April 16, 2024, 02:09:59 AM

Author Topic: South Africa President Jacob Zuma to marry third wife  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
South Africa President Jacob Zuma to marry third wife
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma is set to marry his third wife.

Senior figures from the ruling ANC, the trade union movement and the South African Communist Party are expected to attend, alongside family and friends.

Mr Zuma, a Zulu, was meant to marry his fiance Thobeka Mabhija, 36, last year but the wedding was postponed due to Mr Zuma's political commitments.

Correspondents say Mr Zuma's belief in the traditional practice of polygamy has split South Africans.

Some support him but many younger people believe it should have no place in a modern society.

Under Zulu tradition, Mr Zuma's two current wives are supposed to approve of the new wife and attend the wedding ceremony.

It has also emerged that Mr Zuma, 67, is expected to take a fourth wife but no date has been set.

His new fiance, Gloria Bongi Ngema last week brought umbondo (wedding gifts) to the Zuma family, reports say.

This ceremony is the last traditional event before the wedding and is done after ilobolo has been paid to the bride's family.

"The traditional wedding of President Jacob Zuma and Thobeka Mabhija tomorrow, 4 January, is a private family ceremony," said a statement from the presidency on Sunday.

The office asked journalists to "allow the family the privacy that they are entitled to".

South African media reported that Mr Zuma's home in Nkandla, in the province of KwaZulu-Natal, was a hive of activity in the run-up to the ceremony.

When Mr Zuma was inaugurated as president in May, speculation was rife about who would be the first lady.

He has attended some high-profile events with all his wives, including Ms Mabhija.

Mr Zuma paid ilobolo (dowry) to the Mabhija family two years ago.

Earlier this year, the Mabhija family sent gifts to the Zuma family, an indication that all matters regarding the wedding, including a date, had been set, reports say.

This will be Mr Zuma's fifth wedding.

Mr Zuma, 67, married his first wife Sizakele Khumalo-Zuma, in 1973, and his second wife, Nompumelelo Ntuli-Zuma, two years ago.

He is also divorced from Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

One of his earlier wives, Kate Mantsho-Zuma, died in 2000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8434865.stm

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa President Jacob Zuma to marry third wife
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »
hmm woman still dat backwards in this world? I wonder if he ok wid he wifes having more thn one hisband? anyway good fi him eh I have one wife and mi eh want another for nothing ,one is enough problem as it is..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:09 AM »
Capo never tell we he father was a dignitary....

he love them big and bouncing 2 boot... :beermug:

Cheers to you Mr President  ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
How much personal time does a Head State/Government have ? I would think they'd be too busy to have more than one spouse.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:24 AM »
I'm captivated by the wives traditional wear. Colors boy colors!!!
My word, check out the fiance's hat  :beermug:

Okay now I could read the story.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:37 AM »
He like dem thick.

Good for him yes, cuz one woman talking up in my ears is enough for me.

Also, in a country where AIDS rampant, is it a good example for the head of state to be taking multiple women. BTW wasn't he he one who was accused of raping a woman too?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
He like dem thick.

Good for him yes, cuz one woman talking up in my ears is enough for me.

Also, in a country where AIDS rampant, is it a good example for the head of state to be taking multiple women. BTW wasn't he he one who was accused of raping a woman too?
Yes

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
allyuh assuming that dem wives he have there fall into the same category as dem wives allyuh have..

dem hadda fall in line and humble.. when one cooking, the next one have to wash dishes... and the next one hadda fold clothes while the next one rub ah foot.. on top ah that, they have to make sure and adhere to the nocturnal roster if they get placed on active duty.

and doh rail up cause yuh get sub out easy, easy.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/sgrCtFb6Mfs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/sgrCtFb6Mfs</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
hmm woman still dat backwards in this world? I wonder if he ok wid he wifes having more thn one hisband? anyway good fi him eh I have one wife and mi eh want another for nothing ,one is enough problem as it is..

war

What backward about it?  Just because you buy into western culture lock, stock and barrel dat doh mean that it better than other cultures.

Grimm... what does him marrying more than one wife have to do with AIDS?  Does one of his current wives have AIDS that the third wife might get it from him?  Does the third wife have AIDS that he might then transmit to his other wives?

You don't get AIDS or increase your likelihood of getting/transmitting it simply from having more than one wife.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 12:36:26 AM »
allyuh assuming that dem wives he have there fall into the same category as dem wives allyuh have..

dem hadda fall in line and humble.. when one cooking, the next one have to wash dishes... and the next one hadda fold clothes while the next one rub ah foot.. on top ah that, they have to make sure and adhere to the nocturnal roster if they get placed on active duty.

True...real suppression of emotions. I was watchin a documentary about a polygamous Christian family, the wives were saying doh think it is all contentment, is real mental warfare going on behind the stoicism. So maybe is dat suppression warmonga referring to as 'backward'. He raise a curious question fuh real though - western awareness aside - I wonder if he ok with his wife having more than one husband .
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 12:39:09 AM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 01:19:06 AM »

True...real suppression of emotions. I was watchin a documentary about a polygamous Christian family, the wives were saying doh think it is all contentment, is real mental warfare going on behind the stoicism. So maybe is dat suppression warmonga referring to as 'backward'. He raise a curious question fuh real though - western awareness aside - I wonder if he ok with his wife having more than one husband .

African wives in polygamous marriages are a lot more empowered than their Western and Asian counterparts.  I am not advocating in favor of the practice but it is arrogant and presumptive to label these women's choices as "backward".

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 06:49:14 AM »
dem wife eh go kill he, is de cholesterol dem carrying go be de death ah he.   Thick?  lol dem is Palos Wal-Mart Specials.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »

African wives in polygamous marriages are a lot more empowered than their Western and Asian counterparts.  I am not advocating in favor of the practice but it is arrogant and presumptive to label these women's choices as "backward".

ha ha. thaiz a funny joke. check the life expectancy rates in south africa. south africa is a 4king mess.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 08:46:29 AM »

ha ha. thaiz a funny joke. check the life expectancy rates in south africa. south africa is a 4king mess.

Yeah... I'm trying real hard, and failing, to see the relevance between what I posted about the empowerment of African wives in polygamous marriages... and your reference to life expectancy rates in South Africa.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »

Yeah... I'm trying real hard, and failing, to see the relevance between what I posted about the empowerment of African wives in polygamous marriages... and your reference to life expectancy rates in South Africa.

ah reread your unsubstantiated claim and see it unclear. yuh looking at only de mormon women as de western counterpart to de african women in polygamous marriages or all western married women?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
ah reread your unsubstantiated claim and see it unclear. yuh looking at only de mormon women as de western counterpart to de african women in polygamous marriages or all western married women?

The fact that you would characterize my statement as "unsubstantiated" tells me all I need to know already... but since you insist... where else in western culture is polygamy even seen but among the Mormons?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »

The fact that you would characterize my statement as "unsubstantiated" tells me all I need to know already... but since you insist... where else in western culture is polygamy even seen but among the Mormons?

bns, ah find you missing de forest from de trees. even if, as you claim but doh substantiate, SA is some world leader in de rights of women in polygamous marriages, thaiz like being de leader in medical care for battered wives or some such social arrangement with an inherent bias. ah eh find daiz something to be proud of.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:35 PM »
bns, ah find you missing de forest from de trees. even if, as you claim but doh substantiate, SA is some world leader in de rights of women in polygamous marriages, thaiz like being de leader in medical care for battered wives or some such social arrangement with an inherent bias. ah eh find daiz something to be proud of.

Since you claim to have "reread" my statement... I have to wonder which language you read it in, because clearly it wasn't the English it was written in.  We'll overlook for now the irrelevance of your mortality comments, or the relevance of your "mormon" comments, or talk of "pride" for that matter.

I made no statement specific to SA or it being some bastion of womens' rights.  My comments were a refutation of the notion that polygamy is an inherently "backward" practice.  There is nothing for me to substantiate, anyone even remotely familiar with West African culture (which is where the practice is concentrated in Africa) would know that women form the core of the traditional West African family. 

Among the Nguni specifically for those who practice polygamy wives are still subject to a patriarchal society, but even so  the tribal leader is determined by his mother's status.  Within the family the first wife along with the grandmother (paternal) are the ones who run the family.  I have never done any detailed studies among polygamous women in Western cultures but I can certainly tell you that like women in Arab, Oriental and Asian polygamous marriages the autonomy they enjoy within the polygamous society is nowhere near that of Nguni women.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

Since you claim to have "reread" my statement... I have to wonder which language you read it in, because clearly it wasn't the English it was written in.  We'll overlook for now the irrelevance of your mortality comments, or the relevance of your "mormon" comments, or talk of "pride" for that matter.

I made no statement specific to SA or it being some bastion of womens' rights.  My comments were a refutation of the notion that polygamy is an inherently "backward" practice.  There is nothing for me to substantiate, anyone even remotely familiar with West African culture (which is where the practice is concentrated in Africa) would know that women form the core of the traditional West African family. 

Among the Nguni specifically for those who practice polygamy wives are still subject to a patriarchal society, but even so  the tribal leader is determined by his mother's status.  Within the family the first wife along with the grandmother (paternal) are the ones who run the family.  I have never done any detailed studies among polygamous women in Western cultures but I can certainly tell you that like women in Arab, Oriental and Asian polygamous marriages the autonomy they enjoy within the polygamous society is nowhere near that of Nguni women.

bns, yuh getting it twisted. to recap, yuh throw out an ambiguous statement comparing "western" and "asian" marriages with african polygamous marriages. i point out this defect in your communications and now you confine yourself to polygamy and its defence. somehow it eh cross yur one or two synapse dat de dominant species on de planet, particularly de dominant parts of that species, DOH practice polygamy - mother nature done leave a big 4king hint for even dunce like you to see and is just you not aware of it. is only you jumping up and down happy dat one turd bigger dan de two next to it. who care - it doh matter. maybe you should go live africa and practice polygamy instead of all de internet theory yuh lay out here. plain talk - polygamy is a lack of options. dat eh nothing to hype.

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
The Koran explicitly allows polygamy..for whatever noble reasons it may espouse!

That said..allyuh check this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article6974036.ece

The king of Nelson Mandela’s tribe is threatening to secede from South Africa after being convicted of manslaughter, kidnap and assault.

King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo, who is Mandela’s nephew, says he will declare independence and lay claim to 60% of the country’s territory unless President Jacob Zuma withdraws the charges for which he faces a 15-year jail sentence.

The threat is deeply embarrassing to the ruling African National Congress because the king’s Thembu tribe are one of the largest constituents of the Xhosa group — from which many ANC leaders have come. Mandela’s grandson, Mandla, a Thembu chief, is one of the king’s strongest supporters.

The king is on bail pending an appeal against his sentence on charges stemming from violence against his subjects in the early 1990s, during which a woman and children were kidnapped, homes burnt and youths assaulted, one of whom died.

He says his relationship with the Zuma government has “irretrievably broken down” and is demanding an apology and damages of £6.75 billion for his tribe, to be paid by Wednesday.

His territorial claims include Cape Town, the Eastern Cape, Johannesburg and the whole of KwaZulu-Natal, including Durban. This last is a deliberate insult to Zuma and his Zulu tribe. The king has had a controversial career since he took the crown in 1992. Mandela, when president, told him that he was “not fit to rule” and, according to the king, tried to have him overthrown. However, Mandela, who was brought up as a ward of the Thembu royal court, is respectful of traditional institutions and was in proud attendance when Mandla was made a chief.

While Zuma will probably ignore the king’s threat — the president is due to marry a fifth wife this week — the king’s imprisonment could inflame Xhosa resentment against the dominance of Zulus under Zuma.

“Modern, urbanised Thembu are fed up with the king,” said Gavin Stuart, former editor of the East London Daily Dispatch, “but rural Thembu will see the prosecution of the king as a case of political persecution by a Zulu-led cabal.”

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
bns, yuh getting it twisted. to recap, yuh throw out an ambiguous statement comparing "western" and "asian" marriages with african polygamous marriages.

What "ambiguous" about the statement?  Is the statement ambiguous or is it that your understanding of basic English that is impairing your understanding?

i point out this defect in your communications and now you confine yourself to polygamy and its defence.

You point out what?  You mean you made some nebulous statement about South African mortality rate, followed later by some smoke and mirror talk about Mormons.  Now yuh talking more shit about "polygamy and its defence".  Exactly who is defending polygamy??  I'm really convinced now that English is not your first language.

somehow it eh cross yur one or two synapse dat de dominant species on de planet, particularly de dominant parts of that species, DOH practice polygamy - mother nature done leave a big 4king hint for even dunce like you to see and is just you not aware of it. is only you jumping up and down happy dat one turd bigger dan de two next to it. who care - it doh matter. maybe you should go live africa and practice polygamy instead of all de internet theory yuh lay out here. plain talk - polygamy is a lack of options. dat eh nothing to hype.

I must confess that I haven't the faintest f**king clue what you going on about yes fella.  Ever since you stepped foot into the discussion yuh keep subtly shifting the goalposts with ah set ah distraction talk.  Each time I refute some red herring statement is because yuh introduce another one... each making less sense than the others.  Not even yuh little schoolboy ad hominems disguising that simple fact.

I still trying tuh figure out talk about de "dominant species on de planet"... or de "dominant parts of that species"... ah guess that will make it de dominant parts of de dominant species on de planet den... whatever de ass that means.  Who ever yuh fancy that to be what does the fact that they don't practice polygamy have to do with whether the South African women who do are "backwards" or not?

Even funnier is the claim that "polygamy is lack of options"... "plain talk" because you say so ah guess. 

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Zuma lovechild a 'personal affair'
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

Zuma lovechild a 'personal affair'

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - South Africa's ruling party on Monday dismissed a storm over President Jacob Zuma's lovechild, as political opponents told him to stop behaving like a 'gigolo' and get sex addiction therapy.

"Our view is that the matter between any two consenting adults remains their own personal affair," the African National Congress (ANC) said in a statement.

"This unjustified attack to the president is disingenuous. There is nothing wrong that the president had done. There is nothing 'shameful' when two adults have a relationship."

Opposition parties reacted angrily to a weekend media report that Zuma had fathered a child with the daughter of one of his close friends, a top organisor of the 2010 World Cup.

The main opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) said Zuma had weakened the country's messages of safe sex.

"We believe President Zuma needs counselling and sex addiction therapy, as was recommended for Tiger Woods who has a similar problem of sleeping around."

"His personal behaviour has profound public consequences," said DA leader Helen Zille.

The girl, born in October, is the 20th to be fathered by 67-year-old Zuma who is a practising polygamist with three current wives, the Sunday Times reported.

The ANC breakaway Congress of the People (COPE) said the report was "scandalous" after Zuma's marriage last month, accusing him of "highly irresponsible" behaviour in one of the world's most AIDS affected countries.

"His continued use of African custom as a smokescreen is also no longer acceptable. Polygamy is not promiscuity and his behaviour is not justifiable under any circumstances," said leader Mosiuoa "Terror" Lekota.

"The South African public must make its voice heard and tell President Zuma to start behaving like a president and not a gigolo."

The small African Christian Democratic Party accused Zuma of undermining South Africa's anti-AIDS fight and "increasingly unbecoming behavior that brings shame to our nation".

"A man who already has three wives living with him has no moral right to continue sleeping around with women he is not married to," said party leader Kenneth Meshoe.

The ANC said it did not see a link between the ANC's HIV policies and the Zuma's personal relationships.

Zuma's new baby is just the latest scandal to erupt around the president's sex life. In 2006, during a trial that acquitted him of rape, Zuma admitted to having sex without a condom and then said he had showered to ward off the risk of infection.

He was the head of the National AIDS Council at the time.

1]; } ?>