14 is a lot in a 50m final race these days.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »
Video of George's training.  :beermug:

http://t.co/HQ1o6nFM

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
Super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
Super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It puts my 20 minutes on the treadmill in perpective!  :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Athletes in individual sports like Tf/swimming have to be maniacs to get to top form. I really like the videography. I salute the guy. Go George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
Video of George's training.  :beermug:

http://t.co/HQ1o6nFM

I had no idea that level of roadwork is required for swimming

sadiss real wukkin dey, de man run so much even he dog bun out
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
Not required, but helpful. Swimmers do a fair amount of cross sstraining. Some run, some ride some kayak, etc. There are different systems at play in these aerobicly based exercises which benefit a swimmer. Plus it takes the boredom out of constantly following the black line up and down the pool every day.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Not required, but helpful. Swimmers do a fair amount of cross sstraining. Some run, some ride some kayak, etc. There are different systems at play in these aerobicly based exercises which benefit a swimmer. Plus it takes the boredom out of constantly following the black line up and down the pool every day.

cool!!!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Bovell III returns with 50 free win
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:05:35 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2011/11/18/bovell-iii-returns-50-free-win

Bovell III returns with 50 free win
Published: Fri, 2011-11-18 22:14
Nigel Simon

T&T Olympic bronze medal swimmer George Bovell III made a triumphant return to competitive action when he won his pet event, the men’s 50 metres freestyle at the inaugural “Professional Dual Meet 1” at the University of Michigan’s Canham Natatorium on Thursday night. Competing for the first time after a three-month lay-off from a car accident he suffered in Mayaro on August 16, the 27-year-old Bovell representing the West Team won from a field of 15 other swimmers with a time of 22.77 seconds, .05 ahead of East competitor and Commonwealth Games champion, Jason Dunford while Alex Coville (West)—22.85, Pan American gold medallist  Nick Brunelli (East)—23.09 and Bobby Savulich (East)—23.10. Other notable finishers were African champion, David Dunford (East)—23.11, American record holder Bryan Lundquist (West)—23.52 and Canadian record holder, Joe Bartoch (West)—23.75. Earlier in, Bovell III was fourth in the men’s 200 metres individual in two minutes, 14.58 seconds to trail Darian Townsend (West)—2:01.29 mins; 2008 Olympic finalist and world bronze medallist winner Peng Wu (East)—2:02.11 mins, and Brunelli (2:08.46).

And in final event on the night, Bovell combined with West ‘A’ team-mates, Christopher Brady, Alex Hetland and Lundquist for third spot in the 200 metres medley relay in 1:41.73 to beat team-mates, Kevin Doak, Joe Bartoch, Nelson Westby and Coville (West B)—1:42.23. First home was East A led by Dunford (J) and Brunelli in 1:40.54 minutes while East B comprising Wu, Savulich, BJ Johnson and Dunford (D) was second in 1:41.53. At the end of the first night of competition, Bovell’s West has a tally 92.5 points to trail East (110.5). Speaking after his victory, Bovell II said it was a big win considering all the drama with the car accident and the bruise to his brain. “It was a little rushed and with a long finish, but I will take it. While the meet is relatively new, the top T&T swimmer was quick to point out that there was a high quality field of swimmers present and starting off the season with a win always helps build confidence. “I had just swam the 200m individual medley not long before so I was not very fresh, but the 50m freestyle itself felt solid.

Reflecting on the build-up to the event, Bovell, the 2003 Pan American double gold medal winner said, “I have been under heavy training and my body is definitely tired, sore and stiff but the best practice for racing is racing. It’s good early in the season to race under adverse circumstances to get comfortable being uncomfortable.” Yesterday, Bovell who has stepped up his preparations for next year’s London Olympics and is being coached by American Mike Bottom at the two-day event was expected to compete in no fewer than four events in an effort to help his team take the overall title.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
George is looking good this year, and has announced his status as a real medal threat in the 50 free this year with a 21.89 at the Indianapolis Grand Prix last night. He was second to the US's Nathan Adrian by .01, but with both guys untapered and hitting those times after trials for France and Australia have already passed, it could be reasonable to suggest that they have just upped their status as favourites along with Brazil's Cesar Cielo for the medals in London. The swims rank them joint 3rd and 5th for the year so far. He also just broke his 100m backtroke National record tonight for good measure. I guess training up at Michigan with Mike Bottom has really gotten him back on track.

Well done George!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »
 :wavetowel: :notworthy: :praying:

1]; } ?>