April 28, 2024, 04:30:40 PM

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke on agonising nostalgia trip over Aston Villa clash with Manchester  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dwight Yorke on agonising nostalgia trip over Aston Villa clash with Manchester United
By Mathew Kendrick (Sunday Mercury)

ASTON Villa’s meeting with Manchester United next weekend has brought the toughest decision of Dwight Yorke’s glittering career flooding back.

Yorke will be at Old Trafford ahead of Saturday’s Premier League clash between his former clubs to sign copies of his autobiography Born to Score.

And the fixture has taken the retired goal hero on a nostalgia trip to more than 11 years ago when he agonised over quitting Villa to join United.

Yorke broke claret and blue hearts when he left John Gregory’s team to join Sir Alex Ferguson’s Red Devils for a record £12.6 million in August 2008.

But his decision was vindicated when he added a European Cup, three Premier League titles and an FA Cup with United to the League Cup he won with Villa.

However, Yorke, who retains an affection for his beloved first club and would love to be forgiven by Villa fans, still vividly remembers his dilemma.

Writing in his book, Yorke recalls: “Talks began with Sir Alex Ferguson and the prospect of a transfer to United became a little more real.

“Not that I dared believe it would happen. I was still the kid from Tobago at heart who had already reached way beyond his wildest dreams.

“And no matter how things would later turn out, I also felt a strong sense of loyalty to Villa.

“Doug Ellis made it clear he was ready to offer a then staggering £27,000 a week.

“Villa then offered to throw in a £1 million signing on fee and the guarantee of a testimonial if I would sign there and then.

“I was in that meeting, listening to this offer and thinking: ‘Can I really walk away from this?’

“So why did I? Deep down, I was torn between dedicating the best years of my career to the club I owed so much and taking a chance of even greater things a hundred miles up the road.”

Yorke admits bumping into Villa fans on a pre-season break in Spain made him even more emotional about his impending decision to leave.

And he is keen to set the record straight over his final appearance in claret and blue when he flattered to deceive against Everton.

“The team took an end of season trip to Marbella and when we ran into contact with Villa supporters they immediately struck up the now familiar song: ‘It’s up to you Dwight Yorke, Dwight Yorke’. They were right, it was up to me,” he adds.

“That was the problem, it was up to me and these guys were making me feel so special. I felt a real conflict of loyalties.

“There was time for me to play what would be my last match for Villa, the opening game of the new season for Everton, and I think that must have been my worst performance for the club since I arrived. It was not through any deliberate policy on my part. It never would be.

“I know Villa fans have always accused me of ‘playing to get away’ that day but there was so much going on by then, so many distractions, that it was hard to focus on the game – anyone who has been in that position will tell you the same.

“This anchor in my life, Aston Villa, was being taken away and I was heading for new uncharted waters. I was leaving everybody behind, so many great times.

“I thought I would be at Villa forever.”

* Dwight Yorke: Born to Score is published by Macmillan and is on sale priced £17.99.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Oh shut up already.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Oh shut up already.

I honestly did not think this would be the route Dwight would go upon retirement.  From a $$ ROI perspective, he's not wrong though, he's spot on
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I'll buy the book.  The man was a big time star on  and off the field and now he is an author.  .....a published author.  Remarkable accomplishments in this man's life. 

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
Oh shut up already.

I honestly did not think this would be the route Dwight would go upon retirement.  From a $$ ROI perspective, he's not wrong though, he's spot on

Pardon my ignorance but what is ROI?
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
ROI - Return On Investment

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sounds like a good read.  i might borrow de book from a library somewhere

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It would be great if men like Latapy, Lara and Leonson lewis also write books about their life and experiences.  Even men like Ato and Hasley crawford could fall in the mix. 

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
You eh want to know Hasley story... Winston Jackson, his first coach and our family are very close... very sad what hasley had to go through in his early years...

Bakes yuh really feel Yorkie had a retirement plan...? No...! He was a coach at Sunderland and that job gone, he followed Jack and his job with Keane gone, he follow Latas and their job gone.... Leh he sell de books oui!

BTW the book's quality is like a collection of tabloid vignettes, merely for amusement. If you put the biases you have for Yorke. You get exposed to a man whose successes have led him back to a point of zero... He can probably come to B'more and become a spokes person for Under Armor... Like Cantona is to Nike and Zidane is to Adidas.

Sell dem books Capt...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Oh shut up already.

The man words already published.  No shutting up now.  They will forever be a witness!  If you don't like it don't read it or turn off your TV.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was real proud of Yorke during his playing days and to this day I still want to see him do well.  But I eh go lie... I real disappointed in him.  He's to be commended about coming clean with both his successes and his failures... and Daft Trini you're right, he has nothing to fall back on at this point but whatever money he has saved and invested... and whatever he could pimp this book for.

What was irritating me in that piece though was the constant hand-wringing about the decision to leave Villa... yuh leave fuh money, end ah story.  All this extra bullshit about “This anchor in my life, Aston Villa, was being taken away and I was heading for new uncharted waters."  Negro please.  Who take it away from yuh?

steups

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Go on Yorkie, they can't tell yuh nothing. Let them say what they want yuh is the best, can't walk the length of a football field in yuh shoe, much less your cleats.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
I was real proud of Yorke during his playing days and to this day I still want to see him do well.  But I eh go lie... I real disappointed in him.  He's to be commended about coming clean with both his successes and his failures... and Daft Trini you're right, he has nothing to fall back on at this point but whatever money he has saved and invested... and whatever he could pimp this book for.

What was irritating me in that piece though was the constant hand-wringing about the decision to leave Villa... yuh leave fuh money, end ah story.  All this extra bullshit about “This anchor in my life, Aston Villa, was being taken away and I was heading for new uncharted waters."  Negro please.  Who take it away from yuh?

steups

Leave for money??

They offered him more money at Villa than at MU.

He left for glory.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
I just upset that is blasted Jordan fault he end up at Birmingham and not Celtic...that Celtic move under Martin O'Neill woulda result in him having more trophies that Giggs !
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I just upset that is blasted Jordan fault he end up at Birmingham and not Celtic...that Celtic move under Martin O'Neill woulda result in him having more trophies that Giggs !

Always d oman fault  :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leave for money??

He left for glory.

VB

In the context of the discussion... does it make a difference?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leave for money??

He left for glory.

VB

In the context of the discussion... does it make a difference?

That and better looking white thing in Manchester... Do forget the parties wilder and women prettier in Manchester than Birmingham...!

1]; } ?>