March 29, 2024, 05:39:14 AM

Author Topic: Who Livin Cabbage Town in TO  (Read 7867 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Who Livin Cabbage Town in TO
« on: December 08, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
Could I get de 411 on livin in cabbage tong in TO for those who know
Please and Tanks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:41:32 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Who Livin Cabbage Tong in TO
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »
it have a mad man who does walk around Cabbage town cussing and swearing.  If you avoid him, you OK.  But also watch out for the TO cyclists who feel they own the roads
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
use to be an artsy neighbourhood. Had a couple lovely restaurants and clubs. Now it's just plain seedy.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
it have a mad man who does walk around Cabbage town cussing and swearing.  If you avoid him, you OK.  But also watch out for the TO cyclists who feel they own the roads
Thats funny, as we had an Indian woman here that did that also.........cuss like ah stevedore oui :D

them cyclist like that here also
ah tess at my wife office pull up infront of a huge dumptruck, had problems taking off on the green and the dump truck run him over...the driver could not see him where he was.....hard luck

use to be an artsy neighbourhood. Had a couple lovely restaurants and clubs. Now it's just plain seedy.
finally ah place I could enjoy :devil:
so where is de bess trinbagonian food at ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:02:55 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »
they been trying to gentrify that place but not sure how that going. they had a murder there last week (parliament and jarvis).

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »
they been trying to gentrify that place but not sure how that going. they had a murder there last week (parliament and jarvis).
eh?
come again ;D

dais orrite man
in TnT day had 550 ;)

here is an interesting photo by CBC about some changes in regent park over the years
1/3 down the page
http://www.cbc.ca/mosaic/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:23:45 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:12:05 AM »

NOWHERE  :(

closest to a bess is Midland and Lawrence, but is mostly doubles, channa pie, roti etc. At least yuh have red solo and busta too.

Toronto is sorely lacking fuh a good authentic Trini restaurant, sad because I think it would do very well

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »

closest to a bess is Midland and Lawrence, but is mostly doubles, channa pie, roti etc. At least yuh have red solo and busta too.

Toronto is sorely lacking fuh a good authentic Trini restaurant, sad because I think it would do very well

been to Drupati's?

Drupati's Doubles & Roti Shop
975 Albion Rd
Toronto, ON M9V

Always busy.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:40 AM »

been to Drupati's?

975 Albion Rd
Toronto, ON M9V

Always busy.

Best doubles in TO, probably Canada. And their chicken roti (bone) is also tops! Around the corner is another joint (same family as Drupatis) called Lenas... decent food their as well.

See review here (Drupati's) : http://ontarioalive.com/drupatis-doubles-and-roti-shop-toronto-ontario/

* Stick with the curry dishes though. You won't be impressed with their attempt at stew (red beans, chicken, etc) and callaloo.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:27 AM »
I like the doubles and polourie at the Midland/Lawrence shop but yeah Drupaties have it in spades for a nice roti.

WC, Cabbage town is not the place for Caribbean food. In fact I do not recall any Caribbean shops there at all. It was a very artsy/beatnik/hippy/yuppy/old Toronto type of neighbourhood. It went through some unfortunate changes over the last few years. Still some nice houses off the main streets - but you're paying for house not yard. The yards are about 3 inches by 4 inches. The apartments at Wellesley were nice once upon a time. I almost rented the top floor of a house around there. But when I realized I'd be a single female in a house full of male students and had to share a bathroom with one. It was real sweet though but I decided not to be a 'tigress'.  :devil:
There was a nice South American club called Tappas further down at Gerard but that vanished a million years ago.
The area is the setting for Nalo Hopkinson's "Brown Girl in a Ring" (one helluva book, I recommend it!).

Dunno why you're asking but to live? Not I. But I'd stroll thorugh once in a while.

If I had my d'ruthers and was looking to live in Toronto again. My choice would be the Avenue Road and Eglinton area - just south of Eglinton. I'm a bit of the artsy type and love those town homes and condos. I'm not a gardener so a roof top lil garden works for me. It is not very diverse - mostly Jewish, old money - close to Upper Canada College and some of Toronto's oldest churches over on Yonge. Can get a bit tight during rush hour. Expensive but then Toronto is a very expensive city to live in.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:10:16 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 04:39:47 PM »

been to Drupati's?

975 Albion Rd
Toronto, ON M9V

Always busy.

I hear they good!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
yeah, drupati's make a nice roti.

but - someone could tell me why i eh see a doubles stand in the de 4-week summer we have up here? ???  de vendor's license expensive but like we lacking de technology or something.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
Thanks all
in my time, if my memory doesnt fail me,
I think around Dufferin and Bloor had West Indian stuff

and check meh pardna commute from cabbage town
jump on the street car and then go south for two subway stops then walk to bay st.....commute done ;D

and to go quite up by Drupati's, ah man go have to pack lunch and drinks....fuss it far from cabbage town :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 08:48:29 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »

den jump back on the 401...5 minutes east to mc cowan

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=roti+hut+scarborough&meta=&aq=0&oq=roti+hut&fp=995c1dd0cdcc32ea

Everyting from yuh lookin for , from relaxed dine in ambience to conchs roti to kurma...drupati sorf
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=roti+hut+scarborough&meta=&aq=0&oq=roti+hut&fp=995c1dd0cdcc32ea

Everyting from yuh lookin for , from relaxed dine in ambience to conchs roti to kurma...drupati sorf
quite out in FARborough ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:32:40 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Who Livin Cabbage Town in TO
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 02:48:54 AM »
When I was in Toronto, Ali's roti shop was supposed to be good, around Queen and ??
It was not too far West of the Bloor/Yonge Subway (too many years - memory gone.)

Also at Yonge and Dundas decent Indian Trini food. South on Dundas. (I assume they are still there).

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 07:52:06 AM »
Roti Hut is good yes, but I liked Drupati's curry better. But it is a long travel if you're east or south.
I grew up in Scarborough and would go to Roland's. My mother still lives nearby so I go to Roland's (Eglinton/McCowan) whenever I'm in town. Their Chinese dishes are excellent, curry is good too, not happy with the polourie though. Nice little place, clean and tidy.
The one thing I have a problem with in eating paces is the cleanliness of the restrooms. I'm not impressed with most of them. Ali's is an exception. He runs a clean establishment and I like his food.

VB, can't say I know that place you mentioned on Yonge.

There is Scarlet Ibis Restaurant (I think that's still the name) at Victoria Park and Eglinton (Dawes area) and Blue Lagoon on Victoria Park south of Lawrence - NICE roti there but choked up lil place, bad art on the walls and a drunk fella wid no teet who send me a sweet-eye den steupse when I ignored him.

A place for very good Caribbean styled chinese food and good curry is Friendship - Victoria Park and Shepperd. I recommend it. It even sports a juke box and typical dominos game played by very drunk men in the front section. Family dining in the back....
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:54:47 AM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »

Thanks for the link man. but i neva hear about this place before...I go try it. A lot of the places in Scarberia name Roti this and Roti that mostly Guyanese it seems.

I does wake up sometimes with this very real, intense unexplicable urge to devour a hot roti. A good one. It is prob the winter.

Btw remember dat Hardball lounge we watch the '06 WC games in...yuh eat anything there??

QM, I will check out that Friendship place since you recommend it....see what their Char Siu Kai Fan tastin like.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »

There is Scarlet Ibis Restaurant (I think that's still the name) at Victoria Park and Eglinton (Dawes area) and Blue Lagoon on Victoria Park south of Lawrence - NICE roti there but choked up lil place, bad art on the walls and a drunk fella wid no teet who send me a sweet-eye den steupse when I ignored him.

A place for very good Caribbean styled chinese food and good curry is Friendship - Victoria Park and Shepperd. I recommend it. It even sports a juke box and typical dominos game played by very drunk men in the front section. Family dining in the back....

Scarlet Ibis - been there once - not bad

Friendship - good value for the price.  We have used them to cater larger events. Went in there one night with Mrs P.  to order some chicken.  Left to go to the car, come back in and two men trying to convince she to play dominoes with them - geezan ages!

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
Pecan boy I don't know what it is nuh....a good looking fella would pass me straight but a ugly drunk man wid one teet in de front of he mout does always look to soot me.

But the food in Friendship is worth the effort.
One time I went to pick up some food and two fellas was holding on to the juke box wining. I couldn't laugh because I know if would lose the battle of the steupse...

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 07:22:20 PM »
Pecan boy I don't know what it is nuh....a good looking fella would pass me straight but a ugly drunk man wid one teet in de front of he mout does always look to soot me.

and ya ent even tell meh hello                                     :D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »

One time I went to pick up some food and two fellas was holding on to the juke box wining. I couldn't laugh because I know if would lose the battle of the steupse...

Queen and Pecan, I now come back from Friendship. I get the chicken with fried rice, it not all dat (stinge with the chicken but a whole setta rice) but I haven't tried the other dishes yet. Judging from the menu I not sure how "Caribbean style" it is...it seems to simply be North American 'chinese' food. The pepper sauce decent. Maybe you could recommend me a particular dish.

Juke box and thing still intact  ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 07:52:23 PM by Grande »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
Friendship Restaurant
2904 SHEPPARD AVE E, SCARBOROUGH, ON M1T 3J4
in between Victoria Park & Chichester
(Cross Street: Sheppard AVE E and Chichester PL)
Phone: 416-756-3899

Scarlet Ibis Family Restaurant
1880 O'Connor Drive, North York, ON M4A 1W9
Phone: 416-755-1446

Trinidad Style Hot Roti
7205 Goreway Dr #F2, Mississauga, ON L4T 2T9
(Cross Street: Goreway DR and Etude DR)
Phone: 905.678.9201

a link to some more here

anyone know what happen to www.rotishops.com  ??? used to be a good site
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 08:22:31 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
Grande, we usually have their bbq duck. Hubby loves their wings and the curry is good. The house fried rice is very good.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »
There are a proliferation of Roti places in Scarborough.

Ten odd years ago, I used to go up there a lot and off the top of my head.

Roti Spot
Roti Place
Roti King
Roland's
Sylvan's
I think there was a Roti Hut too.

Sylvan's kinda rum shoppish  but you could take the food to go.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »

Queen and Pecan, I now come back from Friendship. I get the chicken with fried rice, it not all dat (stinge with the chicken but a whole setta rice) but I haven't tried the other dishes yet. Judging from the menu I not sure how "Caribbean style" it is...it seems to simply be North American 'chinese' food. The pepper sauce decent. Maybe you could recommend me a particular dish.

Juke box and thing still intact  ;D

we used them for catering (>35 people) and bought fried rice, chow mein and chicken.  Worked out well - we have never purchased small amounts so I not sure how the overall menu does taste. When we visiting toronto, we usually eating at the parents kitchen  ;D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »
Nah, when I'm home in Toronto I do not cook or look for home food. I have to have at least one Swiss Chalet and nuff Caribbean food.

What I don't like is those Caribbean hole in the walls with dry, stale food...there is one like that on Yonge jsut above College, east side of the street...yick...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
Nah, when I'm home in Toronto I do not cook or look for home food. I have to have at least one Swiss Chalet and nuff Caribbean food.

What I don't like is those Caribbean hole in the walls with dry, stale food...there is one like that on Yonge jsut above College, east side of the street...yick...

not only that.. when you come out you smell like if you juss done bathe in whatever they cook.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 10:26:08 AM »

thanks dutty - ah giving roti hut a try this weekend :beermug:

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »

Doh sample de doubles. Is BAKE and channa yuh eatin. Everything else could pass.

thanks dutty - ah giving roti hut a try this weekend :beermug:
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>