March 28, 2024, 04:01:37 PM

Author Topic: David Villa signals time right to make move to Premier League  (Read 1207 times)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
David Villa signals time right to make move to Premier League
« on: December 23, 2009, 08:30:10 AM »
niceeeeeeeeeeeee

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article6965770.ece

After flirting with several English clubs in the past, David Villa is eyeing up a move to the Barclays Premier League. The Valencia striker has had a change of heart after failing to secure a transfer to Barcelona or Real Madrid last summer and is finally ready to leave Spain, a message that will be received with interest in the boardrooms of Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City.

As a lightning-fast forward with a rare eye for goal, Villa’s skills remain as compelling as ever, but his circumstances have changed. In an interview with The Times, the 29-year-old admits for the first time that he is willing to move abroad and is ready for a challenge beyond the two giants of Spanish football, which was not the case when Chelsea made a £36 million bid last summer.

“Quite simply, I rejected the possibility of moving abroad at that moment because there were issues that would not allow me to leave my country . . . my wife was pregnant and it didn’t seem right to leave,” he said.

“I like the Premier League a lot. It’s the league I follow the most along with La Liga and I’ve got a lot of friends playing there.

“There are a lot of globally important teams there that play very good football.”

Despite his frustrations at the start of the season, Villa has maintained his outstanding form in front of goal and his 12 goals in 14 league games show that his professionalism prevents his disappointment from affecting his performances.

This has not gone unnoticed by Europe’s top clubs, who are already aware that, with 35 goals in 54 appearances as a full international with Spain, Villa scores goals whatever the circumstances.

“I have a duty to Valencia, it’s my club: the one that pays my wages and with whom I have a contract,” he said. “This summer they’ll have a look at things, analyse them and in time we’ll see what happens.

“All I can do now is stay relaxed, try and score as many goals as possible and have a good a season as possible, as much as with my club as with the national team.”

Valencia have admitted that they need to find about £40 million by the end of next summer to remain solvent — reports claim they have more than €700 million (about £620 million) in debt — and that they must listen to offers for Juan Manuel Mata, David Silva and Villa.

Consequently, the striker is preparing his young family for a move: his English is improving and he is engaging in frequent conversations with Spanish friends, including players and journalists, who have already made the move abroad.

However, Villa’s willingness and capacity to adapt to another country have been questioned by some of his closest allies in the Valencia squad. A senior player said: “He [Villa] needs friends around him. He needs to joke, be understood, be listened to and feel secure in his comfort zone.”

Villa is quick to disagree. “That’s not true. I think that’s said because of what happened in the summer when I rejected a move to another league. I’m someone who left home at 21 years of age to be with my wife and I’ve always been a long way from my family — and I really don’t see them all that often. I’m a survivor.

“Adapting to a new language, to the football, it’s all part of being a footballer. Having said that, I’m comfortable here, calm, happy; I show that better out on the pitch than in front of a microphone.

“We’re still a long way off from the months of June and July, and when they come around we’ll analyse the situation then.”

There may be another twist to this story in March, when the contract runs out with his representative, José Luis Tamargo. Countless agents have been in touch with the player, promising him the best deal out of a move to one of Europe’s biggest clubs.

Tamargo has been contacted by the decision-makers at Chelsea, Manchester City, United, Liverpool and Arsenal in the past two years, but the list of realistic potential suitors in England has been reduced to just three.

Chelsea would love to partner Villa with Drogba, but know that a move in January is impossible, while a transfer embargo is likely to prevent a summer move. Manchester City have been willing to push for him in the recent past, but their project has, until now, not been attractive enough for the player.

Manchester United have also registered an interest, but have never followed it up with an offer.

Villa believes that there has never been a better time for the best English clubs to make their move for one of the very best Spanish players around. “Maybe quite a few years ago, Spanish players were reluctant to leave La Liga for another league,” he said.

“But that’s all changed now. There are very important players, a showcase of Spanish footballers playing for Premier League clubs; and there are players in other leagues, lesser leagues, as well.

“I think that the Spanish footballer has changed in this aspect in the last few years.”

Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: David Villa signals time right to make move to Premier League
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:37:21 AM »
Liverpool need to take note of this. Of all the teams in England I think Liverpool might stand the best chance of getting him if they serious...and of course it will depend on if Rafa is still there. But i would love to see him at manu as well...partnered with rooney. IMO rooney doing plenty work up front on game day and need someone up there who defenders have to pay attention to and allow rooney some room for mau to break through this season. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 08:41:57 AM »
We need him the most... we in such desperate times we using Owen up front....

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »
29 years old.........hmmmmmmmmm
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 09:55:29 AM »
Man City have enough forwards already.. Man Utd and Arsenal don't have the cash and why would he go to a mid table team with no cash like Liverpool?

aahps boy African nations cup problem solved..

welcome to chelsea.  :devil:

1]; } ?>