April 18, 2024, 09:44:37 PM

Author Topic: T&T U-23s end their Bermudan tour with a 1-1 draw  (Read 3006 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T U-23s end their Bermudan tour with a 1-1 draw
« on: January 01, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »
Bermuda bring in the New Year with deserved draw
By Josh Ball (The Royal Gazette)

Nahki Wells scored Bermuda's first goal of the New Year as the Under-23s battled their way to a deserved draw against Trinidad & Tobago at the National Sports Centre yesterday.

Wells, whose man-of-the match performance saw him cover more ground than almost any other player on the pitch, struck early in the second half of a game in which neither side ever really settled into any kind of rhythm.

The goal cancelled out Jean Luc Rochford's 16th minute rocket, the highlight of an otherwise tepid affair which was characterised by sloppy passing, niggly fouls, and an uneven physical match-up that exposed Bermuda as just a little too lightweight for this level of football.

That isn't to say that the home side weren't aggressive. They battled hard, more often than not illegally, and Antonio Lowe was a rock at the centre of a defence which was vastly improved from the first game.

Their overall shape was better too, however they were let down on occasion by a lack of movement, and a midfield that, Wells aside, was largely annonymous for the majority of yesterday's game.

"I thought Nakhi Wells can play at a higher level than we saw today," said coach Scott Morton. "He has superior technical ability but must learn what we need from him tactically. His ability is endless.

"Defensively we were better than we were in the first game. We changed things around and I felt Antonio Lowe's pace at the back gave us a bit more balance."

Not that Bermuda had to be at their best because the Soca Warriors' hectic schedule of three games in five days finally caught up with them, and at times they struggled to get out of neutral.

Striker Jamal Clarance played on the fringes of the game for most of the hour that he was on the pitch, and while his replacement Jerrel Britto proved more of a threat, the rather disjointed nature of the Trinidad performance often left him without enough support to be truly effective.

They also allowed the home side's rather robust approach to knock them out of their stride, which given that T&T are both taller and stronger than their Bermuda counterparts is something they should never have allowed to happen.

Even so, having taken the lead through Rochford, who reacted quickest when Nicholas Walker's corner came back of the back post and rifled in a shot from 20 yards out, Trinidad would have been confident of picking up their third win of the tour.

However, several half chances aside, they failed to seriously test Bermuda goalkeeper Daniel Johnson for the rest of the half and were made to pay for it soon after the restart.

Some good work by Devrae Tankard down the left saw him skip past several challenges, glide into the penalty box and play a perfect pass to Wells, who side-footed the ball home from 12 yards out.

Both teams had chances to win the game in the second half. Britto headed straight at Johnson when clean through and Reggie Lambe scuffed a shot he should have done far better with.

In the end though a draw was a fair result, and gives Bermuda a platform on which to build for the rest of the year.

Bermuda: D.Johnson, D.Tankard (R.Purnell, 80), A.Lowe, A.Gibbons, R.Lee (R.Trott, 73), S.Hollis (A.Russell, 65), S.Darrell (S.Brown, 62), R.Lambe, N.Wells (T.Tucker, 81), K.Bean, A.Simmons (A.Grant, 86). Sub not used: T.Bell.

Trinidad & Tobago: A.Marchan, J.Jones (J.Morris, 63), D Cyrus, M.Williams, M.Lewis, M.Joseph (S Campbell, 46), N.Walker, L.Paul, JL Rochford, T.Lougheed, J.Clarance (J.Britto, 57). Booked: Rochford, Britto, Paul.

Referee: A.Francis

Man of the match: N. Wells
Bermuda Under 23’s 1 Trinidad & Tobago Under 23’s 1
islandstats.com

The third and final match of this Trinidad tour of Bermuda got underway with the visitors attacking with the wind at their backs. After some ten minutes neither team has tested the goalkeepers, however some six minutes later Jean Luc Rochford had a shot from some 30 yards fly into the back of the net beating a diving Daniel Johnson. In the 20th minute Johnson got his fingers to tip a drive from Rochford over the crossbar. In the 38th minute Johnson failed to collect a through ball cleanly and Jamal Clarance was able to take control of the ball but Ajani Gibbons was able clear he ball before Clarance could get a shot off.

Click Here to see the Full Bermuda Under 23’s & Trinidad Under 23’s Half Time Stats

In the 51st minute Bermuda equalized, Devraer Tankard beat two Trinidad players to the ball on the half way line and ran into the box and his cross was put away by Nahki Wells. In the 80th minute Trinidad substitute Stephen Campbell had a shot turned over the crossbar by Johnson. A hard fought game came to an end with Trinidad going unbeaten over the three matches, finishing with two wins and one draw.

Click Here to see the Full Bermuda Under 23’s & Trinidad Under 23’s Full Time Stats

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:41:06 AM by Tallman »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad&Tobago Under 23 1vs Bermuda Under 23 1
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
The Final game against the under 23 Bermuda team ended in a 1-1 draw according to Islandstats.com

:-\ :-\
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad&Tobago Under 23 1vs Bermuda Under 23 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
The Final game against the under 23 Bermuda team ended in a 1-1 draw according to Islandstats.com

:-\ :-\
report:  Trinidad & Tobago Under 23 footballers were unlucky to come away with a point in a very physical contest with their Bermuda counterparts.  Apparently taking cue from XXX  who said last night that the Trinbagonians were easily out-muscled, XXx took it a bit too far with XXX yellow cards issued and XXX on the night.
yadda yadda yadda

Coach Vranes says he is very pround of the valliant effort by his charges
bullshit down the line.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T U-23s end their Bermudan tour with a 1-1 draw
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 08:40:06 PM »
Jean Luc Rochford !!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:45 PM »
so we improving I see ?
we eh studying results right ? ..because we eh in de qualifiers yet !

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
so we improving I see ?

U 4get dat when dey was warmin up 4 d Under 20 WC results did not matter
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »
so we improving I see ?

there you go ...a constant merry go wrong !
happy new year girl to you and yours  :beermug:

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 09:19:23 PM »
OH WELL DONE WARRIORS!  ::)
Hart for president

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
chupse

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
BM here...good tour young lads////keep going

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
so we improving I see ?

:beermug: a good yr for San Juan 1 of d few tings we agree on
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Calderon encouraged by Under-23 performance
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
Calderon encouraged by Under-23 performance
By Stephen Wright (The Royal Gazette)

Bermuda Football Association (BFA) president Richard Calderon believes Bermuda's encouraging draw against Trinidad will serve as a major psychological boost for the players and proves the Island can hold their own against the Caribbean's best nations.

Calderon said it had been imperative for Bermuda Under-23s to bounce back with a positive result having suffered a 5-2 defeat in the opening game of this week's double-header against the region's top dogs.

He also revealed more international friendly matches were on the cards with Bermuda Under-23s set to travel to Trinidad for a three-game tour later this year.

"This was a significant result for us," said Calderon. "Although Trinidad are ahead of us I do not think they are three goals ahead of us. It was critical for us to finish with a good performance and result – I am absolutely thrilled for our players.

"This game was a far better indication of how we can play. We eliminated the mental lapses of concentration that cost us the first game and corrected our mistakes."

The BFA president said it was vital they provided Bermuda's Under-23s with tough matches in the build-up the CAC Games in July, and envisions them competing against powerhouses from the region such as Honduras, Costa Rica and the United States in the not too distant future.

"We want to keep on testing ourselves against top teams like Trinidad," Calderon said. "They are the benchmark at the moment and it is far more beneficial to play against them rather than some of the lesser Islands. That is where we want to be and I would like to see up against teams like Costa Rica, Honduras and the US."

Despite luring the Caribbean's best young team to the Island,Trinidad's trip failed to attract the number of spectators the BFA required to balance their books.

They needed 1,500 fans for each of the three matches to break even and Calderon said he was disappointed more fans did not turn up to support Bermuda's most promising young players.

"I was a little disappointed with the turn-out from our supporters," he said. "I would have loved to see more Bermudians at the National Sports Centre to support our team. We needed 1,500 each game to break even and we were nowhere near that.

"The upside is Trinidad and Tobago will now have to reciprocate and host us for three games sometime in the first quarter of 2010.

"I think the whole exercise had proved very worthwhile though, and I was pleased we were able to support Devonshire Cougars in their build-up to the CONCACAF Champions League."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »
so we improving I see ?

:beermug: a good yr for San Juan 1 of d few tings we agree on
Yup. Got my humble beginnings going to San Juan Boys Gov't school ...then de stars were Mario Affonso ( cricket) Dorrant mitchell ( cycling) Mike Solomon ( athletics ) ...Anand Manna ( cricket ) ..
Good to read about good San Juan news anytime.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
Ah could see how this tour helps improve Bermuda, but how exactly does it take T&T forward? No disrespect to Berbuda.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
Ah could see how this tour helps improve Bermuda, but how exactly does it take T&T forward? No disrespect to Berbuda.

well he looked at playerS... however i was hoping would have given  britto and Campbell a start
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:45:05 PM by Trini _2014 »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mSR2g7UaD88" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mSR2g7UaD88</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:01 PM »
Shaka gets English trial for Bermudian keeper.
By Stephen Wright (Royal Gazette).

Bermuda international goalkeeper Freddy Hall is set to join English League One club Charlton Athletic on a two-week trial.

The 23-year-old has been recommended to the Addicks by former Newcastle United and West Ham 'keeper Shaka Hislop who coached Hall at Quinnipiac University.

Hall leaves for London next week and has vowed to make the most of his exciting opportunity at the ex-Premier League team.

"It is my first trial at an English club. I have been waiting for an opportunity and it will be a good experience for me," said the St. George's shot-stopper.

"I think right now in my career I am trying to find someplace to develop and grow as a 'keeper and improve my skill level, hopefully, that can be at Charlton.

"I am supposed to be there for two weeks but if everything goes to plan I should be there longer. My goalkeeper coach Shaka Hislop sorted it all out."

Ex-Trinidad 'keeper Hislop, who also works as a soccer commentator and analyst for ESPN International, has been working with Hall since the start of the 2009 college season.

Having Hislop put his professional reputation on the line by recommending Hall to Charlton has given the young 'keeper a major boost.

"The knowledge Shaka his given me from our one-on-one daily training is really key," said Hall.

"I can only learn from someone like him and he has really shown me what it takes to get to the next level.

"Having someone like Shaka have confidence in you is a huge boost. To have him helping me achieve my professional ambitions speaks volumes."

In order to attend the Charlton trial, Hall had to turn down an invitation for Major League Soccer (MLS) try-outs. He was one of only five 'keepers invited to the annual trials held prior to the MLS Draft at Central Broward Park, Fort Lauderdale next month.

"I actually found about the MLS trials after the Charlton thing came up. I decided not to go because of that, but it is still a great honour because not many players get chosen for that," Hall said.

"I would not mind playing there (the MLS) at all if the right situation presented itself to me."

Due to personal reasons Hall chose not to play in Bermuda Under-23s double-header against Trinidad this week, but he plans to make himself available for upcoming competitions like the Olympic qualifiers.

"It was unfortunate I could not be apart of Bermuda Under-23s matches against Trinidad & Tobago because of personal reasons. There are a number of competitions coming up like the Olympic qualifies and they (the Bermuda Football Association) have put a lot of focus on the Under-23 players."

Charlton Athletic are coached by Phil Parkinson and are currently second in League One.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 05:24:20 AM »
Shaka could of help one of our keepers out too....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 04:54:22 AM »
Hall to Visit England for Professional Trial
By Red Zmudzien (The Quad News)

The former star under the crossbar of the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team, Freddy Hall, is looking to take his talents overseas this spring. Hall will take part in trials for the Charlton Athletic Addicks of the English League One, located in South London, England. The Charlton Athletic Football Club is based in Charlton, which is in the London Borough of Greenwich, England.

A trial in professional soccer is more or less an extended tryout for a prospective player.
“[I’m going to] go out there for two weeks or so or more depending on the length of the trial, just train with the team and if they like the way I play or not then they’ll keep me or offer me a contract,” Hall said.

Hall was originally supposed to complete his trial in early January, but it was pushed back due to inclement weather. The senior goalkeeper didn’t want to have to showcase his skills under less than optimum conditions.

“When I was going to go [for the trial], there was a crazy blizzard out there so I didn’t really want to go out there and waste my time because teams were pretty much training inside,” Hall said. “So it wasn’t a good opportunity at that time”

Unfortunately for Hall, he had to pass up a tryout with Major League Soccer in order to complete his trial over in England. The 6-foot-2 senior was one of only five goalkeepers invited to the annual trials held prior to the MLS draft.

“During the same time of the MLS [tryout] I got an opportunity to go to England and I just chose it because it’d be better and [I’ll receive] more opportunities,” he said.

One of the leading voices recommending Hall was his former goalie coach at Quinnipiac, Neil Shaka Hislop. The recommendation from Hislop is especially flattering to Hall because of his coach’s pedigree. Hislop has played in the MLS and for top teams in the English Premier League such as Newcastle United, West Ham United and Portsmouth. Hislop also played in the 2006 World Cup for Trinidad and Tobago, which was the country’s first ever appearance. The goalkeeper coach also served as a soccer commentator and analyst for ESPN International in 2008.

“Having someone like Shaka is great, just his knowledge [and experience],” Hall said. “For him to recommend me, I guess it speaks highly of me. It feels good to have his confidence.”

Hall will graduate from Quinnipiac this May as one of the most decorated Bobcats on the soccer field. He was the 2007 NCAA statistical leader in save percentage and saves per game, a member of the 2009 All-Northeast Conference team, a Northeast Conference player of the week and a Quinnipiac athlete of the month.

Hall hopes the experiences and awards he’s garnered over the last few years will help prepare him for the trials he faces next month. After being ranked annually as one of the top goalies in the nation, there is little doubt that Hall is more than ready for the opportunity.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>