April 20, 2024, 10:33:21 AM

Author Topic: Anybody going South Africa??  (Read 3190 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Anybody going South Africa??
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »
If anyone is planning on going, could you share some info on what kinda costs you looking at for accomodation, transportation.. how the logistics looking etc..

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody going South Africa??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
I will love to go but dont have di time of wrk  to do it so am gonna watch di games at home.
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
No.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
No.....

ENT

D socawarriors did not cooperate
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »
I not going but there is a company with tour packages for the US based Cartan Tours.

Unlike Germany where you could buy your own plane ticket and easily book accommodation and train travel I feel that you better off going with a tour provider for SA. They have a serious shortage of hotel rooms and you may want a guide or a local contact/guide.

Imagine Rustenberg, where England will camp has only about 4000 rooms total. Now think about the 20,000 ticketed fans that England normally have and the ticketless mass that will converge to try and get in or just hang around, where them sleeping.

I worry about SA too because of the transport. People will probably have to find one location to stay, probably away from a host city, and then travel to all games. Even in Germany with the rail system that meant that on a matchday you could have a 3 hour train ride each way. I remember leaving early on a morning and coming back the next morning for each game.

Imagine travelling to and from games in SA a stream of Maxi-Taxis or PTSC buses. It could be hellish from a traffic standpoint.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
I not going but there is a company with tour packages for the US based Cartan Tours.

Unlike Germany where you could buy your own plane ticket and easily book accommodation and train travel I feel that you better off going with a tour provider for SA. They have a serious shortage of hotel rooms and you may want a guide or a local contact/guide.

Imagine Rustenberg, where England will camp has only about 4000 rooms total. Now think about the 20,000 ticketed fans that England normally have and the ticketless mass that will converge to try and get in or just hang around, where them sleeping.

I worry about SA too because of the transport. People will probably have to find one location to stay, probably away from a host city, and then travel to all games. Even in Germany with the rail system that meant that on a matchday you could have a 3 hour train ride each way. I remember leaving early on a morning and coming back the next morning for each game.

Imagine travelling to and from games in SA a stream of Maxi-Taxis or PTSC buses. It could be hellish from a traffic standpoint.

Yeah I've been considering going but the logistics is my major concern so i heavily doubting it.

The way i look at it, Germany is about as organized as a World cup can get in terms of accomodation, transportation, facilities and general organization. And still, I would have to say that it took alot of careful advance planning to make it come off as smoothly as it did. There were plenty opportunities for things to go awry just because of the challenges of being in an unfamiliar country.

I would be worried not so much about security, but about finding a place to stay in South Africa and getting around etc.

On the upside, I could see that because alot of people would have similiar concerns, it would be possible to get access to latter stage game like a quarters, semis or even the final for a reasonable price. And also could probably build the Africa experience like a safari and sightseeing into the trip.

Offline nunu

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »
I have a canadian friend who won a package(Airline ticket ,hotel and all) from FIFA.com
in 2008/2009 season to go .

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:32 PM »
i done buying mih south africa world cup gear.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
i done buying mih south africa world cup gear.

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »
I love how they put "Enjoy the Game" at the end  :rotfl:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
Andrew Jennings is not painting a pretty picture of the situation, nuh

"EXCLUSIVE! World Cup in trouble as fans in England, Germany, USA, Holland, Denmark and many more countries, disgusted with extortionate prices charged by Sepp Blatter’s family and business friends, boycott South Africa. Even the touts are sobbing as they clutch bundles of unwanted tickets.

EXCLUSIVE! Is FIFA in meltdown? Insiders fear for Blatter’s mental health as he fires former trusted aide Jerome Champagne and World Cup woes mount."

I hope it does come together on schedule
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 11:54:04 PM »
Forget about South Africa.  Go the Copa America 2011 instead.

Argentina: June 15 - July 15, 2011

That should be a nice football lime.  Much more affordable too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »
Shouldn't be too difficult to find tickets:

Still, the worldwide economic downturn -- along with those nagging concerns about security, adequate transportation and hotels -- is diminishing expectations for a tourism bonanza. FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said last month that South Africa wouldn't get 450,000 visitors as it had predicted and turnout could be as low as 350,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/03/02/world/AP-SOC-WCup-100-Days-to-Go.html?scp=6&sq=%22world%20cup%22%20%22south%20africa%22&st=cse
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

giggsy11

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Forget about South Africa.  Go the Copa America 2011 instead.

Argentina: June 15 - July 15, 2011

That should be a nice football lime.  Much more affordable too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica

Forget South africa, Forget Copa America-go to Brazil 2014 instead!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
Allyuh men real shortsighted boy :-[ first WC on African soil and this is what allyuh talking 'bout? >:(
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
Allyuh men real shortsighted boy :-[ first WC on African soil and this is what allyuh talking 'bout? >:(

What would that be?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:38 PM »
Just before the kick-off they should fly de gate and fill the empty seats.

1]; } ?>