March 29, 2024, 01:56:09 AM

Author Topic: Funny read: Top 10 ‘How The Hell Did They Get So Many Brazil Caps’?  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
what would the trini version look like?

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-tophowthehelldidtheygetsoma&prov=goal&type=lgns

It is widely accepted that Brazil is the best producer of footballing talent in the world, and indeed it is difficult to find a top flight club team anywhere that hasn’t possessed a Brazilian at some point in recent years.

Another unique phenomenon surrounding the South American nation is just how many players have been capped by the Selecao. With Brazil organising numerous friendlies each year, this has often led to obscure, local, and less than prestigious names receiving international call-ups.

10) Amaral - 31 caps

This centre midfielder was a grave digger before he began his footballing career, and some cynics would suggest that along with the earth and the worms Amaral found himself 31 Brazil caps. Despite brief spells at Parma, Fiorentina and Benfica, the schemer was never a headliner. He also never played in a World Cup, Copa America or Confederations Cup.

9) Edilson - 25 caps

A productive goalscorer in his homeland during the nineties and early noughties, the only success Ederson had abroad was in Japan and the United Arab Emirates. Given the presence of the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Bebeto, the pint-sized forward did well to earn a quarter-of-a-century of caps.

8) Kleberson - 31 caps

Raised eyebrows before he joined Manchester United in 2003 when he announced that he was set to marry his 15-year-old girlfriend when she turned 16. Going from young bride to Old Trafford proved too much for Kleberson as he was an unequivocal flop with the Red Devils. Now at Flamengo, the 30-year-old has still managed to rack up 31 appearances for Brazil, as well as a 2002 World Cup winners medal.

7) Savio - 44 caps

Savio was not lacking in ability, and indeed he was an under-rated member for Real Madrid between 1998 and 2003, winning three Champions League titles. But, for someone who never made a World Cup squad, and hasn’t featured at national level for 10 years, it is hard to work out just where the tricky winger’s 44 caps came from.

6) Ricardinho - 23 caps

A Brazilian who travelled to two World Cups you would expect to be a household name, but not Ricardinho who only really succeeded in Europe on the legendary Championship Manager 97/98 computer game. In real life, he failed at Bordeaux and Middlesbrough, spending most of his career in his homeland.

5) Doriva - 35 caps

Remember Doriva? Probably not. He was a centre midfielder with less identity than a home crowd at a Wigan Athletic match. Despite recently retiring it is difficult to describe what kind of player the former Sampdoria and Middlesbrough man was. He sat on the centre circle, and was neat and tidy in a Liverpool Lucas kind of way, but what exactly did he do? Well, he won 35 caps for Brazil - that is what he did!

4) Ze Maria - 43 caps

His name is repeated a billion times a day in Italy, but only because there are a lot of Auntie Marias in the peninsula. Spent the best part of a decade in Serie A with Parma, Perugia and Inter where he was a decent if inconsistent performer at right back. Just how he managed to make 43 appearances with the Brazil shirt, though, is a real mystery when you consider that not only did he never appear in a World Cup but that he had 142-cap record holder Cafu ahead of him in the queue. Obviously played a lot of ‘Pele’ friendlies against Guatemala and the Cook Islands.

3) Roque Junior - 48 caps

He may have a cool name, but there was nothing 'bad' about Roque Junior on the football pitch. Well, actually there was! The centre back was a catastrophe waiting to happen whenever he donned the Milan or Brazil shirt, committing numerous errors in the last line of defence. Helped prolong the myth that all Brazilian defenders were rubbish, winning 48 caps and a World Cup winners medal along the way.

2) Vampeta - 39 caps

In second place we have the midfielder whose name translates as ‘Vampire-devil’. One of Inter president Massimo Moratti’s many disastrous signings, Vampeta will be remembered as one of the biggest flops in Serie A history during his time at San Siro at the beginning of the millennium. Indeed he is more noted for not only being involved in the swap deal that took Flamengo’s Adriano to Inter, but also for being the first Brazilian footballer to pose totally naked for a LGBT magazine. Somehow he still won 39 caps for Brazil, and was a benchwarmer during the 2002 World Cup win.

1) Serginho Chulapa - 20 caps

Brazil 1982 are the greatest team never to have won the World Cup, containing a whole host of legendary players such as Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Eder and Junior, and playing some mesmerising football before they were eliminated 3-2 by Italy in a classic clash. For all these brilliant champions, Brazil ’82 also contained a striker described by Sir Bobby Charlton as a "Sunday League player". The 6ft-plus hitman was lanky, clumsy, and so un-Brazilian he could have been the lovechild of Emile Heskey and Peter Crouch. He won 20 caps, but also lost the Selecao the World Cup.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Funny read: Top 10 ‘How The Hell Did They Get So Many Brazil Caps’?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
Dey got number 1 correck
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:53:56 AM »
Nice read.. a little bit harsh calling up Roque Junior name in this.

How much caps Wagner Love and Lucas have?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »
The man say "Pele friendlies" such as Guatemala and the Cook Islands, oui!   :rotfl:

Pele fans, where allyuh!?

Maradona is the greatest EVER.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »

I find Ze Maria was decent man. And Kleberson was one of the standout players the 2002 side.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
9) Edilson - 25 caps

A productive goalscorer in his homeland during the nineties and early noughties, the only success Ederson had abroad was in Japan and the United Arab Emirates. Given the presence of the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Bebeto, the pint-sized forward did well to earn a quarter-of-a-century of caps.

Edilson, Ederson?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
I get tie up when I did see Amaral yes.  Because it had one did play in de 78 World Cup in Argentina who I did find was excellent.  I liked him a lot.  Very composed central defender with ridiculous positioning sense.

But dem say dis Amaral never play a World Cup so couldn't be he.

Serginho should take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all by heself.

Honourable mention to goalkeeper Waldir Peres.  A serious shithong on dat 82 squad too.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »
kleverson was decent man, i still remember the bullet he leggo in the finals.    roque junior was meh boy, that man had a real spranger finish

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »

Serginho should take 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all by heself.

Cosignnnnnnn
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
For a country where football run 1, 2, 3 they must produce some duds. But I do have issuses with a few of his picks. The Amaral he is talking about can't be the one who played in Argentina.It have to be another Amaral. He was one of the best players on that team. He saved Brazil embarassment vs Spain when he made a timely goal line cleareance when Leao was beaten badly. Plus he was one of the coolest defenders I ever seen play in a WC.

While Roque and Klieberson were not super-stars, they played their role perfectly on the coaches orders. They defended most of their games and attack when the opportunity permitted. They won the WC.

When it comes to Serginho, I have to admit he was a disappointment. But allyuh must remember that Brazil was going thru some serious guava season when it came to the striker postion. He was tearing up the league with Sao Paulo, so they had to pick him. One side note about Serginho. He had a lot of run in with opposing players and reporters. He would give it right back to them in their faces when he thought he was unfairly criticized. They have a hard time dealing with a TALL and assertive black man. He was not as diplomatic as Pele.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »
For a country where football run 1, 2, 3 they must produce some duds. But I do have issuses with a few of his picks. The Amaral he is talking about can't be the one who played in Argentina.It have to be another Amaral. He was one of the best players on that team. He saved Brazil embarassment vs Spain when he made a timely goal line cleareance when Leao was beaten badly. Plus he was one of the coolest defenders I ever seen play in a WC.

While Roque and Klieberson were not super-stars, they played their role perfectly on the coaches orders. They defended most of their games and attack when the opportunity permitted. They won the WC.

When it comes to Serginho, I have to admit he was a disappointment. But allyuh must remember that Brazil was going thru some serious guava season when it came to the striker postion. He was tearing up the league with Sao Paulo, so they had to pick him. One side note about Serginho. He had a lot of run in with opposing players and reporters. He would give it right back to them in their faces when he thought he was unfairly criticized. They have a hard time dealing with a TALL and assertive black man. He was not as diplomatic as Pele.

Deeks, its not the same Amaral..

The one they talking about is more recent.. I remember him, a dark fellah, midfield hard man for Parma. They say he used to be a grave digger before he take up football professionally.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
I now remember a story about the gravedigger. But I can't remember seeing him play a game.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
One thing about Brazil is that they get and accept invitations to a lot of tournaments worldwide and they often send their C teams. I remember when they came to participate in a Shell Cup hosted in Trini and they came with a U20 squad to play our senior teams  ::)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »

Like you forgettin Careca was on dat same 82 squad and eh even get a sniff of a game or wha?

As for bein tall, assertive and black....all dat eh change de FACT dat Serginho was a RANKIN SHITSNAKE!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
One thing about Brazil is that they get and accept invitations to a lot of tournaments worldwide and they often send their C teams. I remember when they came to participate in a Shell Cup hosted in Trini and they came with a U20 squad to play our senior teams  ::)

and how they do? we beat them? i have a vague recollection of the in trinidad.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:09 PM »

I didn't think they were in our group, can't even remember if they made it to the semi's, it was around '97....calling Tallman....do you have the stats on this?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

I didn't think they were in our group, can't even remember if they made it to the semi's, it was around '97....calling Tallman....do you have the stats on this?

It was de 1999 Copa Caribe. Brazil was in de group with Cuba, Haiti, and St. Kitts. Dey beat St. Kitts 5-0, but lost 0-1 to Cuba and 3-4 to Haiti, so dey didn't progress out of de group.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Jo, who currently playing for Everton reminds me of Serghino. Runs the same way, looks lazy. Palos, like I said the man was the top scorer in Brazil at the time. We can second guess the coach for not playing Careca. He made the final decision and they lost.Serghino  just was not WC material.  I second guess the coach for not bringing on Paulo Isidoro earlier in that Italy game. He had  speed. Kinder like the current Ramires.Paulo speed would have been the right thing  vs the Itals. Anyhow, Careca(great player) got 2 opportunities later and did not bring home the WC either. But he and Diego in Italy were superb.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:15:06 PM by Deeks »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »

It was de 1999 Copa Caribe. Brazil was in de group with Cuba, Haiti, and St. Kitts. Dey beat St. Kitts 5-0, but lost 0-1 to Cuba and 3-4 to Haiti, so dey didn't progress out of de group.

Thanks boss  :beermug:

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
Roque real shitty but as someone said he handled his business in the world cup, i think that was the only stretch of games where he played decent ball otherwise he played ah real heart attack brand.

I was impressed by kleberson especially in de world cup but i guess he getting beat down for struggling at Man U.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »

Tallman I went online trying to find the Brazil roster to see if I can recognize any of their players from the Copa Caribe but couldn't find it. Do you happen to have access to it by chance? If my memory serves correct I think they had a forward called Adriano and was wondering if that's the same one who played for Inter and Brazil in the last WC.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:44 PM »
Tallman I went online trying to find the Brazil roster to see if I can recognize any of their players from the Copa Caribe but couldn't find it. Do you happen to have access to it by chance? If my memory serves correct I think they had a forward called Adriano and was wondering if that's the same one who played for Inter and Brazil in the last WC.

Wasn't de same one.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
Anyone of those players mentioned would start on any team from Concacaf !

dont believe everything you read folks ...I around long , before google ... and I have seen some of those fellas play internationally and in the brazilian leagues ..vampeta is a legend in Brazil ..I wont go through them one by one but let me mention the most maligned one ...Serginho ..
go look at the game brazil played against argentina in world Cup 82 ...for the first 15 mins it was all argentina ..remeber they were the defending champions with the most famous young player player making his debut ... he had just lead Aregntina to the world youth Cup 79...brazil could not touch the ball ...then brazil got a free kick ..and Zico took it ...if you want to see save google dat !

the keeper could only parry and that was miraculous in itself ..but first to the rebound was serginho ..the man who took the blame for brazil's failure to win with what was aguably their best team since 1970...Socrates, Zico, eder, Falcao....etc....football was like a ballet ...they caressed the ball rather than kick it .
After that the game changed ..it was all brazil ...culminating in the sending off of maradona for an atrocious foul...
Yes they wanted to blame someone rather than the entire team ...lost in the consolation that serginho lost them the cup was the fact that they failed to contain Paulo rossi who had done nothing previously but who scored a memorable hattrick to silence Brazil and the world. he was not even fancied in Italy !!
the only one who had confience in him was the coach ...

Doh get tie up people ..this article is just the rant of a raving lunatic who had time on his hands ...
There are at least a hundred thousand players competing for every position on the field for Bazil ..you doh get to represent dat team jus so !!!!
Not every ting people sellin yuh must buy ...yuh have de option to pass it straight . Pass this one straight !

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:30 PM »

dont believe everything you read folks ...I around long , before google ... and I have seen some of those fellas play internationally and in the brazilian leagues ..vampeta is a legend in Brazil ..I wont go through them one by one but let me mention the most maligned one ...Serginho ..
go look at the game brazil played against argentina in world Cup 82 ...for the first 15 mins it was all argentina ..remeber they were the defending champions with the most famous young player player making his debut ... he had just lead Aregntina to the world youth Cup 79...brazil could not touch the ball ...then brazil got a free kick ..and Zico took it ...if you want to see save google dat !

the keeper could only parry and that was miraculous in itself ..but first to the rebound was serginho ..the man who took the blame for brazil's failure to win with what was aguably their best team since 1970...Socrates, Zico, eder, Falcao....etc....football was like a ballet ...they caressed the ball rather than kick it .
After that the game changed ..it was all brazil ...culminating in the sending off of maradona for an atrocious foul...
Yes they wanted to blame someone rather than the entire team ...lost in the consolation that serginho lost them the cup was the fact that they failed to contain Paulo rossi who had done nothing previously but who scored a memorable hattrick to silence Brazil and the world. he was not even fancied in Italy !!

Doh get tie up people ..this article is just the rant of a raving lunatic who had time on his hands ...
There are at least a hundred thousand players competing for every position on the field for Bazil ..you doh get to represent dat team jus so !!!!
Not every ting people sellin yuh must buy ...yuh have de option to pass it straight . Pass this one straight !

If people was to take on your post bout Serginho, dey would swear YOU was DE ONLY PERSON did see WC 82 on dis board.

Good ting oddah people see fuh deyself.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »
brazil got a free kick ..and Zico took it ...if you want to see save google dat !

the keeper could only parry and that was miraculous in itself ..but first to the rebound was serginho ..the man who took the blame for brazil's failure to win

Eder took that free kick....Zico rebounded it. 

Serginho scored a header in the 2nd half. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:56:50 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 06:47:50 PM »
brazil got a free kick ..and Zico took it ...if you want to see save google dat !

the keeper could only parry and that was miraculous in itself ..but first to the rebound was serginho ..the man who took the blame for brazil's failure to win

Eder took that free kick....Zico rebounded it. 

Serginho scored a header in the 2nd half. 

LOL!!  Why u had to expose jai like dat for?  ;D ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »

Partial 1999 Copa Caribe Brazil U-20 roster:
Silvino Carvalho
Anderson Da Silva
Marcio Da Silva
Roni De Aguilac Souza
Eduardo De Souza
Ewerton De Souza
Marcio Kessler
Afonso Martins Jr.
Alessandro Milagres
Alessandro Salvino
Denis Silva
Jeanderson Silva
Juliano Vicentine

The Adriano that played for the 1999 Brazil U-20 is a defender named Adriano Pereira da Silva. The Adriano you talkin bout is Adriano Leite Ribeiro. In 1999 he played for Brazil U-17 and U-23. He played for the U-20 in 2000.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

Partial 1999 Copa Caribe Brazil U-20 roster:
Silvino Carvalho
Anderson Da Silva
Marcio Da Silva
Roni De Aguilac Souza
Eduardo De Souza
Ewerton De Souza
Marcio Kessler
Afonso Martins Jr.
Alessandro Milagres
Alessandro Salvino
Denis Silva
Jeanderson Silva
Juliano Vicentine

They should call that side Silva, Souza & friends
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:52 AM »

If people was to take on your post bout Serginho, dey would swear YOU was DE ONLY PERSON did see WC 82 on dis board.

Good ting oddah people see fuh deyself.

Yeah boy Palos ...I had to google it like you to make sure ...is 1982 and i saw it on Tv but google save de day right . Eder took the free kick and both Zico and Serginho went for it ...Zico got to it just before serginho did, you first could only tell by his body language but Zico scored it.  serginho scored the second to make it 2-0 .

But since you on the bandwagon of bashing Serginho and your memory or computer skills obviously better than mine, maybe you could kindly mention or illustrate how serginho could be blamed for Brazil's loss in that World Cup, especially against Italy . I have included a replay for both our memories to support what I said about rossi ..maybe you can enlighten me as to why Serginho should be so maligned for the loss by a team so replete with stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTfPOzUc1JI

I especially want you too check 1.52 in the video ...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 05:46:31 AM »

I find Ze Maria was decent man. And Kleberson was one of the standout players the 2002 side.

fully agree ..this is a jokey article obviously written by someone with an axe to grind ...I support Argentina and that says a lot about my feelings concerning Brazil, but some of these players mentioned would have been credits to Argentina or any team over the years. 

1]; } ?>