April 26, 2024, 01:56:54 AM

Author Topic: Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi bloodied during attack  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi bloodied during attack
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
December 13, 2009, 3:41 pm

Video of Attack on Berlusconi in Milan

By ROBERT MACKEY

Updated | 6:45 p.m. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was struck in the face after a political rally in Milan on Sunday and rushed from the scene with blood on his face.

Video of the attack soon surfaced, since Mr. Berlusconi was surrounded by television cameras as he left the rally.

Initially The Associated Press reported that Mr. Berlusconi, who is 73, was hit by “by a man holding a small statue in his hand.” Soon after the incident a report from the Italian state broadcaster RAI said the attacker may have struck the prime minister with a miniature reproduction of the Duomo, the city’s cathedral, which is near the spot where Mr. Berlusconi was signing autographs when he was attacked.

Earlier on Sunday, Britain’s Channel 4 News published this raw video, which shows a brief glimpse of Mr. Berlusconi seconds before the attack — which apparently took place just as the camera panned away to the right — and then in the chaos after he was struck:

The Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported that a 42-year-old man who was immediately detained after the attack, Massimo Tartaglia, has no criminal record but has been treated for mental problems for a decade. La Repubblica’s article was illustrated by a photograph of Mr. Tartaglia being restrained after the attack. The same man seems to appear in the video above, about 20 seconds into the clip.

Soon after he was bundled into his car, Mr. Berlusconi briefly reappeared, standing and looking back at the crowd, perhaps to show that he was not badly injured.

According to The Associated Press, police officials “said the premier was conscious and apparently not badly injured.” Mr. Berlusconi’s spokesman said that doctors at San Raffaele hospital in Milan had decided to keep the prime minister there overnight for observation.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/video-of-berlusconi-after-attack-in-milan/?pagemode=print

AirMan

Re: Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi bloodied during attack
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:10 PM »
Yes I heard earlier today..any of the forumites ever see this happening in T&T ??

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:13:52 AM »
Many Italian say that the man who hit Berlusconi deserve a Medal of Honour 
Kinda like de fella dat throw he shoe at Bush   :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »

This called to mind that incident for me as well... disagreed with pelting the shoe at Bush, and I disagree with this physical attack on Berlusconi.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »

This called to mind that incident for me as well... disagreed with pelting the shoe at Bush, and I disagree with this physical attack on Berlusconi.

violence is never the answer...but lord knows berlsuconi from all accounts is not a popular person in italy

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »
This man's actions have Italians in real shame. I can't agree with attacking an elected leader, but that buss face looks like real jokes oui.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »
violence is never the answer...but lord knows berlsuconi from all accounts is not a popular person in italy

I can respect that... Bush was even less popular in Baghdad at the time of the shoe-throwing incident.  This was worse obviously for the violence aspect, but love him or hate him the man is a democratically-elected leader.  If you so don't like him then do your best to vote him out of office.  For good or bad, a majority of Italians see enough in him to keep him in power, you have to respect that.

--------------------------

Jumbie I couldn't disagree with you more on that buss face... I was shocked by how bloodied he was.  The death-mask grimace kinda funny looking, true... but according to reports he suffered a broken nose and broken teeth to go along with lacerations to his lip.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:26:08 PM »
Yet to pursue the story critically, but one could hesitate to ascribe 'significance' to this action from the POV of "making a statement", when the offending party is deemed to have mental problems.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »

"Soon after he was bundled into his car, Mr. Berlusconi briefly reappeared, standing and looking back at the crowd, perhaps to show that he was not badly injured."

To me it look like Berlusconi was trying to ride fuh de man that hit him...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
Apparently.....dis had someting to do with it.

Buh seriously now...i had a thought. How likely you think something like this is to happen here?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »

lol!! michelle body language is killah...look how far she stand up away from sadiss....she know if she move ah inch closer, silvio gropin up all she bress
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>