April 28, 2024, 03:45:53 PM

Author Topic: Lauryn Williams returns to her roots  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lauryn Williams returns to her roots
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:44:25 AM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=5558
Lauryn Williams returns to her roots

Posted by admin on Dec 17th, 2009 and filed under News
1,044 views Print This Post Email This Post

By Clayton Clarke, Trackalerts.com
claytonrclarke@yahoo.com

PORT-OF-SPAIN; Trinidad: American sprinter Lauryn Williams is in Trinidad and Tobago, the home country of her father David. Lauryn’s father was born in Charlotteville, Tobago and grew up in San Fernando, Trinidad before migrating to the USA.

The 26-year-old sprinter arrived in Tobago on Thursday (17th) and is expected to re-connect with her father’s relatives in the fishing village on the eastern end of the island. Williams will then journey over to Trinidad where she will conduct a one day seminar on Saturday 19th December for young female athletes at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain. The seminar is being hosted by the National Association of Athletic Administration (NAAA) of Trinidad and Tobago.

The 2002 World Junior 100m champion has impressive record of making every major global outdoor finals since 2004 taking silver at the 2004 Olympics, gold at the 2005 Worlds, silver at the 2007 Worlds and was fourth at the 2008 Olympics and fifth at the 2009 Worlds.

Williams also won the 2003 Pan American sprint title in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and has personal bests of 10.88seconds (100m) and 22.27 seconds(200m).

(Lauryn’s father died in October 2008 long battle with leukemia)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:58:25 AM by Trini1 »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lauryn Williams returns to her roots
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 05:47:04 AM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/?p=5566
Williams looks to inspire T & T young female athletes

Port-of-Spain, Trinidad: Former World 100m champion Lauryn Williams says she is looking forward to share her experiences with the up and coming female athletes of Trinidad and Tobago.

Williams, who collected silver at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and the 2007 Worlds in Osaka will host a seminar for female athletes at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday (19th December) from 1:30 pm. She is hoping to “encourage the girls, that you can do anything.”

“The sky is the limit as far as you want to achieve. It is a matter of how hard you work (that) will determine how successful you will be. You will have barriers, like monetary, that prevent you from travelling. If you are working hard you will always find someone willing to open the door for you. People will recognize that you are willing and will give to you when once they know you have potential. So I am going to encourage them to stay on track, make sure they are out there exercising even though they are not going to be no Olympian or World Champion,” said Williams.

The 26 year old Nike-sponsored sprinter adds that she will be promoting sports for healthy living. “Sports is good for your health and teaches you life skills. If you participate in sports and continue to participate in them they will teach you things not only like how to win but how to be a good loser.”

Williams is in Trinidad with her 80 year old paternal grand-mother. They arrived in Trinidad on 14th December and will leave for the US on 21st December.

Not sure if it will do much but at least she attempted. :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:56:45 AM by Trini1 »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »
First time she been to trinidad i assume
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »
Very Nice gesture on her part
encourage aspiring youngsters in TnT
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »
I am guessing it was her first time too, hopefully she could inspire somebody.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 08:33:28 PM »
 :beermug:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »
First time since she was 11 - article is in the Guardian today but for some reason not on guardian online.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161572603

Williams: Hard work pays off
Kern De Freitas

Monday, December 21st 2009

TRACK TALK: Top US sprinter Lauryn Williams, right, fields questions from her young audience during a track and field session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday. -Photo: STEVE McPHIE

To be a success at track and field, or any other field, nothing can substitute hard work.

That was the message from US 2005 100-metre World champion Lauryn Williams to some of Trinidad and Tobago’s young female track athletes yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Williams, whose father David was born in Charlotteville, on the North Eastern tip of Tobago, was on vacation in T&T, retracing her roots, when the National Association for Athletics Administration (NAAA) invited her to come and speak to some of the young local athletes. She graciously accepted, and was greeted by the gathering with great enthusiasm.

At the Stadium, the 26-year old athlete spent time in a mostly informal session, answering questions and giving advice to the youngsters interested in pursuing a career in athletics. She told them that although she didn’t fall in love with the sport early on, it was her natural ability, competitive nature and desire for success that made her pursue it. Success, she said, demanded it.

’What got me going was that when I wasn’t working hard, I was losing,’ Williams explained. Although she did not come from a wealthy family, Lauryn also saw that track could send her to college, and she was determined to do so.

’(I thought) if to get that all I had to do was to run around this little circle, then that’s what I’m going to do,’ she related, adding: ’that was the thing that mattered most to me’.

Soon Williams was regularly succeeding at national trials, training ’with a vengeance’ as she put it, and the 2002 World Junior 100-metre women’s champion was rewarded with success a year later when she landed the 2005 senior ’Worlds’ title.

She was injured for part of the 2006 season, but was just happy to claim second place when she returned to action at the 2007 World Championships.

’Second place never felt so good,’ she reminisced.

The highest point of her career, claims Lauryn, was triumphing at the 2004 National Championships. Her lowest? Her effort over 200m in the 2009 edition.

’It’s the first time I’ve never finished a race to the best of my ability. My coach worked hard to get met here

’I was just cruising to the line,’ she added, ’and I was so embarrassed not to finish the race knowing that I had quit on the race, that is not my character, that is not the kind of person I want to be.’

One of the things that has plagued Williams’ career has been the 100m relay at major events, three times in fact, including the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

’To not even carry the stick around the track is a real disappointment to all of us (on the US team). But to bounce back from that shows your character.’

That character, she told the young track hopefuls, needs to be a little ’selfish’ to achieve success.

’ Track and boys don’t mix,’ she warned with a smile.

’Groupies work both ways. When you’re doing well, everyone wants to be your friend, but not everyone has your best interest at heart.’
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:37:23 PM »
That is real nice!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
I wish you all could have seen them parents nodding their heads and nudging their daughters when she said the "BOYS and track dont mix" line.

I never realized how many talented young girls get caught up, distracted or pregnant before they get a chance to realize their full potential

Educational for me as well.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »
That's great i'm happy for those youngsters who got a chance to listen to some words of wisdom, hopefully they would heed that advice. As i read the article i was smiling and thinking this is exactly what they need to hear especially coming from such a big and successful FEMALE track star and positive role model.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Too bad she didn't run for us but she is definitely doing her father's roots justice..
good for her...
then again she might be just trying to recruit for USA T&F  :devil:
whey boy!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »
I am most glad for the TT female athletes to have role model they could look up too. Hopefully we will get our first medal in London.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 02:58:55 AM »
I wish you all could have seen them parents nodding their heads and nudging their daughters when she said the "BOYS and track dont mix" line.

I never realized how many talented young girls get caught up, distracted or pregnant before they get a chance to realize their full potential

Educational for me as well.

Gillian Forde ent she get pregnant when she was on schlarship neva 2 b heard of again?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
Can't recall...
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>