March 28, 2024, 10:17:40 AM

Author Topic: 5 acres for Amerindians  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
5 acres for Amerindians
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:58:34 AM »
FIVE acres of state land will be given to the indigenous community for the establishment of a modern Amerindian village.

This was revealed on Monday night by the Minister of Community Development Marlene Mc Donald during her feature address at the 2nd Biennial National Heritage Preservation Awards at the Hyatt Regency, Port-of-Spain.

Mc Donald said the Government reviewed the first report sent to them by the indigenous community in a bid for more “meaningful recognition” and as a result has sort to grant them five acres of state land.

She said the land will be a site for a modern Amerindian village and would be used as grounds to revive Amerindian practices and traditions including showcasing their art and crafts and agricultural practices and crops.

She assured Government’s strengthening and pursuing of strategies and continuity of grants in support of national heritage preservation.

Mc Donald also took the opportunity to encourage the youths to get involved in the preservation of the country’s heritage, not only for themselves but for the memory of their ancestors.

She also challenged the corporate sector to support the heritage fund, saying that Government could not do it alone. She also urged all businessmen who own “ancient buildings” to do all they can to preserve the architecture.

Over the years, president of the Carib community in Arima, Ricardo Bharath-Hernandez has called on the Government for state protection of sacred sites, for land for his people and an end to the destruction of medicinal herbs and plants by quarrying activities in the Tamana forest.

Some of the awardees for the night included: Pastor Cherice Job Lewis of the Black Rock Moravian Church in the Best Historic Restoration Project (Small). In the large category, Fawzia Rahaman copped the title for the Queen’s Royal College.

Best Natural Heritage Site title was given to Anthony Ramnarine - Caroni Bird Sanctuary. Winning the Lifetime Achievement Award was Archibald Chauharjasingh of La Romaine.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,113327.html

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: 5 acres for Amerindians
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 09:05:18 AM »
Quick question, does Trinidad or any Caribbean island still have any "pure" Amerindians left?

Further if there are any "pure bloods" left....do you think they dig a horrors.....i.e certain people might want them to stay pure and marry/breed with their own kind, when after being exposed they might want to marry out of their race.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:39:45 AM »
Quick question, does Trinidad or any Caribbean island still have any "pure" Amerindians left?

Further if there are any "pure bloods" left....do you think they dig a horrors.....i.e certain people might want them to stay pure and marry/breed with their own kind, when after being exposed they might want to marry out of their race.

Well Guyana and Belize are not islands but they do have 'pure' Amerindians. Dominica supposed to have a little bit too. The name Ricardo Bharath-Hernandez speaks volumes for the effects of miscegenation in the Amerindian community in T&T. 

Sometime last year I was listening to a radio programme where the President of a local Amerindian association was being interviewed. They are aligned to the PNM. The host asked about the recognition they had received from the present Government received. He said they never received anything concrete. I guess they getting what they wanted, kinda. I was surprised to learn 'they' had an association at all. 

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
five acres for a village though?  I had a house one time on 8 acres.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
five acres for a village though?  I had a house one time on 8 acres.

I now saying the same thing.  ???

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I think we need to stop with this nitpicking at everything the government does.  5 acres may or may not be enough for a "village", but at least it's a start.  Land is not free and the government of TnT isn't the ones responsible for the demise of the Amerindian population, nor did they contribute to it.  The colonial powers over the centuries are largely the ones to blame for the current state of the Amerindian population in Trinidad (since there aren't any in Tobago)... if anything, reparations should be coming from the Spanish government, and perhaps the English as well.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:58:16 PM »
Well Guyana and Belize are not islands but they do have 'pure' Amerindians. Dominica supposed to have a little bit too. The name Ricardo Bharath-Hernandez speaks volumes for the effects of miscegenation in the Amerindian community in T&T. 

Sometime last year I was listening to a radio programme where the President of a local Amerindian association was being interviewed. They are aligned to the PNM. The host asked about the recognition they had received from the present Government received. He said they never received anything concrete. I guess they getting what they wanted, kinda. I was surprised to learn 'they' had an association at all. 

There are many other countries in the Caribbean with a much stronger Amerindian presence, including Dominica, St. Lucia and the Garifunas in Belize as you properly point out (although many are mixed with the blood of African slaves).

As for their affiliation with the PNM, the center of Amerindian culture in TnT is Arima, Calvary Hill to be precise.  Arima is a jurisdiction that has almost uniformly been PNM for as long as I can remember and many of the local politicians themselves have "carib" blood.  They may not have gotten any official support by the national government, but the support of the local politicians accounts for the affiliation.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:09:29 PM »
I think we need to stop with this nitpicking at everything the government does. 

Is that possible? Not jsut T&T, but any country's government?  :angel:

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
Proud to have Carib blood running through my veins....! Trini to the dna...!

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »
I think we need to stop with this nitpicking at everything the government does.  5 acres may or may not be enough for a "village", but at least it's a start.  Land is not free and the government of TnT isn't the ones responsible for the demise of the Amerindian population, nor did they contribute to it.  The colonial powers over the centuries are largely the ones to blame for the current state of the Amerindian population in Trinidad (since there aren't any in Tobago)... if anything, reparations should be coming from the Spanish government, and perhaps the English as well.

I was not nitpicking.  I was wondering how the hell you could build a model village on 5 acres.  Maybe when they say model they mean scaled down?

I was asking because 5 acres seems mighty small for a village.  In addition, regardless of who is responsible for the demise, the Government du jour has the power to do more.  This government is the worse PNM government ever in the history of T&T.

Manning has 3 years to right the ship, resign or be solely responsible for the demise of the party.

Anyway, back to the village, maybe they already have adjoining lands and the fice acres is a supplement??:?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »
I was not nitpicking.  I was wondering how the hell you could build a model village on 5 acres.  Maybe when they say model they mean scaled down?

I was asking because 5 acres seems mighty small for a village.  In addition, regardless of who is responsible for the demise, the Government du jour has the power to do more.  This government is the worse PNM government ever in the history of T&T.

Manning has 3 years to right the ship, resign or be solely responsible for the demise of the party.

Anyway, back to the village, maybe they already have adjoining lands and the fice acres is a supplement??:?

How can the "government du jour" do more?  You have land yuh willing to donate?  Or should we give dem 20 acres inside Talparo?  Clearly the land grant has to be somewhere practical.  The village of course will be a "model" because people eh go pack up and move to this new village upsetting they life.  I'm sure the preserve at Cleaver Woods is situated on less than 5 acres.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:50:43 PM by Bake n Shark »

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »
re-reading the article, it appears that it is more of a market/show case.  Not for actual residences.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »
No site was named though.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
re-reading the article, it appears that it is more of a market/show case.  Not for actual residences.

A la Cleaver Woods...

Meanwhile I can only continue to marvel at the state of Journalism in TnT...

Mc Donald said the Government reviewed the first report sent to them by the indigenous community in a bid for more “meaningful recognition” and as a result has sort to grant them five acres of state land.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 08:52:09 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »
Proud to have Carib blood running through my veins....! Trini to the dna...!

hopefully not of the part how de ancestors treat the Arawaks!  :-\ who in turn eh really treat de Ciboney better...

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 01:32:55 AM »
Their is an indegenous reservation in Dominica. Belize, Guyana, Suriname, French Guyana has sizable population. But in the US I see indegenous people everyday. Mexican, Salvadoran, Guatemalans are as indegineous as they come.

1]; } ?>