March 28, 2024, 04:51:28 PM

Author Topic: Thou shall steal after all!  (Read 1080 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Thou shall steal after all!
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:01:22 PM »
guardian.co.uk
Thou shall steal after all! :o
Holy row greets fatherly advice from York vicarChurch of England priest Tim Jones preaches it's OK to shoplift, though it's best from a big retail company not family business
Adam Gabbatt and agencies guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 22 December 2009 10.09 GMT

Flagship stores line London's Oxford Street. Father Tim Jones said vulnerable people should steal from large national businesses. Photograph: David Levene

In issuing the 10 commandments to Moses atop Mount Sinai, God was pretty unequivocal: "Thou shalt not steal."

However, there's good news for anyone whose passion for pilfering has hitherto been tempered by the eighth commandment: according to one Church of England vicar, we can steal after all.

Father Tim Jones, the parish priest of St Lawrence and St Hilda in York, told his congregation on Sunday that certain vulnerable people face difficult situations.

"My advice, as a Christian priest, is to shoplift," he said. "I do not offer such advice because I think that stealing is a good thing, or because I think it is harmless, for it is neither."

The reverend did set some parameters for anyone planning a shoplifting binge.

"I would ask that they do not steal from small, family businesses, but from large national businesses, knowing that the costs are ultimately passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices," he said, adding: "I would ask them not to take any more than they need, for any longer than they need."

Jones, whose description on his church's website says he has served as chaplain at a prison, said his words should not be "misrepresented as a simplistic call for people to shoplift". He said some people have little option but to turn to crime.

However, his comments were not endorsed by the Venerable Richard Seed, Archdeacon of York.

"The Church of England does not advise anyone to shoplift, or break the law in any way," he said.

"Father Tim Jones is raising important issues about the difficulties people face when benefits are not forthcoming, but shoplifting is not the way to overcome these difficulties."

A spokesman for North Yorkshire police was unconvinced by Father Jones's advice.

"First and foremost, shoplifting is a criminal offence and to justify this course of action under any circumstances is highly irresponsible. Turning or returning to crime will only make matters worse, that is a guarantee."

Clarifying his position on GMTV today Jones, who made headlines last year when he protested against the sale of Playboy stationery, said stealing from bigger retailers would have less of an impact than theft from smaller businesses.

"I have never said it is OK to steal. It is a dreadful thing to steal," he said.

He told BBC Radio York that his intention had not been to encourage theft, rather to urge parishioners to give to charity.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/22/thou-shall-steal-york-vicar

Just Imagine de HORRORS if fadda Gilbert, said that eh
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:06:35 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Re: Thou shall steal after all!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:10:10 AM »

Totally of topic.

Nice Camera work, has an unnatural feel to it, like Mr Roger's neighbourhood.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Thou shall steal after all!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »

Totally of topic.

Nice Camera work, has an unnatural feel to it, like Mr Roger's neighbourhood.
:rotfl: :rotfl: I had to laugh, yuh was right when yuh say off topic

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>